Friday 3rd August

Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:56 am

Lunch today was Japanese –noodle soup type dish with what the menu called ‘spicy meat’. And was it ever spicy. I love hot food, and this was about as hot as I can handle. It had that combination of heat from chilli and pungency of black pepper. Delicious, warming, and went especially well with the Yabisu beer we had.

As some of you might know, I’m studying electrical engineering. I’ve just entered my final year. The worse thing about being a student is that you don’t get much of a break over the weekend. I’m exhausted as I type this lunch report, and would like nothing more than to not have a pile of work to do on Saturday. Instead I have a LOT of research that needs to be for my final year project - three-dimensional high frequency spatial filter design and fabrication :yawn:
If you had one, what was your final year project/thesis? And did you end up working in that field?

Anyone gigging this weekend?
I have a gig on Sunday afternoon at this dump of a place called the Hallam Hotel, which is one of the most lifeless, depressing places on Earth. I actually got a speeding fine last time I left the place :D

G&Ls
Got a favourite G&L prototype ? Aside from Jos’ stunning ‘Port &Chocolate’ Bluesboy, this is my pick.
A year or so ago there were a lot of comments on this page wanting a shell pink type colour, and it seems that someone was listening! I’d love to see this colour added to the standard finish range

Here's a bit of kitsch '60s country music for y'all
[youtube]A_kkA0Zb6BY[/youtube]

Big thanks to all for participating this week, its been a pleasure :thumbup:

Re: Friday 3rd August

Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:23 am

Jamie,

I wish I could have played more this week. Your Dad's situation is miserable, but all to common these days. I am sure he will find something grand to do, keeping himself far from trouble. I had a good friend who lost his retirement twice. Once when Touch America bit the dust and once when MCI/Worldcom crashed.

I think the carving burning is kinda interesting, but not for me. The z-3 looks great, for surely.

I can't even spell thesis.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:38 pm

More guitars are being added to the Prototype list.
I like the Comanche.

No gigging, just having to write 3 Ternary forms for homework. No guitar. The first being a String Quartet.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:07 pm

Yeah, bum to hear bout your Dad's situ. Perhaps it will turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

Wow - your schedule sounds pretty full on & you have a gig to boot - well at least you're getting some playing time in even if the venue is a hole.
Worst but coolest place I've played is the Central Saloon in Seattle aka The Central. I say worst b/c the current owners really let the place go. The 2nd time I played there was a couple years ago and there was a hole in the stage and they simply nailed a board over it!
:crazy:

I completed a Electronic Technician Certification course many years ago and we had to complete a final project. They also had a work placement programme in place tho where you could attend class for a few hours and then go to work (if you had landed a job in a related field) I opted for that route and I was able to bypass the end of term project. :D

Cool looking Gat - dig the colour.

Here's a pic of an early G&L prototype that a buddy of mine in Seattle owns. He snagged it off eBay years ago for a song.
Its a 2nd gen SC-2 but is fitted with Cavalier humbucking pickups. If you look closely you can see that they used stock MFD covers and simply punched new holes for the 2 rows of pole pieces.

I've seen and heard in action + had the pleasure of playing it. I have to say it has one of the coolest looking & nicest contoured #2 necks I've seen. I don't have a photo off the whole gutiar otherwise I'd post it.

Thanks for a fun week Jamie!

Cheers,
KF

Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:03 pm

Great week, Blarg. Much appreciated. Thank you too for the nod for next week's honors. You are a tough act to follow.

Gigging this weekend?: Nope. Who'd want to hear me play anyway? However, I have fresh strings on my LP DC Studio and have been playing it through my old Rockman unit and good Sony headphones, which is fun and does not disturb the wife and kids. (Don't fret, my 1st style SC-3 is next in line!).

Favorite G&L Prototype: I LOVE the color of your choice, Blarg, and hope that it sticks. But my favorite prototypes are the ASAT Deluxe with the red and black bowling ball finish, and the Korina Legacy HB. I actually made an effort to acquire these, but alas, I was outmaneuvered.

Have not had the chance nor the pleasure to check out today's video, but I will and have appreciated your selections this week. Bully!

Hey Katefan, I love that proto you posted. That wouldn't happen to belong to a member who's handle rhymes with "rot" would it? Man, that is a great piece of history, and undoubtedly one rocking guitar. Wow! - ed

Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:06 pm

Nice week Jaimie

G&L Prototypes. To be honest while they all look cool, nothing really stood at and said "Grab Me". I did quite like the look of that legacy with the Autumn burst on Ash.

Gigging. Not really a gig but its my youngests 18th today and we're having a party this evening. We are using a friends dance studio which is located in the muddle of a commersial area so we don't have to worry about neighbours. My band will be playing some, and my other son and some of his friends will also be playing. Hopefully there'll be a fair amount of jamming and open micing as well. Friends from Staging Connections are providing some pretty cool lighting and stuff ... and some security guys. Should be a great night and hopefukky we won't make the news like so may other teenager parties seem to do these days. Fingers crossed.

Hope your gig goes well.

cheers, Robbie

Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:17 am

zapcosongs wrote: I actually made an effort to acquire these, but alas, I was outmaneuvered.

That's a fantastic word! I have to work that into the report I'm writing :thumbup: Bummer they got away

Aussie wrote: Should be a great night and hopefukky we won't make the news

:lol: Another great word! Sounds like its going to be a great party!

Katefan - I think we all want to see a few more pictures of that guitar, sounds like a rock machine! :elguitar054:

Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:57 pm

Thanks Ed. No, not the guy you're thinking of.

Hey Jamie - agreed. Will see if I can get some more... haven't talked to him in quite a while.

Cheers,
KF

Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:58 am

Here's a pic of an early G&L prototype that a buddy of mine in Seattle owns. He snagged it off eBay years ago for a song.
Its a 2nd gen SC-2 but is fitted with Cavalier humbucking pickups. If you look closely you can see that they used stock MFD covers and simply punched new holes for the 2 rows of pole pieces.

I've seen and heard in action + had the pleasure of playing it. I have to say it has one of the coolest looking & nicest contoured #2 necks I've seen. I don't have a photo off the whole gutiar otherwise I'd post it.

Katefan,
That looks like the twin to my proto. They were made in pairs many times so that they could make changes and make side by side comparisons etc. I repainted mine soon after I got it because they only had sealer coats on them and I wanted to play around with an experimental finish. You can see it in the Gallery. It appears to be original.
Fred

]

Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:43 am

Late reply here Jamie, I just got back..

All the prototypes that I saw pictures of were awesome. They are all different and that makes them especially cool.

Glad you were gigging as it is always fun. This past weekend is the first I had off in a string of about 10 weeks. We went from casual gigging to more than we had ever planned and I have been turning some down because we are already booked. Having been around bands for some time, noting lasts long so I will enjoy as long as things are cool!

Thanks for the LR's last week Jamie.-- Darwin