LUNCH REPORT for Monday, May 21, 2012

Mon May 21, 2012 4:34 am

Hi guys! I’d like to thank Craig for the bestowing the second highest honor on me. It’s been quite a while since my last lunch report. So far back, in fact, that I can’t find any clue as to when I last had the honor. I think it was so long ago that GbL stood for GUITAR by Leo, not GUITARS by Leo. (Badda boom!) As you know, I haven’t been too active. I was the 35th guy to join the new GbL and this is only my 100th post. We’ll see if we can improve those numbers. I generally post my LR’s in the morning since I’m usually out of the office during the day, so feel free to check in and respond early.

For those who don’t know me, I suppose I’d be classified as an old timer from the old GbL. Not as old as some (like GDub), but old enough. Actually, Gary and I are the same age . . . we’re Stratogenarians. So the first question of the week is the easiest. What year were GDub and I born?

I’ve owned a pile of G&L’s, mostly BBE Era gear with a few Leo Era guitars thrown in the mix. I was a die hard single coil fan with a strong preference for the S-500. As our set list changed I made a move to humbuckers and have pretty much stayed in that camp. Due to that change most of my G&L’s are gone, with the exception of my ASAT Special Semi-Hollow. They were all great guitars.

Enough reminiscing . . . on to lunch!

LUNCH:
I’ve been on a diet for a little over a year, so lunches are almost predictable enough for me to write them out a week in advance. I’m writing this last Friday. I’m guessing I’ll have chicken on multi-grain bread with light mayo and an apple. Let’s see if that holds true.

G&L TOPIC:
I thought I’d start with something new that I just saw on the GbL . . . the 2012 Special Collection. Here’s something I would have liked to have seen several years ago - a thin finish on a G&L! I’m not sure if I’ll ever get to see one in-person as there are very few G&L dealers in my area, but I’m glad to see they’ve developed a finish that will attract the “thin-skin” buyer. The thick poly finish is one thing I didn’t really care for on my G&L’s. You could gig the snot out of ‘em and they still looked brand new. Most people like that, but I wanted those guitars to show how much I loved playing them!

Craig threw this up for discussion but didn’t get too many responses. I’d like to throw this back out there to see what you guys think. I’m wondering if this finish can be applied in any color or does it have to be a stained finish? Is it limited strictly to Honey Ale? Would you like to see a thin finish become the standard finish if you could get it in any color? Any other thoughts on the matter?

NON-G&L TOPIC:
Well, this really is a G&L topic, kind of. Back in the early GbL days, Brian Gagnon started the Just-A-Jam in conjunction with one of the large guitar shows in Texas. Quite a few GbL’ers from the south and west attended, including Dave McLaren, Will Ray, Tim Page, and a bunch of other guys. There are pictures in the Gallery. Take a look if you haven’t done that yet.

Anyway, it looked like so much fun we started one in Michigan 8 years ago. Emmitt (front right) took charge and put this thing together. The first Michigan Jam had attendees from as far away as NY, PA, SC, OH, and of course, MI. Subsequent years brought in guys from Florida to Wisconsin, and as far away as England. The group ended up donating guitars and amps to a few deserving people, including a blind guy who was mentally handicapped. He taught himself to play sitting down with the guitar in his lap like Jeff Healey. Quite a feel good moment for us and he was thrilled to get a new guitar and amp. Anyway, we’ve had a lot of fun, and a lot of the guys from the old group still get together every fall. While it’s not G&L centered anymore, it’s still a good time and great to see everyone. Here’s a shot of the first MI Jam. My oldest son said we should start a band and call it the Creepy Internet Stalkers. Nice kid . . .

I’m curious if you’ve ever met with other “creepy internet stalkers” to hold a jam or just get together to talk about guitars and gear? Would you be interested in doing something like that? Did you form any long term friendships, or were you just beat senseless in an alley and robbed of all your possessions? ;-)

That’s it for day 1. I’ll check in tonight to read the responses. I’ll be taking applications for LR duties as the week progresses, so let me know if you'd like to take over next week.

Ches

Re: LUNCH REPORT for Monday, May 21, 2012

Mon May 21, 2012 4:56 am

Ches wrote: What year were GDub and I born?

Ches wrote:

G&L TOPIC:
Would you like to see a thin finish become the standard finish if you could get it in any color? Any other thoughts on the matter?[/color]

Yes, I would like to see a thin finish be standard or at least available in any color.

