It's still Friday to me late Lunch Report for 10/26/2012

Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:53 pm

So, Saturday started an hour and 37 minutes ago here. I just realized there was no LR posted. Got back moments ago from a neighborhood Halloween adult costume party. My wife and I don't get out too much, so it was nice to hire a sitter, dress funny, and drink things called "Martinis" but resembled their namesake only in the glasses used to serve them. And to make smalltalk with neighbors that were difficult to recognize.

Anybody doing anything special (or traditional for you) for Halloween this year? Do you have the holiday where you live? If so, what are your traditions? Any spooky stories you want to share about Halloweens past? How has celebrating changed for now that you're (probably) not a kid anymore?

G&L: I've owned an '82 SC-2 for several years now. It's red with black hardware, big black dots on the neck, black pickup covers, etc. The nut material is black as well and because it just seemed to look so right to me, I just realized today that the nut I've got is almost certainly a replacement (which is fine from an aesthetic and functional perspective, but perhaps detracting to the extent that "all original" might be important).

Anyhow I'm trying to find out exactly what the nut material on this guitar might be, but am looking for some guidance when trying to distinguish Graph Tech from Black Tusq for example.

Lunch today was a fresh sesame bagel with salmon cream cheese spread, tomato, half a banana, and a strong cup of unadulterated English Breakfast tea. - ed

Re: It's still Friday to me late Lunch Report for 10/26/2012

Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:10 pm

i choose trick instead of treat. they ask me, so the choice is mine. so i scare the snot out of little kids. did the ghostrider thing a few years ago with my skull bike face cover that glows under the black light. they should have been smart enough that the porch light was a black light. this year i am wearing my dragon mask and using my creambrulee torch to breathe fire. i don't have to bother to get candy, they don't stick around to see if there is any, they go running away screaming.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:11 am

Nice save Ed. It's been Saturday here for hours! Nothing says 'celebration' like a crap Martini. If there's one drink you want made properly its one of them. We don't celebrate Halloween here, but I always expect to see TP in at least a few trees, as well as a number of vehicles sealed in in cling film.

Can't help you with black nuts, sorry... pass the iced vovos :D

Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:35 am

zapcosongs wrote:Anybody doing anything special (or traditional for you) for Halloween this year?

No traditions here. The local high school football team will be playing their second round playoff game on Halloween night. I'll probably go to that.

zapcosongs wrote: Do you have the holiday where you live?

Yes, they celebrate it here. Thankfully, since I've started giving out bouillon cubes on Halloween the kids have quit coming around. :shocked003:

zapcosongs wrote:Anyhow I'm trying to find out exactly what the nut material on this guitar might be, but am looking for some guidance when trying to distinguish Graph Tech from Black Tusq for example.

That's a good question and I don't have an answer. I recently bought a Stratocaster that has a black nut and I've been trying to figure out which material it is. I'd like to switch it to bone, but the guitar resonants so well the way it is that I'm not sure that it would be worth doing.

Sprinter 92

Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:41 am

Ed, a midnight report is great, maybe that is what it takes to get some more of our new members to post LR's and you could also pass out Martinis! I'll bite on that.

I try to lay low on Halloween and watch the cats and Ginny usually gets the door.

How has celebrating changed for now that you're (probably) not a kid anymore?

The celebrating hasn't changed much but the recovery time has increased! We still talk smart until 6 AM after the second night of our gigs but we try to get to bed by 3:30 AM after the first night. It takes me a couple of days to get back on track.

I also have no idea on the nut material but I have to admit that I wish mine all had a LSR nut. I really like them and they are easily adjustable by shimming. You never have binding. -- Darwin

Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:50 am

No parties for me this time. With moving and everything, most of our neighbors travel a lot or somewhere else... I'm OK with the matching hardware on G&L's. A few days ago, I posted my S-500 and it is all matched in white. I love tea too. Is "unadulterated" a brand name?

Cheers,

Will

Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:16 pm

Did someone say Martini's?

Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:06 pm

Yep. But let's make them real ones.

As far as tea is concerned, "unadulterated" means no milk, sugar, etc. - ed

Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:59 am

and a strong cup of unadulterated English Breakfast tea. - ed