Re: LUNCH REPORT for Friday, May 25, 2012

Sun May 27, 2012 2:10 pm

LOVE the "Buster" story, Ches. What goes around comes around indeed! - ed

btw, we have 5 rescue animals as part of our household: An American Eskimo dog (from the very worst part of DC), two turtles that we'll be releasing into the wild in a couple of weeks, and two Siberian hamsters. We also do what we can to help support a local "no-kill" shelter.

Oh, and I too appreciate the fact that folks can discuss things here, disagree or agree and remain respectful and friendly. I suppose this is not how things are universally in discussion groups. This should not be taken for granted. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Sun May 27, 2012 2:46 pm

Ches wrote:What other hobbies do you have besides guitars and music?

Not many these days, but... I've been a decent surfer, a competitive long distance runner (still a maintenance runner), juggler (good enough to street perform and get people to give me money), and actor (I'm a very good actor). The "career" pulled me away from these endeavors because of time constraints, but that's all about to change. :-)

Ches wrote:Are you a collector, professional musician, semi-pro, or home hobbyist?

Semi-pro, but I'm about to ramp that up to semi-pro+. ;^)

Ches wrote:Got any old pictures of you gigging or playing? Post ‘em up so we can get a look at your mug when you were a kid!

Yours truly in 1979.

Ches wrote:So, what’s your ride of choice? Got a dream car in your sights? Were you into muscle cars as a kid? Do you long for a purple ’71 Challenger?

I drive a 2007 Honda Element. Love it! 5 years ZERO problems and it the bomb for hauling band gear. Next vehicle will be a 2011 or 2012 Mercedes Sprinter van that I'm going to have converted into and "wee home". Stay tuned.

Nice job Ches! Too bad more G&LDP "old schoolers" didn't chime in.

--GDub

Sun May 27, 2012 3:27 pm

zapcosongs wrote:LOVE the "Buster" story, Ches. What goes around comes around indeed! - ed

btw, we have 5 rescue animals as part of our household: An American Eskimo dog (from the very worst part of DC), two turtles that we'll be releasing into the wild in a couple of weeks, and two Siberian hamsters. We also do what we can to help support a local "no-kill" shelter.

Oh, and I too appreciate the fact that folks can discuss things here, disagree or agree and remain respectful and friendly. I suppose this is not how things are universally in discussion groups. This should not be taken for granted. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

The sad part about the Buster story is that the Humane Society people didn't want me doing what I was doing. I suppose they wanted their cut, but in my not so subtle way, I reminded them our purpose was to SAVE animals by finding them good homes, and that's exactly what I was doing.

Siberian hamsters . . . the "alpha dog" of hamsters!
Last edited by Ches on Sun May 27, 2012 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 27, 2012 3:40 pm

GDub wrote:
Ches wrote:What other hobbies do you have besides guitars and music?

Not many these days, but... I've been a decent surfer, a competitive long distance runner (still a maintenance runner), juggler (good enough to street perform and get people to give me money), and actor (I'm a very good actor). The "career" pulled me away from these endeavors because of time constraints, but that's all about to change. :-)

Ches wrote:Are you a collector, professional musician, semi-pro, or home hobbyist?

Semi-pro, but I'm about to ramp that up to semi-pro+. ;^)

Ches wrote:Got any old pictures of you gigging or playing? Post ‘em up so we can get a look at your mug when you were a kid!

Yours truly in 1979.

Ches wrote:So, what’s your ride of choice? Got a dream car in your sights? Were you into muscle cars as a kid? Do you long for a purple ’71 Challenger?

I drive a 2007 Honda Element. Love it! 5 years ZERO problems and it the bomb for hauling band gear. Next vehicle will be a 2011 or 2012 Mercedes Sprinter van that I'm going to have converted into and "wee home". Stay tuned.

Nice job Ches! Too bad more G&LDP "old schoolers" didn't chime in.

--GDub

Thanks for joining in, Gary. I was glad to see you were still hanging around!

I remember that picture from a few years ago. Great picture, and kind of a snapshot of the times.

The Element is a great gigmobile. A friend has one and it holds a TON of gear.

Thanks again, and keep us updated on your latest adventure!
Brian

Sun May 27, 2012 8:00 pm

Ches wrote:
zapcosongs wrote:LOVE the "Buster" story, Ches. What goes around comes around indeed! - ed

The sad part about the Buster story is that the Humane Society people didn't want me doing what I was doing. I suppose they wanted their cut, but in my not so subtle way, I reminded them our purpose was to SAVE animals by finding them good homes, and that's exactly what I was doing.

Siberian hamsters . . . the "alpha dog" of hamsters!

if more people were responsible about their pets when they can't keep them, i would have very little to do. it is a cool story with buster. you understand why i will not let any cat or dog go to the humane society (or any other shelter really). they only have 5 days before they get killed, and even if they are chipped or tagged, they will not call and notify the owner. it is great that you stood up to them.

Mon May 28, 2012 5:02 pm

Ches, Came in late last night from a 3 day gig schedule and am finally checking in. I read through this whole LR and have to admit that I have lost track of the original questions. I enjoyed the reports this week and thanks for the entertainment. Great week!-- Darwin

Tue May 29, 2012 11:20 pm

bassman wrote:What other hobbies do you have besides guitars and music?

Bicycles and video production. Here's the two combined.
[youtube]7MmTv46xH70[/youtube]

Are you a collector, professional musician, semi-pro, or home hobbyist?

I'm a proud hobbyist. I get to experiment and do whatever the hell I want. It's great. No rehashing the past. No worries about if something will be commercial, or alienate my fan base.

Here's the description for "Natural", which I recorded earlier in the year. Experimental is fun:
"Improvised and recorded within a 6 hour period in 2012, beginning on February 28th and ending on February 29th. Tracks 1-7 consist of the just the note in the song title, played various ways, at different octaves, on different instruments, at various rhythms. Tracks 8-10 are two of the first six tracks paired up with the earlier letter song on the left channel and the later letter song on the right channel."

http://f.rpmchallenge.com

For instance, Here I am playing my G$L Lynx bass, which is one of the few that has a maple fingerboard:

I had no idea such a thing existed. Cool! Looks like my '84 SB-2, other than the headstock decal and the body contours.

Wed May 30, 2012 3:59 am

Brock wrote:
bassman wrote:What other hobbies do you have besides guitars and music?

Bicycles and video production. Here's the two combined.

Hey Brock. Still doing the rickshaw thing? As I recall, you dressed them up pretty nice!
Ches

Thu May 31, 2012 9:25 pm

Ches wrote:Hey Brock. Still doing the rickshaw thing? As I recall, you dressed them up pretty nice!
Ches

Well, my wife dressed up the rickshaw pretty nice. I've since gained a pedicab (expensive, high performance rickshaw) and I still haul friends and family around on it. I haven't updated the blog recently, but it's still out there:
http://www.rickshawseason.com

-Brock

Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:22 am

Great to see you here, Brock!

How's the Traveler project. I still want a copy of that. Is it available? - ed

Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:31 am

Ed,

Traveler is on the slow grind but still moving forward. Latest update here:
http://www.mattlongmusic.com

On that end, I was the guest and musical guest on a Boise cable access show recently. Video here:
[youtube]BJHOGrdS2z4[/youtube]

Is that a nail?

-Brock