Ches wrote:

I’m curious if you’ve ever met with other “creepy internet stalkers” to hold a jam or just get together to talk about guitars and gear? Would you be interested in doing something like that? Did you form any long term friendships, or were you just beat senseless in an alley and robbed of all your possessions? ;-)

I've met Thom (Zombywoof) several times. He's a great guy and lots of fun to hang out with!

Sprinter 92

Mon May 21, 2012 10:58 am

Sprinter 92 wrote:

never ask a gentleman his age!! or is that only for a lady!! anyway , I've not been here long enough to get it wrong............. :lol:

Ches wrote:

G&L TOPIC:
Would you like to see a thin finish become the standard finish if you could get it in any color? Any other thoughts on the matter?[/color]

Nope, sorry. I like a solid colour on a guitar. Would love G&L to do a run of the classic early Leo "car paint" colours. :D

Ches wrote:

Probably not a hope in hell over here. but if you do I have a rehearsal studio we can use!

cheers
john

Mon May 21, 2012 2:00 pm

I'm gonna guess that you & GDub were probably born about the time of Leo's first guitars. I have one of his '52 Tele Reissues, so I'm gonna guess 1952. Damn, that would make you 60 this year. And before you lost so much weight, you were starting to look a bit like Leo, so I'm going with 1952. I never knew you & Gdub shared the same birthday. I knew you both enjoyed wearing green kilts & doing Irish jigs while playing a guitar, but I really never thought of you as "twins". Weird, yes; twins, no.

I'm proud to say that I've only missed one Michigan Jam - & that was due to my father's illness. Not only are these jams excellent musical events thanks to a lot of pre-event planning on Emmit & the house band's part; they are one helluva great social event. I guess I should add that every jam I've attended cost me lots, as I always come back with a guitar. Last November's was the best yet because of the 1962 Gibson ES-125TDE I found at Elderly's at our annual tirekicking break.

I have no opinion on the finishes, but look forward to reading the responses.

Great start, Ches. Can't wait to see what your warped mind dreams up next.

You are truly, 'DA MAN.

Jay

Mon May 21, 2012 2:23 pm

Hey, Sprinter. Glad to see you're here. I did a little checking in the Lunch Reporter archive. My first lunch report was in 2004 and I was nominated by YOU. Crazy, eh?

1954 is correct! While GW and I have our differences (he likes those Irish Man-Skirts and I occasionally wear pants), we share the same birth year.

I think a few guys here have met Zombywoof and all say he's a great guy!

Mon May 21, 2012 2:29 pm

never ask a gentleman his age!!
There are no gentlemen here!

G&L TOPIC:
Nope, sorry. I like a solid colour on a guitar. Would love G&L to do a run of the classic early Leo "car paint" colours. :D
Car paint colors . . . that'd be cool! A local builder bought old Schwinn bike decals, painted one guitar banana yellow and put on the Schwinn Banana Peeler sticker. Very cool guitar!

I’m curious if you’ve ever met with other “creepy internet stalkers” ;-)
[/quote]
Probably not a hope in hell over here. but if you do I have a rehearsal studio we can use!
I think you're probably better off! Maybe we can get enough golfers together to come over for a trip around the links and an evening jam.

Mon May 21, 2012 2:37 pm

Here comes trouble . . .

I'm gonna guess that you & GDub were probably born about the time of Leo's first guitars. I have one of his '52 Tele Reissues, so I'm gonna guess 1952. Damn, that would make you 60 this year. And before you lost so much weight, you were starting to look a bit like Leo, so I'm going with 1952. I never knew you & Gdub shared the same birthday. I knew you both enjoyed wearing green kilts & doing Irish jigs while playing a guitar, but I really never thought of you as "twins". Weird, yes; twins, no.
Well, you missed by 2 years. We're Stratogenarians, not Telegenarians . . . and I bet if you suggested to him that we're twins, he'd change his birth certificate! :D

I'm proud to say that I've only missed one Michigan Jam - & that was due to my father's illness. Not only are these jams excellent musical events thanks to a lot of pre-event planning on Emmit & the house band's part; they are one helluva great social event. I guess I should add that every jam I've attended cost me lots, as I always come back with a guitar. Last November's was the best yet because of the 1962 Gibson ES-125TDE I found at Elderly's at our annual tirekicking break.
You've been a regular right down the line, and I agree, Emmitt does a great job.

For those of you who don't know Jay, we had to drag him kicking and screaming on stage to strum a 1-4-5 with his volume on 1 at the first Michigan Jam. Now, he's a freakin' stage whore.
;)

Great start, Ches. Can't wait to see what your warped mind dreams up next.
Thanks, Jay. I'll try to keep it interesting.

Mon May 21, 2012 4:07 pm

The Creepy Internet Stalkers is a great name for a band. Those early GbL days seem like a lot of fun, you guys got together a lot by the looks of it. I've met one other GbL creepy internet stalker, Philby - great guy who plays really well. If any of you are ever down this way let me know :thumbup:

I'm all for the thin finishes, especially if they choose to go with other colours. I think G&L finishes are the best looking there is, but there's no denying they are heavy. I'd imagine it would be cheaper and greener doing thin finsihes purely because there's less product applied. Does anyone know how many coats there are on your average G&L?

EDIT: Just read the blurb Craig posted about these and one thing got my attention "surprisingly durable". I'd guess that any chance of putting playing wear on to one of these through hard use is going to be tough!

Mon May 21, 2012 4:42 pm

Ches, good to some of you older GLDP'rs back once in a while. Lunch here today was a bowl of soup. Have had a busy day.

We have never had a jam in this area but it would be fun. When I first joined this board they were having one in Michigan and they sounded like fun. Even though I am retired and should have tons of time I find I am just as busy as when I was working. I just start much later in the mornings and do the things I want to.

I found the new G&L posting interesting. I do like the color but am not sure if it is a satin or gloss finish. I would consider thin if I knew it were extremely durable. I don't want my guitars to become road worn.

Ches, I would have guessed you guys around 60. Most of the older guys have had G&L's for years but there are a lot of newer members just getting in to them and I have say we all start somewhere. I have only owned G&Ls for less than 5 years and I am well into senior citizen status. -- Darwin

Mon May 21, 2012 4:59 pm

As I recall I'm a few months older than you, but I don't look a day older than Cajun Boy. ;-)

Ches wrote: I’ve been on a diet for a little over a year...

Sorry the diet's not working out for you. (Badda boom! ;-) )

Ches wrote: I’m wondering if this finish can be applied in any color or does it have to be a stained finish? Is it limited strictly to Honey Ale? Would you like to see a thin finish become the standard finish if you could get it in any color? Any other thoughts on the matter?

I've got a thin finish on my Heritage H-137 and... it's just a thin finish. Or am I missing the point?!? I am a Stratogenarian after all.

Ches wrote: I’m curious if you’ve ever met with other “creepy internet stalkers” to hold a jam or just get together to talk about guitars and gear? Would you be interested in doing something like that? Did you form any long term friendships, or were you just beat senseless in an alley and robbed of all your possessions? ;-)

The only “creepy internet stalkers” I'm interested in charge for their services and guarantee discretion.

/////
Damn Ches, I was hoping for a good ol' G&LDP brawl and all I got was a love fest. You must be mellowing with age. Good on you! Hope you and yours are well.

--GDub (aka, --gw)

Mon May 21, 2012 5:33 pm

Ches wrote:I’m curious if you’ve ever met with other “creepy internet stalkers” to hold a jam or just get together to talk about guitars and gear? Would you be interested in doing something like that? Did you form any long term friendships, or were you just beat senseless in an alley and robbed of all your possessions? ;-)

I run into Bill (Bassman) occasionally at a local used guitar shop, and I've been to one very enjoyable show by his band. I'm still waiting to connect with Ed (Zapcosongs).

We had a little bit of discussion on one of last week's LRs about having a G&L Jam in the DC area. I'm not sure whether that would be a living room thing or a larger event. Any interest out there in having a get-together in the next couple of months?

Ken

Mon May 21, 2012 6:25 pm

Hey Ches - Great to see you at the helm again. I will send you a set of strings if you can get Mr. Omar to accept the Second Highest Honor from you later this week. (I just ordered a bunch of D'Addario 10-46 sets of da 'Bay).

Sorry I'm late. Crazy day. Just got back from my kid's Elem. school Orchestra concert. My oldest (at my wife's powerful suggestion) has taken up violin - setting him back about 9 months in his learning guitar (didn't have time for both given swim team and drama stuff).

I'm not on a diet, but folks keep asking me if I've lost weight. I have no idea, as I do not weigh myself, but I chalk it up to recently growing a beard and switching from beer to vodka as my drug of (second) choice. ;+)

Regarding your finish question, I really don't sweat guitar finishes. I sound like an advanced beginner on whatever instrument I play, so this stuff is really beyond me. I will say that having more choices can only bode well for the consumer as well as the company. I do agree with our Scott friend that the old car colours are great. Gimme a Legacy Special or HB in Belair or Surf Green, Sonic Blue, whatever. Beautiful. Though I do like thin, I get mine with a little extra, if you know what I mean... ;+).

As to your "stalker" question, though there are many fine folks here I would enjoy meeting (so long as they don't judge me by playing (dis)ability, I think I have only met two GbLers in the flesh. I got to spend a couple of afternoons with Thom/zombywoof, and I've met Bassman Bill numerous times. I've seen his band RAGS on several occasions, and I've had him do set-ups on both my Leo-era basses, and on my early SC-2. I'm proud to count both of these fine gents among my friends. And to prove that they exist:

Here's Bassman with my SB-2:

And Thom/ZW with my SC-2:

Great start! - ed

Mon May 21, 2012 7:00 pm

Intended to add that I'm looking forward to meeting KenC before long (he's about an hour from me) as well as sickbutnottired, who it seems will be working in the area before too long. - ed

Mon May 21, 2012 7:25 pm

blargfromouterspace wrote:Those early GbL days seem like a lot of fun, you guys got together a lot by the looks of it.

Does anyone know how many coats there are on your average G&L?

We did have a lot of fun. It was a pretty diverse group and we managed to get along ok . . . sometimes!

Good question about the number of coats on an average G&L. Hey Craig or Tim - do you guys know the answer?

darwinohm wrote:Ches, good to some of you older GLDP'rs back once in a while.

Even though I am retired and should have tons of time I find I am just as busy as when I was working.

Ches, I would have guessed you guys around 60. Most of the older guys have had G&L's for years but there are a lot of newer members just getting in to them and I have say we all start somewhere. I have only owned G&Ls for less than 5 years and I am well into senior citizen status. -- Darwin

Darwin - It's nice to be back! I have a bunch of retired friends and almost all of them tell me they have no idea how they found the time to go to work!

Well, my cardiologist thinks I'm over 60, but gw and I are a couple years shy of that point. The good thing about getting into G&L's is that there's a lot to discover as you look at current gear and Leo Era guitars. Enjoy the journey!

Mon May 21, 2012 7:35 pm

GDub wrote:

As I recall I'm a few months older than you, but I don't look a day older than Cajun Boy. ;-)
You are a few months older, and I agree . . . you don't look as old as Mark. Is he MIA on this board?

Ches wrote: I’ve been on a diet for a little over a year...

Sorry the diet's not working out for you. (Badda boom! ;-) )
Lost 54 pounds, and I'm within 20 of my wrestling weight in 1972! BAM! Of course, that weight is distributed a bit different than it was back then!

Ches wrote: I’m wondering if this finish can be applied in any color or does it have to be a stained finish? Is it limited strictly to Honey Ale? Would you like to see a thin finish become the standard finish if you could get it in any color? Any other thoughts on the matter?

I've got a thin finish on my Heritage H-137 and... it's just a thin finish. Or am I missing the point?!? I am a Stratogenarian after all.
Some like it thin, some like it thick. I figured since you knew black guitars sounded better, you'd understand that finish thickness determines if a guitar is right for lead or rhythm work.

Ches wrote: I’m curious if you’ve ever met with other “creepy internet stalkers” to hold a jam or just get together to talk about guitars and gear? Would you be interested in doing something like that? Did you form any long term friendships, or were you just beat senseless in an alley and robbed of all your possessions? ;-)

The only “creepy internet stalkers” I'm interested in charge for their services and guarantee discretion.
With emphasis on discretion!

/////
Damn Ches, I was hoping for a good ol' G&LDP brawl and all I got was a love fest. You must be mellowing with age. Good on you! Hope you and yours are well.

--GDub (aka, --gw)

Yep, I'm mellowing and tolerant as hell! A lot of water under the bridge this past year, but we're all good. Thanks for asking. I imagine the Maggies are still at it and the best accordion player on the west coast is doing well?!

Ches

Mon May 21, 2012 7:44 pm

KenC wrote:I run into Bill (Bassman) occasionally at a local used guitar shop, and I've been to one very enjoyable show by his band. I'm still waiting to connect with Ed (Zapcosongs).

We had a little bit of discussion on one of last week's LRs about having a G&L Jam in the DC area. I'm not sure whether that would be a living room thing or a larger event. Any interest out there in having a get-together in the next couple of months?

Ken

Hey Ken - I think it's great meeting guys from the forum. It always changes the nature of the board when you really get to know the other guys. I'm glad to hear Bill's still gigging. You guys should try to put together a Jam. We've had a blast.

As for meeting Ed in person . . . hmmmm . . . what the heck????

