Lunch Report 2012-08-13

Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:29 pm

Hello, and welcome to the lunch week!

I almost forgot about this, but thankfully I remembered and also ate lunch. This is totally gonna work.

Lunch
Jack in the Box All American combo. Double cheeseburger (no mao, no tomato), fried, iced tea with lemon.

G&L
I love the MFDs. I appreciate that Leo Fender put out the P-Bass footprint. My Martin EB-28 was losing hard to the first-style SB-2 when it arrived at the house, but an MFD transplant helped that. Here's a pic of an (not mine, but looks pretty much like it) EB-28:

Question: Any standard size footpring MFD you'd like to see available?
Personally, I'd like to see whatever the EMG size in my USA Hamer 8 string bass and also a J-Bass footprint would be great.

Video
I've been working on passive television for well over a year now. Last fall, I got to explain what it is in five minutes. Here's the presentation.
[youtube]56EMzLoAzD8[/youtube]

An annoying problem is the amount of time it takes to upload. The shows are 15 minutes long, and with my DSL connection, that video takes about 9 hours to send up. I'll probably figure out a network priority solution that massively cuts down my upload traffic on the network when people are using it.

Anyone have experience good/bad/ugly with the newer routers with QOS prioritization?

More lunch report tomorrow...
-Brock

Re: Lunch Report 2012-08-13

Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:00 pm

dsl upload speeds are notoriously low. if i want to upload something big, i tether to my droid, i get 10-12 mbs a sec upload on that.

Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:15 pm

Hey Brock - that's awesome!! Great Idea and nice presentation!!

Lunch for me today was spent dialing in my new (old) SS Jansen amp! $50 delivered! SOunds sweet + great tremelo!

Cool Idea on the MFD transplant -
Yeah, I dig MFD's too. I've always been a fan of Alnico pu's but over the year my ears have been tuned to Leo-era MFD goodness.
I esp like how they interact with changes in the volume (and tone) control - rolling back the volume a bit warms things up and makes for greater versatility.
I can't think of any other pu's sizes I'd like to see. I'm just glad Leo made the SC-3/S-500/ASAT Classsic single coils the same footprint as his earlier Fender pu's.

NIce start to the week!

Cheers,
KF

Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:14 pm

Brock,

That is one awesome presentation! And a beautiful mix between presenting an art concept and a patent application ;)

+1 on louis' comment. ISP's are OK with you downloading stuff fast but uploading they throttle hard just to make sure you do not intend ill will and are attempting a DoS (Denial of Service) attack. But it would be worthwhile to call them, explain your goals and who knows. It might mean you need to be assigned a static IP address so they can open that channel and have you upload faster. But it wouldn't hurt to ask.

I like your idea of a 6-, 7-, or 8-string versions of the MFD for bass guitars in the most common footprint for each of these numbers. On the guitar side, I personally do not see the need for MFD pups in lets saya PAF format or something. I rather get me a G&L outright to give me that MFD tone ;)

- Jos

Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:36 pm

Brock,

I didn't realize Martin had made electric basses. I would love to try one of them.

I've never really thought about replacement MFDs, since I only have two non-G&Ls. I'll never change the old DiMarzios in my first "real" bass (cobbled together from pieces of Fenders back in the 80s), but I have an Epiphone Genesis guitar that's been modified quite a bit. I'm not sure what the footprint is on the MFD large humbuckers (like on the F-100 and G-200), but if they fit the standard Gibson humbucker footprint I think they could turn that guitar into a tone machine.

I have no experience with uploading large files...

Ken

Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:44 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:I like your idea of a 6-, 7-, or 8-string versions of the MFD for bass guitars in the most common footprint for each of these numbers.

The eight string bass is actually octave pairs of four, so it's not alarmingly wider than a four string, and the way Hamer packs them in, it might be the same. The twelve string which appears to be the same instrument but double the octave up strings looks to have the same width and even headstock as my 12. I've played one, and the string sets we're far too close together for my taste.

Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:34 am

Nice lunch report! really enjoyed your presentation!, my idea of passive TV is watching Golf!..lol, put's me right to sleep? oh did I mention
I used to play Golf!, well play at it?..ps love my MFD's!

Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:58 am

Hey Brock
I enjoyed watching your presentation againm and I still think that Ignite Boise looks like a really intersting concept ... some great stuff on the website.

Interesting correlation ... last Friday Ed pondering terminal options and here on Monday you're educating us on passive TV. The connection? ..... Do I remember correctly that Ed once made a request for a passive TV episode he could play at his funeral LOL.

cheers, Robbie

Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:07 am

Brock, cool bass. I have never seen a Martin Bass either.

Uploading, or downloading, it is all slow for me. I tried to view your video this morning and gave up. I will view it later. I seem to have problems downloading if there are several photos in a thread. I should upgrade to a faster connection. I upload photos to Photobucket and only have trouble when the ads appear. I live in a cave. Looking forward to your video as they are always interesting and I can't imagine what Passive TV could be. I will find out later.-- Darwin

Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:44 am

darwinohm wrote: I upload photos to Photobucket and only have trouble when the ads appear.

I'm regretting storing pics at photobucket, they sorely need to simplify their scripting.
I have an older pc and what should take 5 minutes can turn into an hour :shocked003: !??!!
I found a site called Slickpic which is more streamline, less options = faster for me.
what sucks is I have to mull through photof*ckit (pardon my french) to transfer pics :shocked028:

Probably time to stop recommending photobucket as a good option for picture hosting
in the tutorials.

[if you haven't tried AdBlock Plus ( an extension for your browser ) you might try it ;
it can really help speed things up. It can be disabled and enabled easily if for some reason you don't want it
active while browsing ]

Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:06 am

Brock wrote: The twelve string which appears to be the same instrument but double the octave up strings looks to have the same width and even headstock as my 12. I've played one, and the string sets we're far too close together for my taste.

I believe you ... especially given your propensity to turn 6 stringers into four stringers .

One of the coolest old pickups I have is a Jaguar style 8 string from a Fender pedal steel.
I'd like to see an MFD single coil in a Deluxe sized G&L lap steel .

A few years ago Gabe made (probably the first and only) a 7 string MFD pickup for a client,
I don't think we ever heard back as to how it field-tested . (maybe it'll be mentioned in The Book)

Elwood

Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:18 am

yowhatsshakin wrote: On the guitar side, I personally do not see the need for MFD pups in lets saya PAF format or something.

I'm getting a pretty great PAF type tones by running two 80's single coil MFD's in series.
I have them squeezed together in an old F-100 instead of the humbucker , with switching that
allows single/parallel/series it's covers alot of bases reallllly well.

( G&L should give the doubled SC a bench test, it's a bit more colorful than just a single MFD bucker )

Elwood

Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:25 pm

huck wrote:my idea of passive TV is watching Golf!

I actually addressed that at the very beginning of the speech. I'm no stranger to TV golf on in the background. Baseball is pretty good too, though in both instances I'd prefer for them to just leave one camera on one shot and ditch the commentators.

Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:36 pm

Aussie wrote:Hey Brock
I enjoyed watching your presentation againm and I still think that Ignite Boise looks like a really intersting concept ... some great stuff on the website.

I missed the last one because I was scheduled to appear on another program that also airs on Boise cable. I'll be more careful next time. It's not passive, but features a pre-recorded first style SB-2:

[youtube]BJHOGrdS2z4[/youtube]

Ignite Boise is neat event. It's free, it's at a neat old theater downtown, and I get to ride my bike there.

http://igniteboise.com/