Monday May 7th Breakfast Report

Mon May 07, 2012 9:30 am

Good morning, folks. Glad to be back in the saddle as your lunch reporter. It’s been a while since we last chatted, so here’s a bit of an update. In the year since I last hosted the lunch report, I’ve lost about 60 pounds and I am halfway to my weight loss goal. I’ve plateaued at 225 but that’s mostly because I’ve abandoned the no-carb diet that helped me get here. The diet would have made the lunch reports rather dull because I was essentially allowed only meat and green veggies. I have adapted the diet, however, by adding fruit and a wider variety of vegetables and I am still trying to keep to the low-carb portion because it really works. At the moment, the breakfast portion of my day is closet to that ideal, which is why I’m writing a breakfast report today.

Today, like most other days, I had... EGGS. My usual allotment is one or two free-run eggs augmented with egg beaters (eggs in a milk carton). As a side I had a cup of salsa, one small sliced cucumber and four pickled asparagus stalks. It was delicious and hearty. During the course of the diet, I’ve monitored my cholesterol and find that it hasn’t changed. And until Easter, this kind of breakfast satisfied me, as I wouldn’t have cravings for snacks. But after Easter that all changed.

Until Easter, I was fairly good about keeping carbs to a minimum. Sure I’d indulge in a carb holiday here and there if we went out for a meal, but generally, I cut bread out of my life entirely and after a few days I found myself not craving it anymore. But since Easter, I’ve been having bread pretty much every day and the truth is, the more I eat, the more I want. I have to get it under control again. So here’s today’s first question:

Do you get carb cravings and, if so, how do you deal with them?

Moving on to the morning’s G&L question: (I’m sure others have asked this but here goes, anyway)

Some people complain about the swimming pool rout used in the Legacy. Some say that this routing is not only lazy manufacturing but also has an impact on tone. Has anybody put this to the test? While I realize that there are other factors impacting sound (e.g flame top, different pickups) is there a tonal difference between the standard Legacy and the Legacy deluxe because the pickups have contact with the wood? Does is really matter if the pickups are screwed to the pickguard and that there is air behind them? Are pick-up height and the way the bridge is anchored more important determinants of tone. I’d love to hear from any of you who have played both.

Also, what about the ASAT III? Does it have a swimming pool rout as well or are the pups bolted to the body?

For today’s non-G&L question: Do you prefer tube amps with or without a gain stage? A lot of reviews of tube amps I read discuss gain and how tone starts to break up as gain/volume increase. For the most part, I like a very clean shimmering sound, but every once in a while I like a darker/edgier sound. So how do you achieve this without going to ear-splitting levels and pushing the volume and gain? I am very sensitive to noise and play with musicians plugs but for the sake of my other half I don’t want to be pumping out 100 db or more just to get the tone that I want.

And speaking of earsplitting: I was sent this by a friend and fellow sci-fi geek. What I love about this young gentleman is that disarming smile he occasionally flashes as he plays. Also, at about 00:47 and 1:31 he sweep picks/taps so fast that I am convinced that he starts to time travel. Enjoy!

[youtube]ucDQlnvU5FM[/youtube]

Re: Monday May 7th Breakfast Report

Mon May 07, 2012 9:55 am

CGT, your topic today is something that many people struggle with. The fact that you cholesterol hasn't changed doesn't surprise me. I think we are predisposed genetically to a lot of these factors. I believe the only way for significant cholesterol change is with medications to do so. I also think that we are predisposed in our weight to some degree. That means if we don't overeat we are pretty much what we should be and I think that is okay. I believe that is not true for everyone. This is a constant struggle for some and those who do not have weight issues are fortunate. I am recovering from a cold/flu that I have had for a couple of weeks and have been eating well but have still lost weight. When I start walking a lot I eat more and lose weight. My metabolism changes and I feel much better. I feel much better when I am more active. It all requires discipline and lifestyle changes to make it stick. I am glad it is working for you and keep it up!

I am not easily convinced that routing makes a difference in tone, and body vibrations have virtually no effect on magnetic pickups in my opinion. I like the bathtub routing as it gives a person all kinds of options. It would only have an effect if you were using micro-phonic type pickups such as use for acoustic applications. Pickup shielding and metal pickguards will have an effect on magnetic pickups but the routing should have no effect in my opinion. If you have a bathtub routing, pickguard assemblies can be changed in minutes for a whole different sound. Great start Chet!== Darwin
Last edited by darwinohm on Mon May 07, 2012 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 07, 2012 10:48 am

I think we are predisposed genitally to a lot of these factors.

Darwin, why are you discussing your genitals in a Breakfast report? :happy0007:

Mon May 07, 2012 12:01 pm

+1

Mon May 07, 2012 12:03 pm

darwinohm wrote:CGT, your topic today is something that many people struggle with. The fact that you cholesterol hasn't changed doesn't surprise me. I think we are predisposed genitally to a lot of these factors. I believe the only way for significant cholesterol change is with medications to do so. I also think that we are predisposed in our weight to some degree. That means if we don't overeat we are pretty much what we should be and I think that is okay. I believe that is not true for everyone. This is a constant struggle for some and those who do not have weight issues are fortunate. I am recovering from a cold/flu that I have had for a couple of weeks and have been eating well but have still lost weight. When I start walking a lot I eat more and lose weight. My metabolism changes and I feel much better. I feel much better when I am more active. It all requires discipline and lifestyle changes to make it stick. I am glad it is working for you and keep it up!

I am not easily convinced that routing makes a difference in tone, and body vibrations have virtually no effect on magnetic pickups in my opinion. I like the bathtub routing as it gives a person all kinds of options. It would only have an effect if you were using micro-phonic type pickups such as use for acoustic applications. Pickup shielding and metal pickguards will have an effect on magnetic pickups but the routing should have no effect in my opinion. If you have a bathtub routing, pickguard assemblies can be changed in minutes for a whole different sound. Great start Chet!== Darwin

that would be true if the body was isolated from the strings. but the strings interact with the body, and it is the tone after that interaction that the pups pick up. it is a flawed model that the pup is magnetic, therefore, the wood does not matter. in that case whatever guitar you put a pup in would sound the same, and that is not the case. the body vibrations have an affect on the string, not the pup. might want to re-examine how it works.

Mon May 07, 2012 12:23 pm

cgt, what form of exercise are you doing along with the diet? depending on that, the reason why things slowed down might have a different reason, and also explain the cravings.

Mon May 07, 2012 1:36 pm

I WAS going to the gym 5 times a week, 45 minutes on the elliptical followed by some core exercises. Now I'm doing 30 minutes twice a week because of a recent work change but trying to get back to 5 times a week again.

Mon May 07, 2012 2:32 pm

The body only interacts with the strings through the bridge, right? And is it true the the tiny pickup vibrations have a negligible effect on tone? I will do some thinking on this, but that seems to be the case to me.

I don't think that a bathtub route would make much of a difference to tone. But I really don't know.

Darwin, I am glad you are on the up swing! I know these long nights are tough. But I am wondering about some strange bugs with the early spring.

Cravings? Anything that is bad for you I have cravings for...

Mon May 07, 2012 2:35 pm

Sauve Eddie wrote

after I wrote

Good thing someone is keeping an eye on what I am doing or I could get myself in trouble!!!!!! :shocked003: :shocked003: -- Darwin

Mon May 07, 2012 2:44 pm

Louis Wrote
that would be true if the body was isolated from the strings. but the strings interact with the body, and it is the tone after that interaction that the pups pick up. it is a flawed model that the pup is magnetic, therefore, the wood does not matter. in that case whatever guitar you put a pup in would sound the same, and that is not the case. the body vibrations have an affect on the string, not the pup. might want to re-examine how it works.

I agree with that Louis. That is a secondary result of the string interaction but would have very little effect from the bathtub route. You are correct in the end that the the woods do matter.-- Darwin

Mon May 07, 2012 4:07 pm

If anyone can hear a guitar has a swimming pool route without knowing that is has a swimming pool route then I guess it'd make a difference. Until I meet someone who can do that then no, it doesn't.

sickbutnottired wrote:Cravings? Anything that is bad for you I have cravings for...

Me too. I crave for cigarettes and coffee for breakfast every time I walk past someone smoking at a cafe.

Mon May 07, 2012 4:31 pm

I am not sure about the routing and whether it affects tone. I can say as I have been a personal trainer for 20 years if you are burning less calories now than you were then your weight loss will slow down.May I please suggest the following keep turning up at the gym the same amount of times in the week as you were . I know it's not easy but it's not meant to be. if you have less time available work harder in less time. You see with physical work you can choose to work HARD or LONG you just can't choose to do both at once.
I use this approach for my Strength workouts , one set on each body part - so pick about 5 - 7 exercises and your workout takes only 15 minutes. You must lift with good technique - remember hard or long. It's easy with weight you can just lift heavier. On the X Trainer just lift the level. Your eating plan sounds really good ,no wonder you're losing weight. One last thing you do have a healthy heart.
Cheers
Anthony

Mon May 07, 2012 4:45 pm

CGT wrote:In the year since I last hosted the lunch report, I’ve lost about 60 pounds and I am halfway to my weight loss goal.

Good for you. I've lost just over 50 pounds over the last year just by cutting calories. I reached my goal weight and went about 10 lbs under for safe measure. I'm holding firm at 185. I tried reduced carb diets before but never had any long term success. Sounds like you've got it under control. Fantastic!

I do crave carbs from time to time, but since I haven't cut them out completely I find I don't crave them very much at all. If I OD on carbs I usually feel like crap, so that helps to keep my cravings in check.

CGT wrote:Moving on to the morning’s G&L question: (I’m sure others have asked this but here goes, anyway)
Some people complain about the swimming pool rout used in the Legacy. Some say that this routing is not only lazy manufacturing but also has an impact on tone. Has anybody put this to the test?

If Eric Johnson can tell the difference between brands of 9 volt batteries in his effect pedals, I'm sure he can tell the difference between a bathtub route and individual routing. (right.) For the average Joe, I'd have to weigh in on the side that says there are too many other things that can affect tone to make a firm determination that a bathtub route has a huge effect. I think it's a convenient route for tinkerers!

CGT wrote:And speaking of earsplitting: I was sent this by a friend and fellow sci-fi geek. What I love about this young gentleman is that disarming smile he occasionally flashes as he plays. Also, at about 00:47 and 1:31 he sweep picks/taps so fast that I am convinced that he starts to time travel. Enjoy!

Generally not my cup of tea, but I can certainly appreciate the skill level. I wish I could play half that good!

Nice topics, and congrats on the weight loss!
Ches

Mon May 07, 2012 6:13 pm

CGT wrote:I WAS going to the gym 5 times a week, 45 minutes on the elliptical followed by some core exercises. Now I'm doing 30 minutes twice a week because of a recent work change but trying to get back to 5 times a week again.

from this i take it that you did not do resistance training for the whole body. as far as elliptical, i see less than 1/10th of 1% of people doing it correctly. so a lot of your weight loss comes from losing muscle. this means that your metabolism has slowed down significantly, and the same amount of caloric intake will no longer be enough. you have to actively engage the muscles to keep them when on a restricted calorie diet. at this point the best course of action would be to build back some of the muscle that you lost, and to stop focusing on losing weight, rather start focusing on changing body composition and losing body fat.

