Tuesday October 9th Lunch Report

Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:08 pm

Thank you, to everyone that responded to yesterday's Lunch Report.

Lunch: Lunch was two grilled chicken wraps at the Dairy Queen.

Yesterday, we discussed purchasing used vs. new guitars. Being a big time car guy, I want to ask the same question about cars. Do you purchase new or used automobiles? I buy new trucks for two reasons. The first reason is that I travel fairly frequently and I want something that is reliable. The second reason is, I spend 40+ hours a week working on other peoples cars. I don't want to have to work on my own except for basic maintenance.

Guitars: Would you like to see the G&L fine tuner equipped tremolo reissued?

Amps: What size speakers do you prefer in your amp? I like the pairing of a 10" with a 12" speaker.

Projects: I'm on vacation for the rest of the week! I'm hoping to complete my G&L project guitar this week. It'll probably be unveiled in Thursdays Lunch Report. I have '78 Telecaster project that might also be completed this week.

Re: Tuesday October 9th Lunch Report

Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:35 pm

I've never bought a brand new car. The last two were lightly used, this Town and Country van had 16K on it, and my Plymouth Voyager had 34K. Buying a one year old car saves you a big hit on depreciation.

I can't really see them bring back the Fine Tuner DF Vibrato. I would imagine most of us would prefer that they brought back the Micro-Tilt neck.

I'm pretty much a 12" guy (If you know what I mean!!!)!!! :happy0065:

God, that sounds dirty! LOL!

I do love old Dual Showmans with the 15" speakers, and I also love some amps with 10"s, like the Music Man 210-65/130 and Vibrolux Reverbs. I had an old Fender Super Champ with an EV 10" that was killer. Surprisingly to me, I've never bonded with a 410 Super Reverb. They are just too "quick", for lack of better word.

Even with ten inches, being too quick can be a bad thing.

(If you know what I mean!!!!) :happy0007:

Bill

Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:48 pm

Like my guitars, I buy my vehicles new if I can afford it and I'm getting a good deal. I've used the Ford X-Plan on my past few purchases which has saved me some money and the time and hassle of haggling for a price.

I like the sound of a 12" speaker, and now that I'm older and wiser, a single 12 cab is just fine. Although, I will admit there is something magical with a good 4x10 cab. I had a Matchless Clubman paired with a 4x10 cabinet and that was a great sounding bit of kit.

Regarding the fine tuner DF vibrato, since I've never seen or heard one, I can't say I'm swayed one way or another.

Looking forward to seeing your project guitar.

Oh, did someone say Super Champ? I've got one of those. In fact, I've got two of those. I had three but sold one to our bass player's son.

RickT

Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:55 pm

I am a used car guy having bought some new cars when I was young. The last new one was 88 and I recently bought my Town & Country used with low mileage. I would still be driving my 93 Olds 98 if it weren't for band gear. I used to do all my own work but now I am having oil changes done. For 15.99, I can't do it myself.
I would rather check guitars which I have been doing tonight. Truss Rod checks and waxing. I did 5 of them. I am starting my fall maintenance routine.

I don't see much reason for a DF fine tune vibrato. The tuners are so good that it isn't necessary. Like Bill, I would like a micro tilt although it is not always needed either.

As for speakers, give me 15's anytime. The JBL 15's are as good as it gets. The dispersion pattern is the best. The new Fender 15 that is built like the JBL is awesome. It has a cast frame and is huge with a wide dispersion pattern. Looking forward to seeing your projects Steve.-- Darwin

Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:03 pm

The last used car I bought for myself was a '74 AMC Matador, back in the mid-80s. I paid $200, and got $500 in trade two years later when I bought my first new car. A couple of years ago we bought a used Volvo for my wife, which she will drive until it disintigrates (hopefully sometime in the 2020s).

I'm not much of a car guy, but I like having them paid off while there's still 100K miles left in them. I bought my first new VW in '87, replaced it with a new Subaru in '99, and replaced that with another VW last year. I intend to get at least another 12 years out of this one!

I've always preferred the tightness of 10" speakers, even when I'm playing bass. My main amp is a Fender Bassman Ten with four tens. I do have couple of 12s - my Blues Jr. and two GK combos I use for the upright bass and practices on the bass guitar. If I was into higher volumes I may like 12s more. Even on bass I don't care for 15s. They're just too floppy and unfocused to my ears. Then again, I go for a lot of upper mids rather than trying to make the floor shake.

I wouldn't mind seeing a fine tuner again. My current go-to guitar is the '86 ASAT with a Kahler. I don't use the vibrato at all when I play, but I do really like the precision it gives for tuning.

Ken

Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:21 pm

I tend to buy new cars for my wife because she doesn't put many miles on them and I feel better about the potential for breakdowns. That said she also drives them forever. The current car is a 8 year old Chevy Impala with 85k. Her previous car was a Saturn that she drove for 13 years with just over 110k on it when we got rid of it. I'm fortunate that I have had a company car to drive for the last 15 years. That will be changing soon. I will probably look used for myself.

I don't have any experience with the fine tuner bridge. My locking Sperzels have always been adequate For my floating bridge guitars.

I don't know that speaker size means much to me. I had a 15" in a Traynor (PTP Bassman knock-off) as a young kid. I wish I knew then what I know now. I let that amp go for $50 when all it need was some basic re-furbishing. My Riveras have always had 12"s. I really like the sound of the vintage 30s in closed cabinets. I also have a 410 cabinet from an early 60s Standel amp that I inherited from my uncle. The cabinet build is terrible but the speakers are 10" Jensens. They have a real nice smooth breakup.

Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:31 pm

i buy used cars. i won't spend more tan a 1000 bucks on a car. drive it til it breaks down, get another. usually i buy one when a great deal comes up, so it is ready to go. my current corolla has been running great with basic maintenance for 5 years. i like both 10's and 12's.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:31 am

I'm a car nut!, make that a truck nut'' have a 65 ford custom cab pickup that I finished restoring last year! love the fact that the only
electronic's are the Battery and electric points. And I'll take one 12 in my peavey classic all day long, but do own a Frontman 212 oh, We were talking new or used, well? my wife drives the new ones so I feel she's safe to get from point A to B and back..

Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:30 am

Lunch: Anybody's guess at this point.

I'm a new car guy - I've had some bad experiences with used cars, so I've bought new cars ever since. I tend to buy a new car when the old one starts giving me trouble. We don't drive a lot of miles, so a new car will be reliable for 10-12 years.

Speakers: I currently own 2 Fender HR Deville amps - one is a 212, the other is a 410. I prefer the 410. The sounds are more crisp; especially on the low end. That being said, I'd sell either or both to replace them with 15 watt amps! A 60 watt tube amp is way more than I need at home! Live & learn :BadIdea:

Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:32 pm

Lunch for me was hummus and some chips... so far.

I don't buy cars often, but almost always new (the used market these days is crazy high). My last "used" was my old LM..

Guitars: I'd like to find a lefty anything with the fine tuner. Otherwise the DFV or Kahler do just fine.

Speakers: 12's & Eminence Legend V1216's for electric and 10' & 12' for acoustic (Trace or Crate Acoustic w/ a 1X12 Carvin cab for two speakers). Sounds great with Ovation/Adamus.

Cheers,

Will