Tuesday 4/24 Lunch Report

Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:02 am

Happy Tuesday!

Yesterday's lunch turned out to be a Ramona's frozen burrito and some home made sparkling water. Other than having to zap them into an edible state, Ramona's are notably better than your average freezer fare. Today's lunch will be a good breakfast because a real lunch probably isn't going to happen.

Thanks for all the responses yesterday.

Let's take that design idea and go a bit deeper.

What's your feeling on some of the construction methods that go into electric stringed instrument (note that I didn't say bass) building? Do you think that vibration-to-neck/body coupling could be improved? How would we go about doing it? Should we? Or are in that "don't mess with a good thing" territory? Neck attachment, bridge attachment; should changing these things be on the radar? Zero fret, anyone? Does a locking nut help with coupling?

How about controls? Is there anything about the physicality of them or their assembly into an instrument that would be worth looking into? Yes, there is a grumble behind this question.

In a somewhat global sense, is there a point when we start improving construction just to idiot-proof the damned things?

So many questions…. Of course I have my own answers, but I want to read yours.

Make them fingers fly, folks! Mine are getting hoarse.
Last edited by Ken Baker on Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Tuuesday 4/24 Lunch Report

Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:50 am

the neck joint should be greatly improved, i am disappointed that g&l has not done so. both contouring the neck heel, and a more stable joint like what tom anderson uses would be very welcome.
a locking nut only hurts imnsho. but a better nut material, such as delron 500 cl would be useful. the controls, especially on the asat classic should be improved, flipping the pots and the switch and using an angled switch helps greatly. i also use low torque linear volume pots to improve volume swells. also having the silent single coil system as an option would be great. and jescar evo frets. prefer them to stainless. also the use of push push instead of push pull pots. another great improvement that nobody seems to even be aware of, everyone just gets push pull because that is all they know.

Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:11 am

What's your feeling on some of the construction methods that go into electric stringed instrument (note that I didn't say bass) building? Do you think that vibration-to-neck/body coupling could be improved? How would we go about doing it? Should we? Or are in that "don't mess with a good thing" territory? Neck attachment, bridge attachment; should changing these things be on the radar? Zero fret, anyone? Does a locking nut help with coupling?

How about controls? Is there anything about the physicality of them or their assembly into an instrument that would be worth looking into? Yes, there is a grumble behind this question.

In a somewhat global sense, is there a point when we start improving construction just to idiot-proof the damned things?

Everything is subject to "improvement" but as a musician you must always use your ears to evaluate the sonic impact of any improvement.
There are so many theories on the best method of neck attachment. I realize now that much of the improved sustain in any great instrument can be attributed to the material that it is made out of. A particular piece of wood will either sound great or terrible.

Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:25 am

I'm all for plug and play electronics. I see no reason in this day and age that a guitar needs to have its connections soldered. As a matter of fact, I think that a solder joint (if not perfect) would be a detriment.

Time to go plug and play folks.

You don't see solder joints on a 747, why a guitar, there are better ways to connect wires these days.

Pet peeve!

Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:43 am

astutzmann wrote:I'm all for plug and play electronics. I see no reason in this day and age that a guitar needs to have its connections soldered. As a matter of fact, I think that a solder joint (if not perfect) would be a detriment.

Time to go plug and play folks.

You don't see solder joints on a 747, why a guitar, there are better ways to connect wires these days.

Pet peeve!

there sure are better ways, but there needs to be a standard before they can get anywhere. i put quick connects on all my guitars for the pick guard, but to install multi pin quick connects at home is a pita. and soldering is exceedingly easy to do well. doesn't take long either.

Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:43 pm

Great questions this week, Ken. I have been kinda kickin' this instrument evolution around sense bassman Bill asked about the Steinberger last week. When I was first working on guitar for real, in the early 90's in my early teens, one of the guys I was initially attracted to was the guitar player from White Lion. I can't remember his name, it was Vinny or something. Anyway, he played one of those headless wonders. I kinda looked into it, but I moved on to listening to other players and reading about what they were doing, and I got sucked into wanting a Les Paul or a Strat.

So I guess I never really went back in that direction.

