On G&L guitars, I prefer…

3 Bolt Necks, because I have a screw loose too.
50%
4 Bolt Necks, because I’m a square like the neck plate.
28%
No preference
11%
Angelina Jolie, because I haven’t stopped thinking about her since yesterday’s poll.
11%

Total votes : 18

Lunch Report: Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:06 am

Ooppss, I just filed a report to the BBC on what I had for dinner…

Leftover pizza and donuts…yeah, I’m one of those health food nuts…

G&L Question: Today’s Poll addresses a topic I’ve seen a lot of comments about. 3 or 4 bolt necks. I don’t really know the history of it all, but find it interesting that Fender didn’t go to 3 bolt necks until the CBS years, and afterwards went back to 4 bolts. G&Ls started out with 3 bolters. If the 3 bolt neck was a Leo idea, he didn’t use it until G&L, I guess. Fender caught a lot of flack for going to 3 bolts. So the whole thing is odd to me. If it’s the neck-tilting function that makes many prefer the 3 bolt, does the newer Fender 4 bolt design with tilt-neck mechanism make a difference to them? Enquiring Minds want to know.

Non-G&L Topic: At one point I had 14 guitars, 4 amps (all tube), a couple preamps, various cabs, pedals, etc. Not long afterward, my G/F and I split up, so I started selling stuff since I’d be in a small apartment and needed cash. Last spring, I had 10 guitars and started revamping and wanted to get down to 8. I now have 12, lol. I AM, however, selling a few again. I wish I could keep every guitar I buy. I’m now at a point where I just can’t let any more depart. 1 G&L, 4 Fenders, 1 Gibson, 1 Dean, and 2 PRS, is what I’ll have left. I sometimes wish I had back a few that I’ve sold, but I love the ones I have now so much that I’m fine with it, and I have the tones I want well covered. How about you?

FLOTD - http://www.kaneva.com/asset/assetDetails.aspx?assetId=5479379&communityId=0
You’ll need more volume for this one…

Re: Lunch Report: Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:20 am

Chicken Popper Wrap from the crapeteria...disgusting.

G&L: I prefer the 3-bolts because a) they're different, b) they have a tilt adjust (which I've never used) and c) they look cool as hell. I have no idea what Fender is using now, nor do I care. G&L's 4-bolt plate looks plain to me, almost unsightly due to the lack of adornment. At least dress it up, you know?

Non-G&L: I once was at several dozen guitars. Then I was at a half-dozen. Shortly after that point it was a dozen and a half. They evaporated back down to a half-dozen again. Then it was a dozen. Now I'm at, ummm, hold on....no, I'm still at a half-dozen. One G&L ASAT Z3, one Heritage H-137D (First Edition, so somewhat rare), one Hamer Studio FM (with wraptail...mmmm), one Hamer P90 Special (on loan to nephew), one Ovation Elite and one Adamas II (from the first year of production). Of course, there's the Partscaster we're building, but it's still in pieces and doesn't count. There are a boatload of Heritage guitars I wish I had back, and of course the Comanche and ASAT Classic, too. Especially that Comanche. Dumb dumb dumb.

Can't listen to the track at work. Well, I could, but it'd take forever, as I'm on a 'tethered' laptop. :\ Shhh, don't tell my boss. ;)

Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:33 pm

3 vs 4 bolt: I like the 3 bolt for the exact same reasons as Dick Seacup

Guitar collection: at the most I had six guitars at one time, that dwindled down to one in the great purging of 2004. Now I'm at three, so halfway back :mrgreen: Of the guitars I sold I only miss one (96 Am Std Fender strat) the others were guitars I had acquired as I learned to play so most were lower end, the new collection is much better quality 2 G&L ASAT Specials (BBE and Leo era) and my trusty Epiphone electric acoustic (the one guitar I didn't sell).
I have been GASing for an SC-2, Bluesboy, S500 and something Vox-y like the AC15, if I can find a good deal on the AC4 I might grab one to play around with since funds are limited, but the 16 ohm output bugs me, both of my cabs are 4 ohms, I guess I could always re-wire the 2x10 to be 16 ohms though :think:

-Dave

Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:10 pm

Good day Jaxx, Lunch was a ham sandwich and good it was.

Neck bolt topic has been kicked around a lot and many like the 3 bolt because it has the micro tilt. I prefer the 4 bolt and wish it had a micro tilt. I have two ASAT Specials that I had to shim the neck to lower the action to my liking. I am also going to shim my classic S so I can lower it more. This would be so easy if it had the micro tilt. I know that most would never use it as you don't need it unless you set the action low. I like the high E at about .040 thousands. It is more common on the ASAT Specials or any that use the Saddle Lock bridge, to require the shim. The necks on these G&Ls are really sweet and work so well with lowered action.

Guitar collection? OK, you asked. I don't know that most would call it a collection, but I have way more than I need, and not enough. I have G&L, PRS, Fender, Parker, Hamer, Musicman, Gretsch, B C Rich, Ovation, and Adamas. Just got rid of a Gibson after Christmas. If I just had one of each of these it wouldn't be so bad. I have fifteen Fenders, eleven G&Ls and and it goes down from there. I was going over some photos the other night and it was sobering to realize that I have had over 60 in the last 5 years and the current number is over 40. Excessive?? Most likely, but they are a better investment for me than booze and stray ladies. Remember, if I were doing that I would loose half the guitars. The guitars keep me amused, entertained and out of Ginnys way. Keep in mind that I have been retired for more than 3 months and we still talk to each other. That in itself would be some degree of success. Now I mentioned booze but that doesn't mean that I can't have a cold one! What do these guys do that suffer from GAS???? -- Darwin :evilgrin:

Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:39 pm

Darwin, that's not a collection...that's a HORDE...lol
i knew a guy who had 137 at one point...and have a bud who is somewhere around there...
i generally buy one, check it out thoroughly, then decide what to sell to make up for it...i usually lose some money on each sale, but this allows me to really try out each guitar on my equipment, at my leisure, over a period of time...i've learned what works best for me and have been able to try out a lot of guitars i wouldn't otherwise ever see...like my G&L...i had a few Hamers...liked them...eventually learned the necks just don't work well for me...gave up on Gibsons till i finally sprung for a 335...now been kicking my butt for trying to get that tone cheaper for so long...
i figured neck bolts had been well discussed before, but i haven't been privy to it so i wanted to see what ya'll had to say...
i quit spending on the stray ladies and cut way down on the booze...

Dave, i'm also gassing for a Bluesboy and an S500...

Dick, that's why i only have breakfast at our cafeteria, lol.....have yet to even SEE a Heritage in person...

Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:11 pm

BadJaxx wrote:Darwin, that's not a collection...that's a HORDE...lol.

I believe that the correct terminology for Darwins 'collection' is a GUITARSENAL!

I currently have six guitars - 3 ASAT Classics, an old Baldwin semi, a Washburn Dimebag Darrell and a Classical guitar. oh, and a parts-o-caster, so seven... and a banjo. I'm up to five amps since last week, but I'm trying to offload a couple so I can pay for the one I bought! I'm pretty sure I'm set for guitars. The Classic is the perfect guitar for me and despite try to buy other types of guitars I can never bond with them like I do with the ASATs. I still want to add a Special or an SC-2 and will do that some time in the future, maybe if I can sell the Baldwin.

I think the 3-bolt is neat for the micro-tilt adjustment. I gave my '97 3-bolt a good flogging yesterday after I "Esquired" it, man its a good guitar.

And Jaxx, thanks for sharing your recordings with us :thumbup:

Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:27 pm

Jaxx, I just jumped on fast internet to hear your cut. Nice sound, clean and simple. I love the guitar work and the tone of the bass.

I hope you didn't go cold turkey on booze and the ladies!!!! --Darwin

Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:04 pm

blargfromouterspace wrote:And Jaxx, thanks for sharing your recordings with us :thumbup:

that has an air of finality to it....tough...i got 2 more days left, lol

Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:15 pm

God help Ginny if you ever got GAS Darwin. :D .

I have no preference re. 3 or 4-bolt necks. I'm still thinking about Angelina Jolie if truth be told. My S-500 is old enough to have 3 bolts and micro tilt but I've never needed to adjust it. The 3 bolts have been just fine as far as stability is concerned.

I have 8 guitars - 3 G&L's, 2 Fender strats, a Cole Clark tele clone, Washburn J9 Jazz guitar and Larrivee acoustic. I'd like to get rid of a couple to fund a quality 2-humbucker guitar but I'm attached to all of them for various reasons. Ideally I'd like to end up with 1 strat, 1 tele, 1 semi-hollow, 1 dual humbucker and my Larrivee. As good as my S-500 sounds, the neck shape gives me hand cramps, so she might have to go once I work up the courage. I have 3 amps, 2 tube (Fender, Vox) and one SS (Peavey) and that more than covers the tones I need.

Good week so far Jaxx.

Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:46 pm

BadJaxx wrote:Ooppss, I just filed a report to the BBC on what I had for dinner…

Leftover pizza and donuts…yeah, I’m one of those health food nuts…

Pizza and donuts? Ok Homer.

G&L Question:

My pitiful G&L collection has 1 3-bolt and 1 4-bolt. I've only adjusted the micro tilt once in all the years I've had the 3-bolt but it is comforting at night knowing that its there if I ever need it.

Non-G&L Topic:

I've never been one to have a large geetar collection. At this point I'd actually rather get another acoustic.

