LR for Wednesday; Sep 12, 2012

Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Well, 9/11 is behind us for another year. Apparently, many would like to move on with less said each year; while others would like it to become a national day of mourning. If those were the only 2 choices, I think I'd lean more to the second. I just turned 70 & it is the most horrible day I've ever lived. I'd been in different floors in the WTC & spent quite a bit of time in that part of NYC. I feel the loss & it's hard to visit there now.

Two of my favorite characters who ever hung out on this site were The Cajun Boy & Griff. Both seemed to have photography as a serious hobby, almost on a par with guitars. One thing they both did well was photograph their G&Ls in natural settings. The results were usually brilliant. Something about mixing the wood & steel of a guitar into Nature was real art. I got lots of ideas from them, as well as some coaching. They contaminated my thinking so much that I never think of taking a photo of my guitar inside my house.

Here are a few that I've taken that I'm kinda proud of. Please add some of your own "Guitar In Nature" shots.

My refinished Strat style SC-3

My Spalted Maple Legacy

My Signature Skyhawk

My '82 S-500

Jay

Re: LR for Wednesday; Sep 12, 2012

Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:09 pm

Some exquisite shots Jay. Just reminds me once more I should move away from the rather sterile 'for insurance' shots I make of my instruments. ;)

- Jos

Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:02 am

G'day Jay,
Beautiful shots and guitars of course
Cheers for showing us
Anthony

Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:12 am

Woah ... a post from Jay ... great pics of G&Ls in the wild ... mentions of CB ... and Griff ... Fred talkng of Gabe D ... and Boogie Bill even mentioned Phil yesterday. I feel like i'm having flashbacks.

Good to see you and your collection again Jay. Whatever happened to GAS2 - I recall you were collecting material for it a while back. How are those Lucy Awards ... and what more can you tell us about that refinished SC3 HSS for award 23 - sounds intriguing - didn't look anything like this one did it?
Image.

cheers, Robbie

Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:27 am

Jay, I have always admired some of the pictures that people on this forum have posted. I have not taken many outside photos and should as they are more interesting. The climate is not conducive for outside photos at least 7 months of the year. This year we have had extreme heat.

Gabe used to post frequently when I first joined this forum and his posts were always interesting. There are many others from the past that we do not hear from anymore. Times and things change but it is good to hear from you old timers.

Here are a couple of outside photos.
A Suhr

and the blondes, Legacy and a MK.

Darwin

Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:58 am

Aussie wrote: didn't look anything like this one did it?
Image.

cheers, Robbie

I know that one well...I'm still amazed we got it shipped WITH case to the other side
of the marble for a mere 38 USD :shocked028:
...gotta love those ol' little G&L SC cases.

Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:19 pm

Hi Jay, it's great to hear from you. I still feel GAS pangs when I see your refinished SC-2...

My photography skills are slowly evolving. We had a very hot and humid summer, so I only made one attempt at outdoor guitar photos:

I only managed to snap a couple of shots before I realized the bass was wet from condensation!

Ken

Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:19 pm

Jay - I'm drooling here. And it's not just because I'm wondering what the heck you had for lunch! ;+) - ed

Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:24 pm

Aussie wrote: Boogie Bill even mentioned Phil yesterday. Whatever happened to GAS2 - I recall you were collecting material for it a while back. How are those Lucy Awards ... and what more can you tell us about that refinished SC3 HSS for award 23 - sounds intriguing - didn't look anything like this one did it? cheers, Robbie

I just returned from visiting Boogie Phil near London. Great guy; super family. Great host, too. He's doing very well. He & I have twin Cp Thornton Legend Specials, which kept me sane playing his. And Boogie Bill is at the top of my list to meet someday.

I do have some material for a GAS2, but can't seem to write the first word. GAS1 sales have apparently about ended after selling over 3,000 copies, so I need to be thinking about it again. I've been writing my memoirs for my family. That has been fun. I was funding the Lucy Awards with book sales, so the fun of all that is missing.

The refinished SC came to me in a trade with someone on this forum. I traded a Tribute for it. It had been modded into a HSS & had a start toward a refin project. I let ole Woodfixer re-do the whole thing & it became a very nice guitar. Like the sharp one you posted, only it was a brown stain. Great tone, though.

Good hearing from ya.

Jay

Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:28 pm

darwinohm wrote:Image

Darwin

Hey, great shots. I agree, they're just more interesting in the wild.

Thx; good hearing from ya. Stay warm this winter.

j

Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:32 pm

Thanks for the replies & pics. Made my day.

Who's up next?

j