Friday 7/20/2012 Lunch Report

Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:29 am

Sorry I'm a day late.

Lunch:

Tuna & noodle casserole and a cup of water.

Guitars:

After years of playing Stratocasters, S-500's & Comanches I finally figured out that those guitars aren't for me. Have you played one style of guitar for a long period of time only to discover they just didn't work for you?

On Monday I stated that I would post a photo of my favorite G&L in my small collection.. My favorite G&L in my collection is a '93 Asat Classic that I bought from a fellow G&LDP member.

The '93 Asat Classic is the only G&L in my collection that gets any playing time these days.

Cars:

What's the best vehicle you've owned and what was the worst?

My best vehicle was an '88 GMC, S-15. The worst one is sitting out in the driveway. It's a 2012 Chevrolet, Silverado that's going in the shop on Monday for a few days. It needs lifters, a door lock actuator and a radio and it has a tire vibration. It's 3 months old and has 3500 miles on it.

Sprinter 92

Last edited by Sprinter 92 on Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Friday 7/20/2012 Lunch Report

Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:04 am

I was a Strat fan from high school (in the early 80s) onward. A friend played a '68 Tele which I loved, but for me there was just something about the sparkle and variety of sound I could get from a Strat. The in-between settings were always my favorite.

That lasted up until I came across G&L. I've ended up with a couple of Leo-era Strat-types (an early S-500, Nighthawk and Skyhawk), but I'm drawn much more to the SC series and ASATs now. I can't really say why, other than it's a vibe they have. FWIW, I could look at Fender Telecasters or even new ASATs all day long without feeling a whole lot of GAS, but those old maple bodies with big MFDs just do it for me.

I've experienced the same thing with basses (my primary electric instrument). I cobbled together a hybrid bass out of miscellaneous old Fender parts back in high school, and thought I would never be interested in another bass. Some back problems in the late 90s led me to my SB-1 (and G&L in general). I thought the SB-1 was the only other bass I would ever need (for the lightweight body and the tone). Realizing that my Fender hybrid could not be traced if stolen from a gig (there was no serial number on any of the spare parts it was made of) and discovering that the SB-1 is very possibly a prototype, I decided I should have a third bass for playing out. Honestly GAS didn't play into this at all, just the desire not to put two priceless-to-me instruments at risk of theft or damage. I picked up an early L-1000, and that bass opened a floodgate. I suddenly had more low end than I had ever imagined was possible, and had to explore what was out there. At this point I don't have a new favorite, but I'm eager to figure out what could end up being the "new one".

Ken

Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:09 am

Late, but not too late... As for styles that do not work for me: ASAT/Tele's.
I just sold my Anderson Hollow T for exactly what I paid and adios...

My worst car was a Hyundai Excel and best is my LM002 Lambo.

Have a great weekend!

Cheers,

Will
Last edited by willross on Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:10 pm

I know you work at a GM dealer Steve, Should have bought a Ford! When it comes to cars I'm a GM guy through and through, Chevys, Pontiacs, Cadilacs, Buicks, you name it I've had one. When it comes to trucks gotta be a Ford. Never a problem and I work the hell out of them.

Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:47 pm

Never too late for an LR indeed! And nice Blonde you have there :clap:

In my teenage years I always thought I was an LP man. My first electric was a Hondo LP knock-off and played that thing for years. Then an American friend of mine who moved to the Netherlands for work parked his '88 Fender Strat at my apartment while he was looking for a place to live. That opened up my ears a bit. But still, after I myself had moved to the US, my first 'high-end' guitar was a '82 burgundy LP. Then I stepped into The Zobrist one day and played a '97 or '98 orange G&L ASAT Classic. Oh man, that guitar played so natural. When I finally had the money it was already gone and got a G&L Legacy Special instead. That G&L got more playing time than the LP right away. Shortly after, I custom ordered my '99 Butterscotch Blonde ASAT Classic not only to complete the 3 'classic' electric guitars and/or shapes but also because the memory of how much fun it was to play that model was still very much alive. Both the LP and Legacy hardly got any playing time anymore because I was and still am deeply in love with my first ASAT. Somewhat later I traded the LP for an PRS Artist II and never really looked at Gibson electrics again. How my love for ASAT has exploded beyond what I ever would have imagined is probably well known to those reading this. Still I play the Legacies and PRS's fairly often but, as probabilities would predict, most of the time I play one of my ASAT's with the same caveat as Ken mentions above that they have gotten some stiff competition of the 2 SC's in the collection.

The car question is relatively simple because I, or I should say my wife, only has had two. The Nissan NX was the worst and the best is our Honda Civic.

Have a great weekend,

- Jos

Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:03 pm

westsideduck wrote:I know you work at a GM dealer Steve, Should have bought a Ford!

I get the chance to work on a few Fords and I'm not interested in owning one. I recently replaced an engine in an '06 F-150. What a pain in the ass.

Sprinter 92

Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:30 pm

funny, my legacy has the fastest neck with the lowest action,but I just dont feel great with it. Bluesboy is much nicer. Might have to try an s-500, maybe it'll be better.

In 1994, I bought a 1988 Porsche 911, black on black with the big whale tail on it. It had 100,000 miles on it, was lowered, short shift kit and a bunch of other things because the lady who owned it, raced it. So, it was cool, but a bit beat up. I paid $30,000 for it.

Repairs were expensive but it didnt matter.

I loved it, it drove like a go cart........I had it for 5 years, added another 100,000 miles to it and I bet I would still have it today if it didnt get stolen right out of my driveway.........................16 tow trucks, 2 nights took 32 cars out of the neighbourhood and I lived in one of the nicest, yuppiest areas of toronto. bastards. Cops said it would be on a boat going overseas within 48 hours. Real gone in 60 seconds.

Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:10 am

i am perfectly happy with both teles and strats. i played ibanez rg550's in the early 90's for quite a few years, but no matter what pups i put in there, i couldn't get the tone i was looking for. gave them away. never got friendly with lp's or 335's although i have both. the scale length is just too short for my hands, and the cutaways to cramped.

Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:54 am

Always loved the Strat tone... my 1st "good" guitar was a year 2000 US Strat, still have it, still love it but I'm more drawn to the "Tele" tone now...
worst car... toss up betwen a Datsun 120Y, which literally fell apart on me! and a Austin Allegro , from which the wheels fell off!!! Best... either a Citroen Xantia or my current BMW 520i tourer
john

Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:17 am

Sprinter 92 wrote:Have you played one style of guitar for a long period of time only to discover they just didn't work for you?
Nope. I've learned that over time I've become unusually tolerant to different neck profiles, scales, and even string configurations, and small fleet I have today is for the most part stacked to get different sounds. Ashbory Bass, bass guitars, bass banjo, four string guitar (fretted and fretless), eight string bass, etc.

What's the best vehicle you've owned and what was the worst?

The 2002 Jeep may be the winner for best. The worst is easy. 1984-era Renault Fuego.

Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:25 pm

My best AND worst was a '94 VW Golf. It drove better than any other car I've owned, but broke down spectacularly.

My favourite was my old '69 Holden Premier. Broke down a lot as it never got the care it needed from me, but you could fix it with two spanners - 1/2" and 9/16" - and the part that broke could be found just about anywhere and cost very little. One summer the water pump died in a town with a population of about 1000, and the petrol station happened to have a spare one lying around!

My favourte G&L happens to be a blonde ASAT Classic too :thumbup: