Monday July 2nd

Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:10 am

July 2nd and it’s already hot as hell throughout the US, how are you handling this early heat wave? My veggie garden is sucking up as much water as I can put on it, I went out and got one of those plastic kiddie pools for my dogs to cool off in and I stocked up the outside fridge with plenty of Gatoraid.

Lunch was some dogs on the grill and two ears of some early local corn.

I know a lot of you guys do your own work on guitars, todays subject matter is the workshop. Mine has changed over the years from just a little spot in my spare room to a much larger area with a nice full sized workbench. I’d love to see your workspace, whether it’s for working on guitars and amps, wood working, automotive etc.

Here are some pics of my work space over the years.

The old workspace, as you can see it was pretty crowded.

doing a set up on the S-500

checking out some differant guards for a hawk I rebuilt

here is whjere I set up shop in my new addeiotion but moved a bit later

where I'm working now

Re: Monday July 2nd

Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:59 pm

Cool workspace, great collection of stuff too. Mine is just a towel on the kitchen table won't bother taking a photo of that!

It's cold, wet and miserable down here. I'd kill for a warm, dry day. For some stupid reason we've planned our yearly holiday to a spot in the mountains where it's going to be even colder. It was such a good idea at the time :?

Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:12 pm

what early heat wave? i am in so cal and it's 82 at the top of the day at 3 o clock. very nice weather.

Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:20 pm

westsideduck wrote: July 2nd and it’s already hot as hell throughout the US, how are you handling this early heat wave? My veggie garden is sucking up as much water as I can put on it, I went out and got one of those plastic kiddie pools for my dogs to cool off in and I stocked up the outside fridge with plenty of Gatorade.

The heat has been terrible here in Missouri. It's been around 100 degrees for the past two weeks with no end in sight. Today was 96 and will be the coolest day of the week. The metal building I work in has been miserably hot. I also have a good supply of Gatorade in the fridge!

westsideduck wrote:I know a lot of you guys do your own work on guitars, today's subject matter is the workshop. Mine has changed over the years from just a little spot in my spare room to a much larger area with a nice full sized workbench. I’d love to see your workspace, whether it’s for working on guitars and amps, wood working, automotive etc.

I do most of my guitar work on the kitchen table. I'd like to have a dedicated shop for guitar work.

Sprinter 92

Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:48 pm

My work is done on the kitchen table. Guitar and anything electronic.
Real busy today. No time to take pictures and post.

No heat over here. 70s during the day, 50s at night.

Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:10 pm

i don't even own a kitchen table. just a flat stool. that's it. my tech's workspace is much better.

Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:12 pm

westsideduck,

I always get a kick out of your pictures. There is so much to see.

The heat has been high here in the Chicago area for the last few weeks and much worse in Washington, Mo.
where my mother-law lives. It is always nasty there but it is early this year. Just an oven.

I play woodworker all day long as a job so my work bench today was a staircase. I hand scraped and sanded treads and tomorrow we start sanding the 1500 sq. ft. of red oak we installed last week. The high temps. make it fun .

Which of those cool G&L's gets the most playing time? You have some great guitars.

Take care,

Y2kc

Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:46 pm

Nice Space!,
It's been a long time since I have dedicated any space to a clean work area. I've been spoiled for the last twelve years because I run a high end cabinet shop so I can spread out and do whatever I want after hours there. One of these days I will put back together the tools of the trade and get back into having a space for guitars only in the house.
I can sympathize about the heat, it didn't get this hot all last summer here in Atlanta.
Fred

Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:43 am

Westside you are way more skillful than me. I like doing most jobs myself but some jobs I pay others to do. Like cleaning the leaves out of gutters on my house and setting up my guitars . They are worthy of professionals.
Cheers
Anthony

Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:42 am

Westside:

Here in the Seattle area we just came out of the 5th wettest June in recorded history. A few weeks ago I ran across a guy that had come down from Anchorage and he told me it was warmer in Anchorage than Seattle. Unofficially our summer starts July 5. That's what I tell all the transplants that complain about our May and June weather. Hopefully this year I'll be right again. Two more days! Come on sun - come out. :roll:

Love the pictures, busy and warm, nice muted light, kinda Norman Rockwellish without a human subject. They'd make nice jigsaw puzzles. I'm a towel on the kitchen table guy like many others here. Currently I take my nice guitars to a pro for set ups. My pawn shop specials I'll work on at home and get them in playable condition for sale. I will do electrical repairs on my nice guitars. Its kind of hard to blow an electrical repair on an electric guitar. My goal is to eventually do my own set ups on all my guitars. I just need a few pieces of equipment and a little more confidence.

Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:14 am

Howdy westsideduck,

That is some nice workspace you have there. Totally agree with asphalt-abate's assessment above calling it very Norman Rockwellish (nice word!). And he is right on the weather in Seattle too. We just had a verifiable downpour here this morning, but the 5th it is supposed to be sunny and 72. Go figure. Hope the weather clear up a bit because the outdoor concert series are starting up too so I'll keep my fingers crossed too.

- Jos