LR- Other G&L Day 09/20/12

Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:40 am

Thanks to those of you who posted yesterday. It looks like the low downers were laying low!
Lunch today is unknown at the moment. Being a creature of habit I could easily fall into my normal routine.

Today lets look at some other G&Ls as we covered the ASATS earlier in the week. Initially an S-Type guy and having several Legacys, I now only have a couple of Legacys left and here are my S-type grouped together. I forgot to include my S-500 in this group.

I really like the SC-2 and the F-100 Return. The CAR Legacy has a permanent home. The Blonde Legacy is the heaviest of my G&Ls. It has a beautiful Ash body but packs a lot of weight. If I had to give one up, this could well be it.

So today lets see you favorite S-Type G&Ls and also show your vintage G&Ls if you have some. I do not have any.

I showed some ASATS earlier in the week and here are my other ASATS.

Non G&L topic is other favorites that you play, non G&L and especially rarer, different guitars that we normally would not see.
I have a couple that come to mind for me. One is my Hamer Newport. I usually play on the sofa every morning unplugged and the Newport is one of my favorites unplugged. It has resonance and tone. It has Phat Cat pickups, a version of P90s.

Another favorite that I have gigged when doing lead work with Steve is my Parker Southern. It is a T Type and has a great neck and a Fishman Piezo. It weighs in at about 7 LBS and has a belly cut, making it very comfortable. It has a radical appearance that is either liked or hated. I have to say that it is one of the finer that I have owned and the playability is outstanding. I also like the stainless steel frets that are glued to the fingerboard and not set in, for a very smooth neck. I have never heard of any coming loose.It has SD pickups that I have been told were voiced for the SS frets.

Lets see you other favorites and be specific why they are favorites.

Last topic is guitar cases. The G&C guitar case for G&Ls that fits like a glove is as good as it gets. However, I would like to keep my G&L cases looking new. A couple of weeks ago I ordered a Wolfpak Polyfoam Bass Case form Musicians Friend for $67 plus free shipping with my discount. It was recommended by others on this forum. I love this case and it will keep my G&L cases from getting used looking. This past week, I ordered one more bass case for the Baritone that I am building and two electric guitar cases which are on back order until mid November. I will use these cases for gigging as they are light, offer great protection and have durable exteriors. I don't have to worry about my G&L cases getting damaged. Here are some pictures.

As you can see, the L-2500 fits very well in this case.

We have time for another Ole and Lena today.

Ole was arrested one night while walking bare naked down the streets of the little town of Elbow Lake, Minnesota .
The policeman, who was good friend of Ole's, said, "Ole...What in the world are you doing? Where are your clothes? You're naked."
"Yah, I know," said Ole. "You see, I vas over to dat 'playboy' Sven's for his birthday party. Dere vas about 28 of us. Der vas boys and girls."
"Is that right?", his policeman friend asked.
"Yah, Yah, anyvay, dat Sven, he says, 'Everybody get into the bedroom!' So vee all go into the bedroom....den he yells, 'Everybody git naked!' "Vel, vee all got undressed. Den he yells, Everybody go to town!' "
"Oh, my!", exclaimed the policeman.
"Yah, Yah. I guess I'm the first one here".

See you tomorrow for Finally Friday.-- Darwin

Re: LR- Other G&L Day 09/20/12

Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:30 pm

Hey Darwin,

Great stuff this week, i wish i had more time to jump in. I had a quick cancellation - If I'm not teaching i might as well be talking about guitars!

You know by now that my sc-2 is at the top of my list, but i really am loving the semi hollow comanche. I think the next few gigs will be on it.

As a quick side question - I am getting close to completing my music/teaching room and will hang some of the G&L's on the wall.... What is the spacing that you used between hangers? I would like to have them nice and tight like you do.

Have a good one (and cold one - or two :D ) Just send me the measurements first :happy0007:

Scott

Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:40 pm

Sorry I haven't been able to chime-in for the first few days. Great guitars, as usual. I really dig that Parker. Unfortunately, for lefties, it's slim pickins... Although, my PM20 is very well made. I recently had a full set-up done and the luthier dove into the electronics to see how cheap it was. He couldn't believe how good it was. First, all Grover hardware (I replaced the tuners w/ locking rotomatics) and top quality from them. The wiring, switches, pots, etc. are all high quality. The frets are stainless, board is Gaboon ebony, and the pickups are nice( 8+Ohms total for neck, 15+Ohms total for bridge ). Dual coil tapping, 10-13 conical radius, and under 7 pounds. After speaking with the Parker repair shop, they stated that these guitars were spec'ed out high to be competitive. Then of course, discontinued... Here's mine:

Ole & Lena/Sven & Ole - very Scandinavian...

Cheers,

Will

Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:36 pm

You have a gorgeous collection there Darwin! Imagine what it would be if you weren't primarily a bass player!!! :)

Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:41 pm

willross wrote:Sorry I haven't been able to chime-in for the first few days. Great guitars, as usual. I really dig that Parker. Unfortunately, for lefties, it's slim pickins... Although, my PM20 is very well made. I recently had a full set-up done and the luthier dove into the electronics to see how cheap it was. He couldn't believe how good it was. First, all Grover hardware (I replaced the tuners w/ locking rotomatics) and top quality from them. The wiring, switches, pots, etc. are all high quality. The frets are stainless, board is Gaboon ebony, and the pickups are nice( 8+Ohms total for neck, 15+Ohms total for bridge ). Dual coil tapping, 10-13 conical radius, and under 7 pounds. After speaking with the Parker repair shop, they stated that these guitars were spec'ed out high to be competitive. Then of course, discontinued... Here's mine:

Ole & Lena/Sven & Ole - very Scandinavian...

Cheers,

Will

Sure... Now I have to look around for a (used) "lefty" PM20! Actually, I was thinking about buying one on eBay a while back but never pulled the trigger. But, if you like it - I have to have one!! 8-)

Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:55 pm

I remember when the Parker Fly first came out very well. I'd just started playing guitar and my dad, who also plays, took me to this shop near his old workplace that had one. We went there a few times and always picked the Parker up for a bit of a play around. I remember it feeling really, really nice and at the time I loved the way it looked. Thne Dave Navarro started appearing in this ad from when rock stars NEVER wore shirts (you can find anything on the internet in less than a minute - amazing!!!)

Such a cool picture. I love Navarros playing with Janes Addiction and on the Red Hot Chili Peppers album he payed on. He totally transformed their sound and made what IMO is their best album 8-) . Anyway, I'm surprised at how good the '50s telecaster colour scheme looks on the radical shape of the Parker!

Rare guitars: I have a Jerry Jones Danelectro style guitar that I'll be hanging on to. Nothing particularly special about it, but it has that characteristic Dano sound and is much, much better made than any of the reissues. I've only ever used it once at a gig - it doesn't do dirty sounds well at all, and its clean sound, while being fun, doesn't transfer well to a lot of out material. Still, it's worth having around for something that isn't a G&L!

Keep those Ole and Lena jokes coming :lol:

Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:17 pm

Gitman writes:
You know by now that my sc-2 is at the top of my list, but i really am loving the semi hollow comanche.

They are always great go to's. I pm'ed you on the measurements. A cold one seems in order!

Will says:
Sorry I haven't been able to chime-in for the first few days. Great guitars, as usual. I really dig that Parker. Unfortunately, for lefties, it's slim pickins... Although, my PM20 is very well made. I recently had a full set-up done and the luthier dove into the electronics to see how cheap it was. He couldn't believe how good it was. First, all Grover hardware (I replaced the tuners w/ locking rotomatics) and top quality from them. The wiring, switches, pots, etc. are all high quality. The frets are stainless, board is Gaboon ebony, and the pickups are nice( 8+Ohms total for neck, 15+Ohms total for bridge ). Dual coil tapping, 10-13 conical radius, and under 7 pounds. After speaking with the Parker repair shop, they stated that these guitars were spec'ed out high to be competitive. Then of course, discontinued...

Will, Parkers are outstanding and exceptional buys for the money when used. Sounds like the Asian models are likewise.
Yes, Ole /Sven /Lena are quite Scandahoovian but so are a lot of Minnesotans.

Lefty, if I were a geetar player I would probably stock up on basses!

Jamie writes:
Rare guitars: I have a Jerry Jones Danelectro style guitar that I'll be hanging on to. Nothing particularly special about it, but it has that characteristic Dano sound and is much, much better made than any of the reissues. I've only ever used it once at a gig - it doesn't do dirty sounds well at all, and its clean sound, while being fun, doesn't transfer well to a lot of out material. Still, it's worth having around for something that isn't a G&L!

