Lunch Report: 2012-08-15

Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:28 am

Lunch:
Roast beef sandwich with ceaser salad dressing + Brooke Bond Taj Mahal tea.

G&L:
Mahogany! Who has a mahogany bodied G&L? What is it?

I want one. Specifically, a mahogany bodied L-1000. I don't need one since I have all maple and all mahogany at the house, but the L-1000 is the sweet spot between the two more or less.

Bikes:
Boise Tour de Fat is in three days! Here's some video from 2008.
[youtube]o7SNldLymGg[/youtube]

Video
Here's the first episode of Season 2 of This is Ambient.
[youtube]TboWbvWdtss[/youtube]

That's from a small park in downtown Boise. I'm pretty pleased with this one, in particular I like the different depths of motion, from the wheel up front to the cars way, way, back that aren't much bigger then a few pixels.

This was the second shoot for me to get an episode at the park. I had an SD card or battery issue the first shoot (probably battery) after I had to restart because some angry cursing yelling gal was killing the passive big time. I felt sorry for the guy who was on the receiving end of that.

Something I'm finding as This is Ambient rolls on is that I'm figuring out what I want from the program. Some of the earlier episodes were too close to the "picture on the wall" and overall I've upped the action a little, but I've gone over too. I actually think having a range is okay, but there is clear goal of being passive while not looking like a still frame (aka "picture on the wall").

Passive TV web presence galore
TV Cycle web site
This Is Ambient web site (Yup, that's it)
TV Cycle on Facebook
TV Cycle twitter
This is Ambient twitter

...more tomorrow.

Re: Lunch Report: 2012-08-15

Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:16 pm

Brock, I had Tomatoes and Watermelon for lunch, the perfect combo!

Yes I have had a Mahogany G&L. I had one of the Mahogany Special Build Bluesboys. It is probably the only G&L which I did not bond with. It was not a tone thing but I never cared for the neck. I have many different necks and that one just didn't do it. I traded it for sweet S-500 and have never looked back. The Bluesboy I traded has been up for sale several times. I do have an American Deluxe Strat that has a mahogany body. It is a nice guitar but I bought it when Fender was raising their prices in 2010 and considered it a place to put some money, maybe a not so good choice in the end.

I haven't watched your videos today but will do so later. They are always cool!-- Darwin

Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:46 pm

G'day Brock, I love Magogany . I own a great 1984 Mahogany body L 1000 .
I don't think it was ever played because of the ski slope problem. I had a talented Australian luthier fret dress it. He took so long to do it , it has to have the lowest profile upper frets on any G&L ever.Once I work out how to get pictures up I will show you all.
Cheers
Anthony

Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:23 pm

Brock,

I have a herd of three 'hogs: an '80 L-1000, an '81 L-2000E, and an '82 S-500, all with maple boards. I didn't go out looking for these. They found me, and am I ever glad they did. I bought the L2KE expecting a rescue bass that would require professional help, but it turned out just to need a set of strings with reasonable gauges (the ones on it were ultra light, and put the neck into back bow) and a willingness to overlook some misguided "personalization" by a previous owner. The S-500 was supposed to be a less intensive project; it was described by GC as being heavily modified, but they just didn't know what the early pickguards and controls were like. Neither did I at that point. Turned out it was dead stock, with minor play wear for a 30-year old. The L-1000 was more of a splurge, since it was in very good plus condition with a mint OHSC and case candy. It was so early that it may even be considered pre-production (June/July 1980).

The S-500 is everything a Strat-type guitar should be: a player's choice between chimey, snarky and bitey, all at the flip of a switch and a turn of some knobs. The sound isn't as brilliant as my maple-bodied 'Hawks, but I would go with the S-500 if I wanted to cut through a mix playing rhythm.

The 'hog/maple combination on the early L-series basses is magical. I've strung them both with decent quality flat wounds, and they go anywhere from reggae and old Motown to funk. Sometimes it feels like the treble cut (a/k/a "OMG") switch on the L-1000 could rattle the whole planet. I also have an '82 swamp ash/ebony L-1000 as a rescue instrument. The electronics have been disconnected since I took it in, but strung with similar quality flats it doesn't seem to have the deep resonance of the 'hog/maple basses. I'm expecting a lot more top end from the rescue bass one it's up and running.

Ken

Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:51 pm

only have the one hog bodied G&L.

Strangely enough it's my only G&L :)

Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:35 am

I have only got one Mahogany bodied G&L, it's a F-100 from 1981:

Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:58 am

Hi Brock,

I got 8 hog G&L's, 6 purebreds (G-200 I just bought from Josey Wales, ASAT Junior #82, ASAT Super, ASAT HB, ASAT Classic Bluesboy, 25th Anniversary) and two with maple caps (ASAT Deluxe, F-100 Return Edition). Cannot tell you anything about the G-200 yet, but all but the hog ASAT Classic Bluesboy are great guitars. The hog adds some warmth to the sound or is just the right way to go when you talk about the maple capped ones. There is a reason these maple capped Les Pauls have their appeal ;) That Bluesboy is just somewhat disappointing mainly because the SD '59 bucker in the neck doesn't match the bridge MFD as well as the Seth Lover you'd ordinarily find.

I love your vids Brock. Great stuff :happy0065:

- Jos

Edit: referenced the wrong neck pup
Last edited by yowhatsshakin on Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:11 am

I have an asat special deluxe, 2011.

Its a mahogony bodied, maple capped beauty. With an ebony board, the guitar is very bright and powerful! Love the big mfds.

Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:51 pm

I had a Super for a short period of time, didn't bond with it. Almost bought an LE from Jay, but it was either that or a Heritage 150 he had and I needed the 150 more at the time.

Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:36 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:Hi Brock,

I got 8 hog G&L's, 6 purebreds (G-200 I just bought from Josey Wales, ASAT Junior #82, ASAT Super, ASAT HB, ASAT Classic Bluesboy, 25th Anniversary) and two with maple caps (ASAT Deluxe, F-100 Return Edition). Cannot tell you anything about the G-200 yet, but all but the hog ASAT Classic Bluesboy are great guitars. The hog adds some warmth to the sound or is just the right way to go when you talk about the maple capped ones. There is a reason these maple capped Les Pauls have their appeal ;) That Bluesboy is just somewhat disappointing mainly because the G&L bucker in the neck doesn't match the bridge MFD as well as the Seth Lover you'd ordinarily find.

I love your vids Brock. Great stuff :happy0065:

- Jos

Congrats on the G-200 Jos. I passed on bidding cause I wasn't sure about that hairline radiating from the neck pocket, but I still find myself regretting this. I only have one Hog, it is my ASAT Deluxe carved top. Love this guitar, great tone and versatility.

Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:23 am

JagInTheBag wrote:Congrats on the G-200 Jos. I passed on bidding cause I wasn't sure about that hairline radiating from the neck pocket, but I still find myself regretting this. I only have one Hog, it is my ASAT Deluxe carved top. Love this guitar, great tone and versatility.

Thanks Jag. I'll let you know upon arrival what it looks like after I'll take of the neck and whether your concern is/was warranted. However, since JoseyWales bought this one at Buffalo Brothers in 2008, I do have all confidence of structural integrity. And one more thing. Since this is not the best looking G-200, I can play the crap out of it without feeling guilty ;)

- Jos