Lunch Report - Wed May 16, 2012

Wed May 16, 2012 8:02 pm

OK, Will here. Lunch was Cheap Sushi Wednesday's at Byerly's today. Byerly's is a grocery store in Minneapolis...

So, my front Roval Fusée Star wheel partially exploded this morning. Expensive, but hopefully warrantied due to being serviced the day before @ Eric's Bike Shop. Sounded like an explosion, really. Any cycler's out there. I bike for exercise only and a fair weather one at that...

G&L Q: Should there be more company sponsored gatherings like in the "old" days? I'd go and it could be a nice way to roll-out new ideas from the factory...

Cheers,

Will

Re: Lunch Report - Wed May 16, 2012

Wed May 16, 2012 9:58 pm

I used to bike 55km six days a week during the warm season but then I had a crash and was cold on cycling for years. I've only started up again this year and I'm trying some dirt riding (nothing too technical, mind you). I have the good fortune of living less than two minutes ride from a network of mixed use paved trails that branch off into a series of fun dirt trails. I've noticed that riding off road uses different muscles and I am discovering whole new ways of being sore.

As for company sponsored gatherings... I'd love to see one here in Toronto. Wonder if there are enough G&L players here to merit one.

Thu May 17, 2012 12:30 am

So, my front Roval Fusée Star wheel partially exploded this morning.

Ouch...I take it your intact?
I've had a frame break once , luckily it was a low speed experience. I used to ride everyday, everywhere.
I bought a Trance V2 a couple years ago, looks like the 18 month rainy season is over here in the NW so I'll pull it off the trainer.

G&L Q: Should there be more company sponsored gatherings like in the "old" days? I'd go and it could be a nice way to roll-out new ideas from the factory...

Definitely, they should get out more often :lol:

Thanks for the late night report Will.

Thu May 17, 2012 5:38 am

I would love to see some G&L gatherings. In fact i would love to see anything more G&L! Maybe a clinic, a information night at the local dealer... or have a rep bring in a bunch of stuff to demo to give more people the chance to get their hands on these things.

Thanks for stepping up today (wait i mean yesterday! :) )

Scott

Thu May 17, 2012 6:46 am

Hey Will,

Thanks for picking up the LR and keep it going. I'm Dutch so bicycling is as natural to me as the gills behind my ears that only recently evolved away (after all, I was born below sea level. How would you otherwise expect us Dutchies to breath? ;)) But whereas practically everything in NL is flat (the largest 'hills' I ever climbed were the ramps of viaduct) biking in Seattle is different. Everything here is 'up that hill'. But I still love it. I have a Bianchi commuter bike, included splash guards and luggage rack in the back, so I am most definitely a recreational pedaler.

I would love to see more gatherings too. Not only would you have a chance to find fellow G&L aficionados there, but the opportunity to be a soundboard for the factory would be great too. As far as clinics go, maybe G&L should send Brown aka louis cyfer on a tour around the country to different stores. The man can play and truly appreciates G&L's.

- Jos

Thu May 17, 2012 7:34 am

Thanks for checking in last night Will. I had the band ladies here last night working on new material so I'm late to the party.

Sorry about the wheel incident. Did you hit a pot hole? Yeas ago in SE Mpls, my brother hit a parked car in the rear with his bike. It buckled the frame and it was the end of his biking. He was okay. My biking is the Gold Wing. It should hit 150,000 mile next month and that has been 150,000 of pure enjoyment.

I would like to see a G&L event at the dealer like a road show. There are a few GLDP'rs in Minnesota and it would be fun to get together.

I had mentioned the new stage lights earlier this week. The ladies used them last night and they love them. I lucked out as neither of them like bright lights and I was worried that they would think they were too bright. have a great day everyone!-- Darwin

Thu May 17, 2012 6:37 pm

Thanks much for stepping up, Will.

Biking: Sorry to hear of your equipment issue. I bet you get it resolved in your favor under the circumstances. I enjoy riding, especially now that the weather is favorable. It's tough for me to get motivated in the Winter. My bike isn't real fancy - a Specialized Global something or other. It's kind of a cross between a trail and street bike, at home in most any situation. When I was younger, I used to put miles on a 1970's - era Pugeot. I still have it, but it needs some TLC in order to become roadworthy once again.... http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k156/ ... =slideshow

Though I would certainly love to see more company-sponsored events, I think get-togethers would be more likely to occur if WE make them happen. Then the company (if it is smart - which it can certainly be) could choose to join the party. There are many, many good folks here that I would enjoy meeting. Even if I can't play worth cr*p, maybe I could find a song or two that might be worth a listen. Regardless, I'd be most pleased to buy a round or three. - ed

Thu May 17, 2012 7:05 pm

willross wrote: Any cycler's out there. I bike for exercise only and a fair weather one at that...

I bought a rack for my car last weekend, and am waiting for a new rear wheel for my mountain bike. It went way out of round a couple of years ago, and with the demands of work and parenthood I just never got around to fixing it. This will be my first "store-bought" wheel in 25 years. I used to build my own in my serious cycling days, but now I'm just as happy to spend the time playing guitar.

I have two bikes I bought shortly after graduating from college. I was living in San Diego at the time. Finding a road bike (a Centurion Ironman) was easy enough, but at that time I actually had to search for a store that sold mountain bikes. I ended up with a Nishiki Cascade, which is still stock except for the stem and now the rear wheel. It will be strange getting out on the trails again and realizing my bike is older than many of the adult riders!

zapcosongs wrote:Though I would certainly love to see more company-sponsored events, I think get-togethers would be more likely to occur if WE make them happen.

Ed, any ideas where we could do a DC-area get-together? I'm sure we could round up Bassman and at least a couple of other folks. I would offer my place, but it's not soundproof and the neighbors are pretty close...

Ken

Thu May 17, 2012 7:15 pm

KenC wrote:Ed, any ideas where we could do a DC-area get-together? I'm sure we could round up Bassman and at least a couple of other folks. I would offer my place, but it's not soundproof and the neighbors are pretty close...
Ken

Yeah, Bassman's place! LOL!!!! - ed

Actually, might be able to swing it here, but things are going to be crazy this summer. Two, week-long visits from friends in Germany touring the US (one week in mid-June, one in early August), two kids with Swim Team and camps, two addled old folks, etc. But not out of the question. Like to canoe, kayak, fish? Got a lake in the back yard. Great place for a party, but things are a real mess right now, literally....

Thu May 17, 2012 7:24 pm

i like bikes but i don't like to pedal. so i have a couple of mountain bikes, nothing great, 500-600 dollar range, and the doggies pull me. they love doing it for exercise.
when there is no doggie, then it's time for an engine to pedal. i have a honda vfr interceptor.

will i sure hope you are ok after the crash. i am not sure if staying rubber down is possible when the wheel explodes on you. those are some nice and pricey wheels, they should not do that.

i would love company sponsored gatherings, even if they did them at the factory, but they should go to dealers as well. it would be a great way for g&l to keep a pulse on what the players want, and the players up to date on what they are cooking up. i think there is a little disconnect from g&l and the customers currently, they try to keep the customers at an arms length through the dealers. i think company sponsored gatherings would go a long way to help.

interesting side note, my guitar tech was a professional rider in his younger days, still knows a lot of the big name riders (older ones of course). he rode for canondale back when they were first starting out.

Thu May 17, 2012 7:27 pm

zapcosongs wrote: Like to canoe, kayak, fish? Got a lake in the back yard. Great place for a party, but things are a real mess right now, literally....

Yes to all three. I'm planning to pick up boat adapters for the new car roof rack. I've been out here a year now, about a block from the river, and haven't gotten onto the water yet. Hopefully that changes over the next couple of weeks.

Ken

Thu May 17, 2012 7:45 pm

Once you get the water in your veins, it may be hard to live without thereafter. Enjoy! -ed

Fri May 18, 2012 8:42 am

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I didn't crash the bike. The rim cracked/exploded on it's own. My understanding is that the spokes were improperly tightened, throwing the balance off. I have a spare on there now and still waiting for news on the warranty...

So, DC it is for the next Jam. I'll rent a bus and we can pick people up along the way...

Cheers,

Will

Fri May 18, 2012 1:01 pm

About a G&L jam here in the DC area: we could all show up at any number of open mike jams in the area. Like the Old Bowie Grill on Wednesday nights or one of the D.C .Blues Society jams held at various times and places. My L-2000 is always ready,

I thought the original question was directed at a G&L get together at the G&L factory. Like the ones in 2006 0r 2007.
That would be sweet and I would do my best to get there this time.

Fri May 18, 2012 1:40 pm

Oh, at the factory? Sign me up. Although I'd like to be able to leave there with a new guitar too...

Cheers,

Will

Fri May 18, 2012 2:13 pm

Will- If you look under Gallery, and G&L Jams and Open Houses, You will see the pictures from the 2007 and 2008 factory sponsored 'get togethers.'

I wish that could've made it out to the West Coast back then. I was paying too much college tuition at the time.

Fri May 18, 2012 3:15 pm

I am starting a project for the Marine Corp and will be in the greater DC area some over the next year. It would be great fun to bring a fiddle and hit a jam and meet some other music and G&L nuts.

We are just in the project design stage, and I don't know exactly how the project is going to go.

Jeremy

Fri May 18, 2012 3:24 pm

Excellent Jeremy. Keep us advised. If you don't feel like bringing a guitar in your luggage, I can give you one to borrow for the duration of your stay, no problem! -ed

Fri May 18, 2012 5:18 pm

Jeremy,

You mentioned a trip to NoVa on Monday on today's (or was it tomorrow's :lol: ) LR. Did you mean Northern Virginia, or is there another NoVA?

Ken

Fri May 18, 2012 5:54 pm

Northern Virginia it is! I have a project kickoff meeting Tuesday so I am doing a brutal 2 day-er. But I will be back out there to actually do some work over the next year.

edit: Ed, I will post on here what my program will be when I know more. jg

Fri May 18, 2012 6:26 pm

Thanks for the "edit." Ha!

I have one of my own: I can also loan you a nice little amp. Should have mentioned that...

- ed (tired but not sick)