Lunch Report-Thur-04-28-11

Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:09 am

A friend of mine who bar-tends on Thursday evenings refers to this as thirsty Thursday. Lunch is a ham sandwich. Left over ham from Easter.

Today I am posting my F-100 Return for the G&L topic. It is a Custom Creations from 2007 and is number 21 of 100. It is a maple cap with a grain that is an eye catcher. The neck and headstock are gloss and the natural binding finishes it off. It also has an Ebony fretboard. This was a real eye opener when I first saw it at AB&G, the local G&L dealer. I think that the woods and workmanship are second to none.

The color is Port Wine and was blended for this model.

Non G&L is something very special to me and it has a short story. Three years ago, a pristine, 1988 Fender Strat Plus, was hanging on the wall at the local GC. They did not know what it was or even the year. I looked at it for a couple of months. I finally told Ginny that I was going over to pick it up. She said okay, go for it. When I walked in the store, it was gone. I asked the salesman that I dealt with all the time, where it was. He said that they had just sold it online and had shipped it. I came home bummed out and told Ginny that they had sold it. Her reply was that I shouldn't have waited so long. I sat around most of the evening grumping about it and she was getting sick of listening to me. I was sitting in garage late that evening, still shaking my head. She walked out with a guitar case and said "open this". It was the Strat Plus! It brought a tear folks. She had bought it from the salesman I buy from, and bought it for less than I would have paid. They had set me up. It was going to be given to me later, for an occasion, but she said that she got tired of listening to me complain about it. Here it is.

It is pristine and has the Wilkerson nut and Lace Sensors that Fender used back then. Thank you Ginny!!!!! This is just like the 88 Strat Plus that our lead player, Steve bought new in 87 and still plays, with the worn frets.

There is not a question for the day, but today is post your extra special G&L day. Put up a picture of your sweetie.

Music time! We cannot go through the week without a tune for the Parrotheads. Everyone knows it and every band has done it! Here is our version done by Jerry our lead singer.

08 Margueritaville.mp3

This is a song that I don't know who did. If you know who did the original, I would like to know. So Fine, done by Mike and Jo doing background vocals.

09 So Fine.mp3

and, we have to do a John Denver song to close it out today. Back Home Again by Mike.

11 Back Home Again.mp3

Tomorrow is Friday and we will wrap it up. Thanks for your answers and participation so far this week. Darwin. Parrotheads are 8-)

Re: Lunch Report-Thur-04-28-11

Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:31 am

Hi Darwin,

I should use Ginny to as my 'guitar acquisition' agent! Bet she is as tough of a bargain as Scott Boras (although I'm not so sure if being compared to Scott Boras reflects well on ones personality and likability). But that must have been a great surprise. Glad we are both supported by understanding spouses, even though we get the scowl once in a while ;)

Couldn't really make a single pick so here is a lovely pair of Commemoratives:

- Jos

Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:43 am

Hey Darwin,
Great looking f-100, how do you like the mfd humbuckers? I have the 25th anniversary and sometimes find it tough to go between it and the s-500 or asat when playing live. Sometimes it is just to smooth! I did read the f100 has a push pull to split the coils - i wonder how much that would change the tonally quality of the humbucker, and if it gives it a little more bite. It might be something i may look into for the 25th, if it is even possible with those versions of the mfd humbuckers. Anyway here is my #1, she is my first and still my fav

Scott

Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:47 am

i only have one G&L so far...and i don't want to post the pic again cuz i know it makes you guys drool all over your keyboards....

Darwin...does Ginny have any single, female relatives who'd be interested in a rich (lie), handsome (lie), charming (lie), humorous (depends on your level of sanity), guy who is addicted to guitars? (finally some truth)...

Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:51 am

Where it currently stands, I don't really have an extra special G&L, I only have one but it is quite the player. Not currently sure I will get another G&L down the line, there are a lot of factors there. Not a shot against G&L by any means, but I feel with an ASAT I got what I wanted from them, and unless you are filling the niche of what I am looking for at the moment I tend to find out who is. My musical tastes are all over the board and always growing, so my instruments are a constant evolution. I try to make sure all of them have some unique quality that I will hold on to them for however. There is just no company in existence, aside from a completely free custom shop, who can really satisfy me.

BTW Darwin, if she ever tells you it is no use complaining, just remind her of that strat :mrgreen:

Here it is, the heavily modded special. I need to take the file to the fret ends, they done gone all cheese grater again, I probably should have taken them downa little farther the first time.

My image appears to be not working for some odd reason..

Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:29 am

Yow, beautiful guitars as usual. Very striking ASAT/Bass combo. The signature on the bass really stands out! Ginny negotiates very well. I don't try to negotiate with her. I sometimes just listen instead. Yes, I think we are lucky to have our spouses.

Scott, a gorgeous Blue swamp ash S-500. Similar to the one I have. I have a Blue bass also. I like the MFD buckers in the F100 but that guitar will never get gigged. It is wall art.

Jaxx, she has some but probably way over your age. I will send some feelers out with the info that you have supplied. That will reel em in!!

Sirmy, I just get a small thumbnail of you guitar. When I click on it, it doesn't fully load.

Thanks folks-- Darwin

Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:41 am

darwinohm wrote:Jaxx, she has some but probably way over your age. I will send some feelers out with the info that you have supplied. That will reel em in!!

if she has Ginny's G.A.A. (Guitar Acquisition Acquiescence) age doesn't matter....me love her long time...

Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:45 am

Jaxx, I like your priorities!!!!- Darwin

Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:05 am

darwinohm wrote:
Sirmy, I just get a small thumbnail of you guitar. When I click on it, it doesn't fully load.

The timage tag wasn't working right, I couldn't make my picture display scaled so I tossed that up.. It loads for me, but I can't make the real image work scaled back, sorry.

Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:29 pm

Todays lunch was a cheese sandwich augmented with broiled shi*ake mushrooms and sundried tomatoes.

In response to the G&L Question, here's a shot of my 2005 Legacy. Fullerton Red with a tinted gun oil-finish maple neck and mint pick guard. I purchased it up secondhand on New Year's Eve. I'll relate the whole story when I finally get around to posting a proper introduction. It's a mid-2005 and the heaviest Strat-style guitar I've ever played but when I took it off the wall and plugged it in, I heard that sound that I'd been carrying in my head for years.

This is the Squier Strat I bought for $50.00 from a gossip columnist just before Christmas of last year. It was the third Strat-style guitar I've owned (the Previous two are a Yamaha EG112 and a Yamaha Pacifica 112). This was my first guitar with a maple board and it made me realize what I'd been missing during all my years of playing.

Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:21 pm

Great job this week Darwin. I always enjoy reading your posts on the board. Also, that is a beautiful F100 you have! I would love to try one out one day. As far as that special G&L, while the Rampage I just got is and will be for a long time, my favorite guitar I own due to feel and sound, my '85 Invader is really special to me. When I got it, it was in really bad shape. The finish was horrible, so I tore it completely down and refinished it and cleaned it up. It looks and plays like new. And the MFD's are to die for!

Thanks again,
Dave
[img][IMG]http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n556/GLrampage/GL091.jpg[/img][/img]

Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:31 pm

Hi Darwin,

Nice strat plus you got there. Here's my '95 strat plus. It was my first 'proper' electric guitar and has one of the nicest 'burst paint jobs I've ever seen on a strat. The alder shows virtually no grain at all, so it's like the burst was sprayed onto a blank canvas.

