LR, Monday September 10, 2012

Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:58 pm

Hi gang,

Just happen to have a nice subject to throw in. But first ...

Lunch
Well, those familiar with me should know that it is 'Thai Monday'. Small bowl of Thom Ka Gai today. Very yummy.

Non-G&L related
We saw Mavis Staples and Bonnie Raitt with their respective bands at the Chateau Ste. Michelle winery yesterday evening. Mavis was outstanding! Bonnie and her band, and especially her longtime sideman George Marinelli on guitars, were in fine form until nature intervened. About an hour and a half into the set, just after starting 'Angel from Montgomery', there was a power outage. The outage was caused by a tree branch on the power lines somewhere in the neighborhood. At first, power was recovered after about a minute, but at about the same moment into the song after they started over again it happen for good this time. The stage people tried their utmost to find the blown fuses and fried amp tubes but there was no saving it anymore. After about half an hour Bonnie came out with a bullhorn to address the remaining crowd. I could only find a video on Facebook but this is the link:
https://www.facebook.com/video/video.ph ... 4880024374

Unfortunately, there are always the whiners that feel that they are entitled to some compensation (read full refund) because they have been irrevocably 'harmed'. IMO, the winery, nor Bonnie or the promotor owes me anything. It's an outdoor concert, so rain or shine is applicable anyway, and the winery has no control over a tree branch wrecking a powerline. Oh well, some people just need to complain.

Have you ever experienced a concert that was ended by an 'Act of God' or otherwise? Did you feel entitled to a refund?

G&L related
Ah ... Nothing this time ...

- Jos
Last edited by yowhatsshakin on Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: LR, Monday September 10, 2012

Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:54 pm

Jos, you go to some excellent concerts!

Some people are just born crap. If I were in charge I'd have given them a lemon to go suck, no refund! I was at a Dream Theater concert when one of the PA amplifiers blew up, probably after about 2 hours. We yelled for an acoustic set or a drum solo, but it didn't happen :)

Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:35 pm

Ahhh Mavis Staples.

After hearing about Levon Helms passed away here, I did some youtube searching. Lo and behold, my first experience with Mavis.
She is simply a 10 on the voice. :luv:

[youtube]sjCw3-YTffo[/youtube]

I haven't experienced a concert that went bust. But I can imagine the crowd getting routy.
Entitlement at work.

Was it Tommy from Motley Crew saying to his fans not to expect pictures to be taken with him? I can imagine that process, if left unchecked, would take hours of the day. Not going to happen. I think Tommy told his fans to stop complaining, they are not entitled to a photo shoot with him just because they bought his CDs.

It is impossible to please everyone. Aim to please 80%, the other 20% be prepared to drop them. They suck, wastes your time and money. Not worth it. If you ever ask successful business people, they will tell you they got rid of clients because they just weren't worth it. Actually, you send them to your competitors. :thumbup:

Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:07 pm

I've mentioned this one before, but my first real concert was an afternoon show by the Beach Boys at an amusement park in 1978. This was a time when they were best known for getting too drunk or too high to finish a performance, getting into fistfights onstage, etc.

A thunderstorm broke loose about halfway into the show, the band left the stage and most of the crowd ran away. There were a couple of dozen of us who stayed out in the rain. I was thirteen and didn't mind getting wet. Besides, as long as the girl standing next to me in a sopping wet t-shirt was staying I wasn't moving from the spot. After a couple of minutes the band came back out and said that if fans were willing to stand in the rain to hear them, they were willing to stand in the rain and play. The roadies rigged a tarp to keep their instruments as dry as possible, and they went on to play just about anything the crowd would want to hear. The first time I heard Good Vibrations was with Brian Wilson singing it about twenty feet away from me, and the girl in the wet t-shirt twisting away beside me. Somehow it never sounds quite that perfect on the radio...

Ken

Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:55 pm

Jos, I have never seen a concert that failed to end as planned. That had to be interesting and once it starts how could anyone expect a refund if it were not the fault of the band? I cannot answer the G&L content! :mrgreen: -- Darwin