Lunch Report for Monday, May 28, 2012

Mon May 28, 2012 7:09 am

Happy Memorial Day. I'm happy to take the baton from Ches. It has been almost 1 1/2 years since I held the pilot's seat of the LR, but good to be back. Must be about the dozenth [?] time I've been LR, & have luvved 'em all.

Brief on me: Been retired from a training/consulting career that spanned about 45 years, & picked up 2 kids & a college degree along the way during those first 10 years. The kids are doing fine on their own & have blessed me with 2 grandchildren. The only person on the planet enjoying retirement more than I am is Annie B. After 30 years of teaching second graders, dealing with parents, grading papers while trying to watch tv, & having to be at work by 7 am, she's quit cooking & gets up whatever time of day she wakes up. I'm still up about 6am. The days aren't not long enough for me. We left Atlanta in 2002 & are hiding in the woods on a lake with 1,000 miles of shoreline in South Carolina. SC has gotta be the lowest cost of living in the USA. Gas prices are $3.11 for regular today. Property taxes, sales tax, insurance among lowest in the nation. Wonderful golf courses - or so I hear.

Lunch: We're trying to make healthier choices at our house, so I'm betting on a salad with chicken or fish strips, balsamic or lo-cal dressing, & green tea. We're kinda good about watching it when we're home, but if we were on the road I'd have to go for an Arby's or Hardees sandwich. Man, I like beef any way you wanna cook it or slice it - but not today.

I am likely the senior enthusiast here, so gimme my senior LR discount! LOL! Man, I was in grammar school when Leo went from repairing those radios to developing that first Tele. All I'd seen growing up were acoustics, and no one I personally knew owned one. Certainly not me. The first electric guitar I ever saw was maybe the one in Rick Nelson's band on "Ozzie & Harriet" on my grandmother's black & white tv. We didn't own a tv...... or a phone. I got my first electric guitar fondle & GAS attack as a college freshman at Georgia Tech. It was a used Silvertone solidbody in a pawn shop near the campus. I saved lunch money until I got enough to buy it: $35. No amp. That would come a year leter.

Q-1: When/where was your first GAS attack?

Songwriting: I've participated highly & I've lurked, but I can't remember anyone having a discussion about songwriting on here. If so, I missed it. One thing that takes some of my retirement time is songwriting., I always had the interest but never the time when I was working. Now, a handful of us get together on the first Tuesday of every month & "collaborate". One is a doghouse bass player in a bluegrass band, one is a professional [full time] solo Indie singer/songwriter, one is a transplanted Brit employee of Home Depot by day & darn good pickup bassist for local bands, & the other is his wife who plays keyboards & sings wonderfully. Occasionally, we are joined by a non-musician singer who directs a gospel choir. Sometimes we're joined by a radio talk show host who plays an acoustic in a rock band on weekends. I tend to write mostly blues & pop ballads & occasionally Christian ballads for church. I keep a notebook with titles on each page & associated words or phrases that I continually update. From those, song concepts & songs will eventually emerge.

I tend to write in spurts & find that working on a song early early in the morning over coffee works best. Usually I start with lyrics - something rolling around in my head or from my notes. The hardest part for me is to come up with a melody & tempo that fits well with my lyrics. Here's where the collaboration is essential for me. I've found that noodling around on an acoustic tuned in D-A-D-G-A-D gets me started with a melody FIRST & lyrics can flow from that with far less collaboration or polishing needed. One thing our group does to increase productivity is to toss a title or phrase from our notebooks into a hat at the end of a meeting, draw one, & bring a song with that title or phrase in it to the next meeting, That has worked wonders. The Indie guy just completed his 4th cd & over half his songs on it were created this way & polished by our group.

Q-2: Do you write songs? What kind? What works or doesn't work for you?

G&L: I hated that I gave up an old roadworn SC-3 a few years ago. Hardly any paint left on it, worn but playable frets, & the previous owner had sanded the neck bare. Time, sweat, & beer had mojo'd the body wood in several places & the neck almost completely. But one of the best tones ever. Loved noodling with that guitar..... loved it. Great inspiration for songwriting. I wanted an amp so badly that the seller wouldn't let it go unless I made the SC-3 part of the deal. It's still his fave gigging axe every weekend. I've begged for it back, but he sez "NEVER".

Q-3: Favorite noodling G&L ever?

Humor: Over the years, there have been some darn funny pics show up on this website. Each day I'm gonna post one that I kept & hope you will add one of yours from any source.

See ya tomorrow!!

Jaystrings

Re: Lunch Report for Monday, May 28, 2012

Mon May 28, 2012 9:50 am

Hey Jay,

Enjoying my day off here too. It's been quite hectic at work but in a good, stimulating, joyous kind of way. That's a good thing. I would hate to be stressed out.

Jaystrings wrote:Q-1: When/where was your first GAS attack?

My first GAS was at age 14 when I scored my first musical instrument catalog with mostly Fender equipment. Loved everything in it and was dreaming to own it all. In the interim, the brand has changed (but not the association with Mr Fender) and it took a bit longer than in my dreams. But heck, can't complain.

Jaystrings wrote:Q-2: Do you write songs? What kind? What works or doesn't work for you?

Wow! I wrote songs but haven't for at least 30 years. Guess that's what happens when you're no longer in a band. The songs were in the 'Classic Rock' vain: rockers, ballads, with some sprinkles of progressive stuff mixed in. Wasn't shy to use diminished, augmented, and what not chords. Most of these songs were saved for 'posterity' on cassettes and I wish I still had these ancient forms of sound recording. But they got lost in the moves from one country to the other. And I wouldn't have the equipment right now to play them back either. How things change in such a short time!

Jaystrings wrote:Q-3: Favorite noodling G&L ever?

My ebony board Broadcaster which has beautiful tone. But it is currently getting some stiff competition of my recently acquired SC-1. That thing is just so much fun to play. I also figured out why it is called a 'student' model: it teaches you what tone and volume controls are and what you can do with it ;)

- Jos

Mon May 28, 2012 10:18 am

Hsappy memorial day !!

My first gas attack came in the late 90's after getting my first G&L, before that I had one acoustic and one electric and after that, well you know how it goes.................................

Songwritting, I never have been and never will be a great guitar player, the guitar was and still is a tool for writing. I've been writing songs since I was 14 and playing Coffe House gigs. The best songs are written during an emotional time weather, highs or low points in life.

My fav noodler was that yellow SC-3 I got from you and I sold it last year, what a mistake, now I need another SC-3

Here are some Red White and Blue pics for the holiday.

Mon May 28, 2012 10:20 am

Jay:

Great picture at the end of your post.

My first gas came from a Ted Nuggent album believe it or not. The back of the album shows him and his band on a small stage rockin out. I think it might be his first album as a solo act. It was gas not for a particular guitar but for a place, a life style. I really wanted to be in that place. It inspired me to practice. My first gas for a guitar was for a Les Paul Black Beauty. I think I saw Joe Perry of Areosmith with one. There is still a special place in my heart for the black beauty. As a kid I hated T shaped guitars. Now I love them. No belly cut and no arch top. Just a simple t-cut from a plank of wood. I prefer ash, medium weight ( around 8lbs). It's harder to tame the tone than an alder body equivelent but when you do, you can get nice sparkle and plenty of spank.

I have written songs in the past for a couple different original bands, as well as short stories as a hobby. But now I stay away from originals. The creative process makes me way too moody and with the responsibilities I have now I don't want to go to that "creative place". I'd be a poor husband and father if I were writting originals.

A quick comment on the holiday. My dad was a radioman on a destroyer back in WWII. Back then you not only operated the radio you repaired it, from the power supply to the antenna. He's gone now and I wish I would have learned his skills. I'd be building and experimenting with my own tube amps. But instead I'm just a dufus. I know that E=IR and that a charged capacitor can kill. I know how to operate a soldering iron. But that about all the extent of my electronics knowledge.

Nice start to the week.

Mon May 28, 2012 12:54 pm

you guys are lucky. as usual, i don't have a day off. but i did finish early, as the gym closed at noon. so only a half day.
my first gas attack was when i was 13 (1983) and there was the first ever officially imported electric at the local department store in hungary. it was a japanese squier sq. they got 2 of them in the whole country, a black one and a white one. i borrowed money from my uncle and bought the black one. i went to work full time as a janitor at 14 for a whole year to pay for it. it cost a year's salary back then (300 dollars) as i made around 30 dollars a month working 40 hours a week. it traveled with me all over the world, survived the refugee camp, my aunt had to smuggle it out of hungary for me. still own it, and it is a great guitar.

song writing is an interesting subject. to me a song is the music. lyrics are not a song. that is a poem. the progression, the melody, the structure, the arrangement, that is the song. i don't listen to lyrics much, growing up not understanding what my favorite bands were saying, i focused on the music, and i still do that. i just tune the lyrics out. if the music is good, i like it. the only lyrics i listen to is rap. too $hort, mac 10, willy d, etc.
when inspiration hits, it is easy to write songs. but what most people miss imnsho is the craft of song writing. when one gets stuck with a song, that is when the craft part comes in. all the pro song writers are good at the craft part, which is knowing music, understanding scales, harmony, structure, scoring, arranging, modulations, what makes an effective melody, so on. knowing those things is what turns a good song idea into a great song. just like great composers in the past, having the skills is a very important part. unfortunately most amateur song writers have no, or very limited understanding of most of those elements, and the result is either very incomplete, or very similar songs.

my favorite g&l to noodle on is the only one i have. but it is my main noodling guitar now along with my custom tele i made myself. i am hoping to add some more soon. an asat special deluxe with ss frets, dfs vibrato, tummy and forearm cut is what i really want, and of course none exist like that, so i can't buy it used.
Last edited by louis cyfer on Mon May 28, 2012 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 28, 2012 1:08 pm

Hi, hope your having a good holiday over there...........
q1... 1st GAS, probably year 2000, I was a house noodler and my mate asked me to stand in at a gig he was playing as the band was struggling for players... I'd never gigged before but LOVED the experience :D my old Yamaha SG200 wouldn't stay in une and after i'd joined that band I wanted a proper guitar.... A STRATOCASTER.......... my wife bought me one that Christmas :happy0065:

q2.. songwriting, yeah i write for our band, Americana/Alt.Country influenced (yeah I know, I'm Scottish!!!) normally a phrase or line comes to me and I build around that. Normally work something out around a G chord
and then transpose to suit. Hopefully going to record some demos soon. We've just got a new singer on board so just trying to build up the set. Strange but I have to get one song out before I can focus on another... may have a few ideas on the go but once one is finished then I can move on.

q3. fav noodling G&L......... well as I only own 2 the recent one is getting the most attention at present , its a Tribute Classic
john

Mon May 28, 2012 1:34 pm

oneeyedog wrote:Hi, hope your having a good holiday over there...........
q1... 1st GAS, probably year 2000, I was a house noodler and my mate asked me to stand in at a gig he was playing as the band was struggling for players... I'd never gigged before but LOVED the experience :D my old Yamaha SG200 wouldn't stay in une and after i'd joined that band I wanted a proper guitar.... A STRATOCASTER.......... my wife bought me one that Christmas :happy0065:

q2.. songwriting, yeah i write for our band, Americana/Alt.Country influenced (yeah I know, I'm Scottish!!!) normally a phrase or line comes to me and I build around that. Normally work something out around a G chord
and then transpose to suit. Hopefully going to record some demos soon. We've just got a new singer on board so just trying to build up the set. Strange but I have to get one song out before I can focus on another... may have a few ideas on the go but once one is finished then I can move on.

q3. fav noodling G&L......... well as I only own 2 the recent one is getting the most attention at present , its a Tribute Classic
john

that is really cool, didn't know scotland was so modern and open. you can have a wife, and a male mate and they are both ok with it? what is their relationship to each other?

Mon May 28, 2012 1:38 pm

Thanks for picking up the gauntlet, Jay. Looking forward to a great week.