How do you like the neck shape on yours? Mine is a bit on the thin/flat side of what I like, but she's a great sounding guitar. And those Lace sensors sure are noiseless. :thumbup:

Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:04 pm

I've only got two G&L's and it's tough to choose between them they are both excellent for their own reasons but if I had to choose...

the slight edge goes to my 04/06ish(no neck or body date) ASAT Special. I have to admit tone wise my '90 ASAT is a bit more to my liking it's got a mellower sweeter tone that I just love, but the blue one can get close and the neck is so comfortable to me I find myself playing it the most. I bought her sight unseen off of CL, got it shipped to me from up-state NY, pretty much un-played condition and I immediately fell in love, only change I've made is the 4-way switch mod.

My other sweetie is behind the guitar 2006 Cervelo Dual 8-)

-Dave

Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:21 pm

Darwin -

I have to tell you (ok, confess) that your love story with Ginny gives me daily inspiration. You both are really special and I appreciate it.

Lunch: Easter ham sounds good to me. I had a cheap frozen burrito (microwaved) and cold black coffee from this morning (I prefer cream and sugar). The combination tends to keep me grounded and appreciative.

Your F-100: Yours is beautiful indeed. Always wanted to try one. Tell us the truth. Do you wish it came with a Bigsby ;+) ????

Your recordings: Exceedingly fine - as usual. Looking forward to something original from your own heart.

All: Great G&L photos. Love this stuff!

My favorite guitar tends to be the G&L I'm playing. Here's one for those who haven't seen it. Early SC-2 but not really a collector's piece as it's been refinished in nitro (but in the original color, more or less). I think it sounds very good. This shot if from a couple of years ago. Gave the guitar to my kid, who is developing an appreciation for G&L - go figure. Need to get the guitar intonated for the lighter strings that he's using now...

Great week! - ed

Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:59 pm

Some beautiful guitars in this thread. And my wife loves your kid Ed. She says he looks really relaxed. And nice SC-2 too boot. Oh, and Badjaxx, I want to drool over my keyboard. So why don't you show her off? ;-)

- Jos

Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:20 am

per request...

grab your bib...

i've read a couple posts stating that G&L necks tend to feel and play wider than their measurements, and that led me to try this one...very happy to report that i agree with that assessment...i'm thinking it's a combo of the neck profile and string spacing...
the finish satisfies the Mary Kaye vibe i've been wanting...
ALL of the pup selector settings sound great...a first for me...and the middle S-500 pup isn't just usable, it sounds GREAT...another first for me...

Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:17 am

Where's DID I put that bib. Da*n Jax, that sure is a beauty. Congratulations! - ed

PS: Jos, thanks for the kind words.

Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:25 am

I agree, love it Jaxx. The wideness of the neck comment is interesting, I feel the same way about my Carvins, both my Carvin and G&L are 'Gibson' width (1" 11/16) but I don't run into the issues with it feeling cluttered, like one a gibby.

Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:34 am

my G&L is 1 5/8 but feels like 1 11/16 or close to it....Gibby specs list a .015 tolerance either way...
Carvins rarely come with neck binding, whereas Gibbys usually do....it seems to me that the neck binding maybe results in tighter string spacing at the nut which then makes it feel narrower...

Sun May 01, 2011 2:14 pm

CGT, great looking Fullerton Red with the GOT neck and yes, I also prefer Maple fretboards.

Rampagefan, I agree with that, If they get ratty, refinish and put some new life into them!

Philby, the necks on my Fenders with 9.5 radius all feel the same to me. Others have said that some Strats are different but the only difference I've noticed is the V-neck which I really like. The plus is a sweet guitar and they were the best before the Custom Shop came along.

Dave, nice Blue Special and The bike is good for the health!

Zapco, thank you for your kind comments. Keep the son going on the SC-2 . Cool pic.Also glad you enjoyed some of the tunes. I do like the DF on the F-100 but I wish some more of my ASATS had Bigsbys. I wish it were easy to put the Bigsby on the Special.

Jax, Yow is right, that is one to drool over. I tend to like the contours but like either. Keep it locked up!!!

Thanks to all for the keepers that you posted today. They are all lookers. :luv:

Hope you had a great weekend.-- Darwin. :wave: