LR for 11/1/12: Short post today

Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:53 am

Hard to believe it's already November. I don't know about you guys but the years just seem to be whizzing by. Is it just a fact of getting older or something else? Same with technology. I'm not on Facebook or any of those types of sites, and working for an Internet publisher I spend enough time online as it is. Nor do I see the allure of checking my "smart" phone every two minutes. Did we just not have that much to say in the past, or is the majority of conversation on social sites, etc., drivel? I like having a cell phone in case of emergency and certainly being able to text while doing something else is a plus at times, but seeing so many folks walking around with their heads in the 45 degree downward angle makes me wonder am I missing something, or maybe just don't have a life? Thoughts?

G&L

I'm going to go into more detail on this tomorrow but what is your rule, or not, for those instruments you keep and those you put on the block? For some guys the wife has set a one in, one out rule. For others it's about replacing lesser examples with better ones, and then there are the guys who are amassing more and more instruments and don't plan on thinning the herd. For example, I had a G-200 and while it played and sounded really good, it wasn't the end-all, be-all G&L for me, and it's borderline fugliness meant it went on the block. Instead I elected to keep a fairly pedestrian model that will probably have little or no collector value simply because I like the looks of it better and it fits my needs playing and sound-wise. What's your take on this?

Re: LR for 11/1/12: Short post today

Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:34 pm

Jon, today we are exposed to smart everythings. I am amazed that you kids sit next to each other and text each other. They do not talk. Our kids all text and they are reluctant to answer a phone. I don't text or even have texting on my phone. I can't see the letters on these dinky little keyboards and I would look stupid holding a magnifying glass and trying to text. Enough on this rant. I must say we bought a Smart TV yesterday. I still see TV on it and I didn't even read the smart section in the manual. What do these things do anyway????? I had trouble hooking things up (Yellow/Red/White Cables) as there are not enough inputs. I stopped at Radio Shack to see If I could get adapters to use some of the other plugs. The kid looked at me like I'm crazy. He told me I need some kind of hub. I think they consider all my stuff obsolete. Now Ginny is talking about dish TV.

What is my criteria for guitar purchases? It is hard to explain. I am getting close to figuring it out. I have owned over 75 guitars in the last 5 years and these are American or quality instruments. I currently have about 45 so that means that 30 of them are down the road. Some of the early ones I wanted to own and got a deal I couldn't turn down. I didn't necessarily think about collector value but could I recover my cost or make a bit on them. Then I go through a period of time where nothing in the store turns my crank. Then I would find one that jumps right out at me. I have become much more selective in what I am looking for and I have reached a point where I do not have any trading stock left. I want to keep every one that I have. This is a serious problem as I do not have room for many more and I don't want to trade any of them. So I am starting to figure what I like. All of them. I have finally figured it out and I am only going to be 70 in a few months. To bad I couldn't figure this out earlier. I really like G&Ls that are limited builds and special for a reason. I won't see them as collectible in my lifetime but they will be some sweet guitars 50 years from now. There is always a risk that they will be burned for heat when the world becomes overpopulated but I won't be around to see that. in the meantime, I'll enjoy the hell out of them. I really like the Alnicos as they are sweet and take a bit of the bite out and did I mention the overtones? They were around for years but these new Alnicos are as good as it gets.--Darwin

Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:35 pm

Thin response day... I do a bit of the social thing, but my computers and phones are also for beta testing. I still have an iBook Snow edition running OS9.2 and use it for audio post-production with Waves & BIAS software w/ Audiosuite too...

I've dumped my fair share of guitars, but not like some on here. I tend to only keep players and players that work for me. I hate parting with amps and kept them all, although I'm careful when selecting these. For the most part it's Soldano's and MFD's.

Cheers,

Will

Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:16 pm

I'm not interested in smart phones for the same reasons - too many people walk around looking at them, being anti-social, walking in front of buses etc.

If I like a guitar I'll keep it, simple as that. I get rid of guitars if they don't do it for me. I've sold around 5, no where near some of you guys! I seem to go through more amps than I do guitars - there are plenty that I wish I'd kept.

The only fugly thing on that G-200, IMO, is the control plate. Ewww.

Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:17 pm

I do have a buying strategy, probably pretty weird. I buy guitars that I like; guitars that have the features I like; guitars that I can use on stage.

I like Strats, and the Legacy is the best Strat, with the features and upgrades that are the best for me. The other G&Ls I have give me other picksups--different tones yet the same ergonomics. I like Gibsons with bar tailpieces...SGs, LPs, 335s. I don't like trapeze tails; I don't like Bigsbys, especially the double-roller models. I need a guitar that sustains well. I prefer factory guitars over small unknown builds. There are more criteria, of course.

But, I leave all the weird, kinky guitars for Will Ray. :happy0007:

I've bought with an eye to investment, but I've stayed out of the vintage market...too many pitfalls, too many fakes and frauds. So I have a 52 guitar portfolio at the moment. Lots of dupes, many LPs and Legacys. Tried to buy low, with the aim of selling high...with the idea that trying to sell ten guitars and making $200 profit on each one is a better deal than risking $10k on a vintage guitar in a volatile market.

Of course, I'll probably die before I sell any! Lol! And I may want to take a couple with me!

Bill

Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:54 pm

i don't sell guitars. i gave away a few that i didn't want to kids that wanted to play. but the ones i have are staying, i sold my very first electric guitar, it was a czech copy of a tele called vicomte. it was actually not bad but needed the money for the squier strat. i even have most of my pedals and amps, other than the boogies, i sold those with pleasure, no regrets.