No votes
The hangman’s noose
10%
The guillotine
30%

Total votes : 10

Final Nominational Lunch Report: Friday, August 10, 2012

Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:41 am

Wow, I really can’t believe it’s Friday. This week has really flown by, no? I want to say that I appreciate all who have stuck with me, read, participated. Really enjoyed getting to put some faces to names (real and imagined), checking out family photos, videos of songs that have moved us. I’ve enjoyed it all. Thank you!

Time for some make-believe. You have been sitting on Death Row in Texas foreventeen years. You have been convicted of a heinous crime (purchasing a FMIC guitar on eBay while intoxicated, perhaps) and all your appeals have been exhausted. You realize now the error of your ways, but it is too late. Far too late.

Four days before your last day in this world, the Warden comes to your lonely cell. His eyes won’t meet yours OK. Let’s play some make-believe: You have been sitting on Death Row in our great state of Texas for, but he has come to get from you your last meal request. He says you can have two appetizers, three main courses, three sides, three deserts and two beverages. What would you order up under these terrible circumstances? What would you have for YOUR last meal? (I’ll give you my thoughts in reply later on).

In the meantime, for my lunch here today on the outside, I feel like having grilled lamb chops, a Greek salad with lots of feta and olives, a baked potato with butter and sour cream, peach cobbler and strawberry lemonade. Yes I do!

G&L Questions (I know the first isn’t original): You know you can’t take your G&L guitars with you, but if you could, which one would it be and why? More realistically, since you can’t take your favorite G&L guitar or bass with you, who would pass it on to and why? If you could leave a note in the instrument case for the next owner, what would it say?

More G&L Content: I have a confession. Last Saturday night, I pulled the trigger on a new (“in-store demo” – so listed as used) G&L Legacy. According to UPS, today will be “NGD” for me. Unfortunately, I’m also expecting company from Germany and family from the NY area later today, so it may take me a few days to get you “proof of life” pictures, register the new guitar, and to respond to todays LR responses. Please forgive the delay, but I swear, it’s crazy her and getting crazier by the day. I’m so stressed that I actually do not want to get a guitar today – not even a G&L. I don’t have time even to open it.

[Aside: I have enough guitars already so have a deal with my wife whereby I can only purchase one if I sell one that I already have that will cover the cost. As a result, I will (with regrets) bet putting one of my collection up for sale in the coming days, probably my beautiful, mid-90’s Hamer P-90 Special. If you’ve been wanting a guitar like this, keep an eye on the Marketplace where I plan to list it before resorting to eBay.]

Anybody else have some sort of deal with your partner concerning gear purchases?

Thanks again for tuning in. I really enjoyed being your Lunch Reporter this week – as always. I will respond to responses to today’s missive, but it may take me a few days due to circumstances beyond my control. Have a great weekend all and stay cool! - ed
http://youtu.be/vl91teHpBjY
Last edited by zapcosongs on Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Final Nominational Lunch Report: Friday, August 10, 2012

Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:11 am

Great job ED

Wow, lots of questions, hmmm.

for last meal, nachos, chicken wings, flatbread meat lovers pizza, veal parm, rib eye steak (done black and blue), french fries, scalloped potatoes, linguini, my mom's butter rum torte cake and her hazelnut cake, along with a bottle of red (cab sav) and a bottle of rum.

My current #1 G&L seems to always be changing, right now I would take my bluesboy with me. It gets better with age.

The current deal I have with the wife is that I can upgrade guitars, but have to sell one for one. So, to make room for the GbL special coming, I'll have to sell something. I've listed my lefty legacy in the marketplace, awesome guitar, fantastic neck (shameless plug).

Thx

Alf

Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:39 am

Today it's Leo Fenders 103rd birthday, or better would have been.

Which guitar would Leo have taken with him? Would it have been a guitar anyway or rather a technical gadget like an iPad?

Maybe not, regarding Dick Dale in this video:

[youtube]V_K9-BsuPk4[/youtube]

Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:52 am

nice week ed. not planning on being on death row but if i had to have a last meal i'd make it one blond, one red head, one brunette, one... ;) - - what guitar would i pass along? it would be a toss up among BB #1, ASAT Prototype with Hummer in the bridge, ASAT III with hummer in the bridge and DF, and the G&L that started it off for me, an early L1k. then again, it might be none of these and would instead be my faithful Guild D-40 or a Taylor "Lemon-Grove" era 510 that i bought after encouragement from Ches.

:)

p.s. so the guy with the TA put it back up on TGP with the same "it's new" blurb. some folks never get it.

Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:05 am

[youtube]vl91teHpBjY[/youtube]

Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:03 pm

Great job this week! I didn't participate in writing but I did read along and got a kick out of the responses. Do I exist if I don't have photographic evidence?

Great tune Louis, I've seen him with Tull more than once, he is great.

I hear the guillotine is the most humane way to go but there seems to be a lack of empirical evidence to back that up.
Fred

Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:20 pm

Fred Finisher wrote:Great job this week! I didn't participate in writing but I did read along and got a kick out of the responses. Do I exist if I don't have photographic evidence?

Great tune Louis, I've seen him with Tull more than once, he is great.

I hear the guillotine is the most humane way to go but there seems to be a lack of empirical evidence to back that up.
Fred

not my tune fred, it's the one ed posted, i just linked it, he hasn't figured out how to link youtube vids. he can't because of his religion. :mrgreen:

Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:22 pm

i am not sure how one could take a g&l with them. burn it? i don't think i would want my guitars not to exist just because i am no longer.

Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:49 pm

Wow - Ed, I'm curious bout your thought processes ;)
Sounds like its more than full on at your place... must be if you're not stoked about NGD.

I didn't vote as my preferred choice of exiting would be a swan dive off a very tall buildling... hopefully I'd lose consciousness before impact and there wouldnt be too much of a mess.

Boring as it sounds I'd pick Char, my burnt '90 ASAT SIg. Not too flash but best overall guitar I've owned.

Not much of a foodie - think JonC has the right idea but I'd add some...
[youtube]pZ-Ctgm7AAQ[/youtube]

Thanks for a fun week - hope things let up for ya soon.
Cheers,
KF

Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Oh geez. I just read my LR post from this AM and I need to brush up on my editing skills. Sorry.

Keep those responses coming. Thanks! -ed

Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:39 pm

Nice poll to start the weekend Ed!

Last meal: a 6ft high pile of hot butter croissants filled with ham, cheese and tomato followed by a sherry trifle.

My gear thing is selling one to afford another which works out pretty well if you buy used.

Hope you don't get driven mad by all your guests!

Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:51 pm

I meant but neglected to comment on Darwin's photo of Ginny and the grand kids, but words escape me.
Wow! Those girls are going to break a lot of hearts. - ed

ps: Friends here from Germany, gotta go. UPS guy came at about 4 PM and I put the box in the garage.
That ought to give you an idea of the state of things.....

Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:54 am

zapcosongs wrote:Oh geez. I just read my LR post from this AM and I need to brush up on my editing skills. Sorry.

Keep those responses coming. Thanks! -ed

Great Job this week Ed! Love the mug shot sharing and the polls.

P.S. Doesn't matter how I go, only that my soul is free from this mortal coil.