Lunch Report, Wednesday 6 APR 11

Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:56 am

Wow, this week is suddenly flying by. I mean, here it is Wednesday already...er, wait, I thought yesterday was Wednesday. <sigh>

Seriously, though, it is hard to believe Hump Day is upon us so fast. As I get older, it seems like time just keeps moving ever more quickly. On the up side, that means sailing season will be here sooner than expected. On the down side, I haven't even begun getting the boat ready. <big sigh>

The answers re: The Bassman Question from yesterday were awesome. The reply from yowhatsshakin was particularly detailed. I either didn't know or managed to forget about the Buffalo Bros origins of the Blues Boy/Bluesboy. On a side note, I have always loved looking at the pictures on Buffalo Bros web site. The photography is top notch. Wilcutts is about the same level of goodness. I wonder why more vendors don't take the time to put up quality photos. Hrmm.

Lunch today is a turkey sandwich (bread, turkey, mayo, mustard; no lettuce, no cheese) and a handful of mini pretzels accompanied by pu-erh tea and various fresh fruit. Are they really "fresh" though? That's another thing I wonder about...

G&L topics are challenging. Mostly because it's tough to not rehash old ones and bore you all to tears. I hope I'm doing OK so far. I was thinking about the first couple of reports this week and about the way modern business is conducted. Specifically, I was reading a report about a company that trademarked the phrase "urban homesteading" and is actively and aggressively suing anyone who uses it without license. This whole crazy trademark/licensing thing seems to have gotten a little out of control. Although, it could provide an avenue for a little fun...

Pick one non-guitar related product that you would buy if it were G&L branded and explain what the appeal would be.

The kicker is 'non-guitar' I think. So, this is a cross-licensing/lifestyle marketing exercise. Clothing seems like a cop out, so maybe we should restrict that, too. I don't know, run with it....

I'm not much of a brand whore, but I do like high quality goods (well, as long as they also represent high value...like G&L!). For fun, I would consider purchasing a set of sterling silver cufflinks that were shaped like the G&L logo off. As my only caveat, they'd have to be tastefully worked; not oversized, the treble clef would have to be crisp and identifiable, no inlaid gemstones (or faux gemstones). I highly doubt anyone would ever make them, though. :mrgreen:

On the non-G&L front, maybe we'll stray away from instruments altogether today.

How's the economy where you're at?

It's pretty flat here, although it's worse in other areas. I've been at my present job far too many years, and there's no room/possibility for advancement or growth. I've been steadily searching for alternatives for nearly nine months. It's like trying to find hen's teeth. Anyone else making (or attempting to make) a job change in this environment? How's that working out for you? (NOTE: Not wanting to get political...just talking personal impact of economy here)

My nephew came and picked up the Hamer last night. He and my brother-in-law hung out for a while and chatted. It was good to catch up. My brother-in-law and I used to do a lot of stuff together back in the day. We reminisced about funny memories: watching The Wall, listening to Dark Side of the Moon, drinking, playing pool, drinking, more drinking. It was blast. Anyway, said nephew was excited and displayed the correct level of thankfulness for the loaner. I told him if he sold it he'd owe me 3x the value. His eyes went all Marty Feldman. :shock: I honestly hope his musical ambitions pan out.

I loaned the same nephew a bass rig (Peavey Centurion Mk. III head and a killer, vintage 15" E-V in a custom, ported cab) many years ago. Haven't seen it since. Maybe some day he'll return them, I guess. Maybe some day he'll have a son who wants to play and will discover these relics in the basement. In which case, they'll have served a higher purpose than sitting in my basement unused. :oops:

Re: Lunch Report, Wednesday 6 APR 11

Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:06 pm

Hi Dick, I'm finaly getting around to reading the lunch reports this week, glad to see you back around. First question, why are you cutting what looks like pressboard for that Tele project and why two pieces? why not just put that master template on your solid piece of alder, cut and route? what am I missing here?

Loaners, My lead guitar player and best friend since kindergarten, Brian, never could afford a good guitar, if he did at times get a nice axe it wouldn't be long before it hit the pawn shop, back when we were gigging he always used one of the other guitarest's guitars. one time I sold him (real cheap) an old interceptor which he hadn't paid for yet and I ended up seeing it on E-Bay being sold by somebody else, he did finally pay me but the seller got twice what I charged him for it! I got tired of lending him guitars so three years ago I just gave him one of mine, an old Ibanez that I hardly ever played, and told him if he pawned it or sold it I disown him!! Brian is the guy from where I learned that to0ne is in the hands of the player and not in the rig he's playing, he could make a piece of crap sound like heaven.

