Re: G&L Founders

Thu May 02, 2013 8:28 pm

I realize this is a older thread but as a newbee I'm glad it got brought back up to the top !!.... its like a new thread too me : ) ..... I'm going to have to dig in to the older threads to see what I've missed

Thu May 02, 2013 11:05 pm

Fred Finisher wrote:Electrodyne,
Wow,
This thread goes way back, at least for me. I will need to ask Gabe if he or Kenny have the original records for the Purple Broadcasters. The story I was told when I was asked to paint them was that we were making them for a guy who would get them to Prince. Who knows if he was blowing smoke or if he really did acquire instruments for him.
Meursault, the stigma of an imported instrument has changed drastically because of the level of quality that began to come out of Japan at that time. As the instruments got better, the idea of playing an imported guitar such as an Ibanez or Yamaha was no longer a problem for the serious or professional player. One of the reasons that Fender and Gibson were experiencing sales declines were the fact that the seventies were not the best years for quality control. As the instruments began to decline in quality in the U.S., Japan stepped up their game and took serious market share. That is why the early Squires have a great resale value, they were actually decent instruments. With a few mods, mostly in pups and electronics, some would say they are as good or better than the Fenders of the same time frame. As far as all the imports of today go, I have seen good and bad ones. It really depends on what you are doing with them and if resale matters. Reselling an import guitar is hard to do without taking a hit so buying one as an investment is usually not a good idea in my opinion.
Fred

thanx for your answer...

i understand what you mean about the situation back in the 80's, for big brands like fender and gibson...
but i'm still sceptic about today's situation for G&L... with a good control quality and the choice to put the same electronics in the tribute (which is a really good thing IMO), it seems that the only difference between the 2 is the craftsmanship costs... well, since i didn't want to take any risk i bought 2 used US ones ! :mrgreen:

Fri May 03, 2013 8:04 am

Electrodyne,

Wow, this thread goes way back, at least for me. I will need to ask Gabe if he or Kenny have the original records for the Purple Broadcasters. The story I was told when I was asked to paint them was that we were making them for a guy who would get them to Prince. Who knows if he was blowing smoke or if he really did acquire instruments for him.

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the info. Glad you don't mind the thread resurfacing.

Regarding the purple-painted Broadcasters:

- Do you recall if the color was a solid purple color, purple stain or the metallic purple that is often seen with some of the early-to-mid 1990s G&L guitars?

- Would anyone have any photos of these Purple Broadcasters exist anywhere in either the company's archives or and original staff member's personal archives?

- Was the wiring and electronics that were used on the other 869 Broadcasters the same style wiring and electronics that was used on these two Purple Broadcasters? I know Prince has been using a 4-way switch in his Hohner Tele-style guitars for quite some time.

- Are there any records of who the contact person was in Prince's entourage that these guitars were being shipped to?

Also, besides Carl Perkins and Prince, were there any other artists who Dale Hyatt and other G&L staff tried to reach out to at this time?

These stories regarding the founding days of G&L, the other important people behind the scenes, and the various one-offs and prototype guitars are fascinating for some of us. Please feel free to post any other unique stories, remembrances and such. Likewise for any other original or current G&L staff.

Thanks again for your time!

Fri May 03, 2013 10:22 am

Electrodyne,
    Although I have a pretty good memory, there are a few nuances that are a bit fuzzy. The color was solid but I can't recall whether it was light, medium or dark. If I had to guess, I would go with medium, not violet or deep purple.
    Photos might have been taken in the sales department but I am unaware of any.
    Wiring was probably stock, but again, that would be a guess.
    There are probably records listed in the "Bible" which are the production records. Dale's son has possession of it now and he knows the importance of it and several other pieces that were in Dale's collection. Gabe made sure to point out the important pieces so that they were not tossed or sold.
    I don't know how many Broadcasters were given away but I'm sure Dale tried to get them into the hands of players that would help promote the line. I remember seeing Roy Clark playing one on TV once ( I believe it was a tour of Russia ) and James Burton probably had one. Other than that, I don't know where they all went.
    All this talk has made me curious though so I am trying to contact several of the folks that were there. Hopefully I can help come up with some new info in the near future,
    Fred

Fri May 03, 2013 3:52 pm

Fred Finisher wrote:I don't know how many Broadcasters were given away but I'm sure Dale tried to get them into the hands of players that would help promote the line. I remember seeing Roy Clark playing one on TV once ( I believe it was a tour of Russia ) and James Burton probably had one. Other than that, I don't know where they all went.
    All this talk has made me curious though so I am trying to contact several of the folks that were there. Hopefully I can help come up with some new info in the near future,
    Fred

Here's another: (sorry for the small image, but it's the only size we have in the Gallery):

:ugeek: