LR July 9th

Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:09 pm

Hi Everyone:

Just thought I'd chime in.

My ASAT Special Deluxe (lefty) was having problems with its volume pot. It would either sound like its off, or just turned a bit, would crackle and be very loud. It was getting annoying.

So, I ordered a CTS Lefty Pot and while I was at it, ordered a new oil in paper capacitor. The cap that was there, looked like a 5 cent special.

My luthier did the changes and he told me that while the pot was a left turning pot, it had a righty taper so it would never work properly. Any other lefties out there experience the same?

Anyway, my special works properly now and seem to have a lot more punch and growl from the large MFDs. Wow, huge difference, like a different guitar. I attribute that to the cap.

Anyone else found such a small mod makes such a huge difference?

Lovin the special even more!!

Alf

PS Cant wait until we finalize the special build!!

Re: LR July 9th

Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:59 pm

astutzmann wrote:Anyway, my special works properly now and seem to have a lot more punch and growl from the large MFDs. Wow, huge difference, like a different guitar. I attribute that to the cap.

Anyone else found such a small mod makes such a huge difference?

I've pondered having nothing but a volume knob on one pickup before on an instrument. I so rarely do anything with the tone knob other than all up anyway, plus I have other instruments with them so if the need strikes there's other options. Haven't done it though. Seems like fixing something that isn't broke.

-Brock

Re: LR July 9th

Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:11 pm

the cap makes a difference when the tone pot is rolled back some. i am yet to see an oil in paper cap though, that is some kind of a very new thing? :mrgreen: