LUNCH REPORT for Thursday, May 24, 2012

Thu May 24, 2012 4:26 am

Thanks again for all the great responses yesterday. I really do appreciate everyone’s involvement! Sorry for the short and sweet replies last night, but I was whooped! I think we could keep that amp conversation going for a while, and quite frankly, I've got a little amp GAS going.

We’ve got some pretty cool amps in this group. One of the nice things about getting together with a bunch of guys from the GbL is that we can try out all this great gear. Playing through an amp in a band situation is way better than noodling around in a store while some kid sitting next to you checks out the max distortion settings on a Line 6!

We have a volunteer for next week’s Lunch Reporter! We’ll polish off May with another old timer, and my good friend, JAYSTRINGS! Jay and I met at the first Michigan Jam. He decided to fly up and needed someone to pick him up at the airport and drive him around. He drew the short straw and was stuck in the co-pilot seat with me all weekend! Jay has a fantastic collection of gear, and has really gotten involved in music in general. Looking forward to his posts!

LUNCH:
I’ve got lunch with a prospective customer today. I have no idea where we’re going, but I’ll find something that’s relatively low cal. Most people suggest a salad, but did you know most restaurant salads are not even close to being low cal? They’re loaded with cheese, and the salad dressing can be a real killer, plus the breadsticks that usually come with are definitely not helping. You’re usually better off with a small (6 oz) steak and veggies.

Enough happy talk . . .

G&L TOPIC:
To mod, or not to mod . . . that is the question!

I’m kind of a tinkerer at heart. I look at a Legacy or ASAT and think, “that pickguard comes off for a reason, so get in there and change something”! I liked the expander switch on the S-500 so much that I usually added one to every Legacy or Strat I owned. Couldn’t help myself . . . had to do it. I had a wiring diagram for adding an expander but can’t put my finger on it. I’ll try to find it before the end of the week. It was pretty simple.

I’ve become a big fan of a blender knob on a 3-pickup guitar. Kind of an adjustable expander knob. I like being able to dial in how much neck or bridge pickup is being added. Lots of great tones in there.

Back on the old board, there was a discussion of modding an ASAT to have a PTB system without adding a third knob. I think Ken Baker came up with how to wire up a dual concentric 500k pot with a resistor, and a reverse taper 1 meg pot to get the PTB system and a volume knob. Pretty cool. I never tried it and I’m not sure if anyone else did, but it was a great idea. Ken had some great ideas and was a valuable resource when it came to wiring, among other things.

I added a 4-way to my ASSH. Gabe had a diagram on how to wire a 4-way that made more sense, but I can’t remember if I did mine that way or not! In any case, I like the added position you get from a 4-way, and it’s easily reversible.

Any other simple mods you’ve made that improved your G&L? Earlier this week, Louis mentioned how he likes to totally rewire his guitars. It’s great when you know what you like!

NON-G&L TOPIC:
Custom straps. High end cables. Strings wound by Oompa Loompa’s. What’s your accessory vice?

I never could get myself to buy into the claim that certain cables were truly better than others, especially if they were made with the same gauge and type of cable and the same connectors. Other guys swear they hear a difference. It’s all good. Whatever gets us to play is ok by me.

I switched the bridge and pins on my acoustic because GDub wrote a convincing bit about how much better his Larrivee sounded when he upgraded his bridge and pins. I jumped on it . . . and promptly put the guitar back in the case for another 5 years. I will say this, that guitar sounds like a million bucks today. Way better than any Larry that’s on the wall at the local dealer. Must be the bridge and pins!

One vice I have right now is straps. I’ve really become hooked on straps by Jeri Hart. She’s a wonderful person and makes a fantastic strap. This is my current favorite of hers:

I’ve asked her to make a custom strap for me to celebrate my first grandchild. We’re going to add each grandchild to the strap as they’re born. Should be fun. I’ll post pics when it’s done, but that might be a month or two!

Here's a link to her website: http://jeridesigns.com/customguitarstrapshome.htm

So what about you? Are you a pick connoisseur? 9 volt battery snob? Pedalboard junkie? Tuner freak? Fill us in on your accessory cravings!

I'll be gone till this afternoon then off to band practice tonight, so I may not reply as quickly as I'd like. I'll be interested to read your responses when I get back. Sometimes these "vice" type posts really get guys looking at gear they haven't considered before. Let's get the GAS fires burning!

