Lunch Report Wednesday Sept 5- Whats Up?

Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:49 pm

It is mid afternoon and I have time after a lunch of Ginnys home made bean and ham soup. It was outstanding with some Pepsi.

G&L content- Strat Killer. That is what Steve calls this Legacy with the Roland synth. It will be featured at our Edge Center Show this weekend.

http://www.the-edge-center.org/performances/Pretenders.html

We are The Pretenders and Friends this weekend. Here is the Legacy

This will be the lead axe and he also uses a Tele. My PRS Johnny Hiland will be a backup. I just installed new strings and set it up this afternoon. So, the G&L question, what is you main gigging G&L? Lets see some pictures.

There is a lot of preparation for these shows. We get together on Saturday, set up the sound and run through the show. This one is special for me as it will be the first time that Kari has been with me on this show. Today I picked up a couple more monitors so there is more equipment to carry and my Town and Country is becoming fuller. On Saturday evening we will sit around, enjoy cold ones and talk smart. We do this gig once a year and it is a fun one for us. Do you have any special gigs that you do and what are they? Please include photos and elaborate a bit. This is open to anyone even if you get together as a group band and just have fun.

I have talked about our band, THE AGATES and we are all in the group this weekend with the addition of another person. Some of you have asked if I had a picture of THE AGATES. We recently had a photo shoot and here is a picture of the band.

They are L-R Terry-Drummer/Vocalist, Kelly-Lead Singer, Steve-Lead Guitarist, Kari, my daughter, guitarist/vocals, and myself, who is lucky to be with a group like this.

Lets see some good photos from you folks-- Darwin :happy0065:

Re: Lunch Report Wednesday Sept 5- Whats Up?

Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:24 pm

Hey Darwin. That lunch sounds tasty, there's nothing better than a home made soup with ham in it.

I've been GASing after a Legacy a lot recently, and thats a very nice looking example of one.

Since I got my Korina Jr it has become my main guitar for everything, though when noodling on the leather couch you need to be careful with the new jacks as they're prone to scratching them :x . That aside, I love it. My worries about guitars with tune-o-matic bridges - string breaks and tuning issues - have nearly been put to rest. I'm doing an experiment where I'm leaving the strings on until one of them breaks. It's been about 5 weeks since I got it, I've played 5 or so gigs with it and had at least that many rehearsals and I still haven't broken a string AND they're still the ones from the factory. I usually change strings after every 2 or 3 gigs. It's also holding tune!?!? I don't know what Gibson are doing wrong!

We had a special gig earlier in the year (story in THIS THREAD) which took a lot of preparation - we had 5 weeks to learn about 20 songs. We rehearsed twice a week each week leading up to the gig to make sure we were ready for it. Luckily the preparation paid off and it was an absolute blast. We are doing it all again in a months time, on two consecutive nights at the same venue.
[youtube]CG5nG2ykM5I[/youtube]
We do another special gig every year in a beautiful town called Jingellic. We play under a marquee on the night before an equestrian event. A lot of the town come down for the big party and its always fantastic fun. Thinking about it, most of the shows we do are fun, but some, like the one I have this weekend, are real downers. At least they make the good ones all the better :thumbup:

Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:39 pm

Hi Darwin, Thanks for picking up the slack today. Unfortunately I've been busy and missed some good reports the last few weeks. Very interesting Legacy. I haven't ever tried a synth, but I'm always interested in trying new things out.

Your band photo looks nice. I wish I had the time to play out with others. I miss the fun times I used to have getting together with others and playing. Enjoy your show! Wish I lived close enough to come out and see you guys play.

Even though I don't play out, here is my go to G&L. It's the one I recently got back. After twenty years, It plays just as good as I remember it!

Here's my newest pick up, It's the Epiphone Ace Frehley. Very sweet guitar. Beautiful sunburst, Dimarzio SD pickup in the bridge, and PAF's in the middle and neck position. It has a real maple top and upgraded hardware. Very good quality for an Epiphone. I didn't want to pay the $6k price for the Gibson, so I settled. And I'm glad I did.

Thanks,
Dave

Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:14 pm

I'm gig-less at the moment, but I have been practicing regularly with a guitarist with the goal of playing out within the next couple of months. I have no idea what my main G&L will be, but as we're doing roots music (rockabilly, rock-n-roll and early country) I will switch between my upright and an electric. I took the Lynx to practice for the first time tonight, and have a feeling that it might edge out the L1K and L2KE for this material. A lot of that will depend on which amp I use when we do play out.

I also play the upright bass in an ensemble at work. Our big gig for the last two years has been an evening concert at the World War II Memorial on the National Mall in DC. It's a sight-reading reading performance with a conductor, so it's about as far from a typical band situation as you can get. Unfortunately, both times I have missed the concert due to emergency travel for my day job. Maybe next year...

The best gigs I had back in Cincinnati were a tribal dance festival every summer in an old church auditorium (which was a lot of free improvisation with groups of percussionists), and playing the VIP room at the annual "Witches' Ball" (an adults-only costume party for charity) in Newport, Kentucky. I moved away just before our second Witches' Ball, but the one I played was a blast. The "VIP room" was an attic room in an old mansion that attendees could enter for an additional cover. Bands rotated through the main stage downstairs all night, but we shared the VIP room the whole time with another "band" that consisted of a medieval bagpiper and drummer. The bagpipes weren't wedding/funeral music; they were the kind of stuff Scottish Highlanders played while they slaughtered their enemies. They asked me to join in by playing long drones with my bow. We eventually hit some sort of mutant jazz-funk and the entire room broke out dancing, with the three of us in the middle of the floor and completely surrounded. We played long after the downstairs acts had gone home, until the organizers had to clear the place out. As for pictures, there better not be any! 8-)

I haven't tried a midi guitar synth yet, but I do like to experiment with Moogerfoogers and other analog pedals that are essentially synth modules. For the most part I sound terrible when I do this.

Ken

Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:51 pm

Jamie, great story and the video is awesome. I remembered viewing it sometime ago and I have to say the fellow that you were backing up sure has a fine voice. A great job on that song.

Your Korina Jr is spectacular, the wood grain and the rosewood neck compliment each other. This made me realize that I only have one Hamer with p90's. I have another with a version of 90s (Phat Cats) from Hamer. Boy is that Kornia a looker. How do you like the new output jack?

Dave, thanks for your pictures, the SC-1 is a treat to look at. The Frehley is cool and I have never seen an Ibanez like that. It sure has a retro look. Thanks for sharing. I hope at some point in time that you have time to gig. It is fun!
Edit: Dave, I was just on the Minneapolis CL and look whats on there.http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/msg/3254637014.html

Ken, you are playing my kind of music. I hope you have something going in a few months. I have always wanted an upright bass but don't know where I would keep it. It would also be a learning experience for me as I am a converted guitar picker and we do it like picking a regular guitar, thumb, index, and middle finger.
Sounds like you have had some fun in the Cinci scene in the past. I bet you would find the synth interesting. Steve, our lead player loves it had has become quite proficient. It sure adds another element to a wire band. -- Darwin