Thursday April 19 Lunch Report- More You tube!

Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:06 pm

Lunch: I just has some leftover pizza from yesterday's party. It saved me some money and time. I didn't have to go out and spend any money and it was still pretty good.

Report: Thanks again for all of the comments and postings for yesterday's report. I know you guys are a talented bunch and I appreciate your view points. I really want to talk more today about technology and how it influences what we can do as musicians and performers.

Here is a Youtube video of an original song written by a member of RAGs, the 4 piece group I am with, but I am not playing on this track. It was done in garage band software so the bass part is generated by the software. We do this live and have recorded it with the band but this was done earlier before we had a chance to play it as a band.
Brittnie Worley is our girl singer, who we use when ever we can get her to generate more interest in the band and allow us to do some different stuff.
[youtube]LgHytJ7I3-o[/youtube]

What do you think of "Garage band" software and the way it can be used to replace live musicians?

G&L question: Do you think BBE should bring back the X body guitar shape?

I've gotta run so I'll look forward to your replies and if anybody wants to volunteer for next week's Reporter duties, just let me know.

Take care,
bassman

Re: Thursday April 19 Lunch Report- More You tube!

Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:25 pm

Bassman, enjoyable clips the last couple of days. I also had leftover Pizza for lunch. It was tasty, almost as good as I remembered it from the day before.

I have Garage Band (standard Mac Product) and have not used it. I looked at it but I prefer Pro Tools by far. Most of todays recording software is developed for the manufacturing of music. Manufactured music is alive and well today. Look at all the commercials we watch The problem with manufactured music is the lack of feel added by a good musician. I do not use it for that. I only do recording with Pro Tools. There is so much that I don't use. I do take advantage of the editing ability and some other tools such as Melodyne for vocals. Some vocalists need some pitch correction and Melodyne does that extremely well with no change in the voice. My favorite recordings are live concerts that are recorded and unedited. Not many are done that way but they are my favorites. So my opinion is that live musicians cannot be replaced with manufactured music. They are not the same to listen too.

I like the traditional guitar shapes. I had a V guitar and it was difficult to sit and play. The X shape is not something I would buy. I am very pleased with the current offerings that G&L has. Most of the boutique builders are still building pretty traditional body styles. -- Darwin

Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:38 pm

Hey Bassman,

I use Garage Band to lay down quick rhythm tracks for my students to take home and jam with. The included drum loops are actually quite good, and most of them are loops that have been played by a real live drummer. I find it useful to play around with arrangements and ideas but would never use it for a finished product. The Amp simulators are actually quite good as well, but i would never imagine wanting to use it live. I think you would really miss the dynamics of a good old tube amp.

bassman wrote:G&L question: Do you think BBE should bring back the X body guitar shape?

Heck NO! I don't think it is much of a surprise why it didn't catch on ;)

Have a good one

Scott

Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:42 pm

I dig the video. No experience with Garage Band, but free tools are good tools. The "X" would be a trip; maybe a limited run only.

Cheers,

Will

Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:33 pm

bassman wrote:What do you think of "Garage band" software and the way it can be used to replace live musicians?

I've never used garage band, if you live on an island (like I do)...I could see it helpful for composing...
but nothing sounds like real fingers on real strings with emotion driving it .
I use an old Mac G4 with a Digi001 ,it has been running practically 24/7 for almost ten years now.

bassman wrote:G&L question: Do you think BBE should bring back the X body guitar shape?

Yes, I don't think they'd have a problem selling them...that would get my GAS going , especially if they offered some cool wood recipes.

darwinohm wrote: I had a V guitar and it was difficult to sit and play. The X shape is not something I would buy.

I remember Gabe saying the X bodies were some of the most comfortable and ergonomic of the old G&L body styles, even though they might not look that way at first.
Probably fairly light too.
I know what you mean about the V's, the explorer's aren't that good for sitting
either. Oh...and never Armorall an ovation bowlback :D

Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:39 am

Yeah, the X-body Interceptor and the active EQ Cavalier are my two most desirable Leo-era G&Ls. I'd love to see re-issues!

Haven't gotten to checking the vids yet, but I will soon.

Bill