Ches

Re: LUNCH REPORT for Thursday, May 24, 2012

Thu May 24, 2012 6:26 am

I've always liked the way ASATs are wired up - no tinkering there from me. The controls work just rght on all of mine. The pots on my Bluesboy are stiffer than I'd like them to be and I intend to change them one day soon. I don't know why it's taking me so long to get around to that!

As for accessories, pedals are my main thing. I don't carry heaps of them around with me, nor do I use any whacky effects like ring mods or guitar synths, but I have quite a couple lying about that I don't use, most are overdrive and they all sound the same :problem: I'm holding off buying any more for a while until the MI Audio Super Crunch Box comes out. I'm hoping that device will give me the crunch sounds I want from my amp. As I write this I have Otis Redding's 'Pain In My Heart' album playing - there's some very tasty guitar work and sounds (well, sound, it doesn't seem to change hugely from song to song) on it. Makes me want to get rid of all the pedals!

Thu May 24, 2012 11:45 am

I accept the baton for the 2nd highest honor. It's been a little while, but I'm chompin' at the bits to do it again. Thanks, Ches...... you 'da men.

I've owned modded guitars - almost all of them were G&L's. I didn't do the deed with any of them, I bought them that way. I'm ok doing some itonation, a strings change, or a setup; but I'll be darned if I'm not skeered to do anything with a solder gun. The worst mod? A SC-3 with a scalloped fingerboard. I didn't know it had one - I bought it off eBay. Stole it, really. Loved the tone; hated the scallop crap. I was telling someone at a local store about it & that I was going to flip it or part it out. He bought it on the spot. Got my money out of it. I wouldn't pay $5 for another like it, but probably should have kept it for parts. Fave mod? A 4-way switch like Ches mentioned. Very nice addition to a workhorse.

I've experimented so much with picks that you might think I have a pick fetish. I have lots around. About all I've found is that those with a little grip assistance are good & those without such can easily be made to function just fine by drilling a small hole in the middle.

Your strap pic shows a very nice piece of Jeri's craft. That is a beauty & actually caused a slight drool onset. I have 2 of her straps & really like 'em both. I may have to get with her on somehting similar to that soon. Hope you don't mind me being a copycat. I guess I'm kinda into straps, myself. I never go hunting for one, but they do seem to find me. [your post is just the most recent example] I saw a great picture of a black CpT Blues Queen like mine on The Gear Page. Beside it was a gorgeous ostrich hide strap. The guitar & strap were owned by a blues player in Italy. I immediately contacted hm & got the info on his custom-made strap from Australia. I contacted the maker & ordered one similar: same ostrich hide materials, similar pattern, & smaller width. Here is a pic of it. I love that strap; purtiest one I've ever seen [so far].

Great stuff
Jay

Thu May 24, 2012 12:23 pm

blargfromouterspace wrote:I've always liked the way ASATs are wired up - no tinkering there from me. The controls work just rght on all of mine. The pots on my Bluesboy are stiffer than I'd like them to be and I intend to change them one day soon. I don't know why it's taking me so long to get around to that!

As for accessories, pedals are my main thing. I don't carry heaps of them around with me, nor do I use any whacky effects like ring mods or guitar synths, but I have quite a couple lying about that I don't use, most are overdrive and they all sound the same :problem: I'm holding off buying any more for a while until the MI Audio Super Crunch Box comes out. I'm hoping that device will give me the crunch sounds I want from my amp. As I write this I have Otis Redding's 'Pain In My Heart' album playing - there's some very tasty guitar work and sounds (well, sound, it doesn't seem to change hugely from song to song) on it. Makes me want to get rid of all the pedals!

Jamie -
I've dragged my feet fixing one simple thing or another, especially if it's something that still works, like a stiff pot. Man, I could put fixing that off for months!

I'm right with you on OD pedals. I had a pile of 'em and sold/traded most of them off. Then I won a drawing . . . an OD and a distortion pedal. Sheesh. I'm destined to start an overdrive pedal store! I'm down to about 4 crunch type pedals. As for hearing great tone with no pedals, there's a ton of that out there for us to hear. I'm trying to head in that direction, but I've still got a long way to go.

Thu May 24, 2012 12:31 pm

Jaystrings wrote:I accept the baton for the 2nd highest honor. It's been a little while, but I'm chompin' at the bits to do it again. Thanks, Ches...... you 'da men.

Glad you decided to give it a shot. I'll be here!

Jaystrings wrote:The worst mod? A SC-3 with a scalloped fingerboard. I didn't know it had one - I bought it off eBay. Stole it, really. Loved the tone; hated the scallop crap. I was telling someone at a local store about it & that I was going to flip it or part it out. He bought it on the spot. Got my money out of it. I wouldn't pay $5 for another like it, but probably should have kept it for parts. Fave mod? A 4-way switch like Ches mentioned. Very nice addition to a workhorse.

