Wednesday 7/18/2012 Lunch Report

Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:56 pm

Damn it's hot in Missouri today. It was 106 degrees today. I'm a winter lover and this heat is getting me down. How's the weather in your part of the world?

Lunch:

Turkey sandwich and a large cup of water.

Guitars: Would you like to see G&L offer different scale lengths?

I'd like to see a 25" scale neck offered. After 24 years of working on cars my fingers aren't as nimble as they used to be. I've found that 25" scale necks work better for me.

Cars:

You've won the lottery and you can buy any car you want. Which car would you pick?

My choice would be an SRT8 Dodge Charger.

I said Monday that I'd share some photos of my small G&L collection.

I'll start with my '84 HG-2. It has a flame maple body.

'90 Comanche V:

I wish G&L would bring this body style back. I think the Invader series would look great with this body!

Random race car photos:

Last edited by Sprinter 92 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Wednesday 7/18/2012 Lunch Report

Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:34 pm

Howdy Steve,

My lunch was pozole and yummies!

A 106 is just too bloody high for me. Reminds me of my time living on Sicily. But at least they had the smarts to stay inside between 1pm and 4-5pm. The joke over there was always that anybody seen walking outside between these hours was most definitely a (non-Italian) tourist ;)

G&L already offers different scale lengths. Their Tribute Ascari Series has a 24 3/4" scale. But even then, instead of different scale lengths, e.g. bringing back the G-200, I rather have them build a baritone. Your S-500 looks spiffy and apt to be used by a 'long hair' band, but especially that HG-2 is magnificent looking! :happy0065:

If I would win the lottery guess I first would have to get my drivers license before even thinking about buying a car. Or I'll defer the decision to my wife and she can buy whatever suits her best. As long as I can buy a couple of guitars ;)

- Jos

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:55 pm

I think we were up around 105 in downtown DC this afternoon. That's been the norm so far this summer.

I would be the first person in line if G&L reissued the G-200, or put out any other US-built 24 3/4" guitar. I've liked most of the Tribbies I've tried, but the Ascari just doesn't appeal to me for some reason. I play a lot of chord melodies, so I think the shorter scale would work well for me. I've even tried a few Gibson solidbodies in hopes of finding the right guitar, but none of them have appealed to me. Hopefully we'll see something with a shorter scale out of Fullerton one day...

I would also love to see a shorter scale on a G&L bass. This would make the most sense in the Tribute line, since it would probably appeal the most to younger players. Both of my sons want to play bass. I was able to find a decent MIM Precision Jr. (a very short-lived model) for the older one, but haven't found anything for the younger one where the price and build quality are both reasonable. I would go for a 30" Tribbie for him in a heartbeat.

I'm not much of a car guy. There are boats that come to mind if I had lottery winnings to spend, or more likely I would hunt down a G-200.

Your HG-2 is gorgeous!

Ken

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:13 pm

Steve, It is hotter than hell here in Minnesota. We don't take kindly to this kind of summer! Today we had a break with some well needed rain.

I'm all over that HG-2. What a beautiful piece of maple. The Comanche is cool. Is that a white that has yellowed or is it a vintage white?

I am not into cars that much but my 78 Caddy Sedan Deville in Baby Blue was cool. If money were no object I would get an older Rolls Limo and buy some guitars to display in it. Seriously my soccer mom T&C is a sweet rig. Ginny is going to get another convertible within the next year as she has been without one for 4 years.

I am kind of bummed today because someone bought my Bluesboy Bigsby at AG&B. I was hoping to get it back. Oh well, I need another Bluesboy, a semi hollow like Louis has with no pickguard in Natural gloss with a gloss neck and maple fretboard. Ginny has hinted that I have been such a good dude recently that she may spring for a guitar. Watch me blow it!!!-- Darwin

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:14 pm

Yo!: You are one crazy dude. Or I am. How did I miss the S-500???

I had to look up your lunch today. Hard to find real authentic maize these days, no? Maybe a little more time on the road, and less in the kitchen, lol! Luv ya! (btw, what are "yummies" in this context? I'm just wondering because I may have had some of my wife's this morning after my kids went to swim practice and day camp, respectively).

