Lunch Report: 2012-06-22

Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:36 am

Hello from Twin Falls, Idaho.

So I'm here, in a dorm room, and it brings back memories. These dorms are quite a bit different than the one I had as an undergrad all those years and all those miles away, but it's totally a dorm. Set up for double occupancy, small, matching furniture, etc.

This room wouldn't stack like ours did. We had stacked beds, stacked the desks, and since we had freed up all the floor space we had a couch. We also had a drop ceiling so I was able to run a full-size stereo and a 20" color TV (tube) in the tops of the cabinets. I also had a bass amp in there.

Lunch
I don't know. Something in Twin Falls! I brought the studio bicycle so hopefully I'll get some TV shot while here. Shoshone falls are near here, and a deep canyon Evel Knievel tried to jump is right north on the edge of town. The dirt ramp can still be seen.

G&L topic: Ads
Question: Have a favorite G&L ad? what is it?

Here's mine. The whole "producing for tomorrow" bit is part of the appeal of Leo-era G&L for me.

Here's the ad courtesy of the GbL

Thanks for a fun week everyone. Hopefully I'll hear back from Kodor.

-Brock

Re: Lunch Report: 2012-06-22

Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:53 am

Looks like fun Brock,
We used to visit Moscow when I was going to school in pullman, but never ventured east much .

I saw this on Ebay the other day...brilliant!!

Ebay link

Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:43 am

Hi, never saw many (any?) G&L ads before... the cord got lucky one is great :happy0007:
handmade guitars.... are they still using tis description in ads?... are they still "handmade"?
john

Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:54 pm

Virtually every guitar can be considered "Hand made" if you consider the work involved in fretting a neck. Fret finishing cannot be totally mechanized. There is always a substantial investment in hand work to get a fingerboard playing well and I don't think a Plek machine can do the dirty work of hammering in frets.

So - They are all "hand made". From the cheapest Squire to the Collings you dream about.

I do like the "This cord just got lucky" ad campaign. I wonder if Darth thought of that?

bassman

Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:37 pm

Hey Brock. Hey all.

Sorry I've been awl this week, last week, and probably the week before. Too much going on here, with the kids home from school, friends in from Germany, and my folks wobbling through the final chapters....

I LOVE that lucky-cord ad. Wish I had thought of it. It's now my favorite.

Love the public TV stuff from earlier. Real Americana at it's humble and quirky best. Makes me smile.

I'm curious as to where and when you got your fetish for four strings. I dig it. Just curious.

Now if I could only find some of that tea of yours..... ;+) -ed

PS: Please don't ask me to be LR. I know I'm due, but it will probably be until August or so until I'll have time to do a proper job of it....

PPS: Going to catch the Beachboys on tour this summer? Talk about Smile.... Ha! Great stuff!

Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:09 am

Umm...so yeah, I bought that ad!

Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:58 am

bassman wrote:Virtually every guitar can be considered "Hand made" if you consider the work involved in fretting a neck. Fret finishing cannot be totally mechanized. There is always a substantial investment in hand work to get a fingerboard playing well and I don't think a Plek machine can do the dirty work of hammering in frets.

So - They are all "hand made". From the cheapest Squire to the Collings you dream about.

I do like the "This cord just got lucky" ad campaign. I wonder if Darth thought of that?

bassman

they don't hammer frets in. done with a press. been that way for a long time. even small luthiers with a single person shop do it that way.

Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:57 pm

Tim: that must be a goldmine. Here's one I've always liked. Interesting that it states the (small) MFD will fit "most popular" guitars with single coil pups.

Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:09 pm

JagInTheBag wrote:Umm...so yeah, I bought that ad!

LOL... :clap:

Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:35 pm

zapcosongs wrote:I'm curious as to where and when you got your fetish for four strings. I dig it. Just curious.

I like using left and right hand (no picks) and like to have wider string spacing. I also prefer that the neck not get too wide, and I'm also not super fond of unwound strings (mostly the sound).

I'm also not a fan of the B flat tuning above the D on standard guitar tuning, and run a high C on the five string bass (an L-5000 tuned EADGC) I have. If I had a 5 string guitar, it'd be EADGC probably too,

zapcosongs wrote:PPS: Going to catch the Beachboys on tour this summer? Talk about Smile.... Ha! Great stuff!

It'll be interesting to see how much of SMiLE they do since they basically combined the recent touring Beach Boys with Brian Wilson and his touring band. I really wish I'd have seen the 2004-era SMiLE Brian Wilson tour, but I found out about the SMiLE way too late.

Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:25 am

Brock wrote:
zapcosongs wrote:I'm curious as to where and when you got your fetish for four strings. I dig it. Just curious.

I like using left and right hand (no picks) and like to have wider string spacing. I also prefer that the neck not get too wide, and I'm also not super fond of unwound strings (mostly the sound). [b]

I'm also not a fan of the B flat tuning above the D on standard guitar tuning, and run a high C on the five string bass (an L-5000 tuned EADGC) I have. If I had a 5 string guitar, it'd be EADGC probably too,

zapcosongs wrote:PPS: Going to catch the Beachboys on tour this summer? Talk about Smile.... Ha! Great stuff!

It'll be interesting to see how much of SMiLE they do since they basically combined the recent touring Beach Boys with Brian Wilson and his touring band. I really wish I'd have seen the 2004-era SMiLE Brian Wilson tour, but I found out about the SMiLE way too late.

B flat above the d? hmm.

Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:11 am

Brock, I enjoyed your reports this week. Twin Falls, You could have mounted a rocket engine on your bike and followed Evils ramp and really had a film for Cycle TV!!

I have never seen a G&L ad anywhere other than on the forum. The ads I have seen are really creative and cool. I especially like the cord ad.

You now have me thinking about a Banjo bass. It would be a fun project. It would be fun to build one with a light weight solid body to look like a Banjo. Keep Cycle TV'ing!!-- Darwin

Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:32 am

darwinohm wrote:You now have me thinking about a Banjo bass. It would be a fun project. It would be fun to build one with a light weight solid body to look like a Banjo. Keep Cycle TV'ing!!-- Darwin

Rickenbacker did this back in the day, but at regular banjo pitch. Here's one:
http://www.rickbeat.com/modelslibrary/6000bantar/6000.htm

-Brock

Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:08 am

louis cyfer wrote:B flat above the d? hmm.

I meant G. And by "above" I meant in pitch. Hope that clears everything up.

Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:23 am

Brock wrote:
louis cyfer wrote:B flat above the d? hmm.

I meant G. And by "above" I meant in pitch. Hope that clears everything up.

i understand what you meant by above, but there is still no B flat in standard tuning.

Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:35 pm

Sure enough, it's just a B. Regardless, on the one instrument I have a string higher than a G, it's at C.

Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:05 pm

Brock wrote:Sure enough, it's just a B. Regardless, on the one instrument I have a string higher than a G, it's at C.
that is a pretty common fusion tuning on guitar. eadgcf. works well for playing patterns and fragmented chords, not so much for regular chords.

Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:37 pm

Brock just had the German B in mind, which is a Bflat, and the B would be H ;)

Boy, now I am reminded of Douglas Hofstadter's Gödel, Escher, Bach, where he spends whole sections on some fugues Johann Sebastian Bach composed solely consisting of the letters in his last name: B (= Bflat), A, C, H (= B)!

- Jos

Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:29 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote: Boy, now I am reminded of Douglas Hofstadter's Gödel, Escher, Bach, where he spends whole sections on some fugues Johann Sebastian Bach composed solely consisting of the letters in his last name: B (= Bflat), A, C, H (= B)!

- Jos

That's quite a book , I tried absorbing as much as I could from it. The Power of Limits was easy reading in comparison.