I'd be pissed if I bought a guitar on ebay and the guy didn't disclose a scalloped fingerboard. As for the $5, I'd consider that overpaying! ;)

Jaystrings wrote:I've experimented so much with picks that you might think I have a pick fetish. I have lots around. About all I've found is that those with a little grip assistance are good & those without such can easily be made to function just fine by drilling a small hole in the middle.

I like those Dava grip picks. They never slip. I tried a bunch of different picks that Westsideduck sent me several years ago. Some were good, some not so good. My youngest son really liked a few and still plays them.

Jaystrings wrote:I love that strap; purtiest one I've ever seen [so far].

That's a great looking strap. I visited that website not too long ago when someone posted about it on another forum. Beautiful stuff.

Thu May 24, 2012 1:20 pm

A lot of good reports and responses this week. Hard to catch up.

Ches, you hit a couple things I would like to do this week. I have wanted, for some time, to find an amazing number 1 accoustic guitar. I would have to play a lot to see what I like, and would like to try the boutiques as well as the big boys. Electrics--I am pretty happy with the standard stuff, but love to try everything.

Like a lot of guys yesterday I have played a lot of Fender Amps, and I love them. I only own silverface Fenders, right now, and a Pignose practice amp--doesn't count. But I have total gas for a boutique. I am looking at Reason and Two-Head. But there are so many now. I wonder if I could learn to use an amp with a master volume?

I am an inveterate tinkerer, and have done a lot of mods. But I have not been doing as much, lately. Basically, the reality is I am kinda feel like I make changes, but not improvements. I think Gabe's (whoever that is) 4 way mod is great for tele's. I will do something very much like that for all 2 PU stuff that stays in my stable.

j

Thu May 24, 2012 1:43 pm

sickbutnottired wrote:A lot of good reports and responses this week. Hard to catch up.

Ches, you hit a couple things I would like to do this week. I have wanted, for some time, to find an amazing number 1 accoustic guitar. I would have to play a lot to see what I like, and would like to try the boutiques as well as the big boys. Electrics--I am pretty happy with the standard stuff, but love to try everything.

Like a lot of guys yesterday I have played a lot of Fender Amps, and I love them. I only own silverface Fenders, right now, and a Pignose practice amp--doesn't count. But I have total gas for a boutique. I am looking at Reason and Two-Head. But there are so many now. I wonder if I could learn to use an amp with a master volume?

I am an inveterate tinkerer, and have done a lot of mods. But I have not been doing as much, lately. Basically, the reality is I am kinda feel like I make changes, but not improvements. I think Gabe's (whoever that is) 4 way mod is great for tele's. I will do something very much like that for all 2 PU stuff that stays in my stable.

j

I'm glad you've liked the LR's and the responses this week. We've had some great activity.

Despite the fact that I rarely play my acoustic, when I take it out of the case I'm always reminded that Larrivee builds a great guitar. I also think the bridge and pins really made a difference, and it wasn't a huge expense. I highly recommend Larrivee for a mid priced acoustic, and upgrading the bridge and pins.

Tough to beat a vintage Fender amp, but I've really grown accustomed to using a MV amp like my MAZ18 and Top Hat Club Deluxe. I can get into a mild crunch at more tolerable levels, although, cranking them up is still the best!

I think Gabe joined the GbL in it's infancy. He was very active on the old board and is a huge G&L history buff and guitar building whiz. He had more technical info than anyone I know. A real wealth of knowledge. Same goes for Greg Gagliano.

Thu May 24, 2012 4:25 pm

i love scalloped fingerboards. basically the same as having really big hands. those with less than perfect technique are gonna have a hard time playing it. i would suggest for people to practice on guitars like that, it will improve technique tremendously.
my bluesboy is barely modded. just no pickguard, flipped control plate with angled switch, tone control on bridge only, 250k low torque linear bourns volume pot, fralin steel pole 43 bridge pup, bkp missisippi queen p90 in neck. straplocks, 4 way switch. basically the tuners, the bridge and the knobs are still the same.

question 2. all of the above. i use custom cables by collossal cables and george l's only on my board. as far as straps, i use moody ( the best by far i have ever seen), pete schmidt and eyeland straps and brookwood leather. the moody straps are almost 200 bucks and worth every penny. 4" wide, 3 layers, italian glove leather.
i use the thomastic power bright strings with the brass coated trebles. both the feel and tone far superior to other strings i have tried.
as far as picks, i use the cool pick beta carbonate with the silicone grips. i find that picks make a huge difference in tone. these are not that easy to play with, but the tone is much better. i also sometimes use surfpicks made of lignum vitae, and the ultex sharp dunlops with some earthquake putty added for grip. the traditional shape and material picks most people use sound totally lifeless to me now. they also give very poor note definition when playing faster.

i am definitely a pedal junkie. here are a few of them. i have more now, but i don't have a current pic.

my favorites currently are 7 sisters, jetter gsb, hao rumble mod, timmy, ep booster, xts precision drive, lovepedal cot red, epicenter audio valveboy, pertpetual motion ds1, just to name a few.

Thu May 24, 2012 5:37 pm

Checking in as I just finished getting all the equipment ready for gigs this weekend.

I have really enjoyed the photos this week. I am not a pedal guy, only have a few and I think that Louis has made up my share. As primarily a bassist, i wouldn't do them a lot of justice. I have not done a great deal of modding either. However, I more straps than guitars. I have just under 50 straps, all leather and many of them are the same. I keep one in each guitar case. I like the super wide ones for bass and the straps that come with the American Deluxe Fenders have been my favorite for the rest. They are black leather and just have a slip clip for adjusting. In the end I may be a strap junkie. I also have extra string tuners and tend to try new ones that are interesting. I have Schaller strap locks on all the straps and guitars except for a couple of guitars which I do not use. I have experimented with different picks and have many of them laying around. Also a bunch of strings in sealed packs. Jeez, I guess I am kind of a junkie. Come to think of it, I have locking tuners on most of the guitars. I have a bunch of G&L original tuners laying around. I have also been selective about cables do to failures of cheap cables another band member uses. Nuff said I think. Do I have a problem????-- Darwin :shocked028:
Last edited by darwinohm on Thu May 24, 2012 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 24, 2012 5:40 pm

And Louis said:

"my bluesboy is barely modded. just no pickguard, flipped control plate with angled switch, tone control on bridge only, 250k low torque linear bourns volume pot, fralin steel pole 43 bridge pup, bkp missisippi queen p90 in neck. straplocks, 4 way switch. basically the tuners, the bridge and the knobs are still the same. "

I really enjoy your posts (and your playing is wonderful) but I honestly can't tell whether you are serious sometimes or kidding around or trying to be ironic or what. Hell, just play on and enjoy!

Great LR yesterday, Ches, and fantastic, fantastic responses. I decided not to say anything in the interest of not screwing with perfection. Speaking of which....

"To Mod or not to Mod" That is the question. Here is my answer: If the instrument isn't pretty much the way I want it, I don't buy it.
I neither have the time or the skills to mess with it. And as I've stated ad nauseum, I'm a hack of a player, so changing a value or a gum-drop or whatever would just be a waste of time and effort for me. With two young kids and two demented oldies, dicking around with nice instruments doesn't make much sense for me. But I do have great admiration for those talented folks who know what they want and can make it so. Bravo to you guys!

Sub-question: I can't recall modding a G&L, but I lost the "top hat" switch tip for my Bluesboy. If anybody can give me information on the size replacement I need (i.e., would a Fender tip fit?) would be appreciated. Maybe I'll go to Thumbs and get a nice silver one with a nice black onyx on it. Hmmmm.....

Straps, cables, strings: I like Martin SPs on my acoustic, and tend to buy GHS or D'Addario 10-46 sets for my electrics. I went through a phase where I was in love with Snake Oil strings, but I ended up having quality control issues with them. I don't care too much about guitar straps, but I do have one nice one with good-quality leather and lambs wool against the shoulder. Can't remember the brand right now, but it will come to me after a drink or three. Otherwise, as a basement player, I don't care too much about straps, nor about cables either, actually. Regarding the latter, though, it has become apparent to me that you tend to get what you pay for.

BTW, I'm going to check out your custom strap-making gal, Ches. I am much impressed, and we only live once, after all.

Also, good get with Jay for next week. I enjoyed his book quite a bit, and have enjoyed his contributions over the years - though the number of CP Thorntons he owns seems to me to indicate a mild form of some mental illness or other. Maybe it's just GAS.... - ed

Thu May 24, 2012 5:50 pm

louis cyfer wrote:i love scalloped fingerboards. basically the same as having really big hands. those with less than perfect technique are gonna have a hard time playing it. i would suggest for people to practice on guitars like that, it will improve technique tremendously.
my bluesboy is barely modded. just no pickguard, flipped control plate with angled switch, tone control on bridge only, 250k low torque linear bourns volume pot, fralin steel pole 43 bridge pup, bkp missisippi queen p90 in neck. straplocks, 4 way switch. basically the tuners, the bridge and the knobs are still the same.

question 2. all of the above.

i am definitely a pedal junkie.

