Tuesday July 24 Pinch Hit

Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:11 pm

Just can't let the day go by without something here. Forgive me if my furtive, belated effort is slightly lame:

1) What did you have for lunch today? I had a McDonalds bacon, egg and cheese biscuit sandwich, with a glass of orange juce (I got two this AM and saved one for lunch). Bad, I know, but tasty in its own way....

2) General question: What artist or band were you crazy about when you were younger, but no longer appreciate?

3) G&L Question: Do you have a G&L guitar that you used to play a lot, that no longer gets much action? If so, why, and what has replaced this old friend?

Thanks for tuning in, and have a great evening! - ed

Re: Tuesday July 24 Pinch Hit

Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:38 pm

Great to see you doing the LR, ED. I'm looking forward to the week of reports you promised later this summer!

The first band got into was KISS, when I was in middle school during their mid-70s heyday. My interest tapered off when my sister gave me a Jethro Tull album, and then went away completely when she gave me the Stones' "Some Girls" for Christmas. It's going on 35 years now since I've had any desire to listen to them.

Whenever a new G&L joins the collection, the others see less playing time for a couple of weeks. It hasn't been anything permanent yet, and hopefully never will be. After almost a month, the fretless L2K is still getting more play than all of the others combined.

Ken

Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:00 pm

Thanks Zap! No forgiveness needed...

1) I made eggs benedict. Yeah, four of them... What the H!

2) Captain Beefheart, Edgar Winter; I still do, but not in my playlist (so to speak).

3) At the moment, I'm down to one: that S-500 I won't shut up about. It's my #1 again...

Cheers,

Will

Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:04 pm

Hey Ed,

1- Lunch was Combination #78 at Green Leaf (vermicelli bowl with sale, spring rolls, grilled flank steak , and a skewer with 3 large prawns)
2- Lot of the English early 80's pop: Simple Minds, The Cure, Simply Red, Comsat Angels, Spandau Ballet, Big Country, etc. come to mind.
3- Same as Ken above. It's a tough market out there for a guitar to be payed by me ;)

- Jos

Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:00 am

lunch was sushi, tuna and salmon, 5 pieces each, and coffee with 35 grams of protein powder as creamer.

i liked stryper a lot when i was still in hungary, i had no idea what they were singing about. now that i can understand what they sing about, i no longer listen to them.

it's still just my bluesboy, but i am looking for an asat special deluxe with the right set up, or a comanche or s500. the bluesboy gets plenty of playing time.

Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:09 am

Louis,
Although you no longer listen to them, there is a G&L connection to Stryper. Aria guitars commissioned me to paint a bass for Tim Gaines while I was working at G&L because it would have taken too long to get it done in Japan. My only instructions were to make sure it was yellow and black. He had no idea what it was going to look like until I gave it back to him. Michael Sweet liked it so much he had me paint his Les Paul with the same instructions. Just a bit of useless trivia for you.
Fred

Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:18 am

Nice Save (again) Ed!

1) What did you have for lunch today? Chicken and salad sandwich ... although today was Wednesday here ... so I suppose the correct answer is that lunch on Tuesday was a roast beef sandwich.

2) General question: What artist or band were you crazy about when you were younger, but no longer appreciate? Ok ..... I confess ... and beg forgiveness .... back in the '70s, along with my interest in prog and folk rock, I felt like a good time thats never been had ...
[youtube]nYMc3v6HTXs[/youtube]

3) G&L Question: Do you have a G&L guitar that you used to play a lot, that no longer gets much action? Nope ... only admit to having one and that still gets regular use.

Hey Fred. Great stuff and I've enjoyed reading your posts over the past few weeks. Must be a real buzz when you see an instrument you worked on in a players hands!

.... again ... nice save Ed.
cheers, Robbie

Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:03 am

Fred Finisher wrote:Louis,
Although you no longer listen to them, there is a G&L connection to Stryper. Aria guitars commissioned me to paint a bass for Tim Gaines while I was working at G&L because it would have taken too long to get it done in Japan. My only instructions were to make sure it was yellow and black. He had no idea what it was going to look like until I gave it back to him. Michael Sweet liked it so much he had me paint his Les Paul with the same instructions. Just a bit of useless trivia for you.
Fred

that is really cool. thanks for the info. they were a talented rock band.

Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:06 am

Ed, thanks for the report yesterday. I already had lunch today, a Turkey Pastrami on Pumpernickel. It hit the spot.

I still love the music I listened to when I was young. I never get tired of the old R&R. I am in a big rut.

The only G&L that I could never connect with was the Special Build Mahogany Bluesboy which I sold some time later. Jos picked one up recently and also said it was a different animal. I will be adding another G&L today, after lunch. I put it on hold yesterday. Will post some pics when it arrives.-- Darwin

Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:50 am

Thanks Robbie, you're right, You tube has immortalized some pretty cool footage of stuff I was involved with. There are some great concerts of Phil Keaggy with the Hybrid Strat I built him in the early eighties.
Louis, I've heard they were good but I wasn't into metal so I only heard a few clips. I was into prog. rock and fusion, still am.

Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:00 am

"I was into prog. rock and fusion, still am." - Me too.

Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:04 pm

Hi Ed, Thanks for picking up the lunch report yesterday. I was away yesterday, so sorry for the late response.

The G&L that gets the least amount of playing time is my Tribute Rampage. A fine guitar, nothing wrong with it. I just prefer the oiled necks of the original Rampages.

There was a band in the 80's called Nitro. I loved them. Now, I am embarrassed to admit I even know who they are, let alone admit I bought their cd's! What was I thinking? :oops:

Ken, You mentioned Kiss, Earlier this month I got the chance to meet Ace Frehley, and I will also get a chance to meet him again this Friday in Detroit. To me, Kiss is just fun music. Ace was the reason I got interested in the guitar, so I have a soft spot for them.

Dave

Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:26 pm

No score. I had a beautiful ASAT Bass on hold but I noticed a nasty nick on the bottom side of the headstock. That was a deal breaker for me.-- Darwin

Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:05 pm

RampageFan wrote:Ace was the reason I got interested in the guitar, so I have a soft spot for them.

Dave,

It was a long way back, but I know that Ace made me want to play guitar too. I ended up playing electric bass as my first instrument because too many of my friends were already playing electric guitars, but it was definitely him that made me think about playing in the first place.

Ken

Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:09 pm

I've been trying to think of bands that I've grown out of, but can't really think of any. There were a lot of bands that I only liked one or two of their songs--I'm not into some of the deep tracks of say, Led Zepplin.

Pretty much all of my G&Ls get played. I have one Legacy that has a neck that I really don't care for. I may decide to send it back to the factory for a new neck--it feels very different from my other guitars, and not in a nice way. It's gorgeous--Vintage White with matching headstock, tortoise guard, rosewood board and cream plastic. My ASAT Deluxe doesn't get played much, mostly because I prefer the 2HB tones of my Les Pauls and 335s. But I have found a niche for it, so I'm hanging onto it. I probably should sell it, but it is too pretty to let go.

I love all my G&Ls!

Bill

Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:15 pm

My first musical purchase was a 45. Sheena easton "My baby takes the morning train"
I can't stand that song. I am embarrassed I bought it. :oops:

All my G&Ls get played. How do you guys know when to rotate? I'm talking about those who have over 10 guitars in their possession.

Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:45 pm

Meow -

I play one until the (new) strings are dead. Then I change the strings on another until they die. Rinse and repeat. - ed

Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:50 pm

meowmix wrote:My first musical purchase was a 45. Sheena easton "My baby takes the morning train"
I can't stand that song. I am embarrassed I bought it. :oops:

C'mon admit it meowmix. You didn't buy that single for the music did you? Did you? ;)

Well, I'll admit I had a soft spot for 'You Could Have Been With Me' and still have.

- Jos

Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:25 pm

meowmix wrote:How do you guys know when to rotate? I'm talking about those who have over 10 guitars in their possession.

My basses aren't really on much of a rotation. I usually keep 2-3 readily at hand, and use whichever one works best for the music I'm playing. That has a lot to do with the strings on each one, and the tone that particular song requires. The L1K nails early country or Motown, the Interceptor is the go-to for rock, and the L-2KE covers just about everything else these days.

My living room guitar is usually the ASAT Classic just because of how it feels and how it resonates (I don't keep an amp out there), but every couple of weeks I'll swap back and forth between it and one of the ASATs. That normally just happens when the random thought strikes. I'm not sure why the ASATs are always out there, but I guess that's just become my body shape of choice. The others rotate in the music room based on what I'm playing, or come out for an A/B test and stay awhile. I've been feeling so comfortable and inspired by the fretless 2K that it's temporarily pushed the guitars out of the picture. They'll get their turnn again soon.

Ken

Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:32 pm

"I'm on the top of the world, looking down on Creation."

And there is no good explanation I can find.

Lord help me. - ed

Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:53 pm

Bill - I love all mine too (though the older I get, the more I actually appreciate Zep's deeper tracks.

Darwin: Shame. You really needed another bass. ;+)

KenC: An older kid of one of my Mom's friends put Thick as A Brick on the turntable for me and my brother back in the winter of 1973. Big moment for me.
Then he put Living In The Past on. Wow! Martin is to this day my favorite guitarist.

Louis/Fred: I'm going to have to give Stryper a listen. Great story too, Fred. Thanks!

Aussie: There's something compelling about that video.

Yow: Really Wish I could have joined you for lunch. Just out of curiosity, what is a Combination #79? ;+)

- ed

Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:57 pm

Lunch: Rosemary Chicken Fettuccini with sun-dried tomatoes and a Sailor Jerry Backyard Tea.

louis cyfer wrote:i liked stryper a lot when i was still in hungary, i had no idea what they were singing about. now that i can understand what they sing about, i no longer listen to them.

I feel the same way about NOFX.

Fred: Awesome story.

As for a G&L I no longer play, my WR Signature Series. Love, Love, LOVED this guitar playing it sitting on a stool in the practice room. Since I have been playing out more, I really miss the curves of a Legacy style guitar. The ASAT Deluxe Carved top is all the compfy that the WR isn't. So, I will likely sell the Clear Orange Tribby once the USA WR Orange sparkle with belly cut and arm contour gets here...