Results poll Lunch Report Monday March 8, 2010

Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:01 pm

A good day to you all,

In last Monday's Lunch Report, I published a poll in which users of this forum were asked to indicate what board style they are using. Our web master Craig provided me with numbers that were current last Monday, and an updated set current for yesterday. Many thanks for that, Craig! To help me out here, I contracted the same company as use by the Tappet Brothers: statistician Paul Murky of Murky Research assisted by Marge Innovera.

So here are the results (drum roll, open the envelop please...):
    Style distribution for all members, Monday March 8, 2010
  1. prosilver: 103 (65.6%)
  2. proDark: 10 (6.4%)
  3. subsilver 2: 15 (9.6%)
  4. AcidTechGreen: 29 (18.5%)
    (Yes, Paul knows that it doesn't add up to 100%, but he pointed out that the mismatch is apparently due to something called rounding. I though that had only something to do with avoiding sharp ends of frets!)

(Second number in parentheses indicate difference with respect to Monday)
    Style distribution for all members, Friday March 12, 2010
  1. prosilver: 107 (59.1%)(+4)
  2. proDark: 15 (8.3%)(+5)
  3. subsilver 2: 11 (6.1%)(-4)
  4. AcidTechGreen: 48 (26.5%)(+19)

Style distribution poll participants
  1. prosilver: 5 (18.5%)
  2. proDark: 2 (7.4%)
  3. subsilver 2: 1 (3.7%)
  4. AcidTechGreen: 19 (70.4%)

What can we conclude from all of this? Paul told me I was on my own there. So lets take a stab at it. First, an additional 24 members joined over the course of the week! And apparently, somewhere between Craig sending me Fridays numbers and the time of writing, another 2 members joined. Second, it seems that AcidTechGreen is most popular amongst active members, where I use that term somewhat loosely but mean to indicate those that actively follow this board and participate. Even if it is only by hitting an option in a poll. The latter assessment is supported by the number of post associated with an LR being lower than the number of participants in each poll. Which brings me to my third conclusion: Polls are apparently an excellent way for people to contribute in a time efficient way. The problem of enticing contributions is thus shifted to the LR to try to conceive polls in such a way that interesting information can be gleaned from them and maybe relevant conclusions. The question why AcidTechGreen seems to be so popular amongst active members has been addressed in other posts. Suffice it to say that the sentimental reason of finding similarity in the color scheme between the new and old forum has a lot to do with it.

I would like to echo something Craig wrote in a response to Monday's LR. Try out all styles, take your time, and settle on one that makes sense to you. Have fun on the forum!