11-6-12 tuesday, election day

Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:50 pm

has anyone voted? sorry for the late report, i was at work til now.

my third meal was 5 pieces of tuna, 5 pieces of salmon sushi, 17.6 oz of nonfat greek yogurt.

onto guitars. my asat bluesboy as i received it.

here it is after the body blew up.

here is the new body from g&l. i didn't ask for the f-hole, but i don't mind it.

and here it is put together together with her sister as i promised darwin pics of it.

here are a few videos from a friend's birthday party, i am playing it after it blew up, before i got the new body. i never met any of these guys before.

[youtube]G7TLHrZBzIE[/youtube]

[youtube]6mmmcQtkaAM[/youtube]

i want to talk about g&l necks. after my guitar blew up, my tech told me to make sure i only get a body and keep the neck because it is one of the best necks he has ever seen. it is such a stiff piece of wood that it does not react to weather changes, can barely adjust it with the trussrod, the wood is so stiff. it's a #1 neck, but i would like #3 or #4 next. the earlier g&l's i have played all had relatively thinner necks.

g&l question. what's your favorite era of g&l necks. how about finishes? i like the satin finish, but would love if it were available with the darker vintage tint finish in satin.

i think this election exemplifies the definition of an election more than most others. "a biannual opportunity to choose between a number of bad alternatives, to make a fool of one's self and a wreck of one's country.

Re: 11-6-12 tuesday, election day

Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:09 pm

Hi Louis,

I missed yesterday's report unfortunately, but hope to catch up later.

Elections: I have a dim view of politicians and the political process. Having said that, I have more interest than usual in the current US election. My job is part of a US Gov't contract to provide the US Gov't with enough of a new generation anti-flu drug to protect US citizens in the event of a global flu pandemic (which is long overdue - swine flu is just a taste of what's to come). If Obama gets in I keep my job. If Romney gets in I'm unemployed. We're told Romney plans to freeze US Gov't contracts of this kind as of March 28th, 2013 as part of a spending cut.

G&L Necks: I also have a preference for a satin finish, but a good neck profile will trump the type of finish for me. This might be slightly controversial round here, but I like some of the satin Tribby necks. A lot. The 9" radius feels just right to me.

Those ASAT's are beautiful instruments Louis.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:57 pm

Did anyone ever offer an explanation about that body? I'd love to know!

I like the satin finish too, its very tactile However, all but one of mine have the gloss finish. What Phil said about the neck profile is spot on. The #1 neck is so comfortable to me that the finish isn't worth worrying about.

Go Obama!

Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:12 pm

Philby wrote: If Obama gets in I keep my job. If Romney gets in I'm unemployed.

I also work in public health, and agree completely.

louis cyfer wrote:what's your favorite era of g&l necks. how about finishes?

My frame of reference is almost entirely Leo-era instruments, but I absolutely love the necks on my three newer G&Ls (between '98 and '00). I honestly don't know what the finishes are on them, but they don't have the amber glossiness of the old ones, and don't seem like raw wood (the way the 30th Anniversary necks did to me). The necks on most of the recent G&Ls I've played have been way too thick for my taste.

The only Leo-era neck I've ever disliked was an '81 L1K I played a couple of weeks ago. It felt like my hand was sticking to it. Having owned nearly 20 Leo-era G&Ls in the past, this was the first time I've experienced this. Then again, I'm mainly a bassist and my guitar playing is about 98% chord work. If I was playing fast leads and making a lot of movement up and down the neck I might have a different perspective.

Ken

Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:34 am

did that body blow up over someones head?..lol, never seen damage like that unless it took a hard slam on the butt?
I like the #1 necks on the asats, but the trib necks are a little fatter than I like!, post election, well lets just say I'm gonna drown my sorrows!!

Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:02 am

Louis, I did vote on Monday as we attended the funeral of a 41 year old friend in northern Minnesota yesterday. A virus in the heart caused cardiac arrest.

You have two beautiful guitars in the picture. You are lucky in that the original body that blew up had such nice grain and the replacement is also a great grain pattern. The no pickguard is awesome.

I have mostly number 1 necks and I like the GOT gloss best. I do not find them sticky at all. I have also discovered that the satin necks gloss up quickly with use. The neck on my L-2500 in now glossy. I have also found this to be true of my satin Fenders. I also have a modern V neck which I like. I do prefer the 12" radius.-- Darwin

Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:13 pm

philby, i agree a pandemic is overdue, and there s not much we can do to avoid it.

blarg, nobody could explain, the guitar did not fall there is no damage from the outside. the pressure came from the inside.

ken, i like the newer thicker necks, they seem to be more stable and sound better to my ears, but who knows.

huck, there was no trauma to the guitar. it was not dropped or suffer any other damage.

darwin, the satin polishes up a bit, but a little sandpaper to the back and it is right back where it started.

Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:13 am

I definitely agree that thicker necks are a very good thing!
They sound better, stronger tone and much less deadspots. And my hand doesn't tire nearly as much as with a thinner one. If they're a bit thicker than they used to be, I can't wait (for the "next G&L").