I've also got two nephews that are into music, I don't bother calling it lending I just give them stuff and tell them they CAN'T sell it! the list gets pretty long here, an early 80's SB-1 together with two 15" cabs and a old Peavey head, misc. guitars, amps, drums and last wewek I bought them some recording equiptment, they do have to come over to do my yard work, I don't want to spoil them :crazy:

The economy here isn't good but it's not effecting me.

Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:53 pm

G&L Brand? How about the Ford Explorer, G&L Edition. Excellent, Reliable quality, beautiful finishes, runs great...all for a very attractive price!

or...

They could leverage some of their endorsement deals. Like the Black Eyed Peas. So...how about Genuine Fullerton Ave Aged CA Whiskey in the limited run Fergie Decanter. I was thinking a limited run Will Ray Skull Decanter, but decided to listen to will and look at Fergie...Maybe that's why I am not in marketing!

Duck, Great story about your guitar playing buddy. Some guys have it, don't they? Thanks!

Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:36 pm

westsideduck wrote:Hi Dick, I'm finaly getting around to reading the lunch reports this week, glad to see you back around. First question, why are you cutting what looks like pressboard for that Tele project and why two pieces? why not just put that master template on your solid piece of alder, cut and route? what am I missing here?

Hey, Duck! "It's good to be seen!" as an old guy I used to know was wont to say whenever someone would exclaim, "Fred! How are you? It's great to see you out and about!" HAHA.

The MDF is for the working templates. The reason for making the working template is that way I avoid--or greatly reduce the likelihood of--screwing up the master if I have--or my son has--a router or saw slip. If we were going to build just one, it wouldn't be as much of an issue. I suspect this will not be a one-time project, though. :)

Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:39 pm

One of the things that I really cherish is a 3" wide chocolate-colored leather strap that came with my first Music Man Sabre II. It is beautiful, fairly long, and nice and thick 1-ply leather--adjustable with the slotted end and tail-loop. This was part of the case candy of the Music Man Guitars at that time. It is embossed with the Music Man logo.

I really wish G&L had a great strap like this one. Even CARVIN offers a beautiful leather strat from Levy's Leathers embossed with the Carvin logo. I understand not including one with each guitar as it leaves the factory, but I do wish they offered one in the store. I have 16 G&Ls, and each one has it's own strap. I think most of mine are from Franklin Straps, but I have a couple of croc-embossed straps from Atlas, one from Fort Bryan, and one from Italia Leathers. One is a custom hand-tooled leather strap from a local artist, a gift from an old flame. That's a lot of dough tied up in straps.

I think you could offer a good plain leather strap, embossed with the G&L logo, 2-1/2" wide, adjustable to 56"; and offer them in black, dark brown or tan. And then I would also offer one of the ballistic nylon straps in black, with a buckle adjustment up to 63", with a large white G&L logo on it.

Okay, so this really isn't "non-guitar" stuff, but I think it is a good start. It really is a product that G&L should offer.

Heck, I'm probably good for 16 of them--at least!

Bil

Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:40 pm

I'd like some G&L branded power tools - sturdy, high quality and priced right.

The Economy - :yawn: I have no idea about money stuff. I'm a full time student and I am finding it difficult to get a part-time job outside of the band stuff I'm doing, so maybe that's a sign. For the time being I'm enjoying living on my government student allowance (which barely covers food and rent, if you're frugal) and spending my gig money on gear! Our dollar is very strong at the moment compared to the US$, so gear prices have plummeted. Price tags in the guitar shops have been dropped accordingly, so there are bargains out there and I'm taking full advantage of it while it lasts!

Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:22 pm

G&L Question: I'd like a pair of stainless steel G&L salt and pepper grinders in Margarita Metallic finish. That would act as a cheap and useful substitute till I can get a real G&L guitar in the same colour.

Non G&L Question:
The Australian economy is supposed to be doing well, so our government tells us, but I sense that the majority of Australians are not feeling much prosperity. The exception would be if you're in the mining industry. I was made redundant with 10 others in 2009 just after the GFC and only 3 of us have managed to find any work in our field (science). Those that have found work are all working jobs far below our levels of experience, but the more satisfying jobs are just not out there at the moment. I sense that a lot of employers used the GFC as an excuse to shift their R&D (and scientists) off-shore. The same probably applies to many other fields.

