Lunch Report, Monday May 16 2011, A shortcut to pancakes.

Mon May 16, 2011 12:19 pm

Hey guys, first turn as a Lunch Reporter so please forgive any rough edges as they appear.

As some of you may know the handle is Ahryn and I am eagerly awaiting my first G&L, an ASAT special deluxe (only without the maple top), who knows maybe this’ll be the week it comes in?

But first as I have the day off and had no classes today I decided to go the brunch route, mmm pancakes smothered in various syrups I happened to have around the house, maybe an orange later.

Compressor I hardly know her.

Although I don't have it in my hands quite yet, from my constant web lurking, guitar fondling and what youtube vids I have seen G&L deserves the fine reputation it has.

With such a fine reputation it makes sense that pedals would be a next step and with the Buckshot and Double Barrel I have but to wonder, where are they going to go next?

Personally I think that a vintage tubey style reverb or a compressor in the realm of a keeley compressors tone coloration would be pretty awesome.

So, What do you think/hope the next G&L pedal will be?

Oh Boy.

Every other LR seems to have it but its an old standard that I happen to enjoy each time I see it come up, thats right it’s the time travel question!

Now I loved to watch Quantum Leap as a child and the rules that particular way of temporal travel happened to have with it, so here it is.

You can leap from this time to any year date whatever... as long as it is within your own lifetime... you cannot change anything... but you can pick who you leap into though.

I would probably leap into someone working at the G&L factory circa ’88 or ’89 just to see how things were done then and maybe meet Mister Fullerton or Leo himself, they seem like they would be great guys to know.

So where would you leap?

Random link of the day.

[youtube]mcxioU7AMM4[/youtube]

Re: Lunch Report, Monday May 16 2011, A shortcut to pancakes.

Mon May 16, 2011 1:05 pm

As far as compressors go, I am not sure G&L would do well that route, the market is rather over saturated with compressors as it is, with some very good ones to boot. Not sure what their next pedal will be, or should be. Not that interested really, would rather see something different and new on the guitar side.

Mon May 16, 2011 1:40 pm

Now I see why no one has talked about the G&L pedals on a LR before... maybe if I tweak it a bit.... Like do you think G&L should even make pedals? or is the market too saturated and G&L should just stick to making the Guitars we all know and love?

Mon May 16, 2011 1:51 pm

Ahryn -

Welcome to the board! I hope you are weathering the long wait for the truck OK, a guy can get pretty strung out watching for couriers!

I do not know much about pedals, and the whole market is kind of a mystery to me. I have 2 BBE pedals the 2 timer delay and the marvelously mysterious (to me) sonic stomp. They are both great quality, but I don't have that much experience so can't really comment to much on sound, etc. I assume the G&L brand pedals would be similar, and I would give them a look based on my previous good experiences.

cheers, jeremy

Mon May 16, 2011 2:33 pm

I'm not even sure I'd ever use a compressor as I play at fairly low volumes with a fairly clean tone and, when I do spike the sound, it's on purpose. Since I'm fairly new to individual stomp boxes, I couldn't tell you what should be next, well unless G&L/BBE released a kick-ass Looper.

If I were to leap into anybody's body within my lifetime.... Wow that is a very difficult choice... but I think I would leap into Mark David Chapman's body on December 8th, 1980 and prevent the assassination of John Lennon.

I want more Japanese Spider Man. Does he pilot that giant robot or does he transmogrify into an equally giant Ultra-Spider-Man to fight the robot?

Mon May 16, 2011 2:42 pm

CGT wrote:I'm not even sure I'd ever use a compressor as I play at fairly low volumes with a fairly clean tone and, when I do spike the sound, it's on purpose. Since I'm fairly new to individual stomp boxes, I couldn't tell you what should be next, well unless G&L/BBE released a kick-ass Looper.

There is a bit more to compressors than that, a good one only adds, doesn't really take anything away.