I only know you from the few posts I've read, and I can say without hesitation I am not surprised by your answer! You really seem to know EXACTLY what you like and don't like. It's great when you reach that point, but has your experimenting come to an end?

Oh, and yes, I agree you are a pedal junkie!
:D

Thu May 24, 2012 5:54 pm

darwinohm wrote:Checking in as I just finished getting all the equipment ready for gigs this weekend.

I have really enjoyed the photos this week. I am not a pedal guy, only have a few and I think that Louis has made up my share. As primarily a bassist, i wouldn't do them a lot of justice. I have not done a great deal of modding either. However, I more straps than guitars. I have just under 50 straps, all leather and many of them are the same. I keep one in each guitar case. I like the super wide ones for bass and the straps that come with the American Deluxe Fenders have been my favorite for the rest. They are black leather and just have a slip clip for adjusting. In the end I may be a strap junkie. I also have extra string tuners and tend to try new ones that are interesting. I have Schaller strap locks on all the straps and guitars except for a couple of guitars which I do not use. I have experimented with different picks and have many of them laying around. Also a bunch of strings in sealed packs. Jeez, I guess I am kind of a junkie. Come to think of it, I have locking tuners on most of the guitars. I have a bunch of G&L original tuners laying around. I have also been selective about cables do to failures of cheap cables another band member uses. Nuff said I think. Do I have a problem????-- Darwin :shocked028:

50 straps??!! Holy cats . . . you're like the Jaystrings of strapdom! I'm with you on the strap locks and experimental picks. The strings are ok as long as you don't have 150 sets. That'd be obsessive! I'd say you and I may not be that far apart on some of this stuff, so to answer your final question, yes, you do have a problem!
:thumbup:

Thu May 24, 2012 6:06 pm

zapcosongs wrote:Great LR yesterday, Ches, and fantastic, fantastic responses. I decided not to say anything in the interest of not screwing with perfection. Speaking of which....

Thanks, Ed. Glad you enjoyed the conversation, but you ought to join in! You've always got something good to add!

zapcosongs wrote:"To Mod or not to Mod" That is the question. Here is my answer: If the instrument isn't pretty much the way I want it, I don't buy it.

Makes perfect sense to me!

zapcosongs wrote:Sub-question: I can't recall modding a G&L, but I lost the "top hat" switch tip for my Bluesboy. If anybody can give me information on the size replacement I need (i.e., would a Fender tip fit?) would be appreciated. Maybe I'll go to Thumbs and get a nice silver one with a nice black onyx on it. Hmmmm.....

You've got to get one of those switch tips! How cool!

zapcosongs wrote:BTW, I'm going to check out your custom strap-making gal, Ches. I am much impressed, and we only live once, after all.

She's a wonderful person. Tell her I said hi. Milo (Jeff) turned me on to her straps a while back. I'm glad he did. She's working on a special strap for me and I can't wait till it's done. We need to work out a few design details, but it's going to be sweet! She's a bit short handed right now, so she may not respond right away concerning custom stuff, but she will respond.

zapcosongs wrote:Also, good get with Jay for next week. I enjoyed his book quite a bit, and have enjoyed his contributions over the years - though the number of CP Thorntons he owns seems to me to indicate a mild form of some mental illness or other. Maybe it's just GAS.... - ed

I'm going with a combination of mental illness and GAS. What scares me is, I think he's contagious! :D

Thu May 24, 2012 6:12 pm

Tim Buffalo Bros wrote:Hi Ches:

1) To Mod or not to Mod:

Loaded question! :)

For me it depends on what it is. Example, G&L Broadcaster? No way. SC2 reissue -- yes I would. Knowing mods can affect value is a concern to the individual. Mods to improve playing style to ones preferences are good. My own guitars are as follows ~

a) G&L Broadcaster no mods.

b) G&L Trinity.
Mods in that all the hardware are black crinkle.

2) Accessories:

I do fancy a nice strap. Currently the one I use most is a custom made Ostrich strap with Buffalo (of course) Nickel Inlay conches.

Regards,
Tim

Hi Tim! I agree on the "depends" comment. Broadcaster or G200 - no way! I do like the black crinkle on your Trinity.

You need to post a picture of that strap. Sounds cool. Is it similar to Jay's?

Thu May 24, 2012 6:32 pm

zapcosongs wrote:And Louis said:

"my bluesboy is barely modded. just no pickguard, flipped control plate with angled switch, tone control on bridge only, 250k low torque linear bourns volume pot, fralin steel pole 43 bridge pup, bkp missisippi queen p90 in neck. straplocks, 4 way switch. basically the tuners, the bridge and the knobs are still the same. "

I really enjoy your posts (and your playing is wonderful) but I honestly can't tell whether you are serious sometimes or kidding around or trying to be ironic or what. Hell, just play on and enjoy!

Great LR yesterday, Ches, and fantastic, fantastic responses. I decided not to say anything in the interest of not screwing with perfection. Speaking of which....

"To Mod or not to Mod" That is the question. Here is my answer: If the instrument isn't pretty much the way I want it, I don't buy it.
I neither have the time or the skills to mess with it. And as I've stated ad nauseum, I'm a hack of a player, so changing a value or a gum-drop or whatever would just be a waste of time and effort for me. With two young kids and two demented oldies, dicking around with nice instruments doesn't make much sense for me. But I do have great admiration for those talented folks who know what they want and can make it so. Bravo to you guys!

Sub-question: I can't recall modding a G&L, but I lost the "top hat" switch tip for my Bluesboy. If anybody can give me information on the size replacement I need (i.e., would a Fender tip fit?) would be appreciated. Maybe I'll go to Thumbs and get a nice silver one with a nice black onyx on it. Hmmmm.....

Straps, cables, strings: I like Martin SPs on my acoustic, and tend to buy GHS or D'Addario 10-46 sets for my electrics. I went through a phase where I was in love with Snake Oil strings, but I ended up having quality control issues with them. I don't care too much about guitar straps, but I do have one nice one with good-quality leather and lambs wool against the shoulder. Can't remember the brand right now, but it will come to me after a drink or three. Otherwise, as a basement player, I don't care too much about straps, nor about cables either, actually. Regarding the latter, though, it has become apparent to me that you tend to get what you pay for.

BTW, I'm going to check out your custom strap-making gal, Ches. I am much impressed, and we only live once, after all.

Also, good get with Jay for next week. I enjoyed his book quite a bit, and have enjoyed his contributions over the years - though the number of CP Thorntons he owns seems to me to indicate a mild form of some mental illness or other. Maybe it's just GAS.... - ed

i was being serious. that is my least modded guitar.
the fender top hat switch tips work.
if you like custom straps also check out brookwod leather. he is in pennsylvania, and makes very nice straps as well as amp handles. he is also a helluva guitar player on top of it. here is the website. check it out. brookwood leather

here is a pic from his site, but it is my actual strap.

Fri May 25, 2012 1:42 am

I don't do drastic mods to any of my guitars, though back in 1985 I added a third pickup to a Music Man Sabre II--that's about the only non-reversible mod I've ever done to a guitar. Mike Lull up in Bellevue, Washington, did the work. I've known Mike for forever, and he does good work. It looks factory, and it was a smart change.

I have one maple neck G&L Legacy in ash that had Duncan Texas Hot Antiquities when I bought it. I really like those pickups, and I have two more sets; so I'm going to swap them into a couple of my other Legacys. Other than Schaller Straplocks, I don't mod my G&Ls--and I usually don't add the Schallers unless there is a reason.

My Gibsons are a different story. Most Les Pauls have a plastic jack plate, so I like to replace it with a metal one. A couple of my Pauls have gotten replacement pickups, and an RS Guitarworks pot and cap upgrade. I've also replaced a couple of stop bar tailpieces with LW aluminum bars made by Gotoh. I've replaced some control knobs, mostly just for the cosmetics. But the first thing I do with all my Gibsons is to install the Straplocks. The Gibson strap button is hopeless.

As for AXE-cessories, well....when you've been playing for 45 years...you collect stuff. :roll:

Got nine pedals on my board, a set of six pedals for the acoustic board, a handful of BBE pedals, four delays I'm not using, a couple of extra chorus pedals, a pair of old blue MXR 10-band EQ for my old rig that I don't use anymore, a PV reverb pedal, and some ODs that I hope will someday become priceless. (I'm not holding my breath!)

I'm pretty set in my pick choices, usually Dunlop Gator, Tortex, Ultrem or Delrin 500 (in that order) in 1.14mm; I am also experimenting with Clayton's Ultex. But Miss Leslie likes to collect picks, just cause they are pretty, and she probably has more than a gross of picks of various shapes, sizes, colors and materials.

