LR: Tuesday, June 5

Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:49 am

Lunch today - no Healthy Choice selection for this boy. I am home with one of my kids so it is going to be Mickey D's. A double quarter pounder with cheese & fries for me.

Well, I had some fun yesterday. Loved the thing about plugging a 12 string into a Marshall and Tim's take on the Dano 12 stringer being about as good as it got (they truly were). Here is the guitar that got me started on the 12 string thing - a mid-1960s EKO. EKO, of course, was the Italian company that also made Vox guitars. This one actually came from the DeLuca Brothers (who imported the EKOs and others) warehouse sale in Milwaukee back in the mid-1980s. C'mon now, admit this thing is cool looking. But me being me, it will end up losing the three lower octave strings, get the action raised a bit and then be let loose on with a bottleneck.

But lets light this candle now.

Ok, so ya'll now have a brand spankin' new name for your metal band. And now that you have ripped the sleeves off your Anvil t-shirt and strapped on your studded leather, spark spitting codpiece, it is time to get your axe. But wait a minute. Holy Cow, G&L has come forward and tells you they would love to have you endorse their guitars.

G&L will put toether whatever you want as long as your dream metal machine is made with bodies, necks, pickups, and whatever they currently are using. So for me and Witch's Spawn I am going to ask G&L to start with an SC-2 with a #4 Extra Fat C neck and Dual Fulcrom Vibrato. For power to the point I want a JB humbucker in the bridge and Duncan '59 in the neck. Color - black is beautiful baby including the headstock. And I want it buffed to such a high sheen that folks in the first three rows will be seeing spots before their eyes from the reflection of the stage lights on my guitar.

So what say ya'll - what could those great folks at G&L do to put you in metal heaven.

Whew, needing a break from the closet metal head that I am let's slow things down a tad.

When you are starting to write a song or just work one out is there a certain guitar you grab or perhaps a piano or a tuba or something. For me, and I don't know why, it more often as not is my none too cherry mid-1950s Epiphone flattop. For some cool musical trivia - this is the same kind of guitar that Jimi Hendrix used to work out the songs for the Electric Ladyland LP.

That's All Folks (for today)

Re: LR: Tuesday, June 5

Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:11 pm

I figger' someone has to answer the call. So......

Lunch today was PBJ on toasted Aunt Jemima waffles (seedless red raspberry jam, all natural Planters peanut butter), Doritos, banana, filtered water.

Metal Machine: I too want an SC-shaped body. Give me a Saddle Lock bridge, and a single Tom Anderson H3 humbucker in the bridge position. Make mine Bahama Blue with a maple neck and fretboard. Gimme a middle-of-the-road sized neck. I'm not too particular. I suck.

For songwriting, I grab my acoustic, a late '90's Guild F4CE, made in Rhode Island. She can keep secrets, as it turns out.... - ed

Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:22 pm

It's not really a metal machine, but after seeing a Robin Ranger, I'd want a Legacy body with a moderately chunky neck, an ASAT Classic bridge, S-500 MFD in the middle, and a humbucker in the neck with S-500 wiring. Might want a blender pot instead, but I'd take it either way at this point. Black body, maple neck works for me!

I used to grab my acoustic when I was working on a tune, but lately I just grab whatever electric is close and play it unplugged.

Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:40 pm

This old G&L might look like metal but it ain't, even cranked through the train, It will do some heavy overdrive but not metal. now we have the platfoarm, lets stuff some EMGs in there and off you go!

For writing I've been grabing this one lately

Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:35 pm

So for me and Witch's Spawn I am going to ask G&L to start with an SC-2 with a #4 Extra Fat C neck and Dual Fulcrom Vibrato. For power to the point I want a JB humbucker in the bridge and Duncan '59 in the neck.

Except for the oversize neck and the trem, you have the guitar shown in my avatar. SD JB in the bridge and '59 in the neck. Never played metal on it, but it does blues just fine.

Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:19 am

Few minutes to spare while waiting for a video conference so ...

12 Stringer. I love the look of that Eko and I'm sure it will make a great slider.

Metal Gear. Black Fury (Robbie is my middle not my first name - and Black Fury sounds better than Bleeding Fury) would be most comfortable with something like this ...
(property of Spot)

But if we have to have something from the current parts bins then we'd be happy enough with one of these ...

but with this body finish ...

and maybe one of those new Gagon buckers from the Fiorano

Songwritting quitar. Very much depends on what I'm working on .... horses for courses.

cheers, Robbie

Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:54 am

metal can be played on any guitar. for me it would be an asat special deluxe in honey or honeyburst, #3 neck quartersawn maple, ss medium jumbo frets, tummy and arm contour, vintage glossy finish, dfs trem upgrade, locking tuners. that is it. a lower bout contour and a neck heel contour as well since g&l is making this custom for me.

Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:32 am

I agree that an old SC-2 would be perfect. Probably the most comfortable, playable guitar G&L ever made. I've owned about a dozen of em over the years, but down to 2 that I can't do without. Great players; tone monsters. The relic very well, naturally.

For songwriting, most of the time I grab my Wechter parlor guitar, which is permanently tuned to DADGAD. That's usually where it starts, then I move it to either another acoustic or T-styled body electric with standard tunings.

Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:10 am

I also like the SC-2 or anything light. I believe that you could add effects to get the nasty tone.

I haven't tried songwriting and am a cover band guy. I'm a day late but had soup for lunch yesterday. It was a bit of a sad day as I sold my 93 Olds 98. it was sweet and the new owner drove it 150 miles to his home and loves it. I have moved forward in time Woof!-- Darwin

Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:26 am

I play an Invader for metal. Clear Red Ash and still has the JB in the bridge. It's heavy sounding enough for metal, but just a bit "strat"-ier especially in the midrange with the great tone of the swamp ash.

This guitar is PERFECT for what we do, which is fast metal in STANDARD tuning. But almost NO bands play in standard tuning anymore. Tuning down to A B or C is par for the course. Therefore if G&L wants to get into the metal market, long-scale necks are an absolute must IMO!!

Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:26 pm

westsideduck wrote:This old G&L might look like metal but it ain't, even cranked through the train, It will do some heavy overdrive but not metal. now we have the platfoarm, lets stuff some EMGs in there and off you go!

i really dislike emg's for metal. imnsho, with a moderate output conventional pup, a much better tone can be had. hot pups lose their character. people think one needs a really hot pup to drive the amps, i used to go that route, and couldn't get a great tone. now i use pretty low output pups, turn on the clean boost to drive them amp, retain much more definition and character of the guitar.