****** Friday Lunch Report ******

Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:58 am

Happy Friday Everyone - Congrats on making it through another week!!

As usual, Thanks to all who participated and chimed in yesterday - I enjoyed your posts.

No one took a stab at the Trivia Question but there was a lot in yesterday's report - so much so that i forgot to mention what lunch - Ham & Cheese Sandwich along w/ some Watties Baked Beans and accompanied by a few splashes of Charlies Limeade.

Lunch today was a Mince & Potato Pie & a flat white coffee w/ soy milk.

Jackie & I are certified reflexologists and we co-teach reflexology at a local holistic college a few times a year as a part of their massage programme. Today was spent all day in the classroom but ate lunch outside as the weather warm, bright & sunny.
Spring is on its way and will be a welcomed change...

The answer to yesterday's question was C - Steve Hunter and Dick Wagner
They were ace session guitarists in the 70's and played on several artist's albums and were a part of Alice Cooper's touring band as well.
if you haven't heard of them, check them out on youtube.

Kudos to Robbie for lending a helping hand - Thanks to him today's LR will go ahead as planned... the main topic today - Bands & creating and/or performing music in a live situation.

As many of you know its a bit of a tradition here on Fridays to ask - who's gigging? So i will do just that. It's Friday - who's gigging?
I'm aware that not everyone here plays out or is in a band but if you do or plan to let us know about it.

I'm currently not in a band but have been in some over years in various incarnations... most of them were short-lived for a number of reasons. Since moving here, I've gotten out and had a few jams and even had a go with forming a covers band late last year. It was fun for a bit but my passion for learning a bunch of cover tunes fizzled pretty quickly + there were some strong personality clashes which didn't help matters.
The last time I played out was a couple months back at a something called The Melt. Sort of an extended drum circle gathering but with all types of instruments and a strictly improv format. It wasn't for beginners meaning that a certain amount of proficiency on your instrument was required. That was to ensure it remained fairly musical and not become a crazy cacophony of sorts... that was the only restriction, the format was purely free-form.

It was a lot fun and a bit scary as I hadn't done anything like it before. i found it to be a really good exercise is listening and thinking before playing something... however after awhile that naturally led itself to more spontaneous choices which seems a bit pardoxical. It ended up being a very positive experience because everyone was respectful of each other and into creating for the whole - no one was trying to dominate and show off.
Also, the musicians were playing to create musical backdrop for the other folks present to dance to and express themselves through movement - again free-form. Yeah, I know it sounds a bit hippy trippy but I really dug it and I plan to do more.

So, has anyone been involved in anything similar or have you been in a band where the focus was/is strictly on creating in the moment?

I've seen an exercise in a book called 30 songs in 30 minutes where you get together with some friends and instruments, some kind of recording device,paper, pen and a watch & have at it - the aim is to work quicky and just write down whatever comes to mind then put it into song form - start with song titles first, then have each person grab an instrument and start playing off each other. The whole point is to have fun, not edit yourself and hopefully create something or some bits that can actually be developed further later into a proper song or songs.
Again, anyone done anything like this?

Moving on.... Here's a strange bit that I know some of you have seen before -

Who can tell me what it is and better yet - who has a G&L with one on it? Remember the rule, it only truly exists if there's pics posted!

Next up....

New Music -

I stumbled across this song yesterday on youtube while I was looking for the Medicine vid clip...
They're a English band called Tindersticks that formed in the 90's and who have recently reformed.
I dig the tune & vid - lots of cool gear...
[youtube]5v1eFVOj4is[/youtube]

Older Music -

I couldn't offer anything this week for the low-enders but I did find this early clip of the band Berlin that features a MM Stingray Bass -
[youtube]APPhaCUZj-0[/youtube]

They ended up being an endorser for G&L a few years later and some of their other vids feature Cavallers and Interceptors...

Old (Great) Music -
Had to throw some Beatles in - dig that fuzzy lead tone!
[youtube]KjqZ7bTzeGE[/youtube]

Next up - Today Hometown Heroes -

Jansen was/is a NZ company that made electric guitars and amplifiers based on Fender's designs. They started out in the early 60's and soon adopted similar cosmetics - the early ones were 'blackface' and as you can see this is their 'silverface' styiing.
They were very well made and are pretty sought after as they sound great. I picked this one really cheap as it has a bit of damage and a shorted output tube... I haven't fixed it yet tho b/c I can't suss how to take the thing apart - the ONE thing that differs from Fenders... no chrome strips w/ screws across the top...

So as stated earlier, Thanks to Robbie I was able to upload some audio files to a site called CloudShare - check it out if you haven't already - its pretty cool.
http://soundcloud.com/2headedgoat/creep
Creep is from the aforementioned short-live cover band from last year.
It was our first practise session together and we recorded it so as to hear how we sounded... this was the first time we played this song and we had a fair go - I had some issues with my ProCo Rat - the switch was acting up and wouldn't switch on consistently what you're hearing mainly is my BBE green screamer max'd out. I used Char with a SS Jansen combo and a Boss Chorus.
At the very end you can hear the Rat click on for a mmo - made for a funny ending :happy0065:

Mama Kin and Tush are from an initial practise session 15 years ago - we hadn't found a singer at that seemed to end that incarnation. I'm playing the main rhythm and lead on Mama Kin and rhythm only on Tush.... No G&L's present - using my '66 tele thru a Chandler Tube driver pedal into a silverface deluxe reverb. The other guitarist handles slide on Tush and was playing an early 90's Reissue SG through an alll valve Peavey Classic. Talk bout train wreck endings... that will serve as today's comedy clip....
http://soundcloud.com/2headedgoat/tush

So if you have any recorded band practises or perfomances you'd like to share - humorous or not - feel free to do so...

I'll leave it at that - I've had a lot of fun this week - hope ya'll did too!

Will catch up with responses this weekend -

Thanks & Goodnight !!

Cheers,
KF
Last edited by Katefan on Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Re: ****** Friday Lunch Report ******

Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:11 am

KF, thanks for the great week and photos of NZ.

I have not viewed the videos due to time. I can't identify the part in the picture and am very curious about it.

Yes, I am gigging a class reunion this weekend and have gigged just about every weekend this summer. We are a cover band and you are right about keeping a band together, it is difficult. We are lucky to be older dudes and ego's are way behind anyone. With the two younger gals in the band it has been great. We all get along! Pure luck I guess. I haven't been into new music a lot as I am trying to keep up with the learning curve on our cover tunes.

Have a great holiday weekend everyone!-- Darwin

Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:43 pm

Hey Darwin -
You're welcome - glad you enjoyed it.

Yeah, its not a very common part and as far as I know was only fitted on a small number of G&Ls.... I bet tho that someone on this forum has one.
As it is sort of the Trivia Question for Today's LR, I won't devulge what it is at the mo.

WOW - its sounds like its been quite the busy summer for you! That's great + about your younger bandmates!

Just curious - your wife, Ginny is a board certified reflexologist as well... do you get regular or semi regular reflex sessions?

Cheers,
KF

Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:17 pm

Oops. I posted a response meant for today but it somehow ended up under the Tuesday report.

Kit

Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:34 pm

Hi Kit -
I checked out your post.
Sad to hear bout your situ - hope you find something good soon...
I couldn't get your youtube link to work... Check out Craig's youtube tutorial in the LR forum...
Cheers,
KF

Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:51 pm

I don't know why the link does not work for you, but when I clicked it it took me to my youtube channel. Guess I'll just do it the hard way and embedded them here:

Creep-
[youtube]lwZ_g4RAKDo[/youtube]

Don't Dream It's Over
[youtube]3RdFiOf37mA[/youtube]

My Girls - a Harvey T orginal
[youtube]ocvPe4KS_uw[/youtube]

Thanks for the interest.

Kit

Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:05 pm

Hey Kit,

I think GbL site is acting glitchy today. I couldn't access the Marketplace earlier too..
Thanks for posting the vids - I'll take a look!

Cheers,
KF

Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:14 pm

Hey again -

I dig the original tune - I like its lazy laidback feel... Are you playing a G&L Legacy??

Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:53 pm

The guitar is a Melancon Pro Artist, shown below:

I played the guitar through a Swart AST amp. I used 2 pedals, the first is a custom-built kind of Tubescreamer with an overdrive plus a separate clean boost, the second pedal is a plain Dan Echo (which you can hear during the solo portion of "Don't Dream It's Over").

Kit

Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:12 pm

Cool! Cheers for that -

KF

Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:18 pm

Katefan wrote:Moving on.... Here's a strange bit that I know some of you have seen before -

Who can tell me what it is and better yet - who has a G&L with one on it? Remember the rule, it only truly exists if there's pics posted!

Hi KF,

I haven't had a lot of time to pipe in this week but I have thoroughly enjoyed your LR duty this week. I just got home after a very busy week and just noticed nobody has answered your trivia question yet. Surprisingly enough, I have no guitars with said implement because first off you'll need a DFV for it to make sense. And I mostly have Saddle-Lock, or Locktight as they were still know around the time of that little gizmo, bridges. But it comes in handy when you have to change strings.

And funnily enough, in this short time I have not been able to find a pic in the gallery either. Oh well. It's almost Labor Day weekend. Tomorrow Dave Matthews Band at The Gorge.

- Jos

Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:32 pm

Hey Jos,

Sweet! Glad you dug em! Yep, you got it! too am a bit surprised you have don't have a G&L that features one. But, yeah they're pretty scarce I imagine.... Kinda of novelty thing as I wouldnt want to drill a hole in G&L to fit it - the Peavey Predator - no problem tho.

I dig the fact that Leo went to the trouble to 'carve' his name in them and such a small part.

Yeah, kinda quiet here today but BIG weekend for the States... heading into a Labour Day weekend I bet many folks played hooky today and/or have been swamped and trying to wrap things up... Here a lot times folks take TWO days off before a big holiday weekend!

Thanks for chiming in and hope you have fun tomorrow @ the Gorge!

Cheers,
KF

Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:53 pm

Who's Gigging. Not this weekend. We try to restrict playing to one show a month these days ... corporate and private functions usually. Currently have a Convention dinner and show booking for mid September and then our regular Halloween show in October planned.

Mystery Part. No idea but it looks like maybe some sort of switching mechanism?

Clips Glad to were you got the clips up. Nice work by the way ... one of my bands had Tush on the set list. Always enjoyed playing it and might just see if the fingers remember it later...

I don't have any live recording readily available but in the spirit of sharing here's a couple of the clips I posted when I did LRs last years.

This cover of Rocky Mountain Way was an amateur recording session we did in the early/mid 70's but was essentially a live take. Our vocalist/rhythm guitarist built his own talk box from an old shaving kit and tubing and we were the only band in town that had one. Like many a 17yo playing lead guitar in a gigging band I thought I was a guitar hero, but in reality I still had a lot to learn ... particularly around feel..

Rocky Mountain Way

Second clip is an original that I wrote for a side project band that my bass player friend and I had in the late 70's. Again, recorded as a live take (although there is a rather patch to a damaged part of the original tape)

Black River

Covers From the Black Lagoon. I still listen to those clips from time to time. Question .... Fever Dog finishes with "Coming in October 2011" . I've been looking but must have blinked.

Cool week and I always enjoy your choice of clips.

cheers, Robbie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:05 pm

Mystery Part.
Sham- WOW !!
...er, I mean Trem-Lock :?

The trick is to get it in the groove ~

Thanks for an entertaining week Jason !!

Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:25 pm

Hey Robbie -

Thanks for posting those - I really dug em! Nice tone & playing on RMW - what were you using? That homemade talk box sounds Fab!
That riff/melody on your original is hypnotic and catchy as - I dig the vox too!

Re CFTBL - its done and came out early this year. I have an extra copy - email me your address and I'll pop it in the post.

Thanks - glad you dug em and thanks again for your help.

Cheers!

Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:30 pm

Elwood,

SWEET !! ....he shoots, he scores - Nicely done, man.
Cool axe.

You're welcome!