LR 11-14-2012 Protecting your gear.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:48 am

Hey Guys

Thanks for picking up some LR duties. :happy0065: (Brock, Blarg, Elwood :greet: )
Can we get some more?
There are still some open spots for those who have not pulled the trigger yet.

Today's Lunch: Burgers.

Today's topic will be a simple one. What do you use to protect gear?
Cases, stands, animals, locks, fences, guns. You name it. Anything and everything goes.
Let's see what you got.

:BangBang:

I really like these stands. Not those cheap tri-pod stands where I had the bottom fork break and the Fender Mustang fall forward and dent the fretboard against an object. :evil: Never again. These stands are made in Germany. Fantastic stuff.
The lip in front helps prevent ( not always ) the guitar falling forward.

All the guitars I have are out in the open. No case queens. One in each room.
Guns are easily accessible. :wave: This is how I protect my gear.

Re: LR 11-14-2012 Protecting your gear.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:37 pm

Nice gear. The stand is good too... I am a Second Amendment advocate and being from MN, I get the chance to own some serious hardware. However, no pics from me. That would be reckless... At the end of the day, my gear is just that: gear. It can be replaced. Life is a different story.

Cheers,

Will

Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:33 pm

i have 3 dogs, because most of the protection is needed when away from home. the guitars hang on the wall, so getting knocked off is not an issue. i am not worried someone trying to come in when i am home. but i also have many swords (real battle ready and can shave with them), 2 compound bows, one long bow, razor arrow tips, a masai spear and a masai club, carved out of a single piece of ebony, about a 1000X the impact of a baseball bat. plus firearms. basically my walls are full of guitars and weapons. but the sign up front should read, forget the dog, forget the weapons, beware of the owner.

meow, what's your protection when you are away

Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:38 pm

Meow, very nice guitar stand.The protection we have is an alarm system, and cases for the guitars if I take them somewhere. Most of the guitars are in hangers on the wall, I have a rack stand of 7 and a rack stand of 5. I have one display case. I also have a couple of Wolfpack cases for protection that I carry guitars to gigs in. That keeps the original cases in fine condition. I protect the gloss finishes with Mothers Carnuba. I protect them at gigs with a triple Hercules stand and If all else fails, Ginny is CERT trained and not a person to reckon with. No doubt that she can save both me and the cats. My daughter works in the Criminal Justice system and can handle herself very well. Safety of loved ones is always a concern and in todays world, who knows? It is a sobering thought -- Darwin

Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:58 am

Hey Guys,

I know this report did not sit well with others, but I'm glad I asked because there are things that need to be addressed.

louis: You ask a question I need to hear, yet don't want to hear it. There is always someone home. But in the future I need to look at getting a dog and/or alarm.

Darwin: Good to know you have all your basses covered.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:17 am

Hi Meow
Another cool week while I’ve been away.

Not into firearms at all, but anyone4 who knows my story would be surprised that I take security of my gear … and everything else I cherish … very seriously these days. Louis’ question regarding security when you’re not home is very pertinent. As I’ve mentioned before, a few years back our home was broken into when my band was on a country tour. The low-life that broke in did so after information on our band website told them (a) that our home probably had stuff worth stealing, (b) that we would be away for a particular period and (c) used the phone book to work out our home address. They also attempted to break into our drummer’s house over the same weekend.

What I haven’t previously said is that we came home to a house that had been trashed, leather lounge suites and other soft furnishing slashed, obscenities carved into timber furniture, an aquarium smashed with carpets still wet and littered with dead fish ….oh, and lets not forget the human waste left on the bed! Why? Well as smart as they might have been in joining dots to see an opportunity, they were obviously peeved when they realised that they weren’t smart enough to realise that much of what they had come for would be on the road with the band.

So as a result the band website no longer exists, I no longer provide details of the musical and other items that might be found at our home. While insurance made good on all the material stuff we had to move. Without going to details our current home is well protected.

cheers, Robbie