In addition, over the years, I have invented my own romanticized version of what makes good guitars great. I say 'invented' because they are not scientifically proven, or even provable. Basically they are somewhat emotional. I think experimentation on all aspects of instruments is great. To me, that is the value of the good, old-fashioned music store. Being able to walk in and be struck by the practical beauty of a specific instrument can never happen on the bay, or online generally. Sure it may look great, and you can either are familiar with the product or can do the research. But an instrument is something that you can sometimes just say, "hey this sings for ME!"

So on neck joints, I am pretty happy. But a little more sturdy joint that could handle a little more abuse might be cool. Access isn't a huge issue for me, but if I ever played a guitar that I love the feel, and the sound, and had great access--it might start to be!

Can a new design be found that revolutionizes the consistency and quality of guitar tone? I kinda don't think so, and really that would kind of ruin it, wouldn't it?

I have thought about cables quite a bit. Because the quarter inch does seem a little antiquated. But basically, I don't want to have to retool my rig(s). And quarter is a fine 'one pin' connector--or it was until some knuckleheads decided to make (and sell) .243 inch jacks and whatever size Monster's are. So if manufacturers are not going to follow the standard anyway, no improvement is really possible.

Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:07 pm

Ken,good questions today. There are different neck joints available and I still prefer bolt on for repair reasons. My Parker has a rounded neck joint and the Taylor SB-2 has a joint which forces the neck tighter to the body at the base in addition to the back of the neck. My Taylor has incredible sustain but I not sure that is the reason. I like the control pots that Louis suggested but some people wouldn't be sure where they were (push push). I do not want a locking nut for several reasons. First is looks, second is the weakening of the neck and I do not believe that it contributes to sustain and I do like a zero fret. My Gretsches have them but I think they wear out too soon. It sure does eliminate nut issues. I still like traditional builds and bolt on necks. There are others like me and that is why they don't change them. I do not have a neck through but have several set necks. What the heck, they all work good enough for me.-- Darwin

Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:50 pm

i don't think set neck offer a tone or sustain advantage over bolt on. the layer of glue is more of an issue than a wood on wood tightly fit connection.

Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:58 pm

Hey Ken,

Plenty to talk about.

What does a push -push look like and where can you get one?
My bass has an active pu, and the only way to change the battery is remove the entire back cover. What a PITA! Can't it be easier?
I think the contour of the S-type guitars would be a nice addition. How hard can that be?

I have no idea what a zero fret looks like up close. Why would people buy something they are not familiar with?

Rock on!

Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:22 pm

Here is a Zero Fret. It is located next to the nut.-- Darwin

Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:33 pm

Ahhhhh :searching:

Now I see.

Thanks Darwin. I thought zero fret had something to do with no head stock.

Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:44 pm

meowmix wrote:Hey Ken,

Plenty to talk about.

What does a push -push look like and where can you get one?
My bass has an active pu, and the only way to change the battery is remove the entire back cover. What a PITA! Can't it be easier?
I think the contour of the S-type guitars would be a nice addition. How hard can that be?

I have no idea what a zero fret looks like up close. Why would people buy something they are not familiar with?

Rock on!

push push looks like a push pull, but instead of pulling it up and pushing it down, you just tap the top of it to switch it. much faster in the middle of a song. still get the visual conformation whether it is up or down. get it at allparts for example.

Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:03 pm

Who is Ramona, and where can one find her?

Regarding controls, etc., as long as I can control what goes in and what comes out, I'm generally satisfied.

Concerning neck joints, my poor playing makes it mostly irrelevant to me. However, that said, as Louis aptly points out, there is something special indeed about Tom Anderson's A-Wedgie neck joint. It has the advantages of being able to remove the neck if necessary, but gives you pretty much the sound and sensation of a set or neck-through connection. Check it out: http://www.andersonguitars.com/support/wedgie.cfm

Can I trouble you to pass Ramona? Thank you so very much! - ed

Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:07 pm

zapcosongs wrote:Who is Ramona, and where can one find her?

13633 S Western Ave. Gardena, CA 90249

She's a helluva cook, but the neighborhood can be a little dangerous after dark.

Can I trouble you to pass Ramona? Thank you so very much! - ed

http://ramonas.com/

Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:34 pm

I checked Ramona out.

Looked delicious.

Then tried to find where to tell them to mail me some. Eventually gave up.

That Ramona is quite a tease (though tasty she may well be!). - ed

Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:29 am

after reading the lunch reports for quite a while now, i am amazed how badly most people eat, and how little consideration they give to their own health and well being. the only thing that is taken into consideration is flavor. it just surprises me that smart people who think through and take care of a lot of other areas of their life treat eating as almost an afterthought. both the frequency of the meals and the content is so far from ideal or even adequate, i have a hard time believing it could be like this, but it is like this, that is why i make a good living. even doctors, and i have a few as clients have very little idea how to eat right for staying healthy and staying in good physical condition. of course they have exactly zero hours of instruction on diet and nutrition in med school.

sorry for the rant, sometimes i am taken back by this, then i come to terms with it and accept it as a necessary part of my survival.

Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:28 am

louis cyfer wrote:after reading the lunch reports for quite a while now, i am amazed how badly most people eat, and how little consideration they give to their own health and well being. the only thing that is taken into consideration is flavor. it just surprises me that smart people who think through and take care of a lot of other areas of their life treat eating as almost an afterthought. both the frequency of the meals and the content is so far from ideal or even adequate, i have a hard time believing it could be like this, but it is like this, that is why i make a good living. even doctors, and i have a few as clients have very little idea how to eat right for staying healthy and staying in good physical condition. of course they have exactly zero hours of instruction on diet and nutrition in med school.

sorry for the rant, sometimes i am taken back by this, then i come to terms with it and accept it as a necessary part of my survival.

:happy0007:
I feel I have to comment. There is no way I can eat like these people do. If I did, I become lethargic and it become extremely difficult to get things done.
Another bad item to have is High.F.Corn Syrup, which is a big no no. :mad0025: That stuff is in over half the things at the store. I end up cooking my own meals.
As usual, I cooked a batch of beans. This week I cooked pounds of chicken breast. So my lunch went like this. Made my own dough. Water plus Whole Wheat flour, no salt.
Rolled it. Placed beans and shredded chicken on top. Cooked in the oven. I do get my greens, but I have them as an add on to the dish.

Cooking takes a lot of effort. So eating a meal every 3 hours can be tough. My protein shakes or drinks become a meal. Eating sensibly and in small portions often helps keep the engine running efficient. Anytime I go over board, it just slows me down and nothing gets done or accomplished. Some of this stuff I am learning now. When I was younger, it did not affect me as much or I didn't pay much attention to it.

Back to the lunch report. I cook for the week. For what ever is for lunch on Monday, usually is the same for Friday with some slight variation. Lame and boring. Nothing to write about. :lol:

Another attempt to get back to the lunch report: Most of the upgrades you all talk about can become costly. G&L back in the 90's was the best bang for the buck guitars. Not so much now. Competition has come in. I'm with Ed. It is not guitar but the player. I am no where near at a level of playing where the guitar would need any of these changes.

Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:44 pm

meowmix wrote: Another bad item to have is High.F.Corn Syrup, which is a big no no. :mad0025: That stuff is in over half the things at the store. I end up cooking my own meals.
:thumbup:

I'd say 90% of packaged items at the store include ingredients that are
only there for flavor/mouth feel/preservation...with little to no real concern
for what the body does with it.
Some tortilla's I bought recently looked innocent enough but as I researched the ingredients at home
(the font on the ingredient lists seems to be getting smaller :searching: ) ,
I found L-cysteine (a dough conditioning protein ) is sourced from Hog's hair
and Human hair, apparently human hair makes a better product.

Given this is info found on the interwebs , but it's Homemade tortilla's for me from now on.

Re: Tuesday 4/24 Lunch Report

Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:21 pm

Looks likle Leo got it right the first time and improved on it wth G&L's improved bridge design and super tight neck to body three bolt connection, I'm good with that and see no need for further improvment.
Well, maybe add another Hummmmmbucker to this strat might help

Yes I agree with Louis in that you are what you eat, That's why I spend countless hours in my greenhouse and veggie garden, NO additives here! I do eat my share of red fatty meats and lots of butter and eggs but I think my fresh veggies in my diet make up for that.
And lucky for me my wife is a great cook who serves up a great dinner for me every day of the week.

Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:27 pm

mmmm...Delicious,

The greenery too !

Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:14 pm

Elwood wrote:mmmm...Delicious,

The greenery too !

Yep. Yum X2~! -ed