Monday Sept. 3rd Lunch Report

Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:11 am

Lunch: Today's lunch will be hamburgers cooked on the grill.

Today is Labor Day in the USA. What are you doing for Labor Day?

I plan to rest most of the day. It was a long night. We went racing last night and I got home at 3:15am. I'm tired today.

We finished 3rd last night at the Northwest Missouri State Fair in Bethany, Missouri.

G&L & Amps:

What amp sounds the best with your G&L?

For me, the best amp paired with a G&L is a Fender, Princeton Reverb.

Sprinter 92

Re: Monday Sept. 3rd Lunch Report

Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:48 am

Happy Labo(u)r Day ;)
not a holiday over here....
best amp that I've played thro with my G&L is a Vox AC15. Quite liked the Fender Hotrod Deluxe as well but I'm growing into the Vox tone. Tried a few Marshalls at the studio but they dont do it for me.
http://www.oneeyedog.co.uk

john

Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:50 am

Hi Sprinter,

What am I doing today? For one reading your LR ;)

Otherwise, like you I'm resting up. We went to DMB at The Gorge the day before yesterday, got home at about 2:30am and had a full schedule yesterday. So not much sleep. And I'm just getting a tad too old for this <you know what>. Or maybe it is the lack of sleep combined with booze :think:

I will enjoy my garden because it is excellent weather here in the Pacific Northwest, as it has ben for quite a while now. Perfect temperatures and humidity.

I haven't played my G&L through many different amps, but I like the sound I get with my Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25 on the 5W setting. Delectable indeed :happy0065:

- Jos

Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:08 pm

Hi Sprinter, I am just back home. Lunch today was on the road at a McDonalds drive through.

Glad you did well at the State Fair. Great looking sprint car!

I am also tired, still have not recovered from gigging. I am probably too old for this but cannot convince myself or admit it. It is too much fun and I couldn't do this while raising the family. Just getting ready for chicken on the grill tonight with a couple of cold ones to sweeten it up.

I have owned several amps and my 65 Twin Revererb Custom 15 is my favorite, a reissue of course. It is a great clean amp. We also run the G&L Legacy with the Roland synth through it. The Sax and strings patches are great through the 15. I would still like to try a Vox AC 15. Looking forward to the rest of the week.-- Darwin

Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:50 pm

g'day Sprinter
I play mine through a 1962 /63 Vox AC 30. It sounds so good I haven't even played mine through my Blonde 1963 Fender Bassman.
Cheers,
Anthony

Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:13 pm

Hi Sprinter, hope you're all rested up by now.

Lunch today is a sandwich using leftover burger, char grilled peppers and caramelised onions from a weekend BBQ. Should be delicious.

I play my G&L's through a tweed Fender Blues Jnr and a Vox AC15C1. The normal channel on the Vox is a thing of great beauty for single coil guitars.

Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:24 pm

+1 Princeton Reverb - my amp of choice for many years...

Cheers,
KF

Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:28 pm

After a fairly long Mesa/Boogie stint, I've recently gotten back into gigging with my '94 Rivera R55. Great amp!

Sláinte!

--GDub

Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:58 pm

Today was an end-of-summer dinner with friends. We had rain off and on, so we ended up cooking inside instead of on the grill.

The only mismatch I've found between a G&L and an amp was pairing an ASAT's large MFDs with a Roland JC-120 Jazz Chorus. It was just too shrill. The JC-120 actually took a number of other G&Ls very nicely, with nothing more than a good compressor in between. My ASAT Classic, Skyhawk, S-500, Superhawk and F-100 all paired well with it. All of my G&Ls sound good through my Blues Junior, although single coils get a clearer tone than humbuckers.

As my playing has shifted more toward the electric bass, I've just retubed and recapped my old Fender Bassman Ten. Everything sounds good through that amp, including all of my guitars. I do notice that it doesn't have the headroom with G&L basses that it does with my old Fender Jazz. I guess that makes sense in light of the hotter MFD pickups. I was playing the L2K through it earlier tonight, and that was the first time in thirty years that I've wondered if the amp's four ten-inch speakers were enough.

Ken

Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:35 pm

my favorites are my ceriatone ots, my ampeg reverberocket and the heritage kenny burrell signature for my asat.

Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:49 pm

This still does the trick for me:

Cheers,

Will

Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:45 am

Sprinter 92 wrote:Lunch: Today's lunch will be hamburgers cooked on the grill.

Today is Labor Day in the USA. What are you doing for Labor Day?

I worked! On Labor Day Eve I went on a pedicab ride with my kids. Over 20 miles round trip. Fun, fun, fun.

Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:27 pm

GDub wrote:After a fairly long Mesa/Boogie stint, I've recently gotten back into gigging with my '94 Rivera R55. Great amp!

Sláinte!

--GDub

hey GDub, I hope you dont mind but I 'd like to ask the relevance of your kilt... you from Scotland/Ireland or just like the kilt?
john

Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:18 pm

oneeyedog wrote:
GDub wrote:After a fairly long Mesa/Boogie stint, I've recently gotten back into gigging with my '94 Rivera R55. Great amp!

Sláinte!

--GDub

hey GDub, I hope you dont mind but I 'd like to ask the relevance of your kilt... you from Scotland/Ireland or just like the kilt?
john

i would think the same reason Scotsmen wear skirts. the women wear the pants :mrgreen:

Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:44 pm

For amps, it is my Mesas. I may have sold another one the other day, LOL; I was at a music store trying out a guitar through a used Mark IV (I already have a Mark IV). This guy was complaining about the Duncan Designed pickups in his guitar, and I said, "Hey, lets try it in the Mesa." Took just a small tweak, and I think it really opened his eyes and blew his mind. I didn't hear much after that about pickup swapping, but he started talking about getting a new amp.

I think every guitar I have plugged into my Mesa amps has always sounded good. The preamps seems to react very well with various pickups.

The MFD pickups really demand that you have a top quality preamp tube in the V1 socket--one that can handle the high output and the wide-range of frequencies. I really love the juicy, fat tones from all of my Mesas, whether its the Mark III, the Mark IV, the DC-3 or the Maverick.

Bill

Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:39 am

Boogie Bill wrote:For amps, it is my Mesas. I may have sold another one the other day, LOL; I was at a music store trying out a guitar through a used Mark IV (I already have a Mark IV). This guy was complaining about the Duncan Designed pickups in his guitar, and I said, "Hey, lets try it in the Mesa." Took just a small tweak, and I think it really opened his eyes and blew his mind. I didn't hear much after that about pickup swapping, but he started talking about getting a new amp.

I think every guitar I have plugged into my Mesa amps has always sounded good. The preamps seems to react very well with various pickups.

The MFD pickups really demand that you have a top quality preamp tube in the V1 socket--one that can handle the high output and the wide-range of frequencies. I really love the juicy, fat tones from all of my Mesas, whether its the Mark III, the Mark IV, the DC-3 or the Maverick.

Bill

i could never get happy with mesas. i owned 5 or so, played them for quite a while, and while they did everything well, nothing great. i was either disappointed with the cleans, or with the slightly broken sounds. high gain was never an issue, for metal they worked fine. i also realized that most of the people playing mesas, i was never crazy about their tone, other than andy timmons.

Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:13 am

louis cyfer wrote:
oneeyedog wrote:

Sláinte!

--GDub

john

i would think the same reason Scotsmen wear skirts. the women wear the pants :mrgreen:

hahahaha.. real scotsmen don't wear any :shocked003:
john