Monday May 14th 2012 - Late Lunch Report

Mon May 14, 2012 1:12 pm

Another gorgeous day. Not a cloud in the sky. Lunch was crackers, peanut butter, strawberries and a banana. I'm slumming it in the food department, not so much so in the work department. In fact, I'm rather working in style. I've set up an old laptop on the back deck, opened the kitchen window and am pumping music through an iPod tethered to a radio. The dog is crashed out on a chair next to me. The cat is pacing from the living room to the kitchen door, pawing at the mosquito netting, supremely vexed that she cannot join me and the pup on the patio.

I always have music on when i work. Usually, I just set up iTunes or an iPod and I shuffle through my library. Sometimes I'll tune in an internet radio station that plays ambient or electronic music when I'm facing a deadline and I need a driving beat that doesn't distract. What about you? Today's G&L question: when you're doing non-musical work do you have music playing or is it too much of a distraction for you because you pay too much attention?

For today's G&L question. I don't know if this has been discussed before but should G&L expand beyond the company's range of stomp boxes and offer amplifiers? Are there any old Leo or George designs out there that could use resurrection? Would there be any benefit to amps that are specifically voiced to G&L guitars? That take advantage of the benefits of the PTB system?

Your thoughts and insights are welcome.

Re: Monday May 14th 2012 - Late Lunch Report

Mon May 14, 2012 1:46 pm

I clearly have time to kill today. Much of my time is w/out music. Even while driving I usually have the radio/CD/etc turned off. Not saying there isn't music in my head, but I like silence too... Amps? That Whipper Snapper model has my interest, but I'm amped-out right now. I use a couple Soldano's that cover everything on my playlist these days.

Cheers,

Will

Mon May 14, 2012 1:49 pm

I didn't know about the Whippersnapper. Why is it on hold? Anybody? Anybody?

Mon May 14, 2012 2:09 pm

Hi guys.. if I have to concentrate then the music has to go off! Cant do multitasking!
.... about the G&L amp,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlRsJPwKKYM
heres a video demo of one.. sounds nice. I think it would be a great idea, maybe based on those early Music Man models? Often wonder what Leo used amp wise in the design of the guitars as it must have had a bearing on the sound he was after, would he use the same amp for everything? What amps do they use today in the design stages of new G&L's
john

Mon May 14, 2012 2:16 pm

found some more infornation and spec here but it doesnt appear to have become available. No doubt someone will have better info to share......
http://www.guitaradoptions.com/g-l-whipper-snapper-amp.html

john

Mon May 14, 2012 2:25 pm

I love music when I work, too. But If i really have to concentrate. It's gotta go.

I think the amp market is totally covered, unless you have a really new idea. The Whipper Snapper has been rumored for a while, but I don't know more than that.

Mon May 14, 2012 2:39 pm

oneeyedog wrote: Often wonder what Leo used amp wise in the design of the guitars as it must have had a bearing on the sound he was after, would he use the same amp for everything? What amps do they use today in the design stages of new G&L's
john

IIRC Leo was in love with the hawaiian slide guitar sound.
I think FMIC missed the mark by re-issueing the LeoFender Lap steel version 1;
with the strings going thru the pickup.

The early champ pickups and amps were an obvious improvement over the late 40's Fender/White creations, and I bet Leo had an epic Eureka moment once things got dialed in.
I'd love to see G&L put out a small 5-15 watt amp (maybe with a slave out for gigs without a PA ) that was Leo solid but available to those that don't have a couple grand to try out a new amp, maybe in the 500-600 dollar range .
A matching long scale G&L Lap steel made in the style of Early 80's G&L's (crinkle black hardware, square MFDs, little gold sticker ... ) would be an over the top tribute in my book.
Last edited by Elwood on Mon May 14, 2012 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 14, 2012 2:49 pm

I used to have music going all the time. Now I am much like Will and like quiet time while driving, especially after a gig. I think a lot when I'm driving and I enjoy the quiet.

I think the amp market is already saturated. There is almost anything you would ever need available. I think they made a good decision in holding the Whippersnapper. My last amp was the little Valve train with the Spring Thing reverb tank. it is a cool little amp and would sound great miked. They seem to be overpriced a bit but the cabinets are masterpieces for furniture. My experience with Musicman amps has not impressed me either. A friend of mine has a musicman 4 -10 and he put JBL's in it and it still does not sound great to me. I have yet to hear a better clean than my Twin Reverb custom 15. -- Darwin

Mon May 14, 2012 5:53 pm

The Whippersnapper came up a little while back, and according to Craig it's still on the cards, but the name has been changed to the Spandra :? The prototype cupboard at G&L must be close to bursting! I'd like to see one some day, I don't currently have a small low powered valve amp.

Mon May 14, 2012 7:01 pm

I'm all over the place with my at-work listening. Currently I share an office and sound carries into the corridor easily, so I'm a bit restrained in my selection. In the office right now I have several late-50s Coltrane discs, from the days when he still played inside the changes most of the time. If I really need to focus on what I'm doing and bothering neighbors isn't a concern, I tend to go with very fast, dissonant free jazz. Something about the chaos blocks the rest of the world out and helps me narrow in on what I'm trying to figure out.

My introduction to the Black Keys a month or two ago was from an office-mate's listening. I bought a copy of the disc on my way home that evening.

Shuffling my iPod doesn't work for me. The mixture is so diverse that very little of the music goes well back-to-back.

I would definitely consider a G&L amp, as long as the price was reasonable.

Ken

Mon May 14, 2012 7:11 pm

I sometimes like music when I work. When I listen in the car, it's classic rock or the Sirius smooth jazz station.

I really like my Mesa Boogie amps. I don't see changing brands anytime soon, though I often think I'd like a Marshall-voiced amp. Another favorite amp I owned was a 1964 BF Tremolux in blond tolex. The 35 watts with a saggy tube rectifier and the 210 closed-back cab was perfect for most club gigs, more clean headroom than the 1965 DR I had, yet a juicy pushed tone.

I think if BBE is going to make an amp, I think it would be better to introduce a bass amp.

Bill

Tue May 15, 2012 10:36 am

A Bass amp!
That's a great suggestion, Bill.

I can see bass players buying a small, BBE engineered bass amp coupled with an innovative cabinet design.

That's a market that BBE/G&L could do well in.