Mon May 16, 2011 4:45 pm

sirmyghin wrote:As far as compressors go, I am not sure G&L would do well that route, the market is rather over saturated with compressors as it is, with some very good ones to boot. Not sure what their next pedal will be, or should be. Not that interested really, would rather see something different and new on the guitar side.

Not G&L branded, but there's this...

and this...

Click the images for more info.

Ken...

Mon May 16, 2011 5:28 pm

Hey Ahryn. I have my fingers crossed that your guitar comes in the next day or two :thumbup:

I think it was a pretty bold move for G&L to make pedals for the reasons Sirmy has outlined. The market is indeed saturated. There is sooooooo much choice out there. That said, a compressor would be in line with what they have out at the moment. I've had a couple of compressors and never end up using them. They're not for me.

If I could go back in time I'd go to 1989 be an extra in an episode of "Married With Children". I love that show. My role on the show would be to make out with Kelly Bundy.

Mon May 16, 2011 5:31 pm

The leap part is easy--I would leap back to October, 1959, and have my father buy me nine 1959 Les Paul Sunbursts on my ninth birthday; and then repeat the scene on my tenth birthday with ten 1960 Les Paul Sunbursts.

Today, I'd be sitting on about six million dollars worth of Les Pauls. JOY!!!!

I think BBE does a good job with the pedals; I like the Crusher, Green Screamer, American Distortion and the Opto-Stomp I have.

I'm not sure what they will build next, but a good distortion/overdrive is always a good bet--perhaps tube-driven? It might be a tap-tempo digital delay; or a Mutron-clone phasor--one of the best, IMO.

Bill

Mon May 16, 2011 5:42 pm

I play bass, only use one pedal.....a Sansamp VT bass deluxe.....an Ampeg SVT simulator. Most of the time its off during a gig, but it has a DI out that I use quite a bit. I really prefer the tone of my bass on its own.

Not really into pedals at all. My son has a huge pedal board and has spent quite a bit of time dialing in John Petrucci's Dream Theature tone.

If I could go back in time it would be walking into the hydroplane races in Seattle when I was a kid, jazzed about watching the thunderboats. 1965 would do.

Mon May 16, 2011 6:03 pm

Thanks guys for the responses for a second there I thought I was the worst LR ever even before I properly started, better topics to come.

Sickbutnottired: Yeah I am trying my best but I am not the most patient man when it comes to, well anything really.

CGT: a looper would be great, maybe even with the option to reverse the loop and get some backwards guitar type effect or other tape loop effects.

Ken: cool, that benchpress sounds pretty good. I just wish there were more demos of it.

Blarg: Loved that show! good times.

Bill: judging from what YouTube vids I have been looking at, a Mutron type Phasor would be KILLER! I just wonder what they would call it...

klokker: Good leap.

Mon May 16, 2011 6:57 pm

Ahryn, thanks for doing the LRs this week. I had a turkey breast on pumpernickle today, with pickles and horseradish mustard. Very tasty.

I am not into pedals but the ones that BBE makes are built like tanks. I have two and love both of them. I do all the programming in my amp to get what I need. I have a Fender Cyber Twin SE.

If I could go back in time, it would not be very far. G&L now builds some of the finest guitars ever. I would go back to earlier this year and use the water slide serial numbers. The new plate is not something I would want. Have a great week-- Darwin

Mon May 16, 2011 8:59 pm

Hey Ahryn, thanks for jumping in this week, relax and have fun.

I am kind of a pedal junky and like the BBE varieties and would like to try the G&L Buckshot. I do have 6 BBE's and while I like 'em all, I would like to see a new tremolo. I have a Tremor and a old Nobels TR-X and think G&L could get a better TR-X. Why? The TR-X has more options than most other low-to-mid-priced tremolo pedals with four selectable waveforms. Although, there are actually only two available waveforms (sine and square) with two variations of each. There is a lot of overlap across the waveforms, and I don't think many people would complain if there were only two choices. Also, the square wave settings aren't that choppy - room for improvement. It scores points over other pedals by having a volume control. A very interesting, noteworthy feature is the 'Tone' control. This doesn't work as you'd expect, and the manual doesn't go into any great depth to offer an explanation. The Tone control acts on the high frequencies, so at it's minimum position, you will get a standard, full-range (tonally transparent) tremolo. As you turn the Tone up, you will notice the treble frequencies are less modulated and seem to sit on top of the effect. At the maximum position, the treble frequencies are practically untouched and the bass will be pulsing away. It's a great pedal so why not make it better with a G&L badge?

