LR, Wednesday June 13, 2012

Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:10 am

Hi gang,

Again thanks for the participation yesterday. Today another early LR so I can head out and finish up this thing that needs to be ready (to a certain degree) next Tuesday.

Lunch
The keen observer might have noticed that I always seem to go out for lunch. That is true and has a reason. My current employer provides free lunch which is of course highly appreciated by all the young, cash-strapped, mid-20's to mid-30's employees that form the vast majority of its employees. But it also implies that you are always in your work environment; something I try to avoid. And bringing your own lunch would also encourage you to stay at your desk. So about a decade ago I decided to no longer bring a lunch and force myself to get out. And it is not that we don't talk shop ever over lunch! But a stroll and eating in a different environment tend to clear the mind of cob webs. Over the years, a lot of problems have been solved that way. In any case, it is hump day which is always a crap shoot as far as where lunch will be enjoyed. But my guess is (or is it hope?) we'll venture out to the Bell Town Pub for bangers and mash. And they do them good, with red cabbage and all.

On Monday, I left the introduction of myself to the statement that I once was a nuclear scientist and develop games now. Well, other hobbies of mine are puzzles (Sudoku, crossword, KenKen, physics, math, you name it), the history of WW II and the NASA Apollo project, playing guitar (what a surprise), and collecting and documenting G&L's especially anything and all related to the ASAT model (duh!). In light of the latter, and to show Brock another fine example of a Leo-era instrument, …

G&L related
... we present a 2nd body style SC-2 I recently got from jonc. These so-called 'student' models are no slouches at all. To me they exude a certain 'punk' vibe and they play extremely well. I compared the sound of this one with a maple fingerboard Broadcaster in my collection. The sound of the latter is rounder and warmer not withstanding that the DC-resistance of its pups is about a quarter kΩ lower than the SC-2. I have not made a detailed comparison of the tone circuitry of both but there must be some difference there. I have always thought that higher DC-resistance implies more wire = more windings = more mids. Maybe some of you can share your knowledge on this issue. Compared to the SC-1 featured yesterday, the bridge does sounds about the same and is just a kick in the pants to play on.
One of the surprises was the missing paint chips around the bridge which made both me an Jon wonder whether the bridge was ever taken off:

Non-G&L related
The guitar above shows its battle scars. Beyond the missing paint chips, there are enough scrapes and what not. But in effect, the guitar is relic'ed in what is for me the only permissible way: by playing the crap out of it, literally! What is your take on the whole 'relic' craze? And in a G&L related side note: should G&L provide nitrocellulose at an option such that new models can be purchased that way instead of only offering it on their relic'ed, i.e. Rustic, models? Or do they already?

Check in with you guys tomorrow.

- Jos

Edits: Fix aspect ratio of pictures
Last edited by yowhatsshakin on Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: LR, Wednesday June 13, 2012

Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:05 am

Jos,

You sure have some nice guitars Sir. The Sc-series has always been one of my favorite G&L runs. I dig the sc-1 and it is one of my "never put away" guitars. This sc-1 was purchased on craigslist out of Boston for $300.00. It was the dirtiest guitar I have ever received. This guitar was a mess. Beer,sweat and a lot of tarnished metal.
The guitar sat in it's case just like that for at least 5 years before I took it out to "fix" it. The guitar a joy to play. The chips and dings only make you more comfortable playing these older G&L's.

I am a huge fan of the SC-2 and 3 as well. My other go to guitar is a hard tail SC-3 that I paid $240.00. What a great guitar!! I really think that being such a bare bone, Leo made instrument , adds to the mojo of playing these.

It actually looks like Leo era G&L's are starting to get a little respect. These are good guitars and I think folks have finally figured out who made them and how many exist.

Please post more pictures of your beautiful guitars,

y2kc

Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:42 am

<br>One of the surprises was the missing paint chips around the bridge which made both me an Jon wonder whether the bridge was ever taken off:

Other than the obvious lameness of having a paint chip at the bridge, I had to giggle because I'm in the same boat. If you look closely at this picture, there's a paint chip at the top right of the bridge. This is a really, really odd coincidence (or is it?):

I like how you have the black paint on your SCs instead of the red that I got stuck with. Oh well, still a great bass.

-Brock

Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:55 pm

What is your take on the whole 'relic' craze? I've been thinking about this since a similar question in the previous couple of weeks... those Rustic models look stunning!!
this demo is good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbZGXE94m5U
it looks like the relicing is quite subtle, which I'd be happier with. I always felt that any dings , scratches etc on a guitar were fair if they came around naturally but didnt really get the heavy aged relicing thing....... but as I said, those Rustic models look stunning, so the jury's out for me at the moment!!!!! Its always the high end guitars that seem to be available like this so the quality is always good. If only I could actually afford one then maybe i'd have a different opinion :happy0007:
cheers
john

Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:46 pm

y2kc wrote:...
Please post more pictures of your beautiful guitars,

Hey Casey,

Good story and what a steal for both guitars! You'll be hard-pressed to get them for that price nowadays. I never felt of plugging it on this site, but if you want to see more pics right this minute, visit my yowhatsshakin web site. You might find some old acquaintances ;)

Reminds me I have to move it from me.com to some other hosting site ... :(

- Jos

Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:50 pm

Brock wrote:... Other than the obvious lameness of having a paint chip at the bridge, I had to giggle because I'm in the same boat. If you look closely at this picture, there's a paint chip at the top right of the bridge. This is a really, really odd coincidence (or is it?):

I like how you have the black paint on your SCs instead of the red that I got stuck with. Oh well, still a great bass.

-Brock

That is indeed a coincidence (or not)! Who would have thought! Jon was going to ask Gabe whether he ever had observed it in his research on Leo-era instruments but I haven't heard back yet.

As far as the color is concerned, I'm pretty sure Darwin would go for your 'red' instead of 'my' black ;)

- Jos

Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:02 pm

oneeyedog wrote: .... it looks like the relicing is quite subtle, which I'd be happier with. I always felt that any dings , scratches etc on a guitar were fair if they came around naturally but didnt really get the heavy aged relicing thing....... but as I said, those Rustic models look stunning, so the jury's out for me at the moment!!!!! Its always the high end guitars that seem to be available like this so the quality is always good. If only I could actually afford one then maybe i'd have a different opinion :happy0007:
cheers
john

Hey John,

I hadn't seen the vid before. It must have escape my attention somewhere. I have seen Paul demonstrate many PRS guitars for Guitar World and his style of playing is very suited for that kind of set neck guitar. I had hoped there was a little more (undistorted) twang and blues in this demo nut soit ... The only guitar of which I am fully sure it has a nitro finish incidentally is a PRS Sunburst 245 and I had to get used to the slight stickiness of that finish. But it sounds great so no complaint here. Not having seen any Rustics up close, it was nice to see how subtle the aging is, but still I rather would be able to buy a nitro finish and then play the crap out it myself.

- Jos

Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:09 pm

oneeyedog wrote:What is your take on the whole 'relic' craze? I've been thinking about this since a similar question in the previous couple of weeks... those Rustic models look stunning!!
this demo is good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbZGXE94m5U
it looks like the relicing is quite subtle, which I'd be happier with. I always felt that any dings , scratches etc on a guitar were fair if they came around naturally but didnt really get the heavy aged relicing thing....... but as I said, those Rustic models look stunning, so the jury's out for me at the moment!!!!! Its always the high end guitars that seem to be available like this so the quality is always good. If only I could actually afford one then maybe i'd have a different opinion :happy0007:
cheers
john

that guitar looks very well done as far as relicing. more of a patina than actual fake wear. it's hard to judge the sound, i can't stand paul's playing.