Sprinter: Regarding guitar scale, it's kind of lost on me. I'm such a hack (or such an amazing musician,lol), that this spec means very little to me. After a few vodkas, if blindfolded, I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between one of my T-style G&Ls and my LP based on feel alone (though I can distinguish the diff between the sound of a MFD and a 498T humbucker with ease. What do I win?). (Gorgeous HG you have there. I LOVE maple bodies!)

If I won the lottery and could have any car I wanted, heck if I know. Don't shoot me but I'm kind of lusting for an Audi - or maybe a Lexus RS hybrid. So long as I get a tow package and free oil changes. - ed

PS: Hey Ken, enjoying "our" weather yet? Stay cool!

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:18 pm

Lunch occured at dinner time and was Jimmy Johns Hunter Club with Cheese and Avacado.

SWEET HG-2!

G&L: Yes I would like to see a G-200 scale guitar as a USA model. The Ascari/Cort model doesn't do anything for me.

Cars: I AM a car guy. If I were to win the lottery the car I would buy to drive is the new Mustang Boss 302. I think it is the perfect expression of the breed. On the collector car front, I'd hunt down a Black/Red Interior 1968 Mercury Cougar GTE- the only time Ford put a 427 in the mustang/cougar platform. Those two aside, I'd buy a 1965 Shelby Daytona Coupe, preferably CSX 2299 driven at LeMans by Jack Sears and Dick Thompson.

1965 Cobra Daytona CSX2299 by dschultz742, on Flickr

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:20 pm

Zap, your post showed after I posted mine. I am lost with the S-500 too. Maybe Yow has had too much heat or is it us? Hard to find a cold one cold enough in this kind of heat!-- Darwin

Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:14 pm

I'm just so happy to see that '90 Comanche V that I'm beyond caring. Ha! - ed

Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:51 pm

For scale length, I like the Legacy's 25.5". I use my Gibsons when I need a shorter scale. I like the 12" radius, can't get along with anything smaller these days. The PRS 25" scale feels weird to me.

I like your G&Ls! And I always love the pics of the cars when they get "slideways". My brother used to mechanic a Lotus sedan that did figure eight racing back in the 60s--70s.

Haven't chimed in this week. My car is a 2010 Chrysler T&C. My one requirement for a car is that it be big enough to carry me and my gear. Options are wonderful, I really appreciate them in my old age; but I have to get my gear and my big old fat body into the car.

The van has a Sirius radio, and I really like it. I listen to all kinds of music; I always have. I mostly tune into am/fm classic rock, classical, or sports yak/news. Portland does not have a smooth jazz station, so I listen to Watercolors on Sirius, a lot.

I've now owned two vans and three big wagons. The only normal car I've owned was my '65 Corvair Corsa, hardly a normal car. LOL! My dream car--gee, I have so many. Porsche Panamera might be a nice exotic. Would love a new muscle car, but don't want to pay for the gas or the insurance.

Great job as always!

Bill

Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:05 pm

i have been insanely busy. this is the car i'd get if i had unlimited funds, although i still may just get a toyota minivan.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:46 am

yesterday for lunch I had linguini carbonara. Bad I know, but oh so yummy.

I have always been a porsche car fan and if I had unlimited funds I'd see about getting a GT2, but if they werent available, a GT3 would do in a pinch, :^))

Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:21 am

zapcosongs wrote:Yo!: You are one crazy dude. Or I am. How did I miss the S-500???

darwinohm wrote:Zap, your post showed after I posted mine. I am lost with the S-500 too. Maybe Yow has had too much heat or is it us? Hard to find a cold one cold enough in this kind of heat!-- Darwin
Oops :oops: Must have had a complete brain fart. Or Comanche was just too long to type ;)

- Jos

Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:57 pm

darwinohm wrote:
I'm all over that HG-2. What a beautiful piece of maple. The Comanche is cool. Is that a white that has yellowed or is it a vintage white?

The Comanche V is blond.

Sprinter 92