25%
Jamaica
No votes
Russian Federation
No votes

Total votes : 8

Monday 30th July

Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:48 pm

Hi all. I’d like to encourage any newbie’s to the board to participate this week! And if anybody wants to volunteer for duties next week PM me.

Lunch today was Malaysian. My girlfriend and I are both at home so we went to a nice place down the road. I had the beef hor fun, she had a nasi goreng. Malaysian is one of my all time favourite cuisines, not least for the delicious drink Teh Tarik.

The Olympics
Good? Bad? Indifferent?
I think they’re great. I’m not fond of the opening ceremonies – the games themselves are spectacle enough. The TV station broadcasting it down here is doing a crap job. They have two channels on which to show the events, yet they’re showing the exact same thing on both. And rather than show interesting sports which rarely get TV coverage – like fencing, or shooting – they’re replaying swimming. BORING!!!

I feel sorry for any Muslim athletes competing in the games - it's Ramadan at the moment, they must have a lot less energy. And how are they hydrating? Poor buggers!

What sport/activity would you like to see in the Olympics? Me – wood chopping! It blends strength, speed, agility and skill.
[youtube]PoFFgVIy5t8[/youtube]

G&Ls
I’m expecting delivery on an ASAT Korina Jr II tomorrow. I’ve been incessantly checking the shipping tracker – its actually kind of interesting seeing what route they take – so far its Boston-Memphis-Honolulu- Sydney. Next stop my house! I remember once something I order from the USA came via Sweden :eh: The pilot must have been taking stupid pills!
Anyone else got something cool on order/in the post, G&L or other guitar, pedal, amp?

Some music
Mia Dyson – Tell Me
[youtube]oFVU0zOW7sQ[/youtube]
That’s some honest stuff right there. And what a great guitar sound!

Re: Monday 30th July

Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:16 am

what do you mean biggest drug cheat? in the olympics? sports in general? recreational drugs?

what happened to the aussie 4x100 free relay? the relay of mass destruction (their self proclaimed nickname) self destructed.

maybe the ramadan explain why muslim countries do so poorly in the olympics?

Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:56 am

Hey Jamie,

There's a good Malaysian restaraunt here in Auckland called KK. My girlfriend really digs it - I don't as much as some of the offerings are a bit olly/greasy for my tastes. Never had the Teh Tarik - that sounds and looks good. Never have been much of a tea drinker but since moving here I find I really like it esp with milk.

The Olympics for me are a snore fest. Would dig em more if they did have events like tree felling - Full on.

COol re your recent acquistion! I just sold my '82 refin Strat yesterday so I have my eyes on something to replace it... more on that in the near future.

Nice vid & good start to the week!

Cheers,

Kf

Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:51 am

Jamie, we are having a brunch today instead of lunch. Fat stuff on the grill!

I have not had time to even view any of the Olympics and I probably misunderstood you poll question and did not even think of the Olympics so I probably voted for the wrong answer.

I can only imagine the excitement on waiting for the delivery and then to see what condition it arrived in. I hope it is stellar. I had an ASAT bass on hold last week but found a nasty mark on the bottom of the headstock and declined to buy. Probably a good thing but I was primed for an ASAT bass. -- Darwin

Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:32 am

Hi guys.... thoughts on the olympics.. I'll probably get more interesed as it proceeds to the finals stages. we have saturation coverage on the good old BBC........... sadly i got bored with the opening ceremony! never understood the need for one.... just say go!

I'm waiting for the last Dawes lp to arrive in the post......... first "new" band I've gotten into for a long time.
[youtube]xGJaBul5BjU[/youtube]
cheers
john

Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:40 am

Hi Jamie, Great start to the week.

I don't really watch the Olympics. I'm a NFL and Baseball fan. So I doubt there's any sport that has more drugs involved than the NFL!

Good luck on your delivery. I look forward to photo's and a tone report! I had a new guitar delivered Saturday that I didn't even realize was coming! :lol: Back in March I pre-ordered the Epiphone Ace Frehley Budokan Les Paul. They only made a 1,000 and they sold out immediately. They actually oversold them, and cancelled a bunch of orders. I never heard anything, so I assumed my order was cancelled. I woke up Saturday and it was on my front porch. Today I got the email telling me it shipped, and they took the payment from my account today.

I've always loved Les Pauls, and I think the Cherry Sunburst Customs are a beautiful finish. This model is equipped with three Dimarzio's and has a very sweet tone. I have issue's with Gibson's pricing policies, so I went with the Epiphone because I didn't want to pay the Gibson price. I could have bought 5 ASAT classics for the price of the Gibson model! :roll: I struggle playing them though. I prefer the G&L necks over any guitar I've played. They really fit my hands and are very easy to play. But this guitar is a work of art!

Speaking of Ace, my wife and I were invited by his assistant to come to Detroit this weekend to see the show and meet him before the concert. This was the 2nd time this month I got to meet him. It was a really cool experience. He's the reason I am the guitar freak that I am! At 61 years old, he still sounds great. His band was tight and they played a lot of cool, obscure stuff. Something his old band should take note of!

Thanks Jamie for the Mia Dyson video. I've never heard of her before, but I liked the song a lot! And you're right, great sounding guitar! Thanks for posting it!

Dave

Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:54 am

Lunch today was the old standard bacon and eggs!

I was hooked on the olympics, watched it all weekend. THen this morning I turned it on and nbc had women's volleyball (the USA team of course) and our canadian channel had men's gymnastics on.

I got bored and figured I don't watch these sports normally, so why now......I turned it off..

Swimming to me is like watching paint dry, way too boring and way too many medals....

I'll be back watching for the finals, soccer and then some track and field.

My last big purchase was my Heritage 150. I've swapped out the pots, caps and put in a set of wolfetone marshallheads pups. WOW the thing growls now, love it.

GASing for another acoustic maybe.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:12 pm

The poll question was meant to be confusing, sorry!

louis cyfer wrote:what happened to the aussie 4x100 free relay? the relay of mass destruction (their self proclaimed nickname) self destructed.

Who knows. The best team can't always win I guess :mrgreen:

darwinohm wrote:I can only imagine the excitement on waiting for the delivery and then to see what condition it arrived in. I hope it is stellar. I had an ASAT bass on hold last week but found a nasty mark on the bottom of the headstock and declined to buy. Probably a good thing but I was primed for an ASAT bass. -- Darwin

It's a matter of hours away now - according to the tracking its just up the road :o Shame about that bass, you could always custom order one!

oneeyedog wrote:I'm waiting for the last Dawes lp to arrive in the post......... first "new" band I've gotten into for a long time

Nice stuff John. 'Bonnaroo' sounds so Australian, I was shocked to learn its in the USA!

RampageFan wrote:I have issue's with Gibson's pricing policies....

Me too. I was looking a Gibsons a few weeks ago and was perplexed by the pricing. What is virtually the same guitar on paper, perhaps with a different finish option, can cost $1000's more. Crazy. Good move going the Epiphone route :happy0065:

astutzmann wrote:Swimming to me is like watching paint dry, way too boring and way too many medals

Amen to that. The new Heritage sounds great!

Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:01 pm

As to Gibson's, it's that "same on paper". To me there is a world of difference in the feel and quality between Gibson and Epiphone. To me it is worth it to own the Gibson. My Gibsons will probably appreciate in value over time; it's doubtful the Epis will.

That said, not every Gibson is a great guitar. I'm pretty darn picky, and I think I have some that are really nice. I think the Gibson Historic models are some of the best guitars made.

I know I'm a guitar snob!

Bill

Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:54 pm

Jamie,

This was a great start to the week. I am always blown away by the videos you share. Cash Savage and Clairy Brown videos are in my bookmarks, and now Mia Dyson will be too. Even if the song and the singing hadn't been so good, the tone on that guitar would have made this track stand out.

I stopped following the Olympics years ago. I remember them from my childhood as the big West vs. the USSR contest for bragging rights. I think it must have been when the US sent its top pro basketball players to crush all the other teams that it started to seem all about money and endorsements. Now I just can't get into it at all.

I took up fencing a couple of years ago, and had a couple of practice bouts with an Olympic hopeful. We would start, I would get ready to lunge, and the buzzer would go off. He was so fast that I couldn't even begin to react. If it hadn't been for the buzzer (that goes off when the tip of the foil touches the other fencer's metal vest) I wouldn't have believed he was even getting the touches on me. I do enjoy watching the sport, but the fencers have to be as slow and awkward as I am in order for me to follow what's going on...

Good luck on the Korina Jr II (wait - aren't Roman numerals dumb? :wave: ). I have a couple of Leo-era basses that are due to arrive tomorrow. One is a sunburst first style SB-2 with heavy flame, and the other is a Bahama Blue Lynx. They came from the West Coast with one week shipping, and FedEx has let them sit a couple of days at each stop to make sure they don't get here early! I guess they need to do that to keep the prices up on the faster options.

Ken

Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:08 pm

Nice start, Blarg.

I did a bit of research on your lunch meal today, and ended up drooling more than a little bit. Wish I had a place around here that served that type of fare. I'd be fat for sure, but I'd have a look of dull contentment on my face, much like I wore during my four years of undergraduate school. ;+)

If nobody else has volunteered, I'll take next week's LR duty. It's been a while, and I have a bit of a break next week (having company the following week from Germany - again!). I guess I need to start giving this some thought, maybe take a new guitar photo or two....

Olympics: Saw much of the opening ceremonies (not bad, but I hate to say that I enjoyed China's more). I think they tried to do too much. I'm surprised that Charles Darwin didn't have a slot of honor, frankly, right up there with Bowie, lol! But I understand that they've got their priorities...... (I like D.B, btw!)

Muslim athletes: Interesting issue. Cant' touch this here.

ASAT Korina: Wow! You must be really excited. Korina is my second favorite tonewood - after maple.
Looking forward to hearing about it, seeing photos, etc.

New Olympic Event: Can't touch this. ;+)

Mia Dyson: Liked it a lot. Nice song. Great tone. I'm not sure what the guitar amp is that was used in the recording, but it reminds me of an old Vibro Champ.

Thanks for the fine report! - ed

Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:31 pm

blargfromouterspace wrote:Lunch today was Malaysian. My girlfriend and I are both at home so we went to a nice place down the road. I had the beef hor fun, she had a nasi goreng. Malaysian is one of my all time favourite cuisines, not least for the delicious drink Teh Tarik.

I had the opportunity to visit Penang about twenty years ago. The cuisine immediately became one of my favorites. I was there for about a week, and don't recall having a single meal that wasn't excellent. I will have to try Teh Tarik.

zapcosongs wrote:I did a bit of research on your lunch meal today, and ended up drooling more than a little bit. Wish I had a place around here that served that type of fare.

I just Googled a Malaysian restaurant off Wisconsin Avenue in Bethesda, a couple of blocks south of NIH. It's called Penang Bethesda. The price was listed as "$$", which I didn't think was possible in that neighborhood. I'm going to have to plan a trip over there one weekend soon. It looks like it's just a couple of blocks from the Bethesda Metro station.

Ken

Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:54 pm

KenC: Sounds like it's worth a try. Do folks think the food and atmosphere is good? I'll may just have to check this out. I'm developing a real hankering for good coconut-enhanced rice and goodie bits.

Bethesda's only about 20-25 mins. from me. Maybe we make it a little party. Hey Bassman.....!!!
(and my wife likes to eat, lol!).

What was I saying? -ed

Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:11 pm

blargfromouterspace wrote:The Olympics
Good? Bad? Indifferent?

Don't care. The Olympics have been comercialized beyond recognition. It's a sad thing all in all.
blargfromouterspace wrote:Anyone else got something cool on order/in the post, G&L or other guitar, pedal, amp?

I am expecting something I have been looking for since 2007. Seriously. I may be off by a couple of years. But somewhere in that time frame G&L took away the ability to order a a tweed OHSC from the online store. And although I think people that part out G&L guitars are complete idiots, in this case (no pun intended) I'm the beneficiary.

blargfromouterspace wrote:Some music
Mia Dyson – Tell Me

Can't stop listening to it. Great (and honest) stuff. And how about that. After importing it in my iTunes library, she appears right before Middle Brother, the side project of a certain Taylor Goldsmith who is the lead singer/guitar player of Dawes. Now, just for you not in the know, Dawes is the follow up of Simon Dawes, the middle names of Blake Mills and Taylor Goldsmith. Blake has moved on to a solo career and replaced Doug Pettibone in Lucinda Williams' band, whereas Dawes has gone on to release some fine albums: 'North Hills' (2010) which is one of my all time favorite albums, and their follow up 'Nothing Is Wrong' which is more than likely the one oneeyedog is waiting for.

- Jos

Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:29 am

zapcosongs wrote: I'd be fat for sure, but I'd have a look of dull contentment on my face, much like I wore during my four years of undergraduate school. ;+)

You just described me - I'm a fat, dull, contented undergrad!
Mia uses a '60s Goldentone amp, they're an old Australian company. They sound damn good, and fetch high prices these days.
And thanks for volunteering for LR next week :thumbup:

Jos - That Dawes connection thing is spooky!

Ken - Roman numerals ARE stupid, I stand by that statement :mrgreen: Looking forward to pictures of those basses too!