Was a Quantum Leap fan as well, so where would I jump back to? Was living in Memphis when the Sex Pistols came to town in 1978 and had a couple of friends I talked with about going to the show but bagged it for some unknown reason. Wish we would have gone just to have been part of the history. 20-20 hindsight, the hoopla was insane, what did the media think was going to happen!?! :lol:

Tue May 17, 2011 2:15 am

klokker wrote:IIf I could go back in time it would be walking into the hydroplane races in Seattle when I was a kid, jazzed about watching the thunderboats. 1965 would do.

In the late Sixties and early Seventies I worked part-time at Harborview Medical Center--I used to hate Seafair, seemed like I was always taking x-rays on those hydro drivers. And the sport wasn't the same after they went to the jet engines...I missed the thunder.

Ron Musson (Miss Bardahl)--along with so many others, RIP.

Hated the Miss Budweiser, but even I had to tip my hat to Chip Hanauer.

Good times.

Bill

Tue May 17, 2011 4:26 am

Hey Ahryn,
I have yet to try out the G&L pedals.... i'm not really sure what i would like to see next without playing these current ones. I am a sucker for a nice transparent boost/OD and i think i would be happy with either the buck or barrel - but maybe a nice analog delay might fit the bill for me.

As for the leap in time, i would have to go a few years before i was born to 1968 ( i know it breaks the rules, but hey we are talking about time travel right? :) ) i wouldn't even care who i was as long as i had the money to travel around the world to see Hendrix, Zep, Stones, Beatles and on and on. What a influential time in the history of guitar playing, i would have loved to be a part of that.

Scott

Tue May 17, 2011 8:06 am

Hey Ahryn, Good start!

Is that Spiderman vs Voltron?!! :lol:

I'd like to see G&L put out a tape echo like the Fulltone TTE. Fulltone pretty much has the market cornered, it'd be nice to see something under a grand.

Leap: not sure where I'd leap to given the rules. If I could change things I'd leap back to 1994 and tell my lazy arse to stop falling asleep in class, go to college for something that pays well, and find a better guitar teacher ( the first one would sit there and showboat saying "just do this" followed by a fast 80's metal type riff :thumbdown: )

Jamie, Nice jump! Married with Children was a great show. My cousin actually wrote an episode, "Love Conquers Al", around 1995 or so.

-Dave

Tue May 17, 2011 1:13 pm

Great responses!

Darwin: Ziggy says there is a 84% chance you have to do just that :D

Sam: cool maybe the BBE/G&L tremelo could have two knobs for each waveform and maybe a toggle switch to add even more variations of them.

Gitman: actually they did that in an episode, leapt outside of Sam Becketts lifetime that is... basically with enough techno-babble any time travel scenario is possible :)

Dave: A tape echo would be pretty epic! especially if they got there hands on some NOS components...

Tue May 17, 2011 6:25 pm

Dave_P wrote:Jamie, Nice jump! Married with Children was a great show. My cousin actually wrote an episode, "Love Conquers Al", around 1995 or so.

Your cousin is my hero. I'll keep an eye peeled for that episode :thumbup:

Tue May 17, 2011 8:14 pm

i would just leave the pedals to BBE...don't see the sense in a G&L line of pedals too...that'd just be a marketing ploy...
now, some new pickups would be an interesting product...maybe furthering some ideas Leo had...

time travel?...Nov 22nd, 1963...Dealey Plaza, Dallas...if i couldn't be someone who could change the result, i'd want to be in position to know the answer...