The Almost Tax Day Lunch Report - Mon April 16

Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:02 am

Lunch: Roast beef Sandwich on a kaiser roll. Any body know why they are called Kaiser rolls?

Ho folks, its bassman Bill one of the many "Bills" on this board. I volunteered to do this weeks LRs before I realized that I had to finish my taxes. 2011 Income taxes are due here in the USA on April 17, this year. I always say that I am going to be finished early but then life intervenes and I run late.

Intro: I haven't been around much lately because there has been much more pressure at work since we have lost some staff and they are not going to be replaced anytime soon. I first started frequenting this board around 2001 and didn't post much until 2002. I am a bass player who is currently in two bands and I work in I.T. support for a County Library system.

G&L question: G&L recently revised the active electronics in their L-2000 so now there is also a M-2000 bass.

Do you think G&L should ever try to make a guitar with active electronics?

If so, what model should it be based on and which pickups should be used on it?

Fro those of you who perform in bands:

Do you post videos of your band to YouTube?

Have you noticed any difference in getting gigs or popularity of your band?

Reply if you can I know that a lot of people are busy this time of year.

take care,

bassman

Re: The Almost Tax Day Lunch Report - Mon April 16

Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:35 am

Bassman, I just had a bowl of Chicken Noodle soup and that will keep the fire burning until this evening!

I used to hate tax time. We have had our accountant do them for the last 8 to 10 years and I have to admit that I am a much happier person. If there were anything that could get Ginny and I on the outs, it was me doing taxes. We were finished about a month ago.

I happen to like the G&L active circuit as it gives a little oomph when turned on but is not hot enough to require the active input on the amp. I also like the simplicity of the switches for selecting the settings and it suites me perfectly. My StingRay 5 had split pots to adjust thing and I never cared for it. Having said that I am not going for the M series as there ins.t anything I would need or prefer. Some people will like it but it would add more complexity for me which I would not use. I also like the non active ability in case you happen to lose a battery. I hope the M series still has that ability. My other active basses were dead when the battery was gone. That feature in the L is great.

Our band is getting more booking than some of us want. I like to have the summers free but we already have booking over the summer. The biggest boost for our band has been to have two outstanding vocalists. That is cool and it keeps 'em coming. Gigs do not pay what they used to and if you want to make money in this area you have to develop a show band and do theaters and large venues. We do bar band work and it does not pay the best but we just enjoy entertaining.

I have guitars with active electronics and really see no advantage for me except for piezo. If I were a shredder I may see it differently. I do not see a active G&L as a hot item.

We have not posted any videos on U-tube. We may after our Edge Concert this fall but that is something new for me to figure out. One of my concerns about being a cover band is the royalty issues and exposure if you post cover songs on U-tube. Is that a concern?
Thanks for volunteering this week Bill-- Darwin

Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:05 am

Do you post videos of your band to YouTube?

This is one of those coincidences that makes one believe in brain wave communication since I posted a video from my hobby band's first gig to youtube yesterday.

"From The Top," as our hobby band is called, has been in this configuration for about 8 months. A couple of months ago we played a gig because the drummer and bass player have always dreamed of playing "under the big lights." For one reason or another I was not able to get a hold of the video files from the gig until this past Saturday. Since I have never put anything up on youtube before I thought I'd give it a try. This morning I posted a thread about it here:

viewtopic.php?f=119&t=5981

darwinohm wrote:We have not posted any videos on U-tube. We may after our Edge Concert this fall but that is something new for me to figure out. One of my concerns about being a cover band is the royalty issues and exposure if you post cover songs on U-tube. Is that a concern?

Since we are a cover band mostly (we also play a couple of originals) I was also concerned about the licensing issue. I see all kinds of covers on youtube so I assume that I won't easily get in trouble posting a cover song. After I posted I got an email from youtube saying that what I posted is licensed material, but it is covered by a youtube agreement if I confirm that I understand that it is copyrighted material. So that's how all those cover songs can get away with it on youtube. Now the band may upload a few more songs.

Kit

Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:05 pm

bassman wrote:Do you think G&L should ever try to make a guitar with active electronics?

Bill,

G&L made active electronics optional on some models in the early days (at least the F-100 and Cavalier). I'm new to active electronics, as my "new" '81 L-2000E is the first active instrument I've ever owned. It seems like G&L limited active circuits to the humbucker models, so I guess that would make the modern F-100 the best option.

I've only ended up on the You Tube once on the upright. One of the percussionists I was working with (I was working, at least) said he liked the sound I was getting so much that he got down off the stage to film me. He ended up grabbing a drink, noticing something shiny, and wandering off. A couple of drinks later he remembered his video camera and started filming. He was far enough gone that he held the camera sideways and narrated the whole time about how pretty his wife and several other women in the audience were. I don't think a singe note of mine came through. At least he didn't put my name anywhere in the posting...

Ken

Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:08 pm

darwinohm wrote:One of my concerns about being a cover band is the royalty issues and exposure if you post cover songs on U-tube. Is that a concern?

Darwin,

A lot of your cover material is probably in the public domain at this point. That may reduce any risks.

By the way, I loved the CD! I meant to PM you when I get a few minutes. I haven't had a chance to watch the DVD yet, but hopefully will tonight.

Ken

Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:28 pm

KenC wrote:
darwinohm wrote:One of my concerns about being a cover band is the royalty issues and exposure if you post cover songs on U-tube. Is that a concern?

Darwin,

A lot of your cover material is probably in the public domain at this point. That may reduce any risks.

By the way, I loved the CD! I meant to PM you when I get a few minutes. I haven't had a chance to watch the DVD yet, but hopefully will tonight.

Ken

i don't think so, it is the life of the composer plus 50 years. when you do covers and you have a partner account where you make money, or a profit sharing one, that may cause an issue, but otherwise you are fine darwin. it is simply not your concern. i am sure that youtube has a licensing agreement with ascap or bmi. think about it like the clubs you play at. you playing the cover material is not your problem, it is theirs.

Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:48 pm

Corporate taxes done in Feb and personal done in March, ever since the accountant took over I've never been late.

U-Tube wasn't around when I had my bands together, Hell, I don't even remember having camcorders around, I've got a lot of cassette tapes from gigs I'd like to get into a digital format!

I've had some F-100s and cavs but never an active one, would like to get my hands on an active F-100 one of these days, If G&L were to do an active model now it should be an Interceptor/Invader style with EMGs

Gary

Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:30 pm

Taxes - Got the Feds taken care of, gotta do the state still.

I have not tried to promote any bands with youtube. Having trouble keeping them together, currently. I have a friend who's band has really worked on their online marketing--and they have steadily moved up the food chain of gig quality. I think the marketing helps, at least it's easy for private parties to get in touch with them.

Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:54 pm

Nothing like filling out tax forms, hope you're having fun Bill! It's been a long time since I've had a tax return. As a student my yearly income is below the amount at which you have to pay taxes.

One of my bands has a few clips on youtube, but I can't say I've noticed any changes in popularity. For example, we made an 1100 mile round trip to play a show in Sydney this weekend to about 30 people :problem: I have no doubts that some bands are able to drum up interest through youtube. Look at current teen phenomenon One Direction. They have like 100,000,000 views on their videos. There are a few independent local acts who have well viewed videos, here's one of my favourites.

[youtube]FZrpzZdtPaQ[/youtube]

Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:24 pm

5000 is well viewed?

Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:03 pm

Everything is relative, Louis.....

Hey Bill. Regarding tax day, my wife is a CPA and it has been hell here for six weeks. Don't ask....

Regarding active electronics, never played an active instrument and I personally have no need for one more variable or level of complication.

Nice start! - ed

Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:21 pm

Bill, I forgot the Kaiser roll question. My guess would be that they were shaped like the old Kaiser automobile. I've been wrong several times today while talking to Ginny :D. Ed, there are times I could use an active amp to go with my Hi Fi ears. I don't know where I would wear it!- - Darwin

Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:25 pm

Taxes, we can always depend on them. I like "active" when used w/ piezo's... Not much Utube experience, but you can pay to advertize them.

Cheers,

Will
Last edited by willross on Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:29 pm

Ok, I cheated on the Kaiser roll thing.

Seems like this style of roll was named after some Franz Joseph dude:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaiser_roll

I'll bite! - ed

Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:00 pm

bassman wrote:

G&L question: G&L recently revised the active electronics in their L-2000 so now there is also a M-2000 bass.

Do you think G&L should ever try to make a guitar with active electronics?

bassman

I'd love to see what the new M basses are like.

The F-100E's are fun but there are almost too many permutations to keep track of
when playing live. And there was the very elusive active Cavalier .

So how about something simpler and useful (and available),
like a single coil equipped G&L with an onboard clean boost
something like the Stratoblaster. (I'd add a hardwire bypass at the switch, and a knob for gain)

http://alembic.stores.yahoo.net/blaster.html

I could see that on the ASAT, Legacy ,S-500 or SC-2 models.

Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:24 pm

westsideduck wrote:
I've had some F-100s and cavs but never an active one, would like to get my hands on an active F-100 one of these days, If G&L were to do an active model now it should be an Interceptor/Invader style with EMGs

Gary

Actually, G&L does have optional EMG 85/81 humbucker set : available on ASAT Deluxe / Semi-Hollow, Invader XL / Deluxe, Legacy HB2 and the F-100.

:ugeek:

Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:49 pm

louis cyfer wrote:5000 is well viewed?

For a local, highly alternative band from this part of the world who scarcely get radio airplay even on community station, yes. YMMV. They might not be rolling in money (does that even happen any more???) but they've drastically increased their profile over the last year or so - I used to see them playing in the corner of a tiny bar, now they're selling out shows in "proper venues". I'm sure that having a youtube clip of that quality would get people interested in attending a show. And they're a fantastic live act, which has no doubt helped their reputation.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:43 am

Hey Bassman,

I was at the accountants yesterday afternoon.... But lucky for us Canucks up north we have until April 30 to file! Either way it is always a PITA time of year for me and my wife, as we are both self employed. I spent a good deal of the weekend crunching numbers :thumbdown:

I have never really given active guitars a chance, probably because of my dislike of the 9 volt battery! (what a rip off). Not to mention that i tend to favour single coils.

Youtube

I starting using youtube almost a year ago for our band... however i use it to share stuff between band members after rehearsal. It is great for to get everyone on the same page for arrangements etc. I like sharing some of the stuff with you guys here, but i don't think we will ever use it to promote the band. I really could care less about view totals and likes!

Jamie, I checked out the band you posted... i liked it a lot, i would totally go see them.

Scott

Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:59 am

blargfromouterspace wrote:
louis cyfer wrote:5000 is well viewed?

For a local, highly alternative band from this part of the world who scarcely get radio airplay even on community station, yes. YMMV. They might not be rolling in money (does that even happen any more???) but they've drastically increased their profile over the last year or so - I used to see them playing in the corner of a tiny bar, now they're selling out shows in "proper venues". I'm sure that having a youtube clip of that quality would get people interested in attending a show. And they're a fantastic live act, which has no doubt helped their reputation.

ok, i get it. i liked the video a lot btw, it is a good band. i wasn't crazy about the mix, i had a hard time hearing the vocalist. they didn't quite carve out a space in the spectrum for her freq range with the other instruments. i would go see them, i like the singer's voice, very interesting.

i have seen some bands get great push from youtube, even making a career like andy mckee. if the video and the playing is awesome, it is a great way to promote. like gregor hilden, who was not that well known internationally before, getting a pretty big following. with some other bands, it actually hurts, as people can decide without going to a gig that they don't want to see it. definitely more of a help for original artists than cover/bar bands.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:44 pm

louis cyfer wrote:ok, i get it. i liked the video a lot btw, it is a good band. i wasn't crazy about the mix, i had a hard time hearing the vocalist. they didn't quite carve out a space in the spectrum for her freq range with the other instruments. i would go see them, i like the singer's voice, very interesting.

Yeah, the mix isn't great at all. Vocals too soft, fiddle WAY too loud. Glad you enjoyed it. Nothing wrong with a gorgeous woman destroying an apartment with a sledgehammer :D .

Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:04 pm

blargfromouterspace wrote:Look at current teen phenomenon One Direction. They have like 100,000,000 views on their videos.

They showed up on an American teen TV show my sons watch. We couldn't figure out whether they were an actual band or a fake put together for the show.

My nine year old summed them up well: "Hey Dad, who are these guys and why are they on TV? They aren't very good." YMMV, but I think he's on the right path at an early age...

Ken