LR- Finally Friday 09/21/12

Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:05 am

Thanks for your participation this week. Lunch today will be veggies and dip.

The topic for the day involves G&L and many others. As many of you know, I have way more guitars than I need. There are many people on the forum who have several guitars and some have many. Some are very deliberate in the guitars they chose and others are looking for something especially if it is interesting and at the right price. I have not been deliberate in my overall selection of guitars. So the discussion today is what are your views and how do you plan, or do you plan your next guitar out in detail. I thought long about bringing this up as it can be very personal. Jaystrings wrote a book about GAS. We all joke about it, but what is really behind all this. Most of us on the forum do not depend on our music for our living although some of you are very successful at doing just that. For those that do, the guitars and gear are tools of the trade. I think it is safe to say that many of us on the forum are passionate about our guitars, especially the G&L product, as that is what has brought most of us here. I am going to share my thoughts and I hope that you will share yours.

After many years away from playing, I returned back to it in 1999. I had a 67 Fender Mustang bass and a 1966 Bassman amp, neither of which I still own. Our original band reunited that summer to do a gig for a class reunion. Although quite rusty, we had fun. We did a few more gigs and it was fun in a way it had never been in the past. In 2000, I bought a new American Deluxe Jazz bass and an SWR Workingmans 15, actually both gifts from Ginny. She was responsible for getting me back into gigging as she enjoyed it.

In 2005, our singer left his Strat with me while visiting California during the winter. I was doing some work on it. I began playing it and I was back into it. Just this week, I did some inventory research to really look at what has transpired. I was surprised at what I found as it was never a calculated adventure. Since 2006, I find myself with 42 guitars and I have traded or sold 32 during this time. I currently have 12 different brands. This could raise some eyebrows but it has been transparent in the way it has evolved. It has just happened. I am always looking for something interesting. I do not have unlimited funds so when some come in, some go out. Last year I had 14 in and about the same amount go out. There were some I picked up early on because the price was right. Some of those were easy to trade when I found the "right one". Nine of my G&Ls, mostly Legacys, are gone for other G&Ls.

Sooner or later it becomes more difficult. I have a selection that I really like and have a bond with every one of them. I now am not willing to part with any of them, in other words, I no longer have any trading material. Ginny has heard it all so what do I tell her now? We appreciate these things for their art value as they have sheer beauty in just looking at them, especially the woods on some of the G&Ls. Picking one and playing it every morning is another bonus. I made a mistake and referred to them on another forum as an investment and had some investment dude climb all over me about guitars being a poor investment. He was probably right and I had used a bad choice of words. In my opinion, guitars are a solid asset if purchased correctly but what this guy didn't understand was the emotional value we get from guitars. I love working on them, playing them and especially looking at them. This isn't GAS. Its love, and like love, it just happens. :luv:

So it is confession time and let us know your thoughts about all this, and if you can share a story about you guitars and how you got there, lets hear it.

Okay, one more Ole.

To those in North Dakota , Minnesota , and for that matter the rest of the country, including Canada and Down Under, I must report the sad news that Ole was shot. He was up by the Canadian border on his 4-wheeler cutting some trees when some rangers looking for terrorists spotted him.
According to the news reports, the rangers shouted to him over a loudspeaker, "Who are you and what are you doing?"
Ole shouted back, "OLE..... BIN LOGGIN'!"

Our wall has changed considerably in the last year so here is the latest version. Thanks for having me this week and I am looking forward to next week with Robbie! I will check in on Sunday. :greet: -- Darwin

Re: LR- Finally Friday 09/21/12

Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:39 am

Darwin,

That is a fine , fine collection of guitars. I like the fact that it just evolved like that. Your passion for the instrument is appreciated. My guitar stable is somewhat smaller. Gas is a funny thing. Its dictated by cash on hand , but also by the mood of the momment. All plans can be dashed by the mood. I'm rambling. I have 3 electrics, 2 acoustics and 2 bass guitars. The S-500 will stay, my SC-2 is the go to and I could never sell my AJ. The others will be moved on eventually. I am on the look out for a G&L bass and some sort of bass amp and I wouldn't mind a Leo era SC-2. Thats the way the wind is blowing now.

What does G&L do for me? Great workmanship ( craftsmanship ! ) There isn't anything specific, to me its the overall effect, which is saying something because I always thought I would buy Les Pauls when I had the means.

Lunch will be something on the golf course ( tee off is in two hours... )

Have a great weekend everyone.

Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:12 am

Impressive.

