May 19 - It's a flail but what the heck report

Fri May 18, 2012 3:17 pm

Thought I would throw out a lunch report quick. Is everybody really slammed? Things are crazy for around here. My wife is taking a new job, and just have her two-weeks notice today. So I have a trip to Portland OR in my future. I have to go to NoVa on Monday for quick project kickoff.

I am running ragged, it seems like. Looking forward to the weekend. My non G&L question is: What are doing this weekend?

I would like to go fishing, I love the rivers, but I am neck deep in landscaping projects so I am going to keep my back to wheel on that. I am installing a sprinkler and drip system for big chunks of my lot. In the front I am planting grass on two sections one 85 x 125 feel and the other 40 x 71 feet. I am also installing drip in some flower beds and my vegetable garden and on some tree's.

G&L question? Is anybody giggin' there G&L this weekend? Darwin said he's likely to get 20 gig's scheduled, and it's already almost June. I am going to do some 'Grade A' practice tomorrow morning, before taking my daughter to a birthday party.

Have a great weekend all.

Oh, I am looking forward to having an experienced reporter who hasn't pitched a week since before I started coming around—should be fun!

Re: May 19 - It's a flail but what the heck report

Fri May 18, 2012 3:29 pm

Oh, it's not the 19th. Crap.

Fri May 18, 2012 5:09 pm

I'm hoping for a quiet weekend. I have errands to run tomorrow and friends coming over on Sunday. I hope to get some practice time in.

Ken

Fri May 18, 2012 5:29 pm

Nice pick up Jeremy. Things are totally crazy here too - I have three major assignments and three lab reports due on Wednesday as well as a major test that same day. This week has been filled with 14 hour days and is the first that I have ever felt properly stressed, so much so that I've given in to an old habit and bought my first pack of smokes for two years (no lectures please ;) )....

I'm gigging tonight - it's Saturday here. We have a gig in the neighboring state of New South Wales. It's a country ball that we did last year, it was the best fun gig I've ever played AND is very well paid with a limitless endless food and drink rider. But while it will be great to blow off a bit of steam from the week, l could really use the time to get some work done. My weekend starts in an hour, I drive for 6 hours, set up, check in to the motel, shower, eat drink and play for 4 hours, sleep and then drive back.

Enjoy diggin' them holes! Maybe you'll find buried treasure somewhere - according to a TV ad I saw recently you're more likely to find treasure than win the lottery.

Fri May 18, 2012 5:31 pm

no gigs this weekend, it's the last weekend of the ren fair, going there. it's been crazy around here, plus darwin got me sick too.

i am definitely looking forward to ches' lr next week.

Fri May 18, 2012 6:06 pm

Somehow Jamie's report contrasting his weekend and mine (digging) reminds me of a saying this rancher, a neighbor of my grand parents and who I did some custom farming for when I was in high school and college and it is very sage weekend advise:

"There is no such thing as good diggin' or bad whiskey"

Mysteriously, this tid-bit always did make my digging go better!

Louis, I hope you kick your bug in a hurry. j

Fri May 18, 2012 7:40 pm

It's almost the 19th here, so you get a pass ;+). Frankly, there are lots of days I'm not certain which day it is. What is our obsession with the date, anyways? Just another spin of the blue marble, among countless many....

Weekend: This evening, we went to our kids' school to see the oldest in the school play, Oliver. I can relate to Oliver. I always want some more.... ;+)

Funny you mention fishing. Tomorrow, our Cub Scout Pack is having a fishing outing. Did we pay the six dollars for bait and admission? Nope! The lake where this event happens to be is none other than the one I can see through the trees of my bedroom window. Me and the oldest will get into our canoe on the AM, and meet the others at the fishing pier at the far side of the lake (505 acres). We don't need no stinking bait. The fish aren't that smart, and will bit on plastic and metal bits, properly presented.

Late in the afternoon, there is the annual Fair at the school. Picture games, blow-up bouncy things, popcorn, cotton candy, hot dogs, crafts, temporary tats, etc. Somehow, this event always requires lots of cash, but some of it goes to the school, and they sure as hell need it.

Sunday is the last day of Sunday School for the year. Maybe we'll see my folks afterwards. They will enjoy their grand kids, but will not remember seeing us after we leave. We are all learning to live in the moment. Isn't that what it's all about, anyway?

Funny too that you should mention gardening. We've purchased a number of flats of impatiens that need to go in (we have lots of shade). The veggie garden (for which we use our neighbor's sunny property and give them half of everything in compensation) is starting to come along. More work to do there too.

G&L Question: I don't gig. Nobody wants to hear me play. But I can dream, no? Thanks again! - ed

Sat May 19, 2012 4:05 am

Hey SBNT,

Well now it is the 19th so i don't mind being late to the party 8-)

My wife and i were gardening till sundown last night - she really has a green thumb, and the house looks beautiful when she's done.... But man, what a lot of hard work! I am glad it is done.

Up here in Canada it is a long weekend for us.... We call it the May two-four weekend (technically Victoria Day Weekend) but any reference to a long weekend and beer sounds way cooler! I am just about trying to straighten out my stiff back and head down the boat for the weekend. The weather looks great and the beer is cold.....

Gigs - Its funny you bring that up, I played on Thursday night this week - On a Boat! The local radio station kicks off the summer with a "Party Cruise" that we got invited to play this year. We were tucked up in the bow, in a 10x10 little area and rocked out while this boat toured lake ontario and the 1000 islands.

Now i don't know if any of you have played on a moving stage before, but holy cow is it funny! Out in lake Ontario there were good 5-6 foot waves so the boat was moving around pretty good... i literally almost fell over! The drummer actually completely missed his snare at one point... but it was a lot of fun (and we had a captive audience :happy0065: )

But i must say that when the setting sun hit the SC-2 it was a pretty cool sight 8-)

Have a great weekend all, and a great long weekend to my fellow Canucks.

Scott