Tuesday: 16-Oct

Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:31 am

Yesterday's post was fun seeing the various amps, new and vintage, that people have collected along the way. While this forum is dedicated to the love of G&L guitars, I'm going to spotlight my newest acquisition which is not G&L. However, I believe there are some styling cues that might find a new niche for them. But, before I get into that let's talk L U N C H !

I went to Captain D's today. I haven't been there in quite a while but do like to go there on occasion. Today's entree is the 3-piece fish with a double order of fried okra and a diet Coke.

My newest guitar is an LSL CV Saticoy Special in dark blue. They have done a great job at aging this guitar with a light patina on the hardware and light checking on the finish. They've also engineered the neck so that it looks and feels like a guitar that is much older than its build date. I used it at a gig last week and had a lot of fun playing it. If you look at the upper bout, you can see the checking that's been applied to the paint job. They've got this applied to the entire paint job. It really does give the guitar a very cool vibe. It looks new, yet not. Anyway, what do you all think about G&L offering this up as an optional finish?

Since I did broach the topic of newest guitars, what do you have that is new from G&L or other make?

RickT

Re: Tuesday: 16-Oct

Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:19 am

Isn't the G&L Rustic series somewhat in this ballpark? I know the relicing they do on those are more in the Fender "Closet Classic" vein, but it would seem that G&L has already gone down this pathway to some extent? I have only bought one new guitar and that one is long gone, but recently traded off 51 effects pedals for a brand new Bourgeois all-mahogany OM short scale. I'm playing much more acoustic these days and although it's still the honeymoon phase, this guitar is first rate and giving my Collings OM a case of the "envies." LOL. I've heard only good things about LSL guitars and have to say that color is the tits! If I were to get another electric I would seriously consider one of those or a Dan-O-Caster.

Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:39 am

hey rick......sorry i'm a day late on the amp subject.......i see a swart in your arsenal.....is it an Atomic Space Tone or an Atomic Jr.??....what are your thoughts on Swart amps......i've been thinking about an Atomic Jr

Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:42 am

rlbaker54 wrote:hey rick......sorry i'm a day late on the amp subject.......i see a swart in your arsenal.....is it an Atomic Space Tone or an Atomic Jr.??....what are your thoughts on Swart amps......i've been thinking about an Atomic Jr

It is the Swart AST. It is one of the best amps I've ever played. Even though it is only 20-watts, it is my main gigging amp. Send me a private message and I can send you some more detail on the Swart.

This is a picture of it when it was new along with the Broadcaster I used to own.

RickT

Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:32 pm

Rick,

That LSL does look nice. I've only seen pictures of the G&L rustic finish. I don't know if I'd ever order one but they look OK to me. I think with the right guitar and right finish the rustics can look pretty nice. I'd certainly take one of those over the heavy road-worn finishes. Although I will say a friend of mine bought a Nash strat a couple of years ago with the heavy relic finish. It plays and sounds wonderful.

jeff

Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:18 pm

Lunch today was a bowl of Chicken Noodle soup! I really go out on the limb for lunch.

Very nice looking LSL. I have looked at them at AGB and they are very nice. The cracks in the finish bring back memories after I left my Gibson overnight, in the car in below zero weather back in 1962. I had an overnight relic job. I sold it a couple of years later and the buyer didn't mind. I have always been an as new guy but I did go out on the limb a bit less than 2 weeks ago. I came home with a new Bluesboy with the Naked finish. It has grown on me but did not overwhelm me at first. When I ordered it I assumed it would have a nice gloss finish. So much for assumptions. Here is a couple of photos with different lighting. I ordered a GOT neck and am glad that I did as it will match even better if the Equatorial Mahogany darkens with age. It has a bridge Alnico and weighs 6.2 lbs..-- Darwin

Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:14 pm

I didn't have time to post a reply to your amp question yesterday, so I have combined them with today's question. My amps are: '56 Fender Princeton, '71 Fender Princeton Reverb, '97 Top Hat Club Royale and a Peavey Delta Blues with a 1x15" speaker. I run the Princeton reverb into a Bogner, Metropolis cabinet with a 1 x 12" speaker. The combination of the Princeton's 10" speaker and the Bogner's 12" sounds great!

The guitar is a '96 Asat Deluxe. It has a very nice flame top, but it doesn't show up in photos very well. The next time it needs strings, I'll replace the stock Seymour Duncan JB bridge pickup with a Seymour Duncan, Custom 5.

Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:05 pm

this is my latest guitar, a 94 srv with ohsc all case candy. i swapped the pg to a callamah pg with the callaham spec'ed fralin 54 pups. the trussrod was bad, the fret worn, got it re radiused, and fix the trussrod in the meantime, plus jescar evo 610057 frets. i paid 400 for thr guitar, soi didn't mind to put 500 bucks into it, it is still a steal.

Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:22 pm

Hey Rick, great looking LSL. I actually like the Rustic series that G&L offers, I'd seriously consider one if they weren't so expensive. I guess I'll stick to relic-ing my own for now :mrgreen:

Lunch was a Ham/spinach sandwich with some chips and an apple

Nothing new lately, but new pickups are on my list for my classic...and it just so happens my birthday is next week :think:

-Dave

Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:28 pm

Sprinter 92 wrote:...'97 Top Hat Club Royale ...

It's been interesting to watch the Top Hat logos and cosmetics over the years. Brian has been constantly evolving his designs over the years. I had an early 2000s Club Royal. It was a fun amp and not sure why I sold it.

RickT

Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:31 pm

louis cyfer wrote:...i paid 400 for thr guitar...

You got quite a deal on that guitar. Even with the additional cost of repair and upgrade it's still a bargain. Congratulations on your find!

RickT

Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:33 pm

Dave_P wrote:...new pickups are on my list for my classic...

What pickups did you have in mind?

RickT

Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:50 pm

Hey Rick -

How does she compare to the Grosh? - ed

Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:53 pm

Hey Rick, thats a lovely collection of amps you've got.

My most recent purchases - The Korina Jr, which I haven't left alone since I got it, and a Trans-tube Peavey Rage which I picked up for $50. IMO the Peavey is the best practice amp available. The guitar is leaning against an Envoy, larger brother of the Rage, which I bought for $40. Surprisingly the Rage has a better dirty channel!

I'm not into the relic thing so I'll refrain from commenting on it!

Jonc - That Bourgeois is gourgeois :thumbup:

Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:38 am

zapcosongs wrote:Hey Rick -

How does she compare to the Grosh? - ed

The LSL compares quite favorably to my Grosh Retro Classic. The neck dimensions are very similar as is the "feel" of the neck. Both guitars are bright, which was surprising in the LSL since it does have the rosewood fingerboard. Apparently, the pickups are wound to account for that. However, I still give the edge to the Grosh for tone because there is more meatiness to the overall sound. Pricewise, I think the LSL would have the edge by a couple of hundred dollars.

RickT