What I look for in my next guitar? Stainless steel frets, ebony (not going back to rosewood) and neck width.
I need a bass guitar, but have no idea what to get. Maybe next year.

Thanks for the LRs.

Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:25 am

Hi Darwin

Fantastic week, have been too busy to contribute, but I have been reading. Your pics are amazing. I find it fascinating which ones you keep and which ones you trade.

For me, I started out wanting one good guitar, versatile, that could do it all. That (after a couple of disasters) lead me to my blues boy. I really like it and my love affair with it has been up and down but right now its my favourite.

Then I decided that I wanted one of each style, so that I could get all the tonal qualities which lead me to my legacy and my asat special. The special keeps growing on me more and more. I now want an SC-2.

Once I had those, I had to try an LP style so I got the Heritage 150 which I love. Great guitar. I had the duesenberg which was cool and great but decided I wanted more of a 335 style guitar and just put the money down on a Heritage 535, from 2004. I pick it up in a couple of weeks. Duese is sold.

Then, I'm done.......................................................................................wait, I'm looking for that elusive acoustic as well.

Alf

Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:49 am

Hi, Darwin,

My acquisitions have been somewhat similar to your story.

I played guitar in high school and college and was lucky to find a 1967 Martin D-18 in 1973 for $250.
I still have it and I can't let it go.
I also had a knockoff P bass and a Guild banjo. That was it until 2005.

I joined a blues/rock trio, but played drums.
My interest was piqued by my band mates gear, and so...

I bought a Fender American Deluxe Strat, and said to myself "good, I'm done".
Well, 25 more guitars and basses, I think that I'm mostly done. For now.

I bought a G&L Bluesboy on the advice of our bassist, who collects nothing but Custom Shop guitars and basses.
I bought the Bluesboy through Buffalo Brothers and loved it. Then I had terrible GAS.
I then bought more G&Ls, (classic S, L2000 spalted bass, S500,1996 Legacy)
3 Rickenbackers (360' 620, and4003)
a Hertiage H140,
Gibson Blueshawk,
2 Hagstrom IIIs,
Peavey bass,
Hofner Beatles Bass,
Music master bass,
And on and on. :shocked028:

I was always intrigued by a type of sound that I didn't have, which is why I'm all over the place with my purchases.
I've bought all of these used on ebay or through a local online dealer. I'll never buy new again.
I've now slowed way down, though.
After all of this, I'm back playing with an acoustic group again, and am using a Carvin AC40 with a Sansamp. Go figure.

one other thing. I recently bought a few of these to hang my guitars. http://diamondlifegear.com/guitar_hanger_mx.html
Since guitars are artwork, they need to displayed!

Great week, Darwin!
Kate

Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:40 pm

Nice collection Darwin.
I thinned my herd in the mid nineties when I became a single parent and money was needed more than guitars. My timing was terrible because it was the next year or so when Ebay launched and I saw all of the guitars I sold had doubled or tripled in value because of the more open market. I was fortunate enough not to have sold my G&L's though, mainly because the Gibson, Fender, Gretsch and Music Man were easier to sell. There were still a lot of people who had never heard of G&L back then.
Good job this week,
Fred

Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:02 pm

Darin, that is a very nice collection that you have. I currently have 10 guitars, in my collection:

Acoustics are a vintage Gibson LG-1, Taylor GC-8, and a Martin 00-18

Electrics are: Gretsch Power Jet, Grosh Retro Classic, Grosh Retro NOS, Thorn S/C, PRS Jazz Archtop, G&L Legacy (mahogany), and one of George Fullerton's Leo Fender signature ASAT Classic.

Here is a picture of some of my past G&L guitars and amps:

RickT

Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:30 pm

Hi Darwin,

Great LR's as usual, and still one of the most amazing walls imaginable. I wish I had a wall big enough in our house to hang my collection. Which consist mostly of ASATs as you know:
ImageImage
ImageImage
And I'm six in for the 5th group of seven: Commemorative #29 with maple board, GbL LE #19, hog Bluesboy, 'Port & Chocolate' pine with roasted maple neck prototype, the Alnico prototype, and 'The Wrangler' (who is going to be 'rejuvenated'). I still need an S-3, Z-3, Will Ray, and Classic Custom to cover all models. And a Lacewood Commemorative would be absolutely unbelievable but I'm not counting on it. And then you have the Rustic models and now the Alnico's and .... Does it ever end?

And beyond that? More Leo-era non-ASAT G&L's to add to the SC-1, SC-2, and G-200? Who knows. As you notice, I'm a lost case.

Have a nice weekend everybody!