Mon May 21, 2012 7:53 pm

Hey . . . it's Ed! Hi Ed! :whome: :D

Hey Ches - Great to see you at the helm again. I will send you a set of strings if you can get Mr. Omar to accept the Second Highest Honor from you later this week. (I just ordered a bunch of D'Addario 10-46 sets of da 'Bay).
Might be a tough one to pull off, but I'll give it a shot.

I'm not on a diet, but folks keep asking me if I've lost weight. I have no idea, as I do not weigh myself, but I chalk it up to recently growing a beard and switching from beer to vodka as my drug of (second) choice. ;+)
There you go . . . cut out the beer and go straight to the liquor cabinet. That worked for me!

Regarding your finish question, I really don't sweat guitar finishes. I sound like an advanced beginner on whatever instrument I play, so this stuff is really beyond me. I will say that having more choices can only bode well for the consumer as well as the company. I do agree with our Scott friend that the old car colours are great. Gimme a Legacy Special or HB in Belair or Surf Green, Sonic Blue, whatever. Beautiful.
Agreed. The more choices, the better.

Though I do like thin, I get mine with a little extra, if you know what I mean... ;+).
Badda boom!

As to your "stalker" question, though there are many fine folks here I would enjoy meeting (so long as they don't judge me by playing (dis)ability, I think I have only met two GbLers in the flesh.
That's rule #1 at the Michigan Jam. All ego's are checked at the door and everyone is encouraged to get up and give it their best shot. Heck, they let me come back!
I got to spend a couple of afternoons with Thom/zombywoof, and I've met Bassman Bill numerous times. I've seen his band RAGS on several occasions, and I've had him do set-ups on both my Leo-era basses, and on my early SC-2. I'm proud to count both of these fine gents among my friends.
Everybody loves Bill and Thom from what I hear!

Great start! - ed
Thanks, Ed.

Mon May 21, 2012 8:11 pm

zapcosongs wrote:Hey Ches - Great to see you at the helm again. I will send you a set of strings if you can get Mr. Omar to accept the Second Highest Honor from you later this week. (I just ordered a bunch of D'Addario 10-46 sets of da 'Bay).

Sorry I'm late. Crazy day. Just got back from my kid's Elem. school Orchestra concert. My oldest (at my wife's powerful suggestion) has taken up violin - setting him back about 9 months in his learning guitar (didn't have time for both given swim team and drama stuff).

Regarding your finish question, I really don't sweat guitar finishes. I sound like an advanced beginner on whatever instrument I play, so this stuff is really beyond me. I will say that having more choices can only bode well for the consumer as well as the company. I do agree with our Scott friend that the old car colours are great. Gimme a Legacy Special or HB in Belair or Surf Green, Sonic Blue, whatever. Beautiful. Though I do like thin, I get mine with a little extra, if you know what I mean... ;+).

ed, your kid has not lost time learning guitar, the violin will actually help him, he'll be a much more accurate player. better fine motor control.

when people ask you if you have lost some ponds, say "yes, but my wife has found them, so we are all good". :mrgreen:

i like thin finishes, mainly to show the natural aging of the guitar, and nitro feels better to me on the body of the guitar. my favorite is tru oil, french polish and shellac. very fragile finishes, but look very nice and feel even better. i am curious to try the new nena finishes, what they feel like in person.

Mon May 21, 2012 8:20 pm

louis cyfer wrote:
zapcosongs wrote:Hey Ches - Great to see you at the helm again. I will send you a set of strings if you can get Mr. Omar to accept the Second Highest Honor from you later this week. (I just ordered a bunch of D'Addario 10-46 sets of da 'Bay).

ed, your kid has not lost time learning guitar, the violin will actually help him, he'll be a much more accurate player. better fine motor control.

when people ask you if you have lost some ponds, say "yes, but my wife has found them, so we are all good". :mrgreen:

i like thin finishes, mainly to show the natural aging of the guitar, and nitro feels better to me on the body of the guitar. my favorite is tru oil, french polish and shellac. very fragile finishes, but look very nice and feel even better. i am curious to try the new nena finishes, what they feel like in person.

That's a great point about the violin helping with fine motor control. I bet you're right.

I like thin finishes, too. It might just be my imagination, but I think the guitar feels more alive. That said, I had a Legacy with a bullet-proof poly finish that resonated like a bell. What a great guitar . . .

Mon May 21, 2012 8:30 pm

ches, i agree that i can feel more resonance in thinner finished guitar in general, whether it amounts to an audible difference, i have no idea. my 84 sq squier strat has a bullet proof finish and it is very resonant. so is my bluesboy, and that has a nice thick poly finish that will look new til the day i die i am sure of it.