Thursday, October 4, 2012

Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:26 am

Hi gang,

Welcome to World Animal Day!
ImageImage
and the 55th Anniversary of the launch of Sputnik.

Yesterday was a rotten day with the soar throat. But I feel better now. At least it gave me the opportunity to react promptly.

Lunch:
Who knows? Posting early and I have no idea yet. But I'll fill you in on it.

G&L related
Before all the talk about a GbL LE II, there was the 'www.guitarsbyleo.com' Limited Edition produced in 1999. Just to put things a bit in perspective, that initiative was started by Doug Abrams (then at Indoor Storm in the tricollege area in NC) in 1998 and also took several month to almost up to a year to come to fruition. So in that sense, we're not doing too bad. In all, 25 GbL LE's were build with the buyer being able to choose neck profile and board radius. I present #19 here. Unfortunately, the documents associated with this guitar were misplaced in a move, but there is still hope they will be found one day.
ImageImage
ImageImage

As you see, a gorgeous hog semi-hollow body with f-hole and a full set of S-500 pups with expander switch. The board is ebony and #19 has a #1d neck: 12" radius and V-profile. The headstock looks like this:
ImageImage
You'll notice the special model decal and the Schaller locking machines. The configuration of this model comes closest to the Leo-era ASAT III (one was recently listed on eBay). But the difference between a maple body and hog body is noticeable. I had to work a bit to set my amp to make this guitar sound great. Just have to make a mental note of the settings.

Q: Are you still pining for a second edition of the GbL LE? Does it take too long? Do you take a wait and see approach?

Non-G&L related
After I saw Rufus on Monday, I saw Joe Jackson on Tuesday; this time with the wife! With Joe's concerts you'll never know what you get. He might harken back to his early punk days, or perform complete orchestral rewrites of his tunes and anything in between. His approach undoubtedly keeps him on his toes so he doesn't get bored with repeating himself. But as a fan, it can be either taxing or vexing or inspiring depending on the result or your own expectations of an artist. I personally like it when an artist throws you for a loop once in a while. That why I still listen to 'Zero Tolerance For Silence' by Pat Metheny or never stopped listening to Kate Bush (no Katefan, you're not the only Kate fan on this forum) or Joe Jackson for that matter. Or Zappa ….

Q: Do have an artist whom you consider to come up with fresh ideas frequently or reinvent him/herself?

Another tune from the early '80's and most likely its watershed moment. When this song was released, with prostitution as its theme (see this English translation), finally Dutch lyrics were taken serious.
[youtube]VO_As7zM-xE[/youtube]

One more to go.

- Jos

Re: Thursday, October 4, 2012

Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:07 am

I've had a chance to buy one of the GBL's several times and passed. I love semi-hollow's for their different sound but hate the F-hole. I've had several semi's including that sweet Z-2 and they sit in the mix and record really well. But give me a "solid top" semi any day. It's also interesting how many folks think a semi is going to be lighter in weight than a solid body. I've had a couple that were, but for most part they've been about on par, and some have been boat anchors. I still think the best G&L semi is the Trinity, and I'd love to see a 2 pup version as i found the middle pup to get in the way. of course the sound pallet it offers mitigates this to a great extent. one of my fave semi's and one i shouldn't have sold, also had the nicest BEM i've seen. but you know how that one goes. can't keep em all. or can you?

Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:24 am

Glad to hear your better Jos. Sam and Magic are not happy about the weather turn here in Minnesota and are hanging with me in the garage. You have happy looking kitties!

I have always thought the GBL was a beautiful guitar. I have hopes of the new one as being interesting also and am willing to wait. One of my favorites for looks has been the 52 Tele in Butterscotch and the G&L Launch Alnico in Butterscotch is as nice as they get and a much better guitar in my opinion. I had a tough time leaving one behind yesterday but I can't have them all.

As for artists who have stayed in touch with times, I think that Mark Knopfler has evolved over the years and even though he has the identifiable sound, has done many different things and styles. I believe that he is also a master at arranging. I enjoy most of what he does and am especially fond of his Neck and Neck with Chet. it was fun to watch those guys. I am going to have to upgrade my internet so I can watch video clips without the long download times.

Jonc, I can see why you regret selling that one. Best color and neck ever!-- Darwin

Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:31 am

Q: Are you still pining for a second edition of the GbL LE? Does it take too long? Do you take a wait and see approach?

I want one, but this year. Clearly, it's not going to happen. If a dealer can get a One-Off, we should be able to pull an order together. Really, how many One-Off's have you seen lately? Looks like every G&L dealer has a few... If not, I'll either find on the shelf or special order a BB w/ spalted alder & that cooked neck.

Q: Do have an artist whom you consider to come up with fresh ideas frequently or reinvent him/herself?

There are bits and pieces of material that I look for in classics like King Crimson, Yes, ELP, ABWH. Very inspiring...

Cheers,

Will

Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:14 pm

Lunch update: sandwich with salami (soppressata to be more precise), glass of milk

- Jos

Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:26 pm

jonc wrote:but you know how that one goes. can't keep em all. or can you?

Well, you can but you need a heck of a lot of storage space ;) But great looking guitar. I guess you are talking about a chambered (i.e. semi-hollow, no f-hole) maple bodied guitar but otherwise the ASAT Super would be your model.

darwinohm wrote:Sam and Magic are not happy about the weather turn here in Minnesota and are hanging with me in the garage.

We still have a lot of sunshine here and temperatures in the high-60s. Our kitties love the new deck as much as we do.

willross wrote:There are bits and pieces of material that I look for in classics like King Crimson, Yes, ELP, ABWH. Very inspiring...

Had to look up ABWH, which turned out to be a band entirely in the vein of the other bands you mention. And they have always tried to amalgamate music from different genres and styles. So I agree there.

- Jos

Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:45 pm

The Super is a hell of a guitar and I had one for a short time. I do wonder what the difference is between "chambered" and "semi-hollow" in practical terms. As the Fullerton Red ASAT I posted was definitely a semi. Overall, my fondness and preference for Leo-era G&L's means I don't look at BBE-era guitars for purchase all that much. Although I think they are stellar instruments and have a "polish" to them that surpasses the Leo-era guitars and basses imho. That said, a maple-bodied 2-pup "Trinity" would be great.

Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:08 pm

I've never seen a Trinity or the LE, only in pics...but they do look fantastic. I suppose if one came to me cheap enough, I would; but I really prefer the Legacy bodies.

What would you call a Trinity with only two pickups? A Duality? I think Tim came up with a great name for that guitar...on SO many levels.

I still think the next GbL Limited Edition should be my specs for a Comanche XII. And yes, I am still whining! :cry:

As for an artist re-inventing himself--the obvious choice is Madonna. Like her or not, she's been pretty savvy about keeping herself on top and relevant. She's no dumb blonde, that's for sure.

And John Mayer, going from singer songwriter to bluesman--that must have taken a real leap of faith from his management team.

The last few of weeks of lunch reports have been really great. Thanks!

Bill

Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:09 pm

Boogie Bill wrote:What would you call a Trinity with only two pickups? A Duality?

Guess a Banality. Damn that auto-correct spellchecker ... :problem: I meant 'Binality'. ;)

Bill, I am a big Mayer fan too. I liked him when I saw the live version of 'Covered in Rain' and subsequently got 'Heavier Things'. But my respect really increased when he released 'Try!'. What a great album!

- Jos

Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:35 am

G&L. I always liked the look of the LE on the GbL home page and your #19 looks its equal. The ASAT III in the auction you linked only attracted three bids and sold for $885! Seems to represent a remarkable lack of interest. Someone got lucky? or not much love for the melding of a tele body with a strat configuration?

Q: Are you still pining for a second edition of the GbL LE? Does it take too long? Do you take a wait and see approach? I'm an interested observer of the LE2 (I'm with Jamie on the nomenclature) project but unlikely to buy. I'm not a collector or investor so LE2 woulld have to be a guitar that meets a current need a tthe time it hits the market for me to be interseted. I do think the red proto in Jag's signature block has a great modern retro look and with the right pups would be highly attractive to a lot of indie/alternative players. These things do take time but I see its been a week and a half now since Jag emailed Dave for an update. And when LE2 becomes a reality will Craig have to change the pic on the GbL home page? ... or maybe have rolling images of both?