And yeah, I think I have 10-12 guitar tuners around, no biggie. I keep a Shubb capo in the case of each of my acoustic guitars, and I have an extra one in my kit.

Ah, but I will admit to being a strap whore! I have 50 guitars these days and each one has it's own leather strap. I don't like anything metal on my straps. I have them from Levy's, Franklin, Italia, Fort Bryan, Martin, Moody's, Double Treble, Washburn, Music Man, Atlas, Harley Davidson (Dunlop), Taylor, Silver Eagle, Bobby Lee, and probably more. And one custom made for me. I love finding just the right strap for the guitar. (Won't find any of MY Guitars on "What Not To Wear"!)

I used to make my own cables, but I've gotten lazy in my old age. I have some high-quality cables from Mogami, Monster and Planet Waves, but most of my rig is the Live Wire brand from Guitar Center. I really like those inexpensive Rapco Road Hog cables they sell. That is a very, very good cable--and a very good deal.

I never thought about all the gizmos, gadgets, do-hickeys, thing-a-ma-bobs, cables, stands and adaptors I was going to have to buy when I started playing guitar back in 1965. I've spent a fortune on this stuff,...probably as much as I've spent on guitars! :shocked028:

Bill

Fri May 25, 2012 3:24 am

bill, you should give bob at brookwood leather a chance. no metal, he can custom match the guitar color if you like, and no adjustment (unless you want it), just cut to exact length that you need and gives you a second hole about 2" away for winter clothing. just a 3/8" hole for a straplock, no slit in there. i also have custom amp handles from him with my name carved into the handle, he can also do that for the straps, depending on the leather you choose.

Fri May 25, 2012 4:04 am

Tim Buffalo Bros wrote:Not a great photo........but the one I have of my strap. A bit worn from about 10 years of use!

I like it, and 10 years of use looks good on a strap!

Fri May 25, 2012 4:35 am

Boogie Bill wrote:I don't do drastic mods to any of my guitars, though back in 1985 I added a third pickup to a Music Man Sabre II--that's about the only non-reversible mod I've ever done to a guitar. Mike Lull up in Bellevue, Washington, did the work. I've known Mike for forever, and he does good work. It looks factory, and it was a smart change.

I'm not big on non-reversible mods, either. Routers and guitars make me nervous!

Boogie Bill wrote:I have one maple neck G&L Legacy in ash that had Duncan Texas Hot Antiquities when I bought it. I really like those pickups, and I have two more sets; so I'm going to swap them into a couple of my other Legacys. Other than Schaller Straplocks, I don't mod my G&Ls--and I usually don't add the Schallers unless there is a reason.

There are some aftermarket pickups that I've really come to like, but I'm getting to a point where I don't feel like futzing with my gear anymore. I never did much to my G&L's, other than adding an expander to a Legacy or two. Somehow, stock pickups sound better if I spend some time in the woodshed! Go figure!

Boogie Bill wrote:My Gibsons are a different story. Most Les Pauls have a plastic jack plate, so I like to replace it with a metal one. A couple of my Pauls have gotten replacement pickups, and an RS Guitarworks pot and cap upgrade. I've also replaced a couple of stop bar tailpieces with LW aluminum bars made by Gotoh. I've replaced some control knobs, mostly just for the cosmetics. But the first thing I do with all my Gibsons is to install the Straplocks. The Gibson strap button is hopeless.

Agree completely with the strap button comment. They are pathetic. I was about to get into the aluminum stop bar thing and moved away from Gibson to Thornton, so I avoided the expense . . . kind of.

I settled on Classic '57 pickups and the last few Gibby's I had came stock with those pickups, so I managed to leave them alone. I usually swapped out the speed knobs, and I liked to add a position indicator under each knob. It was more for looks than anything else, as I usually fine tuned the knob position while playing.

Boogie Bill wrote:As for AXE-cessories, well....when you've been playing for 45 years...you collect stuff. :roll:

I'll have my youngest son stop by. Your inventory will shrink by the minute!

Boogie Bill wrote: Got nine pedals on my board, a set of six pedals for the acoustic board, a handful of BBE pedals, four delays I'm not using, a couple of extra chorus pedals, a pair of old blue MXR 10-band EQ for my old rig that I don't use anymore, a PV reverb pedal, and some ODs that I hope will someday become priceless. (I'm not holding my breath!)

