Poll ended at Mon May 07, 2012 3:56 am

A G&L 12 String
50%
A G&L Jaguar/Jazzmaster body style
50%

Total votes : 16

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Thu May 03, 2012 3:56 am

The newest addition to the G&L family is my Semi-Hollow Comanche - 2 tone burst w/ wood binding,GOT neck and locking tuners.

I am always on the lookout for a good deal, and have been lucky enough this past year to find some. The Legacy, Special DLX and Comanche have set me back a combined total of $2460…. i think i have made out okay! So on to the question - Do you spend much (or any) time searching the internet for G&L deals? I personally check ebay at least once a day, somedays maybe even 3 or 4! So my answer would be yes, i spend quite a bit of time looking for G&L deals 8-)

The next question comes with regards to the poll. I would love a jazzmaster version of a G&L. So much so infact, I am very close to pulling the trigger on a warmoth body and neck and outfitting it with a large MFD and saddle lock bridge. So the question - Have you, or have any desire to, put together your own guitar from parts? And if you have what parts companies have you dealt with.

Looking forward to what everyone has to say….

Scott

Re: Thursday, May 3, 2012

Thu May 03, 2012 4:52 am

Hi Scott:

I'm always on the lookout but its hard being a lefty. Also, I have 7 guitars now and have decided that I should spent more time learning how to play them, ha.

I was going to be in the market for a 335 style jazz guitar, but that will have to wait. Also, will have to convince the boss, if and when the GBL special edition is ready to be ordered, so saving for that one, if a nice lefty is available.

I rebuilt a partscaster tele last year and I bought a body and some parts from warmoth, great stuff. Not cheap but great.

I have bought a number of G&L pickguards from chandler, since I need special lefty versions, they have been great.

i also buy from allparts or wdmusic for small stuff, knobs, screws, etc and strings and straps from stringsandbeyond. The only pickups I bought were for my bass and I bought those direct from dimarzio.

So far I havent had any issues buying these over the internet, nor any problems shipping them to canada.

Alf

Thu May 03, 2012 6:36 am

Your Comanche looks like a mean machine.
I'm eager to see the first GOT neck with wear marks and greying (or whatever color it goes to)
that come with years of devoted playing. They are all so new still.

I've put together alot instruments, though it's usually been from available parts I have leftover from previous projects.
I've been really loving a recent build...it's been my daily player since giving the Rampage a little rest.
I'll post a pic today ( found my camera cable) . It has a '77 ibanez silver series neck, on a homemade bass
body (mahogany with thick maple cap) 80's EMGs at the neck and middle, and a 50's fender lap steel pickup at the bridge. I used an old 40's radio switch for the 'expander' mod.

My next project is to pair a NOS gibson V2 neck (cone headstock) with a semi-hollow SG body I bought on ebay years ago. I'll use a maple fretboard, ibanez harmonica style bridge, I haven't decided on pickups.

The Jazzmaster body and Large MFDs seem like a perfect fit. You should do that !

Back when I can with pics,
have a good day,
Elwood

Thu May 03, 2012 8:13 am

I love the shape of Jazzmasters, but I'm always disappointed when I play one - the neck is odd, there are switches everywhere. That bridge, yikes. Best take on the Jazzmaster theme I've seen is the Reverend Slingshot. I'd love to own one, especially in this gorgeous faux birds eye maple finish. Looks just like a '50s dining table. It's a real shame they don't build these anymore.

Elwood, that guitar sounds dead cool, can't wait for photos :thumbup:

Thu May 03, 2012 5:44 pm

Scott, that Comanche is beautiful. I thought my Asat Z-3 was a class act and it is a G&L twin to yours in the Asat line.

The Jazzmaster is one of the Fenders I have not owned. I have been close on many but they have a design issue which has been improved in the recent version. The still do not have sustain and the controls are anything but intuitive. I would be open to a G&L Jazzmaster design with the big MFDs and the DF vibrato and it would be a done deal. The Jazzmaster trem was less than desirable.

I am also watching craigslist, e-bay and others for interesting things. I saw an S-500 like new on our local CL today and would love to have it as I dont' have that color but I really don't need another S-500. I am also waiting to see what develops on the GLBII. It seems to be on the back burner for some reason. Louis also has me lusting for a Duesenburg. I would love to get my hands on one. There have been some Fano's available locally but why would I buy a relic and that is all they have. Would you go for me dinging your guitar and then telling you it is worth more because it is reliced???? I don't get it. I spend hours researching and looking at guitars online. I have time.

G&L guitars are the best value in the world used. It is hard to pass anything up on the local CL as they come up in like new condition and they are good buys. Wish I could own them all. I am talking smart behind Ginnys back.

I agree with Blarg on the Reverand as being interesting. Alf, if you are seriously looking for a 335 type guitar do not forget to look at a Hamer Newport. The build quality is outstanding. Sometimes you can find a used one reasonable.

Here is my parts guitar. Have a great day everyone. It is an all American Deluxe Fender parts guitar with Lace Chrome Domes.-- Darwin

Thu May 03, 2012 9:17 pm

I think everybody knows how much I want a Comanche XII. The Jazzmaster is kind of a cool idea, but there are a lot of these and variants popping up. I think the Comanche XII would be unique.

I would like to see the Music Man Sabre/Cavalier body reissued. That is a sleeker design than the JM, and a very comfortable, ergonomic guitar to play.

I have 17 G&L guitars at the moment, so I no longer actively search for them. (No reason to start my "estate " so soon!)

Never built my own guitar. And I don't do a lot of modding so parts buys are minimal. I have bought from Stew-Mac, but they can be expensive. Had a problem with Allparts one time; I try to avoid them if I can.

Good job on the reports this week.

Bill

Fri May 04, 2012 1:36 am

i don't care for wither. 12 string or jm.
i have put together a few guitars. a tele that i love from cypress body (private maker in indiana), tru oil finish, callaham bridge, fralin pups, rutters plate, chris clem neck, kluson tuners, electrosocket jack, bourns pots, and a 4 way oak switch. i can recommend any of those companies to deal with as well asd usacg necks, klein, d allen, nordstrand and bare knuckle pups, glendale parts, taipan parts, wd music for pick guards just to name a few i have dealt with. i have enough parts sitting around for a couple of complete guitars that i am procrastinating putting together, needs body stripping and contouring (i put a heel contour, lower horn contour and forearm and belly cuts on tele bodies for accessability) and neck finishing and assembly done. i need to buy 2 necks, one g&l one tele, and that is 2 more guitars that i have every other part for.