Q: Do have an artist whom you consider to come up with fresh ideas frequently or reinvent him/herself? JJ would have to be a lead candidate for this title. As for others ... David Bowie perhaps?

Boogie Bill wrote:What would you call a Trinity with only two pickups?
Deficient

cheers, Robbie

Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:02 am

Jos,
Good job this week,
Will,
It sounds like we have the same music collection, especially if you sprinkle in Fusion. I got turned on to Return to Forever in the mid seventies and that opened up my eyes to some incredible music by Weather Report, Alan Holdsworth, PFM etc. One artist that comes to mind when talking about changing with the times has to be Jeff Beck. He even made some techno music almost tolerable.
Jonc,
Although I agree that the newer guitars are nice, the poly finishes look plastic dipped to me. If there is one thing I would have to point to in the "Mojo" aspect of an instrument, it would have to be that real wood appearance of vintage instruments. I am currently running a high end cabinet shop and we go to great lengths to make our products look authentic. So much of the industry has gone towards durability and ease of application, that wood begins to look like Formica. Of course, that is just my opinion and that is the only thing I would claim to be an expert at.
Fred

Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:39 am

Fred Finisher wrote:Jos,
I got turned on to Return to Forever in the mid seventies and that opened up my eyes to some incredible music by Weather Report, Alan Holdsworth, PFM etc.
:clap: ... although my first introduction was Bruford's One of a Kind album ... and I almost posted a PFM track on Monday!

Fred Finisher wrote:Although I agree that the newer guitars are nice, the poly finishes look plastic dipped to me.
Seconded!
cheers, Robbie

Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:58 am

Fred Finisher wrote:Jos,
Good job this week,
Will,
It sounds like we have the same music collection, especially if you sprinkle in Fusion. I got turned on to Return to Forever in the mid seventies and that opened up my eyes to some incredible music by Weather Report, Alan Holdsworth, PFM etc. One artist that comes to mind when talking about changing with the times has to be Jeff Beck. He even made some techno music almost tolerable.
Jonc,
Although I agree that the newer guitars are nice, the poly finishes look plastic dipped to me. If there is one thing I would have to point to in the "Mojo" aspect of an instrument, it would have to be that real wood appearance of vintage instruments. I am currently running a high end cabinet shop and we go to great lengths to make our products look authentic. So much of the industry has gone towards durability and ease of application, that wood begins to look like Formica. Of course, that is just my opinion and that is the only thing I would claim to be an expert at.
Fred

Thanks for the compliment Fred and nice to see you check in. Check out the Friday report where we talk about an '82 G-200. Certainly doesn't look 'plastic dipped' :happy0007:

Aussie wrote:G&L. I always liked the look of the LE on the GbL home page and your #19 looks its equal. The ASAT III in the auction you linked only attracted three bids and sold for $885! Seems to represent a remarkable lack of interest. Someone got lucky? or not much love for the melding of a tele body with a strat configuration?

Somebody got very lucky. The Cherryburst maple body ASAT III I got from Tom Giberson is still one of my other favorite goto guitars. IMO, it sounds a tad better than #19, but that may be personal taste. Or it is that Leo-era mojo again ...

And Robbie, good luck reinventing yourself over and over again. Every morning when waking up perchance? ;)

- Jos

Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:27 am

For those interested, one of the 2 prototypes for the GbL LE is currently put up for auction on eBay. According to the Registry, this prototype is still owned by Jake (Kurdsjuk) and documented in the Gallery. G&L experimented with a Gun-oil Tinted Neck and a stain to try to match both ends instead of the Clear Gloss finish on the neck and Natural Finish on the body as used on the production models (and prototype #1). So if someone wants to own a piece of G&L history ...

- Jos

Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:49 pm

I 'm with JonC . It's not that I don't like the F hole but it has never looked right on a Tele body to me.
I always find myself looking for the other F hole.
Having said that I'm happy they can't ship to Australia
Maybe if it was pare BBL design I would be into the look more
Cheers
Anthony