I think my first GAS attack was back around 2000. As you know, I took a good 25 year hiatus from music, so this is like a second childhood for me. I saw a flame maple topped Legacy in tobacco burst that was KILLER. I wanted it real bad but never pulled the trigger. Been buying and selling gear like crazy ever since, but I'm finally winding down and have settled on a few Thornton's. I'm content . . . or at least I seem to be.

I took a stab at songwriting when I was in a band in high school. Never really got far with it and didn't get enough support/encouragement from anyone to try to get off zero, so to speak. Now, I don't have much to say, other than "where's my beer", and I think Toby Keith already took that line.

Nice start!
Brian

Mon May 28, 2012 1:41 pm

Ches wrote:Thanks for picking up the gauntlet, Jay. Looking forward to a great week.

I think my first GAS attack was back around 2000. As you know, I took a good 25 year hiatus from music, so this is like a second childhood for me. I saw a flame maple topped Legacy in tobacco burst that was KILLER. I wanted it real bad but never pulled the trigger. Been buying and selling gear like crazy ever since, but I'm finally winding down and have settled on a few Thornton's. I'm content . . . or at least I seem to be.

I took a stab at songwriting when I was in a band in high school. Never really got far with it and didn't get enough support/encouragement from anyone to try to get off zero, so to speak. Now, I don't have much to say, other than "where's my beer", and I think Toby Keith already took that line.

Nice start!
Brian

you can always write about a blue plastic cup :mrgreen:

Mon May 28, 2012 2:21 pm

Jaystrings

Q1: Maybe in 1986. Bought a Peavy solid state amp and Peavy guitar.

Q2: No, but working on music composition from this guy. http://www.georgebellas.com/ He does online Skype lessons. I have learned quite a lot. Today I was doodling over the Suspension, and it dawned on me. What if, you had a Suspension where the resolution made a tritone? I am assuming the resolution to sound good (subjective) should be the octave/uni or 5th/4th or even the 6th/3rd being all good, but what about those other tones? 2nds, 7ths and Tri. It is music, I guess anything can go, but if you had a tritone resolution, would it still be called a Suspension. Or is there another name for it?

Q3: I don't like messing with the guitar. I am horrible at it and usually make things worse.

Mon May 28, 2012 2:35 pm

Jaystrings wrote:

The first serious bout was 10+ years back. One day I realized I could buy guitars on ebay :idea:
and that was that. An F-100 , then another...an ASAT, a couple basses...it was easier to find good deals
back then when Ebay was younger.

I've been playing my Franken-100 with 4 SC pickups,
serial # G000893, ...it's got IT 8-)

I haven't saved any G&L humor..but here's post that from the past I enjoy,
thanks to Tim Page.

http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/gldp/messages/4201.php3

I look forward to what else you have in store this week

Mon May 28, 2012 2:50 pm

that is really cool, didn't know scotland was so modern and open. you can have a wife, and a male mate and they are both ok with it? what is their relationship to each other?

:happy0007: that darn lanuage barrier!!!!!!!! :lol:

Mon May 28, 2012 3:18 pm

meowmix wrote:

Jaystrings

Q1: Maybe in 1986. Bought a Peavy solid state amp and Peavy guitar.

Q2: No, but working on music composition from this guy. http://www.georgebellas.com/ He does online Skype lessons. I have learned quite a lot. Today I was doodling over the Suspension, and it dawned on me. What if, you had a Suspension where the resolution made a tritone? I am assuming the resolution to sound good (subjective) should be the octave/uni or 5th/4th or even the 6th/3rd being all good, but what about those other tones? 2nds, 7ths and Tri. It is music, I guess anything can go, but if you had a tritone resolution, would it still be called a Suspension. Or is there another name for it?

