Tuesday 7/17/2012 Lunch Report

Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:17 pm

I had my Lunch Report nearly finished and then my computer locked up. My second attempt is going to be short.

Lunch:

Two grilled chicken wraps and a large cup of water at the Dairy Queen.

Music:

Have your interests in music styles changed as you've grown older?

When I was younger it was Rock n Roll only. Now I'm into Western Swing too. I discovered it while surfing radio stations. There is a great old country and western swing station out of Fort Dodge, Iowa.

Music II:

Do you listen to regular radio or satellite radio?

I like regular radio.

Sprinter 92

Re: Tuesday 7/17/2012 Lunch Report

Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:39 pm

Hey Sprinter.

Have your interests in music styles changed as you've grown older? : When I was a kid, I mostly listened to Pop/Top 40 stuff. In high school, I discovered Rock n' Roll, and that's pretty much where I've been ever since. As a freshman at college, a new friend turned me on to Funk and Reggae - and I still enjoy these very much. I'm actually a huge fan of Parliament/Funkadelic - something one wouldn't guess by looking at me ;+). I'm also a big Marley fan (my Dad's brother was Bob and Rita's accountant, which is kind of irrelevant but true). After B. Marley's untimely death, there were a lot of unfortunate lawsuits, etc. owing to other women and children that may not have gotten proper legal recognition. Frankly, it got ugly.

Radio: I let my satellite radio subscription lapse. Then I renewed it. Then I let it lapse again. Truth is, I mostly listen to news, traffic, business, weather, etc., and in the DC area, there's plenty of this kind of information available for free. But now the satellite folks are offering me some great incentive rates, so stay tuned, so to speak! ;+) - ed

Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:21 pm

Hi Sprinter,

I'm still dieting, so my lunch tonight is still pretty boring. I have now lost 35 lbs. so far this year. Still have 29 more lbs to go.

My musical tastes have changed a lot. It used to be nothing but metal all the time. Now I don't really listen to it anymore. I have discovered albums by bands that I had no interest in while growing up. I like older 70-80's pop and rock. I now listen to bands like ZZ Top, The Pretenders, Tom Petty, John Mellencamp, Brian Setzer/The Stray Cats. My favorite bands are Cheap Trick, Kiss and Blondie. I also now like listening to country from the 50's-70's. Reminds me of growing and my grandpa listening to those songs.

I listen to satellite pretty much all the time I'm in my car. Haven't listened to regular radio in years. I got turned off by Clear Channel force feeding the same old latest and greatest. Older bands don't stand a chance anymore. There's been a lot of great music released in the last 10 years that have never been played on U.S. radio. A lot of those same bands still experience success in other countries where they are more open to different styles of music.

Thanks for the reports this week,
Dave

Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:50 pm

My tastes have changed a lot over the years, but I do keep going back to the better music I've enjoyed in the past. Growing up, I had almost no exposure to rock prior to the late 70s, and even then it was whatever got air time on the Top 40 stations. In high school I delved into classic rock a bit, but never had truly broad exposure. If I hear a classic rock station today, I can name maybe half of the songs and groups. Toward the end of high school (I graduated in '83) and into college, I really got into post-punk groups (especially Joy Division and Public Image Limited - driving bass lines with dissonant fragments of guitar thrown all over them). Somehow I managed to be a huge Jimmy Buffett fan at the same time. Since then I've gone through a very heavy Grateful Dead phase, immersed myself completely in modal jazz and the "New Thing" (especially John Coltrane's and Eric Dolphy's later works), binged on Alt Country, and made my way through mpost of the complete works of Leonard Cohen and Tom Waits. I'm starting to enjoy early country and western swing now too. Reggae and dub are also favorites.

At this point I find myself delving back through the CD collection and trying to give second chances to material that didn't really grab me the first time around, and tracking down albums and groups I missed back in the day. A lot of times I will seek something out just on the basis of a certain guitarist or bass player being on the disc. I also find myself hunting down music that came out the year one or another of my G&Ls was built. I guess a lot of it boils down to finding inspiration and new material to play. When I got the fretless L2K last month I started hunting the used music shops for anything Jaco Pastorius played on, that I didn't already have. The current inbound discs are the first Gun Club album (for some classic guitar I missed back in the early 80s), Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On" (to learn some James Jamerson bass lines) and The Crazy World of Arthur Brown (because it's The Crazy World of Arthur Brown).

I rarely listen to radio. Friends have raved about satellite, but I've never been intrigued enough to invest in a subscription.

Ken

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:15 am

Lunch yesterday was a big bowl of chicken noodle.

My music tastes have never changed. While I was in college studying music, I was exposed to all types. As I have said before, I am in a rut. I still do 50/60s rock and country from the same era. I quit listening to music in the 70 and 80's due to work schedules so there is a lot I have missed but I wouldn't consider missing disco a loss.

I have a trial of satellite radio in my T&C and it is okay. I would only buy it if I were traveling in the car a lot. -- Darwin

Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:12 pm

My lunch is complements of Caribou Coffee. The only thing about my listening tastes are that they keep getting older! Bring on radio in all it's forms; just pay the artists too...

Cheers,

Will