LR: Friday, June 1, 2012

Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:24 am

Happy June!!

Well, it's Friday. I've enjoyed this week & reading your responses. Maybe over the weekend some who were too short of time this week will be able to respond to a few items of interest. We all enjoy reading everyone's responses. Don't just be a lurker - chime in.

BIG LOSS: It just wouldn't be right to close out & not mention the loss this week of a giant in the world of guitar pickers. Folk musician "Doc" Watson died Tuesday @ age 89 in a hospital in his home state of North Carolina. For those who don't know much about him, he is right up there with the best of those who have influenced the art of guitar picking & set the bar for millions of guitarists around the world for over half a century. He is credited with changing folk music forever by adapting fiddle tunes to guitar at amazing tempos. He took the guitar out of the background of the band & brought it up front as a melody instrument. In the process, he became highly regarded as "the godfather of flatpickers."

Doc got his musical career started in 1953 playing electric lead in a country-western swing band. Just about the time of the intro of Leo's Telecaster. Seven of his albums won Grammys, & his 8th Grammy was a Lifetime Achievement Award in 2004.

Doc was blind from age 1, due to an infant eye infection. This didn't prevent him from learning the guitar, performing, marrying, raising children, gardening, touring, or even re-roofing his own house!! To get a flavor of his music & style: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlxc544z ... re=related

R.I.P., "Doc"

Q-1: Thoughts on "Doc"? Ever seen him perform or followed his music?

LUNCH: Gonna be soup & sandwich around here, with iced green tea.

G&L: One thing I'd never thought about until they began to appear on this website was the absolute beauty of guitars in nature. Let's close out the week with some shots of our G&L's in Nature. If you don't have one, take some soon.

'88 Leo Signature Skyhawk

'82 S-500

'08 Spalted Maple Legacy

'86 Broadcaster

'84 SC-2

'89 SC-3

Ok, hoping to see lots of G&L's in nature. Really enjoyed this week.

For next week's Lunch Reporter, I hereby pass the baton to a fave around here: ....(drumroll)...............

THE GREAT ZOMBYWOOF!!!!

Re: LR: Friday, June 1, 2012

Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:15 am

Jay,

I saw Doc and Merle twice. He dedicated and played "casey Jones" for me at one show once and I will never forget it. Together, they were magical. Merle didn't start playing guitar until he was 15 and was sitting next to his dad 5 months later. Merle was taken from us way to early. They were two of my hero's as far as guitar and family's go, RIP Doc.

BTW, whats with the action on that '86 Broadcaster?

y2kc

Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:18 am

y2kc wrote:BTW, whats with the action on that '86 Broadcaster?

Actually, that WAS my Broadcaster. I sold & delivered it to Griff in B.C. Canada not terribly long ago. He & Laurie picked us up at the cruise terminal in Vancouver & we headed for a day trip to Whistler..... taking the Broadcaster I'd brought with me aboard the cruise ship in Anchorage. We stopped many times along the way & took a number of pictures of it - by the river, near a totem pole, near waterfalls, & this one propped against an old stump. Griff has an eye for perspective & is as good with a camera as anyone I know. Mind you, I was still the owner when we took all the photos because he had not yet paid me for it. But he paid up when we got back from Whistler......... several Molson's later. It was one special Broadcaster. I had 2 at the time, just alike; so he tricked me into selling him this one. I later sold my other one; but he won't sell this one back.

I'm sure you remember some of the great pics he posted on the GbL. He actually owns 3 G&L's & one Taylor that all used to belong to me. Part of the deal is that he must share all images of them for my files. This one with the sky & trees reflecting in that black finish & the modest sprinkling of color from the green & red weeds.

Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:49 am

BIG LOSS: Q-1: Thoughts on "Doc"? Ever seen him perform or followed his music?
I listened to some of his stuff after a friend bought a Gallagher guitar. I went to the website, saw a Doc Watson model and decided I'd find out more about him! Never saw him perform, but he was quite an influence.

G&L: One thing I'd never thought about until they began to appear on this website was the absolute beauty of guitars in nature. Let's close out the week with some shots of our G&L's in Nature. If you don't have one, take some soon.
Well, I'm one of those guys who doesn't have one. I've tried a few times, but it's never worked out. You and Griff take great shots outdoors, and when it comes to live action shots, Westsideduck wins every time!

For next week's Lunch Reporter, I hereby pass the baton to a fave around here: ....(drumroll)...............

THE GREAT ZOMBYWOOF!!!!
Very cool! A 3-week run of old timers!

Great job this week, Jay. Looking forward to seeing you in November!
Brian

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:11 am

Jaystrings wrote:
y2kc wrote:BTW, whats with the action on that '86 Broadcaster?

Actually, that WAS my Broadcaster. I sold & delivered it to Griff in B.C. Canada not terribly long ago. He & Laurie picked us up at the cruise terminal in Vancouver & we headed for a day trip to Whistler..... taking the Broadcaster I'd brought with me aboard the cruise ship in Anchorage. We stopped many times along the way & took a number of pictures of it - by the river, near a totem pole, near waterfalls, & this one propped against an old stump. Griff has an eye for perspective & is as good with a camera as anyone I know. Mind you, I was still the owner when we took all the photos because he had not yet paid me for it. But he paid up when we got back from Whistler......... several Molson's later. It was one special Broadcaster. I had 2 at the time, just alike; so he tricked me into selling him this one. I later sold my other one; but he won't sell this one back.

I'm sure you remember some of the great pics he posted on the GbL. He actually owns 3 G&L's & one Taylor that all used to belong to me. Part of the deal is that he must share all images of them for my files. This one with the sky & trees reflecting in that black finish & the modest sprinkling of color from the green & red weeds.

i think he is asking about the ridiculously high action on that broadcaster. it certainly is.

i have heard doc watson's name, that's about it.

Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:27 pm

louis cyfer wrote:i think he is asking about the ridiculously high action on that broadcaster. it certainly is.

If I remember correctly (and that's a BIG "if") I think Griff set that up for slide for a while. I might be way off, though.

Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:52 pm

Docs's a great picker, just spent a hlf an hour checking out some other tube vids, liked this one too

http://youtu.be/La-QiWzwgOM

I haven't aken many outside shots lately but here are a few most of you guys have seen before

Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:22 pm

Duck, that has to be the most beautiful early SB-2 I have ever seen. Seriously. - ed

Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:50 pm

Great week Jay,
You guys have some epic photos.
Duck , what is the sleek black minimalist LP ?...she's gorgeous.

take care,
Elwood
Last edited by Elwood on Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:00 pm

Hey Elwood, that ASAT looks well-loved - and I think I know why. I could peek at your registry, but I'm guessing that's an '86 or '87 - just given the love marks. - ed

PS: Can I pay you to mail me a loaf of your sourdough? Do you take PayPal ;+) ????????

Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:27 am

westsideduck wrote:Image

I always thought this was a cool picture.

Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:30 am

zapcosongs wrote:

Ed,
I saw a greenburst Legacy like that a couple months ago, but it had a rosewood board. If it had a maple neck like yours, it would have been tough to not pull out the AmEx card on the spot. GREAT looking guitar!
Brian

Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:20 am

zapcosongs wrote:Hey Elwood, that ASAT looks well-loved - and I think I know why. I could peek at your registry, but I'm guessing that's an '86 or '87 - just given the love marks. - ed

PS: Can I pay you to mail me a loaf of your sourdough? Do you take PayPal ;+) ????????

You are correct Sir... '86 it is.
Well, loved might not describe its experiences as a coffee table before I got it.
I really like how the birch bark peeling is echoed in the ASAT 's tattered dress in those pics.

I thought bout mailing bread to my bro' in Arizona, I figure if I freeze it after it has cooled , wrapped in foil etc. it should be thawing just as arrives if I use priority mail. So it CAN be done. ...and it'd be fun...
...and delicious.

I'm trying to raise cash for a new music computer, care to place a standing order for 300+ loaves ?
:)

Elwood

Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:16 am

Good to see you up this week Jay and its been an interesting week of topics and discussions with a few of the old-boarders chiming in.

Maybe over the weekend some who were too short of time this week will be able to respond to a few items of interest. That would be me … just not enough hours in the day as we approach the end of one financial year and the beginning of the next. Sorry I couldn’t participate much - we are about to go into some MAJOR organisational reforms and a bunch of people are going to have their lives changed. How many and how much will come down to what my team and I can pull together. To say I haven’t had much free time or slept well over the past few months would be an understatement!

Song writing
There have been a few discussions on songwriting, but not many. The last I recall were during John Small’s (jwebsmall) lunch reports last October – that was interesting.

Do you write songs? – I wrote and recorded my first real song around the time I turned 15yo ( I posted that clip in my Lunch reports last June along with some other early works). I’ve continued writing ever since and have been fortunate to have had the opportunity to play in a couple of bands that played only original music. For writing and playing my natural environment is classic and contemporary rock music. However, from the purely songwriting perspective I find ballads and folk styles to be more rewarding.

Songwriting Collaborations - Your collaboration group sounds awesome. Unfortunately although I’ve been fortunate enough to count many talented and creative people among my friends over the years I haven’t really found much enjoyment or success in co-writing. Perhaps it’s a case of collaboration equals compromise and I don’t like to compromise on what I want to say.

Song writing techniques. I have long been in the habit of turning on a recorder whenever I practice but don’t usually hold onto the recordings. I don’t consciously look for material for songs but do find that much of my writing comes from things I or those around me have experienced..

Which ONE would you choose to be highly successful at – singing, playing, or songwriting? I can’t sing for nuts so it would have to be a difficult choice between playing and songwriting. Do I really have to choose?

Ever use altered tuning to practice, perform, or create with? Yeah … I don’t think Joni Mitchell knows what standard tuning is.

15 minutes face to face with an artist you admire. The aforementioned Joni Mitchell

Phunny Photos
I remember the photo you posted on Wednesday … guy and guitar, girl and amp. I love it – that one image just says so much … you could conjure up a whole story from that one image.

Buffets
I’ve generally found buffets to be disappointing as far as quality of fare goes. Not my preferred form of dining out.

Cheers and thanks for an interesting couple of weeks from you and Ches
Robbie

PS I haven;t checked your site for a while ... How are those Lucy Awards going.

Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:11 pm

I gotta tell you, elwood, this picture is awesome! Give me lots of ideas. For one, it tells me that of my 3 vintage white '86 ASATs, I'm only going to sell one, not 2. I'm keeping the most mojo'd one. That freakin' thing of yours is beautiful against that peeling bark. Thanks for posting it.
[/quote]

Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:15 pm

zapcosongs wrote:Image

That green guitar against the greens of the tree trunk moss, grass blades, & tree leaves are gorgeous. And so's the guitar. Thanks for posting that. Gives me ideas.

Jay

Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:30 pm

Thanks for the good words Jay,
I think that might have been one of those times I didn't immediately see
the parallels in form, I think my muse was one step ahead of me that day.
(always makes life a little more fun).

I agree with you on Ed's Green Legacy, what a beauty and with the touches of green
in the picture keep the eye moving subtly.
Hope you share some cool newly inspired shots with us when tey happen ( well, soon after :D )

I have 2 ASATs, been thinking about swapping one out for a classic...they aren't easy to part with.

Elwood

Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:35 pm

Thanks Jay. I have two confession: 1) The "grass" are actually the first crocus of Spring, and; 2) I sold that beauty to a fellow member a few years back in order to fund the purchase of a first-style SC-3 from Westsideduck. That really is/was one fine Legacy and I understand that she is being enjoyed very much and is now a #1 gigging axe. I will always miss that one, though....

Elwood: Are you trying to make me fat? ;+) - ed

Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:09 pm

Aussie"

GREAT HEARING FROM YOU AUSSIE

from the purely songwriting perspective I find ballads and folk styles to be more rewarding.

SAME HERE

Your collaboration group sounds awesome. Unfortunately although I’ve been fortunate enough to count many talented and creative people among my friends over the years I haven’t really found much enjoyment or success in co-writing. Perhaps it’s a case of collaboration equals compromise and I don’t like to compromise on what I want to say.

ONE RULE WE HAVE IS TO NEVER CRITICIZE ANOTHER'S WORK. WE MAKE SUGGESTIONS ABUT OTHER TEMPOS, OTHER WORD OR PHRASE CHOICES, ETC. THE WRITER IS FREE TO CHOOSE ANY, NONE, OR ALL OF THE SUGGESTIONS MADE. NO HARD FEELINGS.

15 minutes face to face with an artist you admire : The aforementioned Joni Mitchell

MY WIFE WOULD AGREE WITH YOU ON THAT ONE

How are those Lucy Awards going

PRETTY WELL - I HAVE GONE FROM AWARDING LOW ENDERS TO HIGH ENDERS

Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:02 am

zapcosongs wrote:
Elwood: Are you trying to make me fat? ;+) - ed

No worries, The only fats in my breads are the naturally occurring ones in the whole wheat
(mostly in the wheat germ) . I imagine it would be the fixins between the two slices that might
slow you down a bit.
A PB+J on my toasted sourdough is heavenly, sub fresh strawberries for the Jam and it's better than
most anything I can find in gourmet restaurants. (am I enabling yet?) :)

Maybe some guitar shaped little loaves?

Elwood
Last edited by Elwood on Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:19 am

Jaystrings wrote:
zapcosongs wrote:Image

That green guitar against the greens of the tree trunk moss, grass blades, & tree leaves are gorgeous. And so's the guitar. Thanks for posting that. Gives me ideas.

Jay

i really like the reflection of the door to the house on the guitar. shows just how well done that clearcoat is.

Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:11 am

It's a window, lol. - ed

Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:30 am

those guitars are all stunning :D love the battered ASAT.. looks well played!
thoughts on Doc Watson, I was aware of his music, though mainly through references from other artists as an influence. Certainly a big part in the evolution of modern music and guitar playing. We seem to be losing a lot of these guys lately..............

Its a holiday weekend over here........ but i'm at work! just for an hour or so. I've got a sensory room booking as I type, heres a link to what that is......... http://oneeyedognews.wordpress.com/sensory-room/ aimed mainly at special needs users, its fantastic to hear people react to music with the piano and electric drums we have in the room :D

john

Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:02 pm

I'm a few days late but sure enjoyed the pictures posted from the Friday LR. Thanks for entertaining us last week Jay. :happy0065: -- Darwin

Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:21 pm

oneeyedog wrote: I've got a sensory room booking as I type, heres a link to what that is......... http://oneeyedognews.wordpress.com/sensory-room/ aimed mainly at special needs users, its fantastic to hear people react to music with the piano and electric drums we have in the room :D

john

Thanks for posting that. Wow, a Sensory Room. Now, THAT is very cool & sure gives me ideas.

j

Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:25 pm

darwinohm wrote: Thanks for entertaining us last week Jay. :happy0065: -- Darwin

It was fun. What was disturbing was having to look at that gold sparkle THANG/ Avatar in your posts. Torture, pure torture. Makes me weak.

j

Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:36 pm

Yo, oneeyedog.

I have a kid with some sensory integration issues, and your "room" looks to me like a very cool place.

Thanks! -ed

Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:55 am

Tim Buffalo Bros wrote:
By the way - I totally dig the worn ASAT. Talk about a guitar that CALLS TO ME! If I ran into that somewhere, not only would I buy it, I would have taken it home. That's my kinda' G&L!

Regards,

Tim

Nice to hear from you Tim,
I've been wondering what has been keeping you busy.
Many healings thoughts in case it helps some.
I remember you commenting a couple years back on the ASAT , I mentioned your the first I'd call when the time comes to sell/trade...I won't forget :D

all my best,

Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:28 am

Elwood wrote:
Tim Buffalo Bros wrote:
By the way - I totally dig the worn ASAT. Talk about a guitar that CALLS TO ME! If I ran into that somewhere, not only would I buy it, I would have taken it home. That's my kinda' G&L!

Regards,

Tim

Nice to hear from you Tim,
I've been wondering what has been keeping you busy.
Many healings thoughts in case it helps some.
I remember you commenting a couple years back on the ASAT , I mentioned your the first I'd call when the time comes to sell/trade...I won't forget :D

all my best,

you'll have to let me have it ellie, i have a matching white chris clem strat. they'd be like twins. wear and all. color aged to the same hue as well.

i even have the black pg and pup covers to go with it.

and some nature shots. need to find a nice background though.

Image Image