I'm pretty set in my pick choices, usually Dunlop Gator, Tortex, Ultrem or Delrin 500 (in that order) in 1.14mm; I am also experimenting with Clayton's Ultex. But Miss Leslie likes to collect picks, just cause they are pretty, and she probably has more than a gross of picks of various shapes, sizes, colors and materials.

And yeah, I think I have 10-12 guitar tuners around, no biggie. I keep a Shubb capo in the case of each of my acoustic guitars, and I have an extra one in my kit.

I can imagine stuff like pedals would accumulate like there's no tomorrow, especially if you're chasing the latest and greatest. Since you hang onto your gear, that's got to be quite a collection of cool pedals! My tuners fall into that category, too. My last tuner purchase is the TC Electronics PolyTune. I really like that tuner!

My youngest son usually stops by, plays all or part of a song he's written, and I think he slips a pick into his pocket before he leaves. I keep buying them, and somehow I have to buy more!

Boogie Bill wrote:Ah, but I will admit to being a strap whore! I have 50 guitars these days and each one has it's own leather strap. I don't like anything metal on my straps. I have them from Levy's, Franklin, Italia, Fort Bryan, Martin, Moody's, Double Treble, Washburn, Music Man, Atlas, Harley Davidson (Dunlop), Taylor, Silver Eagle, Bobby Lee, and probably more. And one custom made for me. I love finding just the right strap for the guitar. (Won't find any of MY Guitars on "What Not To Wear"!)

I used to make my own cables, but I've gotten lazy in my old age. I have some high-quality cables from Mogami, Monster and Planet Waves, but most of my rig is the Live Wire brand from Guitar Center. I really like those inexpensive Rapco Road Hog cables they sell. That is a very, very good cable--and a very good deal.

I never thought about all the gizmos, gadgets, do-hickeys, thing-a-ma-bobs, cables, stands and adaptors I was going to have to buy when I started playing guitar back in 1965. I've spent a fortune on this stuff,...probably as much as I've spent on guitars! :shocked028:

Bill

I'm a strap whore, too. I've picked up a strap for every guitar I've bought. I have a pile of Franklin 3" straps, some Levy's, Fender, and G&L, but once I bought a strap from Jeri Hart, it was all over. I've got two, with a third on order.

I tried making my own cables but had one hell of a time with George L's on my pedalboard. I ended up buying jumpers from Bayou Cables after reading great things about him on the GbL. They're still going strong!

We sure do accumulate a lot of stuff, don't we? I've gone through a couple purge sessions, so my gear closet is thinning out a bit. The big purge will come when the band finally calls it quits. I hope that doesn't happen any time soon!

Thanks for the great posts, Bill!
Brian

Fri May 25, 2012 4:58 am

ches, what do you mean you had a heel of a time with the george l's?

Fri May 25, 2012 5:11 am

louis cyfer wrote:ches, what do you mean you had a heel of a time with the george l's?

They'd cut out occasionally. I couldn't seem to get a reliable connection. Oddly enough, I'm pretty good with tools and electronics, but those cables were a problem for me.

Fri May 25, 2012 5:21 am

Ches wrote:
louis cyfer wrote:ches, what do you mean you had a heel of a time with the george l's?

They'd cut out occasionally. I couldn't seem to get a reliable connection. Oddly enough, I'm pretty good with tools and electronics, but those cables were a problem for me.

wow, i have never had a problem with those. takes no time at all to make a cable, and i have never had one go bad. the only thing that important is a good cable cutter that is very sharp and cuts like a cigar cutter. you need a flat cut without deforming the shape of the cable from round. the people i have seen struggle with them used a less than sharp knife or scissors, and compressed the cable while cutting it. that way it doesn't go in all the way to make a positive connection with the center pin. also a little lube on the jacket to make it slide all the way in easier.

Fri May 25, 2012 5:47 am

louis cyfer wrote:
Ches wrote:

wow, i have never had a problem with those. takes no time at all to make a cable, and i have never had one go bad. the only thing that important is a good cable cutter that is very sharp and cuts like a cigar cutter. you need a flat cut without deforming the shape of the cable from round. the people i have seen struggle with them used a less than sharp knife or scissors, and compressed the cable while cutting it. that way it doesn't go in all the way to make a positive connection with the center pin. also a little lube on the jacket to make it slide all the way in easier.

I used the cutter on my wire strippers. It's sharp, but that might have been the problem. I've got another cutter that is like a cigar cutter. If I ever try George L's again, I'll give that cutter a try.

Thanks for the tip.

Fri May 25, 2012 5:54 am

the cutter on wire strippers usually crush too much. makes the end of the cable unusable. it has to be perfectly flat and the cable to remain a circle.