Lunch Report, Friday 8 APR 11

Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:19 pm

Whoa! Time flies! I bet you all were thinking I was skipping out on the Lunch Report, weren't you! Well, I didn't...I had a last minute interview scheduled and it was FOR THE ENTIRE AFTERNOON. Woo-hoo! So, I didn't get a chance to post, but here goes...

Lunch was a combination ham and turkey on 432 whole grain cardboard with light mayo, yellow mustard and a slice of swiss. Yeah, I'm not very imaginative. On the side I had a handful of Terra Chips. Have you guys tried these? They're made from root vegetables and are very colorful and quite tasty. I like to believe they're not as bad for me as regular potato chips. I can dream, right? I had some sort of herbal Teavana tea to drink.

As long as I'm in an interviewing state of mind (did I mention that it was grueling? Panel interviews are teh suxxor!)...

Imagine you're the hiring manager for any department at G&L. What is the weirdest, yet most company-related question you could come up with?

I've been asked some pretty bizarre questions in interviews. "If you were a crouton on a salad and just about to be eaten, what would you do?" or "If you're picture were on the cover of a magazine, which magazine would it be and what would the headline read?" I always want to reply with, "Seriously? That's what you want to know?"

Anyway, I had in mind G&L-specific questions like:

"If you were a spray gun, which color would make you happiest to spray?" (Of course the answer would be "blonde")

-or-

"If you were a double-action truss rod, how would you feel being sealed up inside the neck with a big fat slab of rosewood over your head?" (Of course, the answer would be "I'm a truss rod, truss rods don't have feelings.")

What you got? I know you can come up with something crazy, it's Friday, let's do this! :)

The answers to the 'how big of a deal are birthdays' question confirm my belief that I'm not weird for not turning every birthday into a P. T. Barnum-esque spectacle. Thanks for the support! :D Say, did you know that until the 4th century Christianity viewed birthday celebrations as pagan rituals and they were not allowed? Crazy, eh?

Here's your off-topic question to finish out the week:

What are your big plans for the weekend? Do they include gigging? If so...details!

And for those who pay attention to such things:

Next week's Lunch Reporter will be BadJaxx!

Thank you all for giving me the privilege and honor of being the LR this week. I have really enjoyed it. I'll try not to slide back into lurker-mode. What a great community!

Re: Lunch Report, Friday 8 APR 11

Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:36 pm

No big plans this weekend, might be buying another guitar today, though.

As for the question,...

"When you fondle the curves of your G&L Legacy-bodied guitar, whose body do you wish you were fondling?"

Bill

Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:20 pm

breaded whitefish, hash browns, mac & cheese, toast...yummm...

Interview Question: "do you like to sniff paint or glue?"

while most of us agree with you about birthdays, we also agree that you ARE weird...

i'll be DJing an online virtual world party tonite...need to work on finding a new live broadcasting site to play live at the same virtual world...

Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:25 pm

"Imagine you're the hiring manager for any department at G&L. What is the weirdest, yet most company-related question you could come up with?"

I would ask the interviewee what they thought MFD REALLY stood for! ;+)

Weekend plans? Well, the wife (a CPA) is in tax season hell right now, so priority one is running interference - keeping the kids away. Luckily, I'll be running the kids around to flag football and swimming on Saturday, then Sunday School and basketball and swimming on Sunday. I probably need to find some time to check on and lend assistance to my rather addled old parents, so I probably need to drag the kids there as well. On the bright side, once the kids are in bed in the evenings, I will drink and play guitar alone in my basement. Cheers! - ed

PS: Great week and glad to have you back around here, Dick. Hope you stick around!

Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:29 pm

Great week not enough time to participate Mr. Seacup glad to see ya back in the G&L frame of mind. :alright:

Imagine you're the hiring manager for any department at G&L. What is the weirdest, yet most company-related question you could come up with?
"I'll give you four bolts and a neck plate, how will you use them?" Expected answer..."Three bolts and neck plate to hold on new G&L design, and I'll keep the forth for the guy that looses one of his." :evilgrin:

What are your big plans for the weekend? Do they include gigging? If so...details!
All work and no fun. Headed to a convention starting tomorrow, maybe I can find a decent bar band or shop with an old Broadcaster hiding in the corner with a low price tag. :)

TGIF!

Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:57 am

Boogie Bill wrote:No big plans this weekend, might be buying another guitar today, though.

As for the question,...

"When you fondle the curves of your G&L Legacy-bodied guitar, whose body do you wish you were fondling?"

Bill

Another guitar sounds rather vague. I think we need details. Is it a Will Ray in bass boat silver flake? With the mirrored pick guard and B-Bender? Love that question, by the way. Of course, the only answer I could possibly give would be "my wife's." Although, there's this waitress at... :shh:

BadJaxx wrote:breaded whitefish, hash browns, mac & cheese, toast...yummm...

Interview Question: "do you like to sniff paint or glue?"

while most of us agree with you about birthdays, we also agree that you ARE weird...

i'll be DJing an online virtual world party tonite...need to work on finding a new live broadcasting site to play live at the same virtual world...

I will allow that I definitely fall on the 'more weird than normal' part of the curve. I like it that way, though. Keeps everyone around me guessing. "Is today the day he flips out completely?" Heh. Your question reminds me of when I was a kid (probably long before you were born) and model glue was still made out of 'good stuff.' Putting together a model kit necessitated a certain amount of inadvertent huffing. I sometimes wonder if that's part of the reason that young boys of yore seem so much more calm than boys today...today's kids aren't building plastic models, huffing glue and spacing out in their bedrooms. HAHA. Wait. I might be on to something here...or maybe just on something. ;)

zapcosongs wrote:"Imagine you're the hiring manager for any department at G&L. What is the weirdest, yet most company-related question you could come up with?"

I would ask the interviewee what they thought MFD REALLY stood for!

Weekend plans? Well, the wife (a CPA) is in tax season hell right now, so priority one is running interference - keeping the kids away. Luckily, I'll be running the kids around to flag football and swimming on Saturday, then Sunday School and basketball and swimming on Sunday. I probably need to find some time to check on and lend assistance to my rather addled old parents, so I probably need to drag the kids there as well. On the bright side, once the kids are in bed in the evenings, I will drink and play guitar alone in my basement. Cheers! - ed

PS: Great week and glad to have you back around here, Dick. Hope you stick around!

Years and years ago, before I learned the truth, I thought MFD stood for "Magnetic Field Design." After hanging out with you guys in GBLDP-land though, I eventually picked up on the fact that the acronym was one of Leo Fender's few conceits and really stood for "My Finest Design."

Would I get the job? Heh.

Tax season...ugh. We've used the same CPA for years and years. When I had the business he saved me a lot of money (hint for those at home: the tax codes are designed in such a way that corporations get all the benefit and individuals carry the burden...IMHO) and was a very cool guy. After I dissolved the corp, we continued to use him for personal financial stuff. Last year he made us sign a document that he wasn't liable for anything, did everything at my direction and wouldn't defend the return(s) against the IRS without some serious compensation (on an hourly basis). I thought that was pretty crappy. After all, if I knew enough to tell him how to fill out the return, I wouldn't have paid him his inflated fee, right? This year I said "screw it" and used Turbo Tax. It bummed me out, though, to do that.

sam wrote:Great week not enough time to participate Mr. Seacup glad to see ya back in the G&L frame of mind.

"I'll give you four bolts and a neck plate, how will you use them?" Expected answer..."Three bolts and neck plate to hold on new G&L design, and I'll keep the forth for the guy that looses one of his."

All work and no fun. Headed to a convention starting tomorrow, maybe I can find a decent bar band or shop with an old Broadcaster hiding in the corner with a low price tag.

TGIF!

Now this guy has a winner! :clap: Four bolts are for sissies! It's like wearing a belt and suspenders! I never should have sold that ASAT Classic (sigh...or the Comanche, that's the one I miss the most even though it had four bolts).

Have a great weekend all!

Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:42 am

Welcome back Mr Seacup! I've enjoyed your week even though I haven't had opportunities to participate.

Dick Seacup wrote:Imagine you're the hiring manager for any department at G&L. What is the weirdest, yet most company-related question you could come up with?

"Ok .... you're a Tele ... so how've you been feeling for the last 30 years?"

The interview question that caught me off guard the most was " I've had enough off people telling me how good they are .... so why don't you tell me about a project you had responsibility for that didn't turn out too well ... and what could you have done better."

Dick Seacup wrote:What are your big plans for the weekend?

This weekend looks like being dominated by a couple of things. Shirl came down with a dose of the flu mid week and I've got a scratchy throat .....

... the other thing will be trying to tame our latest acquisitions -

After their first day with us chewing up everything in the house and garden I wanted to name them with a G&L theme - Rampage and Invader! Saddly I got overyuled and they are now known as Molly and Oscar. And yes Southpaw my daughter named the fluff ball after that puppy of yours :-)

cheers, Robbie

Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:41 am

WWII fighter plane models were my fave...after completion, i'd hang them from the ceiling in my room with thread...my best job was a camo painted Spitfire...
but Jr High School Wood Shop was where i really got infumigated...circa 1969...
when i look out the window of the asylum where i reside, i see all those normal people and am glad i'm weird...

Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:46 pm

Weird interview question: If you were a pickup would you be humbucking or single coil?

This weekend its just taxes, taxes, taxes... and its real cold; Unseasonably so...

No gigs and Thursday's open mike was cancelled. Not a good week

Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:48 pm

Bill -
Is that the Music Cafe gig that got canned? - ed