Q3: I don't like messing with the guitar. I am horrible at it and usually make things worse.

you may want to look at what a suspension is again. a consonant chord tone is held over the chord change, and resolves down to a consonant chord tone in the chord it is suspended over. it is usually done with triads, so 2nd 7th is not really an issue, also it doesn't really resolve to an interval per say, because there is a triad involved, not just an interval. also remember the resolution is a step down in a suspension, and to resolve to a 2nd or 7th would mean coming from a consonant chord tone. extended chords actually came from suspensions, as the held over tones usually end up being the 7th the 9th the 13th, and as music evolved, they stopped resolving them which lead to the extended chords.
that said, if going from a c major to a b diminished, the held over g resolving to the f would be the diminished 5th, but you would not really hear the resolution, as you wouldn't really resolve to the vii chord, but the other way around. this is where composing strictly by theory becomes a problem and ultimately the ears decide what works. remember the rules came later to explain what people did in compositions, not the other way around.

Mon May 28, 2012 3:20 pm

oneeyedog wrote:

:happy0007: that darn lanuage barrier!!!!!!!! :lol:

they don't speak the same language? do they even know what's going on?

Mon May 28, 2012 4:33 pm

louis cyfer wrote:you may want to look at what a suspension is again. a consonant chord tone is held over the chord change, and resolves down to a consonant chord tone in the chord it is suspended over. it is usually done with triads, so 2nd 7th is not really an issue, also it doesn't really resolve to an interval per say, because there is a triad involved, not just an interval. also remember the resolution is a step down in a suspension, and to resolve to a 2nd or 7th would mean coming from a consonant chord tone. extended chords actually came from suspensions, as the held over tones usually end up being the 7th the 9th the 13th, and as music evolved, they stopped resolving them which lead to the extended chords.
that said, if going from a c major to a b diminished, the held over g resolving to the f would be the diminished 5th, but you would not really hear the resolution, as you wouldn't really resolve to the vii chord, but the other way around. this is where composing strictly by theory becomes a problem and ultimately the ears decide what works. remember the rules came later to explain what people did in compositions, not the other way around.

I understand what a suspension is in their context. Usually a prepreation, suspension then resolution. Starting simple here, just 2 voices, which means no chord or triad. I wrote down all the possibilities then the progression. When the suspension went from poor (7ths, 2nds, Tritone) to good (uni, 5ths, 4ths, 6ths, 3rds) it is considered good. At least to Hindemith. When it goes from good to poor, I'm thinking it is no longer a suspension, as in the way the classical definition of it is.

It is an interesting topic. More reading on the subject is required.

Mon May 28, 2012 5:17 pm

Good to see you back Jay, its been a while.

Are you more senior than I? It is not easy to find guys our age who are having so much fun. I kept telling myself that yesterday when I was loading after the gig in Brainerd.

Do I have GAS????

I have not written songs and admire good song writers. The real question is, what is a good song? In the music industry it is what makes the mast money. I am a cover player and that is what is what is in demand for guys like me.

I can honestly say I do not have a favorite noodler. The most favorite noodlers are the lightest ones. Most mornings I take a different guitar from the wall and marvel at how sweet it is. I then remind Ginny how sweet that one is and I usually get the same look. I did not play this morning. Three days of gigs are tough on this old dude.-- Darwin

Mon May 28, 2012 7:25 pm

darwinohm wrote:

It is not easy to find guys our age who are having so much fun.

I have not written songs and admire good song writers. The real question is, what is a good song?

The most favorite noodlers are the lightest ones.

I've never had so much fun in my life. It's hard to sleep; can't wait to start the day & hate to go to bed. Senior discounts ensure even MORE fun.,

I guess a good song is like a good guitar, good car, good food: it's personal choice

Come to think of it, my fave noodlers are lighter. SC-3 electric & a parlor acoustic

Mon May 28, 2012 7:37 pm

meowmix wrote:
louis cyfer wrote:you may want to look at what a suspension is again. a consonant chord tone is held over the chord change, and resolves down to a consonant chord tone in the chord it is suspended over. it is usually done with triads, so 2nd 7th is not really an issue, also it doesn't really resolve to an interval per say, because there is a triad involved, not just an interval. also remember the resolution is a step down in a suspension, and to resolve to a 2nd or 7th would mean coming from a consonant chord tone. extended chords actually came from suspensions, as the held over tones usually end up being the 7th the 9th the 13th, and as music evolved, they stopped resolving them which lead to the extended chords.