'Hi, my name is Jos and I'm a G.A.S. addict'

Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:46 pm

Hey Darwin. Fantastic week! I read every day but due to a very hectic time at home, have not had much of an opportunity to respond.

I do want to say first off that you have an amazing collection and some great taste. There is also a fantastic woman behind you who has not only tolerated but has abetted you in your acquisitions. You are a lucky man indeed.

I continue to fine-tune my own collection, with the understanding that I need to sell something to cover whatever it is I have coming in.
Hence, to pay for "Yellow Fever," I'm obligated to dispatch another love - my '93 Hamer P-90 Special. And on it goes. I'm mostly a T-style guy these days, and thought my SC-3 was sufficient to assuage my occasional S-Style needs. Not so, as it turns out, so I brought a great Legacy back into the stable. Again, on it goes....

My other thought for the week is your daughter really needs to wear shoes on stage or she may get the shock of her life. Seriously. I've heard some bad barefoot stage stories, so keep your lovely girl shod. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it! - ed

Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:14 pm

I have GAS worse than most. but not as Darwin or Jos!

The current stable is 23 guitars and basses in playing condition, and three more that are projects. I've loved guitars since my early teens (I'm 47 now), but seemed always to be in a financial situation that allowed one bargain guitar every ten years or so. I had to take a lot of time off from playing through my twenties and early thirties due to military service, work and school, but got back into playing in my mid-30s.

My first G&L was a first-style SB-1, which I purchased around 1999. I was playing a lot at that point, and back pain was making it hard to handle my old Fender Jazz. With a bonus from work, I went to a local store up in Maine in search of a used Steinberger. They didn't have one, but the SB-1 played wonderfully and was lighter than any full-size bass I had ever held. I was also intrigued by the positive comments I had heard about G&Ls.

In 2010 I was about to move into an apartment 500 miles from my family during a job change, and decided that a decent guitar would help keep me sane until the family were able to join me in the new location. I bought a brand new Godin archtop, but it seemed to have rattles and buzzes that I couldn't pin down. It went back to Elderly, and that same weekend I stumbled across a '98 ASAT Classic in a shop here in Maryland. It was love at first sight, and I figured that I had found the guitar of my dreams and would be GAS-free for life. Right...

About a month later the same shop had an '86 Superhawk that hung on the wall for several weeks before I broke down and bought it. I think I bought that one more out of boredom than anything else, but in an alternate tuning it was wonderful for the drone/ambient kind of stuff I often like to play. At that point I figured I might as well get a Strat-type to round things out, and found my '82 S-500 at a Guitar Center not too far away. That was when the Leo-era GAS really kicked in.

I figured that I was set for life with my old Fender Jazz and the SB-1, but then I got into a playing situation as a bassist last winter doing roots/rockabilly/early country. I intended to use my upright for this, but our practice space has too low of a ceiling. I realized from discussion on the Forum that my SB-1 is very possibly the prototype, and decided I should have a different "everyday" bass. I found a project L-1000 on eBay, and that opened the door to bass GAS. I've managed to stumble into some extremely reasonable deals on several holy grail or rarebird basses, but every one of them ends up being too special to be the "beater".

In terms of strategy, I really don't have one. Almost all of my G&Ls were great deals on interesting guitars or basses, which I couldn't expect to find again if I passed them up. I do have a short list of instruments I will buy without hesitation if the price is reasonable and I have the funds on hand: G-200, Broadcaster, El Toro bass, first-style SC-3, ASAT III or ASAT Junior. I usually also have a couple of G&L instruments in mind that I will seriously consider if they pop up in front of me. Right now that's a Climax/ASAT/L-1500 bass with either nice figure in the body and/or neck or a favorite finish (the goal with this is to have an attractive bass with a 1.5" nut), or anything fretless that looks and feels good. For non-G&Ls, my long-term wish list includes a fretless Warwick bass and the right Gresch guitar.

It's been a great week of Lunch Reports, Darwin!

Ken

Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:37 pm

HEy Darwin,
Have had the flu all week so been down for the count so to speak. Checked in earlier and saw the pic of your daughter barefoot on stage.... wonder if your wife being a reflexologist has anything to do with that?