Mon May 07, 2012 6:17 pm

LeoF The Champion wrote:I am not sure about the routing and whether it affects tone. I can say as I have been a personal trainer for 20 years if you are burning less calories now than you were then your weight loss will slow down.May I please suggest the following keep turning up at the gym the same amount of times in the week as you were . I know it's not easy but it's not meant to be. if you have less time available work harder in less time. You see with physical work you can choose to work HARD or LONG you just can't choose to do both at once.
I use this approach for my Strength workouts , one set on each body part - so pick about 5 - 7 exercises and your workout takes only 15 minutes. You must lift with good technique - remember hard or long. It's easy with weight you can just lift heavier. On the X Trainer just lift the level. Your eating plan sounds really good ,no wonder you're losing weight. One last thing you do have a healthy heart.
Cheers
Anthony

i must disagree with the highlighted part. lifting heavier leads to bad form. increasing the weight requires building the muscle. using momentum, leverage to lift heavier does not get the desired effect. when only about 1% of personal trainers actually have proper form when lifting weights, it's pretty scary. i have been training personal trainers for 15 years.

Mon May 07, 2012 6:48 pm

Louis it is not the heavy lifting that is the problem .It is in not knowing ones strength limit. if you lift too heavy for your strength level then the brain will find an easier wat to do the lift. And then you have bad technique because cheating has already started

Mon May 07, 2012 7:19 pm

Ches wrote:
CGT wrote:
CGT wrote:And speaking of earsplitting: I was sent this by a friend and fellow sci-fi geek. What I love about this young gentleman is that disarming smile he occasionally flashes as he plays. Also, at about 00:47 and 1:31 he sweep picks/taps so fast that I am convinced that he starts to time travel. Enjoy!

Generally not my cup of tea, but I can certainly appreciate the skill level. I wish I could play half that good!

Ches

Not really my cup of tea either, but the one thing he has that so many shredders lack is a sense of humour. Plus the chops are impressive.

Mon May 07, 2012 7:20 pm

darwinohm wrote:Sauve Eddie wrote

after I wrote

Good thing someone is keeping an eye on what I am doing or I could get myself in trouble!!!!!! :shocked003: :shocked003: -- Darwin

Genitally speaking, of course, we can all get up to a lot of trouble, after all, this forum is mostly men, is it not?

Mon May 07, 2012 7:27 pm

louis cyfer wrote:
CGT wrote:I WAS going to the gym 5 times a week, 45 minutes on the elliptical followed by some core exercises. Now I'm doing 30 minutes twice a week because of a recent work change but trying to get back to 5 times a week again.

from this i take it that you did not do resistance training for the whole body. as far as elliptical, i see less than 1/10th of 1% of people doing it correctly. so a lot of your weight loss comes from losing muscle. this means that your metabolism has slowed down significantly, and the same amount of caloric intake will no longer be enough. you have to actively engage the muscles to keep them when on a restricted calorie diet. at this point the best course of action would be to build back some of the muscle that you lost, and to stop focusing on losing weight, rather start focusing on changing body composition and losing body fat.

Actually, Louis, the regime I was on was focused on changing body composition and losing body fat. Not only did I shed pounds but it was mostly weight and the percentage of fat in my BMI has dropped significantly. I'm looking at getting back into distance cycling once the weather gets nice (and I pick up a replacement fork for my hardtail in a couple of weeks). But you are right, I haven't been doing a lot of resistance training. The extra pounds put a lot of strain on the body so exercise caused a great deal of pain, as I shed the pounds I became more active and added some core strengthening exercises to my routine, but in the last few weeks I've had massive changes in my work routine so I am in the process of getting everything back into order and I will be adding strength training.

Mon May 07, 2012 7:32 pm

Ches wrote:
CGT wrote:In the year since I last hosted the lunch report, I’ve lost about 60 pounds and I am halfway to my weight loss goal.

Good for you. I've lost just over 50 pounds over the last year just by cutting calories. I reached my goal weight and went about 10 lbs under for safe measure. I'm holding firm at 185. I tried reduced carb diets before but never had any long term success. Sounds like you've got it under control. Fantastic!