I'd dearly love a better job but just being able to pay off the mortgage is a bonus right now!

Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:40 pm

Dick, good to see you back and like some others, this is the first day that I have had a chance to post. My Goldwing is back on the road and put about 60 mi on it today. I have been watching.

Lunch today was a big warm pretzel and it was good.

If I went back in time I would think that Leo should be like Henry Ford and have one basic color with many shades of Red. Seriously there isn't much I would change.

I like you guitar project and keep us informed as things continue. Like Boogie Bill, I have over 40 guitar straps and think G&L should have straps. All American Deluxe Fenders come with a real nice leather strap and straplocks. I think most would be willing to pay the offset in price. I have several types and my favorite is the Fender leather strap that comes with the American Deluxe. I have at least 30 of them and have bought many on the bay.

I am thankful to be retired and no longer in this job market. It has been difficult and I believe that most of us will be going through a lifestyle adjustment. Ginny and I will be fine but I worry about the kids although they are making it fine. What does the future bring? -- Darwin

Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:37 pm

i actually had a little lunch today...hotdog with relish and a cupcake...

i have no interest in a guitar company logo (or any other such) on a non guitar gear product as that kind of stuff is just marketing and you pay more for their free advertising, lol...
i have quality guitars but i'm really not concerned with the name on the headstock...even have a Squier at the moment...and i'd happily play an Epi LP if i found one with a neck i liked that sounded and played like i want (came REAL close with the Epi LP Custom Silverburst)

i'm fortunate to have a fairly recessionproof job (knock on wood) but i know people who are having a rough time right now...and the current run of price increases, which are mostly due to the rises in oil price and corn products, are affecting us all...the recovery is painfully slow (knew it would be) and these other factors aren't helping...
good to hear the Outback dollar is strong...when i was in Canada in '01 and '02, the Canadian dollar was at 62 cents USD...now it's higher than USD...IIRC it passed us 2 or 3 years ago...

Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:47 pm

Remember the early aught advertising campaigns with a cable going into a Comanche with 'This cable just got lucky'? That phrase states a lot but in a non-overt way. I would get anything if it was 'Built the G&L way'. I would be so happy if my cheese grater was 'Built the G&L way'. Or 'My house is built the G&L way' would just mean it's rock-solid (you can get earthquake insurance without retrofitting and bolting the frame to the foundation), consists of first rate materials (actual 4x4's where needed), and has a killer finish. I certainly like that last part.

Over here in the Emerald City, there has definitely been some fall-out too; couple of houses in my neighborhood got foreclosed on. But the effects really depend on your fiels. In construction, the effect has been tremendous. But in my field, software development, the companies in the the area, including Microsoft, Amazon, Google, just kept hiring throughout the crises. Hence it has not really affected me personally. I changed jobs, twice, at my own initiative and know from being involved in hiring at my current employer that there are good jobs out there. But what has not changed is that it is really hard to find 'good' people even with all the 'supply'.

As far as you loaning your Hamer to your nephew: seems there is historical data on his 'return' record so you should know what you get yourself into ;) Sayz the man who borrowed his first guitar from his aunt and she has never seen it back either. No clue where that thing ended up come to think of it ...

- Jos

Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:01 pm

Good week you got going, Dick.

Economy: We're quite insulated here in suburban D.C. If the government shuts down though, all bets are off!

G&L Branded product: Easy. G&L Digestive Remedy. "We cure the GAS we give you!"

Man, I'm a bit baffled that you're lending that boy your Hamer when he's still got that other gear you "lent" him. Bastid is not getting mine! ;+)

- ed

Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:51 pm

"G&L Branded product: Easy. G&L Digestive Remedy. "We cure the GAS we give you!""

lol...good one...

Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:15 pm

G&L Branded: high-end appliances... I could see the car idea too. Minneapolis is faring as good as any.

Cheers,

Will

Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:21 pm

Hey Dick good to see you again, more familiar faces back in the fray. 8-)

Pick one non-guitar related product that you would buy if it were G&L branded and explain what the appeal would be.
Love to see a G&L cycling jersey, or better yet full kit. I do like sickbutnottired's Ford Explorer idea. How about G&L tire cover at least. Electronics... LG could now be GL, Life's Good can now be Got Leo? :happy0065:

How's the economy where you're at?
Not the greatest but not totally in the tank. Kind of like my work economy, people are just holding on to funds but a light shines every now and then.

Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:45 pm

Good post! I wish I could have come up with some of these questions when I did the lunch report.

G&L Question: I worked in a motorcycle shop for years when I was younger but I quit riding years ago. I guess it was some thing I got out of my system. I still have my license. But I have respect for good built motorcycles. What about a G&L custom motorcycle? FULLERTON STEEL!

Economy: Made it through 2009. 2010 was a lot better. 2011 is starting off good but when gas prices spiked our business droped off. If the gas prices keep going up I am going to start worry. But where I am at the economy has held up better than most places so far.

Chet

Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:05 am

Hey Dixie. Still waiting to see you post you had a Bells with lunch. :mrgreen:

Lunch: Kind of late with yesterday's lunch. I had two tostadas with left overs from Sundays dinner. But it's all gone now.

G&L non-muisca: Got to say, honestly, there isn't much I'd go after except maybe a hat. And it'd have to be a flex-fit. It's all I wear with this big 'ol bald spot called my head. I only wear flex-fit now because some friends approached me years ago with a concern that I'd get (a?) melanoma sitting in the sun light with a bald spot exposed with those "belted/strap" type baseball hats. I thought that really nice of them. So, flex-fit only.

non-G&L economy: Well, couple of things. A year ago last January my wife lost her job of 30 yrs after the company closed the business line she worked in - for 30 yrs. I managed to find her a contractor's position here where I work, however ...................
With budget woes and a possible Gov shut down, we're both looking at being furloughed. No pay on either side of the family. So, economy not looking so cool here. Normally I wouldn't even bring it up. But you asked. ;)

Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:46 am

KennyE wrote:Hey Dixie. Still waiting to see you post you had a Bells with lunch. :mrgreen:

I wish I could have a Bell's (or several) with lunch. It might make this place more tolerable. HAHA. I saw a bumper sticker on a car the other day: "Bell's Beer...it's like piercing your tongue but without the metal taste." (or something close to that) I laughed. I see the Oberon is out again, too. Must mean spring is just around the corner.

On a related note, we had a new (micro-)brewery open up here in town. Their first run of beers was screwed up; they used the same yeast for everything. Of course, everything then tasted the same. :? They got it straightened out, and their IPA is actually pretty good. I use Bell's Two Hearted Ale as my 'hoppiness barometer' though, and the local brew isn't quite up there. I think if they increased the bittering hops a little, and maybe dry hopped a bit more it'd be much better, but I'm not the master brewer, so... :)

Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:12 am

Dick Seacup wrote:
KennyE wrote:I use Bell's Two Hearted Ale as my 'hoppiness barometer' though, and the local brew isn't quite up there. I think if they increased the bittering hops a little, and maybe dry hopped a bit more it'd be much better, but I'm not the master brewer, so... :)

I like Bell's. I am an anti-wheat beer person, so Oberon is squarely in the not-for-me category, but think Bell's puts out some nice stuff. That said, I'm a Founder's guy. Devil Dancer has to be my favorite IPA (although it's a Tripel IPA, seasonal, and not the cheapest for everyday drinking), it's something special. I think their Red's Rye is a great anytime drinker. Their Centennial IPA is pretty nice too. Anyway, check it out if you're so inclined. And if you see any Devil Dancer it will have you picking hop resin out of your teeth. So give it a shot or, uh, even better, let me know who's got it in stock. :idea:

-Cheers

Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:03 am

I don't even know what an IPA is. ???

Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:24 am

KennyE wrote:I don't even know what an IPA is. ???

IPA is an acronym for "India Pale Ale." It is a type of beer that typically has a bitter edge to it, due to higher hop content. There are various theories as to why they are so 'hoppy.' I don't care about the 'why' so much. :D

Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:39 am

IPA also results in a medical condition called IPA (I Pee Alot). - ed

Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:41 pm

Hey DS,
Big two hearted fan myself.
Love hoppy beers.

Economy
I work with a ton of different kinds of businesses. I see ups and downs. Manufacturing still looks rough or possibly doomed. And the price of oil is going to hit them hard. Their stuff needs to get someplace right? Health care is still doing good from what I can see but the Government shutdown will have the biggest impact on that sector IMO. My company is hiring so that has to be a decent sign.
I will say this, I am working harder than I ever have before for less or equal money. And I know a ton of people that say the same thing. Less people doing more work.