Cool topic - I've owned heaps of guitars over the past 20 + years from buying, playing, fixing up & selling... probably around 300 guitars - elec and acoustic. Only 1 was bought brand new and that was my first strat back in the early 80's. I dig vintage guitars and older things in general as they were made to last... particularly Leo's. I've only owned a half dozen vintage Fenders but I have to say I prefer Leo-era G&L's over the ones I've had plus ALL the others.... 70's/80's Japanese copies, Original Dean electrics, 70's/80's Gibsons, Ibanez, Boogie Bodies/Warmouth, Peavey... the list goes on... including Leo's Music Man guitars and BBE owned G&L's.
Anyway, my all time favourite would have to be the ASAT. I've owned 10 since '99 and to me they're the one electric that can do it all.
I'm eternally grateful for Mr. Hyatt's ingenious idea...

I don't have a plan of sorts... most of what I buy is what shows up and what I can afford at the time. I currently own 4 Leo-era G&L's and wouldn't mind one more but as much as I love them, I find having more than 4 or 5 electrics excessive. i don't dig humbuckers so perhaps that makes things easier.

One of the topics I was going to bring up a few weeks back in my LR's you just mentioned - Collecting guitars as an investment... everyone's entitled to their opinions, but I think the guy who jumped your case is way off. Granted, I guess it depends on what kind of guitars... brand new ones? Probably not the best choice but older vintage models I think are one of the best... not all that long ago - vintage guitars were the 3rd top collectors item - coins and stamps being the first 2. Things may have changed since esp given the slump in the economy but prices overall don't exactly seem to be plummeting.... esp Leo-era G&L's - they at last seem to be FINALLY increasing in price.... look at the # on eBay that exceed $1K now. Those out there that have a bedroom full may have the last laugh...
Cheers,
KF

Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:08 pm

I love that room Darwin, its such a good looking collection and having them all hanging around the living room makes it interactive too. Very cool!

When it comes to guitar and guitar related purchases I'm a planner, however those plans may go out of the window when something comes up cheap :D I recently decided a that if I'm going to keep buying guitars and form a collection of sorts, then those guitars might as well be from the G&L Custom Creations Department. One every couple of years should be fine.

Thanks for a great week of LRs!

Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:14 am

I've played in bands continuaosly since my teens and have for the most part considered guitars as tools of trade. Instruments have to the best of my recollection always been purchased on the basis of an identified need as the band has changed styles and playlists. As a gigging musician, I've been fortunate that playing hAs paid for pretty much all of my gear ... and its also been tax deductable :-). As a result, I generally haven't had to trade gear to get gear ... a great place to be.

Another great week Darwin.

cheers, Robbie

Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:28 pm

Thank all of your for you participation on the Friday LR. I am glad that so many of you shared your insights as to where you are now. I sure feel better to see others seeing this much as I do.

GLV, procurement is always dictated by cash on hand. I hope you that G&L bass, They are sweet!

Meowmix, nice Legacy in the Avatar. thanks for checking in.

Alf, keep it up, you have the right idea! Wish I had the Duesenburg.

Kate, your post is so interesting and I love the kitty in your Avatar. I think you have gone into this much as I have. It just happens and when you look back it is an adventure. Good luck with the acoustic group and great to see your posts.

Fred, unfortunately many have been faced with similar decisions due to circumstances at the time. You have some great knowledge and memories from you G&L days. I hope you keep sharing them with us.

RickT, you really have some fine instruments and great photos to go with them I have looked at some Grosh guitars and they are stunning. How the wood covered Boogie doing that you showed us some time back?

Jos,what canI say. You have one of the finest G&L collections on the planet and it keeps getting better. Great pictures and what a group of ASATS!

Ed, I know you are very busy with the young ones and your parents. When you become an empty nester you will have more flexibility. You have a lot of time to hone your sales pitch to your wife by then. Ginny is a great sidekick and I will tell Kari to at least stand on a rubber mat!

Ken, you and Jos may have GAS but for me it is just plain love! You have a great group of Leo era instruments and I suspect that more of them will find you. Thanks for sharing them with us.

KF, I agree that guitars can be a decent investment. Buying at the right price and the right ones helps. It is cool that you have been able to capitalize on the music adventure. Do you remember most of the guitars that you have owned? Kari runs 4 miles a day and is very fit but her feet sometimes get tired near the end of a gig. I will look over and the shoes are gone!

Jamie, keep those custom creations coming and just remember that it doesn't hurt to slip another one in now and them. The Prairie Oysters tune you have posted a couple of times is one of my faves. Don't be bashful about posting some more tunes.

Robbie, I am looking forward to your reports this week. I have adjusted gear at times for the band but it hasn't been my primary focus as I only gig for fun. I thought about deducting some things this year as we have done about 30 gigs. I will have to see what the accountant thinks.

Thanks everyone and I hope I didn't miss someone.-- Darwin