I understand what a suspension is in their context. Usually a prepreation, suspension then resolution. Starting simple here, just 2 voices, which means no chord or triad. I wrote down all the possibilities then the progression. When the suspension went from poor (7ths, 2nds, Tritone) to good (uni, 5ths, 4ths, 6ths, 3rds) it is considered good. At least to Hindemith. When it goes from good to poor, I'm thinking it is no longer a suspension, as in the way the classical definition of it is.

It is an interesting topic. More reading on the subject is required.
2 voices is just counterpoint, a little different, but remember they are just preparing you for a harmonic context, suspension applies to harmony. are you at the 4 part writing yet? the classical definition is what i said, preparation, suspension (previous chord tone held over the chord change), resolution (step down, to a chord tone of the current chord).

Mon May 28, 2012 7:55 pm

Hi Jay, thanks for stepping up this week.

First GAS Attack: I can't recall my first GAS attack, but these days any guitar that is sonic blue or seafoam green will set it off. Especially with a maple fingerboard. Paradoxically none of my guitars are lookers. I buy them because of how well they play.

Songwriting: I've been writing songs for about 30 years now. Some of them even meet my own high standards. What I've learned in that time is that songwriting is a real craft and writing the song is only about 25-50% of the effort. The remainder is all about coming up with a suitable, interesting arrangement and a coherent, inspiring performance. I try not to analyse it too much, but I definitely know what I like and don't like. Revisiting a song after 1-3 months definitely helps with making a subjective judgement, and usually results in me throwing most stuff away. I have no proven formula for coaxing a song into being - a different guitar tuning, a different instrument, an overheard phrase or comment, or a day off - all these things can result in a good song. I have about 20 songs that I'm not ashamed of that I'm currently finishing off to load onto SoundCloud. 3 down, 17 to go.

Favourite Noodling G&L: My favourite noodling G&L is my Tribby ASAT semi-hollow. It is light, plays perfectly, and the S/H means that it is acoustically quite loud so I don't need to plug in.

Mon May 28, 2012 8:03 pm

My first GAS attack was back in the early 1960s when I heard The Shadows, The Ventures, The Brothers Four, and Elvis on the radio. I knew I wanted a guitar, but since neither my parents nor anyone I know knew what to look for in a guitar I ended up with one which was virtually unplayable. But I managed to learn anyway;and I'm still at it 50 years later.

When I first try to create my own music I had a hard time writing lyrics so I ended up creating instrumentals. I've written a few that I have recorded on a digital 8 track, all of which people on this board have heard. Since I started playing in a hobby band I have stopped writing music and recording on my own, so I still don't have a song of my own with words.

I only have 2 G&L guitars, and they both play very well. I've been playing the SC-3 much more only because some of the songs we play in the hobby band needed a whammy.

Kit

Mon May 28, 2012 8:47 pm

One of the songs that started major gas was "Heart full of Soul" by the yardbirds. I really loved that guitar tone. I was 10 or 11 when I first heard it. I bought a Takamine Explorer copy in 1986 that I really loved. My first high end guitar I bought was my Gibson Advanced Jumbo. I have had it for about four years now. If I had to give up all my guitars except one the AJ is the one I would keep, you can't go wrong with a nice acoustic.

I own two G&L's and I rotate them on the stand in my den so they get equal noodling time. I think the SC-2 gets a very slight edge ( I mean miniscule ) for favored G&L.

I have wrote a lot of poems in the past but have never tried to write a song. My bandmates are very competent song writers. Maybe I'll have a go at it if the mood strikes me.

I think it's awesome that you still play and enjoy making music and playing guitar. Always keep playing no matter what. I love it !

Tue May 29, 2012 6:00 am

louis cyfer wrote:2 voices is just counterpoint, a little different, but remember they are just preparing you for a harmonic context, suspension applies to harmony. are you at the 4 part writing yet? the classical definition is what i said, preparation, suspension (previous chord tone held over the chord change), resolution (step down, to a chord tone of the current chord).