I do crave carbs from time to time, but since I haven't cut them out completely I find I don't crave them very much at all. If I OD on carbs I usually feel like crap, so that helps to keep my cravings in check.

CGT wrote:Moving on to the morning’s G&L question: (I’m sure others have asked this but here goes, anyway)
Some people complain about the swimming pool rout used in the Legacy. Some say that this routing is not only lazy manufacturing but also has an impact on tone. Has anybody put this to the test?

If Eric Johnson can tell the difference between brands of 9 volt batteries in his effect pedals, I'm sure he can tell the difference between a bathtub route and individual routing. (right.) For the average Joe, I'd have to weigh in on the side that says there are too many other things that can affect tone to make a firm determination that a bathtub route has a huge effect. I think it's a convenient route for tinkerers!

Ches

Congrats back on the weight loss, Ches. I agree ODing on carbs does make me feel awful so I'm sure that I will get that aspect of my eating back under control.

As for Eric Johnson and the batteries. Is this the same Eric Johnson who suffers from tinnitus and therefore, most likely, some degree of hearing loss? I have to wonder about statements like that, especially given the mind's propensity to see or hear what it wants to. Still, if EJ said that any old battery would do, it would be a far less interesting statement and therefore less likely to become a meme. So, we can safely assume that, at the very least, he is fairly savvy at P.R.

Mon May 07, 2012 7:41 pm

darwinohm wrote:Louis Wrote

I agree with that Louis. That is a secondary result of the string interaction but would have very little effect from the bathtub route. You are correct in the end that the the woods do matter.-- Darwin

I think the whole swimming pool rout thing is another one of those myths that become fact because people just like to fight about things not being done they were done in the past.

Mon May 07, 2012 8:07 pm

CGT wrote:
louis cyfer wrote:

Actually, Louis, the regime I was on was focused on changing body composition and losing body fat. Not only did I shed pounds but it was mostly weight and the percentage of fat in my BMI has dropped significantly. I'm looking at getting back into distance cycling once the weather gets nice (and I pick up a replacement fork for my hardtail in a couple of weeks). But you are right, I haven't been doing a lot of resistance training. The extra pounds put a lot of strain on the body so exercise caused a great deal of pain, as I shed the pounds I became more active and added some core strengthening exercises to my routine, but in the last few weeks I've had massive changes in my work routine so I am in the process of getting everything back into order and I will be adding strength training.

how did you measure the bodyfat change? bmi always shows change in bodyfat, but it is grossly inaccurate. i am at 8% bodyfat and a 40 bmi. go figure.

Mon May 07, 2012 8:10 pm

CGT wrote:

I think the whole swimming pool rout thing is another one of those myths that become fact because people just like to fight about things not being done they were done in the past.

i am sure the amount of wood in the body makes a difference. any change makes a difference. whether it is audible, or significant, that is another issue.

Mon May 07, 2012 9:17 pm

I owned one Legacy for about a month and loved the tone. I am a firm believer that major differences in wood can affect tone (such as 'hog vs. ash or maple vs. basswood) but minor variations (ash vs. alder) probably don't have the dramatic effect that marketing departments claim. I can hear a difference between my maple Nighthawk and ash (I believe) Skyhawk, despite the pup and controls being identical. Although my project bass (an ash L-1000) is not wired up right now, I can feel a big difference between it and my 'hog L-1000 and hear it in the acoustic tone. They just resonate differently.

I have tried some cheap guitars with bathtub routing that had terrible resonance in the pickguard. It made them unplayable to me. I'd say that was a function of poor materials and sloppy construction, rather than an inherent flaw with the routing.

Ken

Tue May 08, 2012 2:08 am

Now, I'm not who normally would modify my guitars, but I think the pool route is a sensible idea, especially for the mfg. process, and for the modder. I think the biggest benefit though might be the slight weight reduction.

Now it is commendable, all you folks losing weight. But did you ever think about what happens to that weight, and where it goes? One of two things can happen.

Einstein tells us that mass IS energy, so when you lose weight it just goes out into the atmosphere as energy, aka heat. So all you LOSERS...please stop...you are a major cause of global warming! I'm actually saving your lives, and the planet by staying fat!

You can thank me later!

Or....

That mass HAS to go somewhere, or the Earth would get out of balance and spin into the sun. Very bad. So someone has to gain that lost weight.

Unfortunately, my body seems to be a collecting point! So thank you very much for your contributions! Not!

So help another fat man, brother. Save the planet and stay CHUNKY!

Bill

Tue May 08, 2012 4:22 am

a quick thought on swimming pool routs - surely the extreme version of that is an acoustic guitar?
some of them sound pretty good and most great sounding electrics in my experience sound very resonant unplugged....
Also I love my semi hollow guitars - maybe the rout is just a semi hollow in a different place?

Jeremy (very occasionally with an opinion to contribute about anything...)

Tue May 08, 2012 4:24 am

louis cyfer wrote:
CGT wrote:

i am sure the amount of wood in the body makes a difference. any change makes a difference. whether it is audible, or significant, that is another issue.

Yeah, I'm with Louie on this one.... I know that there is quite an audible difference between 2 identical guitars, 1 being solid body the other being semi hollow. Since the bathtub route is essentially a semi hollow chamber, i think it would affect the overall tone. Maybe not enough to really stand out and i am sure not enough to change a whole manufacturing process! But i think that there would be a subtle change.

Scott

Tue May 08, 2012 6:26 am

Boogie Bill wrote:Now, I'm not who normally would modify my guitars, but I think the pool route is a sensible idea, especially for the mfg. process, and for the modder. I think the biggest benefit though might be the slight weight reduction.

Now it is commendable, all you folks losing weight. But did you ever think about what happens to that weight, and where it goes? One of two things can happen.

Einstein tells us that mass IS energy, so when you lose weight it just goes out into the atmosphere as energy, aka heat. So all you LOSERS...please stop...you are a major cause of global warming! I'm actually saving your lives, and the planet by staying fat!

You can thank me later!

Or....

That mass HAS to go somewhere, or the Earth would get out of balance and spin into the sun. Very bad. So someone has to gain that lost weight.

Unfortunately, my body seems to be a collecting point! So thank you very much for your contributions! Not!

So help another fat man, brother. Save the planet and stay CHUNKY!

Bill
i think bill is right. i lost 60 lbs since october, and my buddy's wife seems to have found them. well, at least they didn't go to global warming :mrgreen:
another friend of mine, his wife said to him the other day "honey look i think i lost 5 lbs", to which my buddy replied " turn around honey, i think i have found them".
he is not even allowed on the couch, he is sleeping on the garage floor. i told him he is lucky he didn't say this a few months ago when it was really cold.

Tue May 08, 2012 6:33 am

gitman001 wrote:
louis cyfer wrote:
CGT wrote:

Yeah, I'm with Louie on this one.... I know that there is quite an audible difference between 2 identical guitars, 1 being solid body the other being semi hollow. Since the bathtub route is essentially a semi hollow chamber, i think it would affect the overall tone. Maybe not enough to really stand out and i am sure not enough to change a whole manufacturing process! But i think that there would be a subtle change.

Scott

i found it funny, that people hear the difference in chambered or semi hollow guitars, but don't think the bath tub route makes a difference. it definitely does. whether that difference matters, or if the change in tone is good or bad, is an individual thing. i think cgt is onto something, because people who think the bath tub route is automatically a bad thing, say so because it is not the traditional way, but it can easily improve tone as well.

ron kirn says it well, (i am paraphrasing) every change to the guitar changes the tone. it can be a very minor or a very major change. whether it is in a good or bad change, that is up to the player to decide.

Tue May 08, 2012 6:45 am

suave eddie wrote:

Maybe he's thinking about sausage..... - ed