Jamie that is a cool guitar and uses the lipsticks like Danelecto. Nice pic. Yes the Parker does look nice in Butterscotch Blonde! Parkers are intriguing, either you love them or hate 'em

Thank guys. -- Darwin

Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:56 pm

darwinohm wrote:It looks like the low downers were laying low!

Yesterday work wore me out. By the time I got home, all I could do was put the kids to bed and then fall asleep myself. Tonight's not much better!

darwinohm wrote:So today lets see you favorite S-Type G&Ls and also show your vintage G&Ls if you have some. I do not have any.

I've just started getting the hang of taking semi-decent photos in the past couple of months. Here's an older one with a group shop to vintage G&Ls:

Front row, L-R: Pre-production '80 'hog/maple L-1000, '81 'hog/maple L-2000 Series E, '82 ash/ebony L-1000 rescue bass, first-style SB-1 in sanding sealer (possibly the prototype), '84 maple/RW Interceptor Bass.

Back row, L-R: '80 ash/ebony F-100 Series II, '82 SC-1, '82 SC-2, probably '82 'hog/maple S-500, '83 maple/ebony Nighthawk, approx. '85 Skyhawk.

The S-500 and Skyhawk played so well from the day I bought them that I still haven't taken the necks off to check dates. The S-500 is almost certainly an '82 based on features, and the Skyhawk's decal and features make it an '85 or '86.

Here's a shot of the '86 Superhawk, which somehow missed the group photo:

darwinohm wrote:A couple of weeks ago I ordered a Wolfpak Polyfoam Bass Case form Musicians Friend for $67 plus free shipping with my discount.

I need to try these. My guitars are mostly in non-original cases, but a lot of the basses still have their originals. The latches start wearing out after thirty years, so a few of the basses need something more secure.

Ken

Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:31 pm

KenC,
That looks like a fun photo day,
I've yet to really try for a good group shot of my G&L's.

Have you found a control plate for your '82 rescue bass ? ( I think I have one not
being used )

I'll try to play catch-up on the LR's a bit Darwin...it's good to have you driving this week.

Elwood

Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:52 pm

Thanks for the offer Elwood! I do have the control plate, but I haven't put it back on after extracting the pickup from being wedged in the body. The previous owner/spray painter reattached the control plate with screws that were about two sizes to big, so I will need to drill out the holes and plug them with dowels first.

Out of curiosity, what's the finish on your spare plate? This bass was from January '82 (per the neck date), so it ended up with the mismatched smooth black bridge and chrome control plate. I might be interested in switching to a smooth black control plate if you have one.

Ken

Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:02 am

Ken, you are a G&L museum, what a line up! Guys like you and Elwood keep it going. The early S-500 sure looks wide next to the SC-2. Thanks for taking the time to post the beautiful pics.-- Darwin

Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:45 pm

Hi Darwin, I'm late to the party again courtesy of a crazy week at work. It's always an education and a treat for the eyes going through your LR's.

Strat shape G&L's: I'm a strat guy at heart who went on a T-style bender a few years ago thanks to some G&L ASAT's. But I'm firmly back in strat land again these days. I only have 2 S-style G&L's. These guitars are chalk and cheese. The '95 S-500 is like a presidential limousine - heavy, dependable and built to take direct hits from field artillery. The '05 Legacy is like a convertible sports car - light, raw, fast and a barrel of fun. It's hard to see in the photo, but the body shape has changed significantly over the years. The S-500 is beautifully rounded with smooth curves everywhere (which I prefer), while the Legacy is thicker front to back with straighter edges.

Rare/Unusual Guitars: I have only one that vaguely qualifies - a Cole Clark Offender from the prototype run (number 54). The later production models are better guitars overall IMO, but they have a butt-ugly violin style headstock after Fender threatened legal action over the original headstock design and name (Of-Fender).

Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:40 am

Thanks for checking in Philby. Great looking S-types and I agree an the S-500 shape. Mine is as yous although not too heavy. That Cole Clark is one of the most beautiful guitars I have ever seen. It is simply stunning. The wood grain is so interesting. Thanks for checking in Philby, you always have some nice ones to share! -- Darwin