BTW - I see you're also a fan of Angelina Jolie's philanthropic work. I hear that she is also a fairly attractive gal. One of these days I'll have to google her and see if there are any photos of her on the interweb to confirm or deny this.

Jeff

Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:11 pm

Bolt issue: Turns out I don't really care, but it's nice to know the tilt adjustment is there should I need it on the threes...

Guitar Collection Question: Over the past couple of years, I've sold my high end guitars (Anderson, Grosh) to buy a couple of Leo-era G&L basses (which I need to learn how to play) and a couple of small vintage tube amplifiers. I'm pretty sure I have 3 G&L guitars, 2 G&L basses, a Japanese Fender ('72 Thinline Reissue), a Hamer P-90 Special, a Gibson LP DC Studio, a (Rhode Island) Guild Acoustic-electric, and an old Yamaha acoustic.
Tell me about your Thinline. - ed

PS: I like your music.

Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:21 pm

3 bolts or 4? No Preference--but I'm only talking aesthetics because I've never owned a 3 bolt G&L.

I have this many guitars + 2.

From left to right:
Top row: Danelectro 56 Pro Ltd, 2002 S-500, 1999 Legacy, 1998 ASAT Special, 2006 Heritage H-137
Bottom row: 1992 National Radio-Tone, 1973 Yamaha FG-200, 1993 Lowden D32, 2004 Larrivee OM-09, 2002 Larrivee Parlor, 2002 Gibson ES-135

This pic was taken in 2008 and I'd forgotten to include my Lucida Picado Flamenco guitar. That means I've only bought one guitar since then--a vintage white SC-2 reissue. Guess that means the GAS is under control. FTR, the only guitar I owned between 1979 and 1999 was the Yamaha FG-200. I bought it new in '73, and decided to keep it when I sold all my electric gear in '79 (the year my daughter was born). It's still looks good from a distance, but it's definitely lost its showroom shine. For fun and to change it up, I rehearsed with the Dano last weekend--love that guitar, the lipstick pups RAWK, and it's got a GREAT neck! I may bust it out for the next gig.

--GDub

Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:59 pm

I'd like to have the micro-tilt back, though I think I've only ever had to use it once. If your're not messing with the neck, and the neck is right from the factory, you're probably never going to need it. I have no experience with the Fender guitars, but come to think of it I did adjust the neck on my Precision "Lyte" bass using the neck tilt. Easy as piie, and it is stable. I have both 3 and 4 bolt G&Ls in my collection, and as long as none of them need adjustment, I'm happy.

But here's something to think about--how would you like to have this collection:

1969 Fender Telecaster Thinline, Ash, w/Bigsby
1965 Harmony Soverign Jumbo acoustic
1960 Fender Duo-Sonic in Desert Sand and RW neck
1970 Gibson ES-150DC Natural
1970 Giobson ES-330TD long neck in sunburst
1960 Fender Stratocaster
1975 Gibson Les Paul '55 Special Reissue
1972 Martin D-18
1994 Ibanez Ghostrider GR-520 in Orange Sunburst
1972 Univox Les Paul Sunburst copy

1965 Fender Bandmaster and matching 212 cab
1965 Fender Deluxe Reverb
1964 Fender Tremolux (BF) and matching 210 cab
1980's Fender 75 head and matching 112 EV Force cab
1970's Fender SF Twin Reverb. MV, 135 watt model
1980's Fender Super Champ w/EV 10" speaker
1987 Marshall JCM 800 4010 50-watt single channel MV 112 combo

Most of this list was either stolen from me, or I had to give it up because of extreme financial hardship. The exceptions are the Fender 75, the Ibanez Ghostrider and the D-18.

That is a pretty decent collection in and of itself.

As for my current collection, I think I have Darwin beat by a couple--I currently have 48 in my "guitarsenal".

9 Legacys
2 Legacy Specials
2 Comanches
2 S-500
1 ASAT Deluxe
7 Martin dreadnaughts
2 Takamine 12-strings
1 Taylor 710CE Dread
1 Ibanez Artwood Dread
2 Les Paul Supremes
2 Les Paul 1960 Classics
2 Les Paul Classic Antique
3 Les Paul Historics
1 Les Paul Elegant
1 Gibson ES-335
1 Ibanez AS-120 Artstar
1 Hondo 935 (335 clone)
2 Music Man Sabre IIs
2 DanElectro Innuendo 12-strings
1 Fender Precision "Lyte" bass
1 Ibanez Artist 5-string banjo

I have a lot of dupes. The G&Ls are all set up the same, virtually interchangeable. I did the same with the Les Pauls. I sort of got to the point where I figured out what I liked, what worked for me, and that's what I bought. I'd love a Gretsch, and a Ric, and a really nice Florentine L-5CES, but they are just not my style. The vintage market got so crazy, people getting took by fakes and scammed--I decided to make some investments and buy what I like, and instruments that I would play out. No point in having them kept in a safe. And when the time came to sell, I figure most of mine might appreciate a couple of hundred bucks. I think it's easier to sell a guitar for $800 than it is to sell a vintage guitar for $28,000.

And I will day that I have no life outside of music, LOL! Guitars are my passions. Don't ski, don't have a fancy car project, or a boat, or scuba gear, or fishing gear, or hunt, or a Hummel figureine collection.

MUSIC IS MY LIFE!!!

The collection is overwhelming and they seem to be all over the house. I do have five or six pieces I'm ready to let go of: my ASAT Deluxe doesn't get my play time; ther's one Legacy that is a dupe and it can go. I think I'm done with the Taylor, preferring the Martins; and so on. There's only a couple more items that I really want, but there's not much I want to let go of, either.

Five too many and six not enough!

Oh and,...Angelina is okay, but I'd really rather spend my time with a dark-haired beauty like Jessica Biel, or Catherine Zeta-Jones, or Keira Knightly or Jessica Alba.

Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:31 pm

3 or 4? The 1983 Fender Stratocaster Elite has four and the micro-tilt. I've sold a USA BC Rich Warlock LH and a USA Strat(1992) and regret both. I may re-open my Ebay account and sell a few things this summer.

Cheers,

Will

Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:06 pm

BadJaxx wrote:
blargfromouterspace wrote:And Jaxx, thanks for sharing your recordings with us :thumbup:

that has an air of finality to it....tough...i got 2 more days left, lol

No, no! Keep them coming!

Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:14 pm

3 vs 4 bolt: I like the 3 bolt for the exact same reasons as Dick Seacup

Years of loving telecasters and ASAT's have lead to the current collection:
ASAT '88
ASAT Classic Sig '92
ASAT parts JD5 with '88 neck and unknown body date
ASAT Deluxe
ASAT Z3 SH
ASAT Jr
Fender '62 tele reissue Japan 1985 stock
Fender '62 tele reissue Japan 1985 with Broadcaster bridge p-up
Squire Fat tele - replaced p-ups and added graphtech saddles and nut (fun loud little shredder)
Arbor Fender '62 tele knockoff black dbl bound with mini hummer bridge p-up
mini Strat for the kids
Guild '84 acoustic
Martin D-41 2007
Fender Vibro Champ
Fender Blues Deluxe (original version)
Mesa Boogie F-50
SPOILER - expect to pick up a Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special next week!!

Hard to call out a favorite at this time, can get different tones from every one. Only ones that are gone that I miss are a '78 Tele and mid '60s Musicmaster. '78 was stolen and the Musicmaster was first electric guitar. Would like to get a Tribute ASAT HB, and ASAT Super, ASAT Trinity and a Will Ray ASAT. Always searching for the sound in my head. :D

Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:41 pm

Love the 3-bolt for reasons stated above by many.

Some stunning collections listed above! Nice guys! :happy0065:

Currently my collection is up to 43 stringed instruments and 4 amps. Last addition: a pristine ASAT Classic III Limited Edition received today and purchased at Maple Street Guitar in Atlanta, GA (shout out to Ted and the crew for fantastic service!) Haven't had time yet to document it which is a large part of this 'hobby'. Most of the guitars (29) are G&L's and most of those (23 or 24 if you want to include the Commemorative bass) are ASAT's. Do I have GAS? You betcha my golly! Am I on a mission? Yes, that too. And although still missing certain type of guitars, tonally I'm pretty well covered.

- Jos

Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:52 am

some of you guys simply have too many guitars...cluttering up your homes...good news is that i have space available for guitar storage and will be happy to send you a list of which of your guitars i will store for you...:)

Sam, the Mesa LSS is a great amp...

my best rig was (all in the living room)...

Carl Martin Compressor - SD Twin Tube Classic - VS H20 stereo out to Mesa Blue Angel 4x10 also driving THD 2x12 and Mesa LSS 1x12 also driving EH 4x10....

my living room ROCKED!

Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:37 am

a Washburn Dimebag Darrell

Jamie, I would have never guessed that one!

a (Rhode Island) Guild Acoustic-electric
:shock:

ed, I'm hoping to add one of those to my collection one day. It's too bad the Westerly plant closed down I'd like to have taken a tour, on the plus side there are good luthiers around now so when some drunk fool knocks a PA speaker onto your guitar snapping the headstock off you can get some pretty flawless work done for around $50

-Dave

Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:00 am

Yow, your collection is well thought out, definitely a master plan and awesome!!. Boogies is no slouch either! I would like to pick one from each of you that have posted. Then I may possibly have enough.-- Darwin :thumbup: