Lunch Report: 2012-06-19

Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:14 am

Again, up late importing data after getting a late start from staying up the prior night doing, you guessed it, data imports. Thankfully I'm winding this part of the project up.

Lunch:
Don't know. I just had a piece of Oreo pie. Oreo crust with Oreo pudding. Yum.

G&L:
Anyone read one of the George Fullerton books? Got a recommendation?

Music equipment:
Along the lines of yesterdays keyboard festival, here's my large one, a mid 1970s Baldwin 121F FunMachine. I paid $30 for it and last I looked they seem to be worth between free (you pick up) and $120 (bad day) so I did okay. Here's me trying to play something really simple and really slow. Result: Really boring (but the 121F sounds nice).
[youtube]pvgwQwEbwnM[/youtube]

The WWII generation in the US loved the organs, their kids didn't so much, and their grandkids also just aren't loving on the old 1970s home organs so much on average. I really dig this 121F, and I'd probably pony up $80 to fix it if it broke, because I'm fond of this particular model. It's extra cool, has a nice sound, and doesn't take up as much space as most organs from the era.

Until next time...

-Brock

Re: Lunch Report: 2012-06-19

Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:08 am

Gey Brock
Again, up late importing data

I can certainly empathise - Its just after 10PM here and I'm still in the office ,,,,

Anyone read one of the George Fullerton books? Nope, but will be interseted to read the recommends.

Along the lines of yesterdays keyboard festival ... The WWII generation in the US loved the organsI'm from the Baby Boomer generation and spent my teens in the 'late '60's early '70's post piano pre synthesizer era when the organ was king with the prog an hard rock bands. The keyboard player in one of my '70s bands had a Hammond and leslie, along with an assortment of electric pianos and synths (she didn't leave much room on stage for the rest of us). I'd love to have a real organ back in the band.

Didn't someone mention pip[e organs yestersday? Here's a clip of Cathie performing a minimalist composition she did for a Sax, accordian and pipe organ trio ....
[youtube]ixJEWYISYNc[/youtube]

cheers, Robbie
PS nice work on the Fun Machine, I'll have to keep an eye ot for one.

Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:19 am

Brock wrote:G&L:
Anyone read one of the George Fullerton books? Got a recommendation?

Morning Brock,

I read (and own) both of George's books: a signed copy of 'Guitar Legends, The evolution of the guitar from Fender to G&L' included when you ordered a G&L George Fullerton Signature guitar in the day and ‘Guitars from George & Leo: How Leo Fender and I Built G&L Guitars’. The former is good for an entertaining first-hand account of how Leo built up Fender, sold it to CBS, and started CLF Research which morphed into G&L. The latter is a great reference of G&L models with some history of how they got to be in existence. My suspicion is that our own Tim Page had a great hand in the latter book, both in documenting models as well as providing (great, great) pictures.

My recommendation would be that if you are more into G&L, get the latter. If on the other hand you are more interested in Leo Fender as an innovator, entrepreneur, and inventor get the former. (There is a copy on sale for a hefty price at Guitar Adoptions :shocked028:) And if you're a nut case like me, get them both! ;)

- Jos
Last edited by yowhatsshakin on Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:18 pm

I own and have read "Guitars from George And Leo -How Leo Fender and I built G&L guitars"
I have a signed copy from back when it first came out and Tim Page managed the sale and distribution of the books.
Thanks, Tim.

I have a Casio keyboard in my bass studio but it has become a holding shelf for all kinds of crap, that I should clean up.

I dig your mid 1970s Baldwin 121F Fun Machine. i think it was actually built in the spring of 1972, since the germanium transistors have a unique resonance and they were not used past '73.

Have some fun with that red SB-2. It is a true bass guitar with Leo's conceptual DNA running all through it.

Hey Brock- any news about the TVCYCLE show?

Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:24 pm

That book is tempting, but a bit of a steep price. I own a Casio too and it's occasionally used as a MIDI controller. Those germanium transistors are nice. I have a few chips and my King of Tone does too. Love that Oreo pie!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers,

Will

Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:20 pm

Hi Brock,

Dig that FunMachine.

I have a little yamaha keyboard at home. I don't use it all that much but I do like to putz around with it.
Many years ago I used to go to a pizza place in CT call Pizza Pipes and Pandemonium. It was a big hall set up with rows of cafateria style tables. The pizza was only fair but the real attraction was a huge pipe organ at one end. They would have some guy belting out old standards, kiddie songs, pop songs, etc. There was a glass wall behind the organ so you could walk around and behind it while he was playing and see the guts of the organ. It was kind of a surreal experience eating pizza and drinking beer while a bunch of kids marched around to the pipe organ music.

You know, you just don't see enough Sax, accordian and pipe organ trios around. I wonder why that is?

Jeff

Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:41 pm

I have some other keyboards, probably the most notable outside of the Baldwin 121F is a Yamaha PSR-275, which was about the cheapest touch sensitive keyboard you could get from Yamaha. It was sold through big box (Walmart/Target) type outlets. It has a ton of really cheesy sounds (helicopters, horse trots, bubbles, etc.) that can be really powerful when used incorrectly.

The PSR-175 has some over the top DJ sounds. Check out this video 50 seconds in. This thing is an obnoxious powerhouse of audio destruction!
[youtube]GM2ZBwGiuPs[/youtube]

DJ!

-Brock

Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:18 pm

Jos: Thanks for the lowdown on the Fullerton books.

Bassman: There's more TV Cycle in the hopper, as in shot and needs to be edited and uploaded. Season two of This Is Ambient has begun:
[youtube]TboWbvWdtss[/youtube]

I also did a little presentation on Passive TV late last year in Boise. Here's that:
[youtube]56EMzLoAzD8[/youtube]

We'll have some new TV Cycle here soon. Working on some improvements for the show, including a short stop motion sequence for the season two show intro. Here's a test for that:
[youtube]5WZ1bWmdZjc[/youtube]

-Brock

Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:27 pm

I have both Fullerton books. Both signed by George, himself. The most recent one is by far the most thorough & better pictures, but I love 'em both. EX: According to Dale Hyatt, George retired in 1985, before the Broadcaster models hit the stores. I got the distinct impression from the books that George was still working there & heavily involved during the Broadcaster/ASAT era. I spent some time visiting Dale Hyatt in person & over several phone calls. His comment on both books was that they both had a lot of documented facts, but they also contained George's opinions on some things. Dale said his own version would be different, as would be some of those who figured prominently in the G&L operations during its first 10 years. So, the books are wonderful for any library, because they are the closest thing we have as historical references. I say, who cares..... get 'em both & enjoy 'em. Since all the production logs disappeared between Dale's retirement in September 1991 & when the BBE management actually moved into the Fullerton address, much will remain in obscurity.

Nice keyboarding. I snagged a Yamaha 66-key keyboard 2 weeks ago - with stand & power adapter - for $20 in a garage sale. It does a lot of things, is quite loud, has about 100 voices, & is great to noodle on.

j

Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:48 am

Brock, I am a day late, a pattern I have been in for the last week.

I do not have any keyboards but did learn some accordian in the 60's Kind of wish I still had one.

I have read neither of the mentioned books but would like to. Ii have just never seen them anywhere.

Good to hear that Cycle TV is still alive!--Darwin