Lunch Report Friday, April 22, 2011

Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:58 am

Wow, the week is almost over! Today I’m paying for all my productivity in the yard…my back is pretty stiff! But the sense of accomplishment still outweighs it! All in all, it’s been a good week, and I’ve enjoyed being the lunch reporter.

Lunch today will be leftover Kung Pao Chicken from a nearby Chinese takeout. Don’t get Kung Pao often, but I’m looking forward to it today. Then I’ve got an apple and some peanut butter to finish things off.

Okay the first order of business here…Please welcome Darwinohm as your lunch reporter for next week! Thanks, Darwin!

G&L Question

We’ve all got different reasons for playing G&L instruments. And what brought us to G&L may not be what necessarily keeps us coming back. Honestly, for me, I was looking for a strat-style guitar with the features I wanted at a reasonable price. In order to get the features I wanted in a Fender, I would have had to get in an American Deluxe Strat. But that was a little more than I wanted to spend. I had heard good things about G&L, and did some research and found that the basic Legacy had those features I wanted. I soon realized there were some great deals on used Legacys if you had a little patience…and my patience paid off! When I got the guitar, I loved it more than I expected…the build quality, the fit and finish, the playability, and the features were all top notch! And as I learned more about G&L, I liked the fact that it’s a smaller company that seems more concerned with putting out top quality instruments than just hitting certain production numbers. So it was an obvious choice when I wanted a new guitar!

What are your reasons for playing G&L?

Non-G&L Question

The past number of years we’ve seen a surprising number of band reunions. There were a few who swore years ago they would never work together again….The Eagles, The Police, Triumph, Eddie Van Halen and David Lee Roth come to mind. Then other groups whose splits weren’t nearly so divisive, but had been apart for quite a long time…The Who, Led Zepplin, Asia, Journey, Yes, The Cars, Whitesnake, Dokken, Ratt…just to name a few I’m familiar with. Now, these aren’t all back with original members, some have died and others have just moved on. Some have new albums out, some don’t. And those who do, some are better than others. And many seem to be charging a premium for their concerts!

Personally, I was pretty excited about Triumph, Journey, Asia and Whitesnake. The last three put out albums that were, IMHO, on par with stuff from their heydays (well, the first album the reformed Asia put out didn’t impress me, but the second had some great songs on it). Triumph did a couple shows, but things have kind of fizzled since then. I’d love to see these guys put out a new album!

So, are there any band reunions you’d like to see?

And finally, Happy Easter to those of you who observe such things!

Re: Lunch Report Friday, April 22, 2011

Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:48 am

Muleya, thanks for a very enjoyable week and I am honored to carry on next week. I promise some new things.

I was a die hard Fender man and saw a Legacy HSS on CL about 3 years ago. It was beautiful and I said "what the heck". I contacted him and he wanted a Tele in A G&L but no one had one. He took my Natural American Tele and I have never looked back. I am now 10 G&Ls later and have owned 15. Nuff said!

I was glad to see the Eagles reunite. They were a great band and like many of the successful bands, personal issues get in the way. I think that this is true of most bands, especially when musicians are younger and have a lot to prove. I am not thinking about reunion bands but I really miss some of the great performers that have left us. I am a great fan of live concerts and more so of live concerts that are available on DVD. They give me much more satisfaction than just recordings.

Thanks again Muleya and I will do my best next week to make it interesting. -- Darwin :happy0065:

Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:51 pm

Great week Mule,

Why do I play G&L?
Based on my early love of telecasters, when the Broadcaster and ASAT came out I figured Leo had taken it a step further. When I got one in my hands at a shop and heard those MFD's I knew he had!! :alright: The feel of the neck was added bonus.

Band reunions have been pretty exciting over the past number of years. I am a long-time Eagle fan and swore I would see them "if they ever got back together", but the first time around in the 90's when they pulled the $200 a tick BS I have yet to see them live and doubt I will. Would prefer to have seen them with Bernie Leadon and Randy Meisner anyway. (maybe Joe as well 8-) ) Asia's return is great for me. Their latest release, Omega, is the best in years, some of the old sound in there.

Reunions to wish for would be the Davies brothers do another round with the Kinks.

Happy Easter to you too! :D

Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:23 pm

it took me a long time to find a long scale, single coil guitar that worked for me and after i did, i started looking for more...i tried an MIM Nashville Dlx Tele...didn't care for it much, but saw the possibilities in the design if made better...after buying a Baja Tele i found that i could work with a narrower neck IF the profile was fuller and 'played wider'...which i'd read a couple postings that G&Ls did this...came across a gorgeous ASAT Classic S and bought it...which brought me here...what a fantastic guitar (was just playing it before sitting back at the puter)...i figure another G&L will find it's way to me before long...

Reunions....ummm...the Beatles!...guess that's not gonna happen :-(...
i'm with Darwin...love concert DVDs...never gonna pay what they want for tickets nowadays and don't wanna deal with the crowds anyway...concert DVDs have really improved with great sound and camera work...i recently rewatched the Cream Reunion Concert and the Stones Bridges To Babylon...

good week, Mule...and looking forward to some Darwinisms...

Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:24 pm

I agree on the concert DVDs, I've enjoyed a lot of them. We have a modest surround sound system and a widescreen LCD TV, so it's an enjoyable experience!

Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:51 am

Well I wanted a tele, that led me to G&L as I tried one on a whim. I then did my homework, saved my pennies, and put in a custom order to my liking. I didn't save much compared to an American Deluxe fender by any means, I might even of paid a bit more. Moral of the story, it just sound and felt BETTER. I don't necessarily come back to a company, as when I look for a new guitar, I look for very specific things. I don't possess brand loyalty, I find out who will do what I want in exactitude, and how much. G&Ls only miss was they wouldn't give me Stainless Steel frets at the time, but I justified their guitar was good enough I would let it slide. I am very light on frets as it is, it has been about 7 months and my frets don't show any wear.

Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:05 am

Why do I play G&L?

It was a long time ago, and I am not 100% sure what it was.
What I do remember was the jumbo frets and the solid feel of the guitar.

As for Reunions, I think Led Zeppelin would be great. Rumors have them playing in the SuperBowl, but football is on shaky ground at the moment.

Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:41 pm

Don't have my G&L yet but I one thing that I have loved about what G&Ls I have played around with is the necks, I love the #1 neck. most of the G&L's I could try were legacys and although S type shapes don't really do it for me (at least until I found G&L) I loved the necks! couple that fantastic neck with MFD PuPs that sound exactly like the sound I was looking for in teles with that comfy T type shape... And they are after all "the real ones". A Led Zeppelin reunion would be awesome.