The question came from reading Paul Hindemith http://www.amazon.com/The-Craft-Musical ... 292&sr=8-5
Paul was teaching melody and started with the most basic settings. From what I gather, Suspension is for both harmonic and melodic.
As I read more, Paul explains more and asks the student to do exercises with the newly taught material.
At page 70, Paul does not want the student to use the Suspension that goes from good to bad. That might change later in the book.

Usually George Bellas gives enough homework to keep me busy throughout the week, but there was a break in the action and I can divulge into Hindemith which I find absolutely fascinating.
The reason why I picked George as the teacher because he knows Music Composition, and he does online Skype lessons. No driving to the teachers studio.
I've been doing 4 part writing since Oct last year, there is plenty of harmony teaching to go.

Tue May 29, 2012 6:28 am

meowmix wrote:
louis cyfer wrote:2 voices is just counterpoint, a little different, but remember they are just preparing you for a harmonic context, suspension applies to harmony. are you at the 4 part writing yet? the classical definition is what i said, preparation, suspension (previous chord tone held over the chord change), resolution (step down, to a chord tone of the current chord).

The question came from reading Paul Hindemith http://www.amazon.com/The-Craft-Musical ... 292&sr=8-5
Paul was teaching melody and started with the most basic settings. From what I gather, Suspension is for both harmonic and melodic.
As I read more, Paul explains more and asks the student to do exercises with the newly taught material.
At page 70, Paul does not want the student to use the Suspension that goes from good to bad. That might change later in the book.

Usually George Bellas gives enough homework to keep me busy throughout the week, but there was a break in the action and I can divulge into Hindemith which I find absolutely fascinating.
The reason why I picked George as the teacher because he knows Music Composition, and he does online Skype lessons. No driving to the teachers studio.
I've been doing 4 part writing since Oct last year, there is plenty of harmony teaching to go.

suspension is a harmonic tool, it allows the melody to use non chord tones (one of many such tools like Passing Tone, Neighboring Tone, Neighbor group or Changing Tones, Appoggiatura, Escape Tone, Suspension, Retardation, Anticipation, Pedal Point, some of which function melodically, others harmonically, meaning creating higher harmonic tension and release), suspension is primarily the harmonic kind. again, understanding what suspension means, which is to go from a higher harmonic tension, and to resolve to a lower harmonic tension, it is impossible to go from "good to bad". you are still very early on, so it's understandable that you wouldn't have a complete understanding of it.

Tue May 29, 2012 7:11 am

louis cyfer wrote:
suspension is a harmonic tool, it allows the melody to use non chord tones (one of many such tools like Passing Tone, Neighboring Tone, Neighbor group or Changing Tones, Appoggiatura, Escape Tone, Suspension, Retardation, Anticipation, Pedal Point, some of which function melodically, others harmonically, meaning creating higher harmonic tension and release), suspension is primarily the harmonic kind. again, understanding what suspension means, which is to go from a higher harmonic tension, and to resolve to a lower harmonic tension, it is impossible to go from "good to bad". you are still very early on, so it's understandable that you wouldn't have a complete understanding of it.

Yes, I understand what you are saying. But this is Hindemith I am reading. Neighbor tone is W for Wechselton, Passing tone is D for Durchgang, Suspension is V for Vorhalt...etc. :lol:
Back to my original question. The resolution to a Tritone should not be called a Suspension in the classical definition as far as I know.

Tue May 29, 2012 8:55 am

meowmix wrote:
louis cyfer wrote:

Yes, I understand what you are saying. But this is Hindemith I am reading. Neighbor tone is W for Wechselton, Passing tone is D for Durchgang, Suspension is V for Vorhalt...etc. :lol:
Back to my original question. The resolution to a Tritone should not be called a Suspension in the classical definition as far as I know.

tritone is the most harmonically tense interval, do you can not resolve to it. resolution means decreasing tension. remember to play all your homework you do. things can work on paper, but not when played.

Tue May 29, 2012 5:09 pm

I have my own "theory" on the most harmonically intense interval. Sort of between the lightening and the thunder (props to Bob Seger).

But alas, this too shall pass.... - ed

(great discussion today. I regret not tuning in earlier...) Great start, Jay! - ed